Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

* War's A-brewin'!

There is a civil war brewing in Connlaoth! Check out its info page here and its plotting page here!
The SotE video game is accepting crafting item submissions right here!

Also, we have a Discord chat server! Check it out. 8D

Author Topic: The Not so Lonely Wilderness  (Read 283 times)

Offline PixelatedGlory

Re: The Not so Lonely Wilderness
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2018, 10:21:35 PM »
Mert carefully watched as the strange white crow flapped its way back towards the blankets strewn across the floor. He hadn't believed Deli when she had sent the thought 'Fox is woman, is friend,' but then the fox had become a crow and now it had turned back into a woman.

Mert sat back down on his bed with a sigh and rubbed his temples with his fingers. He stared in Asta's direction but it seemed like he was more in thought than actually looking at her. "What you are, it's more than my head can make sense of right now. As I said Deli thinks you are safe and you don't seem to be threatening at the moment." He slid the knife back in the sheath and moved it back to where it had been stored before.

"I guess this explains why you were out there in the snow..." Mert was suddenly interrupted by chittering form Deli and he turned to look towards her. They weren't making sounds but it looked very much like they were having some form of conversation. After a few silent minutes passed, Mert looked back towards Asta. "I'm not going to throw you out in the cold. I'm tired and i'm going back to sleep. You should do the same. If you happen to uh change as you called it, do me a favor and be quiet about it?"

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 10:20:22 AM »
Asta's cheeks went very red and she nodded quickly. "I'm, uh, sorry about that. It's kinda...hard to think straight, or at least human-ish, I mean-"

She cut herself off and ducked her head, blushing deeper. "I'll just...go to sleep," she mumbled, crawling back under the pile of blankets. "Thanks for...not stabbing me an all."

Offline PixelatedGlory

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »
Mert's expression softened significantly, "Just, just should have told me beforehand. I don't want to hurt you but that was not a good way to wake up." He then laid back down in bed, pulling his blankets back up.

Before going to sleep however, he turned back to Asta, "Would you feel more comfortable if Deli spent the night over there with you? That way if you change again she can keep you from causing any problems." He then glanced down at Deli, "And don't think I don't know you were part of the mischief, little scamp."

Deli squeaked and hid her face in her paws, then turned to wait for Asta's response. Mert rolled back over before she could make her decision.

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »
"Um, oh. Well... If she wants to." Asta smiled at the little creature and lifted up a corner of the blanket nest in brief invitation.

"Thank you, Mert," she murmured, glancing up at his back with another little smile. "Good night."

Offline PixelatedGlory

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 11:22:30 PM »
Deli squeaked and dove for the corner of the blanket nest, quickly curling up to enjoy the warmth once she was under the blankets. Her head just barely poked out so she could breathe. After a few wiggles to get herself even further tucked in she was ready to go back to sleep.

Mert thought he heard Asta say something after he rolled over, but it wasn't quite loud enough to make out. He figured if it was really important for him to hear she'd have repeated it or Deli might have let him know to roll back over. Instead he drifted back off to sleep. His dreams were filled with an ever-changing assortment of white animals. Some friendly while others were less so. Now that he was sleeping on his side, there was no more snoring from Mert.

Offline DragonSong

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
Asta passed the rest of the night relatively peacefully, curling her body around Deli's smaller form to conserve their warmth. Soon enough she'd buried herself in the blankets again, so tightly curled into the little nest that it was nearly impossible to tell if she was even there under all the fabric.

Offline PixelatedGlory

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2018, 04:34:06 PM »
Deli was in heaven. She was curled up safe and secure and she was very warm. She nestled in against Asta and allowed herself to become buried in the twisted nest of blankets right along with Asta.

If Mert was honest he would have admitted he missed having Deli curl up against him. That small warm bundle was something you might never miss until you experienced it once for yourself. He had been traveling with Deli for a long time.

Whether it was because of Deli's absence or the startling wake up in the middle of the night, Mert's wild dreams made him quietly toss and turn in his sleep. Eventually morning came and he grumbled his way out to take a leak outside. It was still snowing lightly but the wind had died down greatly.

When he came back into the tent, he set to work rekindling the fire so it would be warmer by the time Asta and Deli woke. He also pulled a strip of dried meat out of his bag to chew on.

Tags: