Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Welcome to Our World [M]

Started by DragonSong, March 28, 2018, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh thank gods," Gwen sighed, evidently as relieved to hear the answer as Sharrow was baffled and embarrassed to give it. Wrinkling up her nose, she added in a dark mutter, "I'm not sure about other vampires, but my sire... Yeah. He would have done something like that."

Even the thought of Lorian was enough to make her stomach turn. She looked away, already pale skin blanching a few shades.

quaggan

Right.

He probably shouldn't have said that. Welcoming new allies shouldn't be done by reminding them of past horrors. Even if it did bring the conversation to the topic he was interested in. While Sharrow has not encountered the fabled Lorian before, he heard plenty of cautionary tales and stories about his depravity. Such tasteless actions probably weren't something Lorian would find as repulsive.

If all the other vampires she's met so far were Lorian and possibly his servants, no wonder she considered everyone to be just as monstrous. That would make his assignment more difficult, but perhaps he could pin his hopes on her intellect. "I won't ask you to give your trust just because I ask you to - but allow me to ask for your attention instead. You've lived in this castle for but a short time, but I hope it has been enough to show at least a few differences."

DragonSong

Gwen glanced sidelong at him, silent, lips pursed.

Then, after several long moments, she inclined her head to him slightly. "You're right," she admitted quietly as she turned her attention back to the path ahead of them. "This place is...different."

quaggan

That was a relief to hear - not just because he got a little closer to achieving his objective. If she was amenable to reason, this meant he could use this method in the future, should there be need. He could handle people who weren't reasonable, of course - but it was always good to know what to use and what to avoid.

Time to press on. "But I won't expect you to act on a foundation as shaky as a few days' time. And while I cannot claim to know your specific moral code, the concerns you have raised so far, such as the nature of feeding on humans, and... vampire sires potentially abusing their progeny, I believe that those are in line with what Lord Saroian is trying to achieve. And, should you have any concerns regarding the ethics of our actions, I will make sure that they are heard." It was a promise he felt comfortable making - he knew that his master was dedicated to this course of action, and would want to hear from any potential ally.

DragonSong

Gwen was silent for several long moments more, twining her fingers absently through Teirna's mane.

"I...could stay. A while," she murmured eventually, sighing.

quaggan

That was a success - a small one, but a success nevertheless. "Of course. Lord Saroian would want you to make an informed decision." This way was not just ethical, but also carried more practical benefits - it was better to have steadfast allies than temporary tools to use, then quickly dispose of before they learn the truth.

He should probably lay off for now - she seemed to be the type of a person that would only get frustrated, when pushed. "If there's something you need, or a question you'd like answered, feel free to make your request known to the castle staff. Or me." He probably qualified as castle staff, but it was better to make sure.

They were getting close to the split near the large boulder. It would be a stretch to call it a 'crossroads', but Sharrow's vocabulary, like everything else, was not enough. "The road will soon split" he finally worded it. "The left path is a dead end now - an avalanche a few months ago blocked it."

DragonSong

"And the right." She chuckled softly as the mare beneath her seemed to prance a bit, tossing her head. "Teirna needs to be let out a bit. Anywhere we can just...run?"

quaggan

Sharrow thought about it. "Well, after the other path winds around the mountain over there, it should be straight and reasonably long for some time. If you just want to ride your friend uninterrupted and without need to turn too much, it should be fine. The road is narrow, but you appear to be a far better rider than I, and your horse probably knows what she's doing too. Or he."

DragonSong

Gwen rolled her eyes. "She," she chuckled gently. "Please tell me you at least know if your own horse is a mare or a gelding."

Her words were rather cutting, but something in her tone was...playful. And her crimson eyes were warm rather than steely, as they had been.

quaggan

Sharrow made a mental note to learn more about horses. Being able to avoid the disdain of their new ally was enough of a motivation, but there was also a variation of more practical reasons. "This one... is a mare." As far as he knew, there were no salt-and-pepper geldings in the stable. That was a safe bet.

"You seem to be quite knowledgeable about horses" he observed.

DragonSong

"I should hope so," Gwen laughed, rolling her eyes. "I'm a--"

Her smile suddenly shrank, expression closing off slightly. "I...was a hostler. And a horse trainer, sometimes. Before. I've got a knack with them, I guess."

quaggan

"That explains it... I noticed that the other horses weren't too fearful of you" he commented. Animals didn't like strangers, and some vampires spooked them - perhaps they had a strange smell to them. But nothing happened in the stables - maybe Gwen's expertise showed through.

"You don't have to spend all the time cooped up in your room" he pointed out. He felt like he was stating the obvious and was about to get sassed for being patronizing, but he was willing to take the risk. "I'm sure the staff at the stables would welcome your help. Most of the horses are somehow used to vampires, so they shouldn't panic at your presence."

DragonSong

"Mm." She dropped her eyes to watch her own fingers twining through Tierna's mane. "I...thought about it. I guess I just...was worried they'd be scared of me."

True, it would make sense for the horses in this particular castle to be used to vampires, but...she couldn't help worrying about it. She'd had her fair share of horses spook at her mere presence since she'd  been turned, and each time it broke her heart a little.

quaggan

"We can talk to the stablehands once we return" Sharrow offered. "They would probably know best which horses are most used to vampire presence." He probably shouldn't start by offering her Lord Saroian's favourite mount, but there was plenty of other animals who had time to get accustomed to whatever strangeness was spooking them. After all, this castle was filled with vampires. "And they had experience teaching them to stop being afraid, so perhaps they can offer you some advice."

DragonSong

Gwen nodded slowly. "Yeah... I noticed the horses here seem pretty relaxed about all the...vampire stuff."

quaggan

Sharrow nodded. "It wouldn't make sense otherwise. I mean, while I'm not the only human working in the castle, our staff is a mix of all kinds, and it would be a problem if our animals panicked at vampire presence. And if it's the smell that causes the problem, I'd wager the entire castle is infused with it. But my human senses wouldn't be able to pick up on it."

If they were to be allies, he should aim to make Gwen more comfortable in the castle, and it looked like he made progress on that front. He didn't forget about his assignment, of course, and it looked like this was the best moment to steer the course of the conversation back onto the subject of Lorian. She mentioned him earlier, and while it wasn't in the pleasant circumstances, at least it meant she wasn't unwilling to talk about him. Now, he only had to bring it up...

"Was it different at your sire's place?" he asked. "Did he use animals that are better accustomed to vampires than horses?"

DragonSong

Gwen stiffened. For a long moment, it seemed as though she wasn't going to answer.

Then she released a quiet breath and shook her head. "No. He...created things. Creatures of blood magic and other dark sorcery."

quaggan

For one second, Sharrow thought that he messed up and only made her more uncomfortable, but then she spoke. He kept his relief hidden - it would only make the situation more awkward if she noticed. He listened attentively, committing every word to memory. So Lorian was capable of creating beasts that would serve him? From what he heard about the vampire lord, making slaves from scratch suited him better than trying to get allies the hard way. Either way, creating life sounded very important, and he should probably share this information with Lord Saroian.

"Is this why you lef-" he quickly shut his mouth and swallowed his question. He shouldn't push his luck. "No, I shouldn't pry. I'm sorry."

DragonSong

She tensed up again. "There are a lot of reasons I left."

With a sharp click and a quick squeeze, she urged Teirna into a short canter, springing ahead of her riding companion.

quaggan

Sharrow's first instinct was to pursue, but he knew better than just to act on any impulse he might have. He pushed too far, it was natural that she'd react poorly. It would probably be the best to give her her space - and hope that she didn't take this chance to flee, and that the promise of spending some quality time in the castle stables would bring her back. And if she was going to run away, he probably wouldn't be able to pursue her - not only was she a vampire, but a better rider anyway.

He should be glad to have at least gotten some information - as little time as he had to observe her, it was enough to recognize that she wasn't very comfortable with her situation, and her time with Lorian must have been very unpleasant. No wonder, considering the reputation the old vampire had. It would probably take time - time that she would probably be given. Lord Saroian was a kind and a patient person, after all - unless they were under time constraints, it was a safe bet to say that he wouldn't want Sharrow to press.

He carefully manoeuvred the horse back towards the castle. The stablehands were surprised to see him alone. "Scared her off, did you?" one sighed. "No wonder. You're cute, but the charm disappears the moment you open your mouth."

"Speaking of our guest, she is fond of horses" Sharrow began. "Since they do not usually reciprocate such feelings coming from vampires, she was naturally quite glad to hear that you managed to train ours not to panic at vampire presence. Please keep it in mind once she returns."

He left the stablehands chatting amiably about horses, training and other things that went over his head, but Gwen could probably discuss with them. He headed straight to the tower that housed Lord Saroian's office - he wanted to immediately report on his progress, as little as he had to say. He raised his hand and knocked on the door.