Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Doing the Right Thing (Viscount Rhi-Rhi)

Started by PixelatedGlory, April 03, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PixelatedGlory

For the most part it seemed like the woman disguised as a man was just playing along and humoring Arden. She had been nodding and smiling here and there as he spoke but it was pretty clear she really didn't care all that much. He wasn't terribly surprised. After all the only reason she was sitting there at all is she had been afraid of making a scene and getting arrested for stealing from him. Still, she had to realize sitting here with him was better than the alternative. Spending more time on the streets alone or possibly the jail.

However there was a spark of interest at some of what he was saying. "Of course I leave Connlaoth. Do you really think a marked man like as myself could earn much of a living here? As for where I go? Well you'll just have to stay a little while longer to find out." With a wink he held up a one hand to stop her from responding and used the other to get the attention of the serving woman. "Excuse me ma'am but could I trouble you for some food to go with my drinks? Whatever the house's special is fine." The woman nodded and then glanced over towards Rook. A questioning stare, as if she was asking for her order as well.

Arden was having mixed feelings. On one hand he really didn't like making people feel uncomfortable but on the other Rook had stolen from him. He had settled on allowing her to feel a little uncomfortable while also showing her some kindness. With any luck she would treat today as a net positive.

Rhindeer

There was a brief moment of frustration when the man dodged her question--just as she had dodged his. Well played, sir. But even as she saw that maneuver for what it was, it made her a little more nervous, the usual paranoia gnawing at her brain. He had hooked her with curiosity, and had just revealed his motive to get her to stay longer. But why? He knew she wanted to get away as quickly as she could, and he kept supplying reasons for her to remain.

Part of her reasoned he was just lonely, or just genuinely trying to be a good person, sheltering a thief instead of turning them in, teaching them a solid lesson in the process. But the skittish, cynical part of her feared it might still be a trap, and she just hadn't noticed the snare looping around her neck, waiting to pull tight.

But he was a mage. What motive could he have? Paranoid, paranoid. She needed to stop that. Vigilance was good, but she also knew that too much of it could have the opposite effect. It could make her miss other details.

She turned her from from Arden to the serving woman, and then looked back to him with a raised brow. Was it...okay if she ordered more? Because she was likely going to need it. Getting tipsy was a bad idea, but what he'd had so far had clearly not been enough. She needed the calm. Well, she imagined he'd say something if he objected, and he knew she had no money, so after a pause she nodded. "What he got."

Taking up her mug, she finished it off in a quick gulp. "That's alright. You don't have to tell me where you go," she said quietly. "It's just...only way I know out's through the mountains. It always seemed so impossible."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

PixelatedGlory

She sure seems interested in leaving the country. Or at least in my comings and goings. Maybe... no, there's no way she is a spy. She'd have to be a damn good actress to fake that nervousness. Besides, i'm a good law abiding citizen as far as the church is aware.

Arden had already decided how much longer he was going to stay at that particular tavern. After eating his food and having one more drink he was going to head out to look for an inn to stay at. The woman in disguise seemed like she intended to stay at least to enjoy the food on his coin so  he would have conversation until that was finished. The thief would then be free to leave. Perhaps humbled and embarrassed a little bit, but no one would be harmed in the end. There were far worse fates for a thief who picked the wrong mark.

He had noticed the look Rook had given him in response to the serving woman. Arden was fully aware that the thief couldn't afford the meal, and fairly certain she knew that he knew. Had she tried to order anything lavish, not that this establishment could really provide too much, he would have swiftly cut in but that didn't appear to be necessary. However before the serving woman had left completely he got her attention and pointed towards their mugs. One more round of drinks and that would be the end of it.

"I see you still have no problem separating me from my coin," he pointed out in a low voice and then chuckled. "At least now you're not doing it behind my back. You're absolutely correct that I don't have to tell you anything, but I will. I did say I would answer you if you stayed didn't I?"

Arden picked up his mug again and took a swig. He intended to finish it before the food arrived. "Impossible alone perhaps. The trick is to find people to travel with. Serendipity is pretty nice this time of year. I'm actually able to work without restrictions down there. Though of course I keep my mark displayed and don't allow myself to succumb to illegal temptations." He lightly tapped the mark sewn into his armor.

Rhindeer

"Would you...perhaps know of any groups traveling that way?"

Perhaps it was ballsy to ask. For all Rook knew, this man could be playing her. She had heard of mages being bribed to work against their own--not that he had any way of knowing she was also a mage--and she was certain the military had its share of spies keeping eyes and ears open for other suspicious signs. They would certainly keep their finger on the pulse of any groups leaving the nation.

But the only way to get information was to take risks.

She cleared her throat, fingers drawing patterns in the condensation on her mug.

"I've got family down there. A sister. I need to get to her, make sure she's okay. We got separated, so...I just need to find a way to get to her."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

PixelatedGlory

Arden raised an eyebrow at her question. She was either a spy looking for possible escaping mages, a possibility which he had mostly decided to discount earlier, or she was looking to get out of the country for whatever reason. It explained why that topic had drawn so much interest from her. He wasn't going to duck her questions but he was still going to be careful until he was assured of her motives.

"I don't know of any groups headed that way off-hand but there are a few trade caravans that head towards the southern border. I'm probably going to hook up with one to work as protection for them," he said casually as he lightly knocked on his leather armor. It was still too soon for him to go into specifics. He actually did know one caravaneer who was preparing to depart from Uthlyn for Northwatch province in Serendipity within the next few days. If he decided to trust this thief it could be possible that she could join up as well. They'd have to figure out a story though. The guards at the border were good at sniffing out secrets.

He watched as Rook cleared her throat and nervously ran her fingers across her mug. He didn't exactly believe her when she told him about her sister. She was acting nervous enough that there had to be a reason. Besides she had already shown herself to be keen on deceiving people.

Before he could answer however the serving woman came back with their dinners. Nothing about the food seemed fancy but it did smell delicious and hearty. It was some form of stew accompanied by a hunk of bread. When the woman asked if they would like another round of drinks Arden quickly spoke up and declined for the both of them. He made sure the woman was paid for her service and then she left to go tend to the others.

Arden slowly began eating his food as he watched Rook and tried to figure out what he wanted to do. He wasn't sure whether to help her get across the border or not. If she was up to no good then it would be a lot of risk for him. It could very well mean he could never return home to see his brothers and sisters. It would break Yora and Khent's hearts to never be able to see him again, to say nothing of how he would feel about it.

Rhindeer

Trade caravans heading toward the southern border. That had to mean they were heading into Serendipity--where else would they be going to trade? If she could just find out where to find those caravans, maybe she could go with them. She wasn't sure how she would convince them to take her, what she could possibly offer when she had nothing, but...she had to try something. She couldn't stay here. There was nothing for her here but death.

Now how to navigate this...?

Her thoughts were halted when the server brought their food, and she was abruptly reminded of how famished she was. The stress of this encounter had made everything else drop off the priority list, but the sight and smell of food, right in front of her nose, made it come rushing back in with vengeance and shove food right back to the top. Her eyes widened at the sight, her stomach rumbling painfully; it was the first hot meal she had in who knows how long?

She needed no invitation. Pulling her bowl closer to her, she tucked into her meal, spooning stew into her mouth and yelping and fanning herself when she burned her tongue. But too hot or not, it tasted like heaven in the moment, and she slowed down just enough to blow on her food before she shoveled down more. She had to remind herself to chew.

It was only once she'd taken the edge off that she came up for air--and because she realized the meal came with bread. She broke off a chunk and swirled it in her stew. "Point me in their direction?" she said, speaking around a mouthful. She swallowed it down and took a bite of bread, barely pausing to breathe. "I'll stay outta your hair. Promise."

PixelatedGlory

Arden could practically see the gears turning in the woman's head. She was hanging on every word he spoke when he mentioned the trade caravans. It was enough that he was becoming more and more sure that Rook was not some sort of spy. A spy would have tried to be more casual about it and let Arden reveal information slowly without pushing for it. No, she seemed more like a desperate person glimpsing a ray of hope.

In all honesty if Arden decided to try to help Rook it wouldn't have been the first time he helped someone get over the border. He wasn't running some sort of secret program to help people escape Connlaoth but there had been a few mages and other desperate people he had agreed to help. It was extremely dangerous though.

Rook had taken to the food so quickly that she apparently had burned herself on the hot stew. "You don't need to inhale the food you know. It will still be there if you take the time to keep yourself from choking on it or burning yourself," he chuckled as he continued slowly but steadily eating his own food.

It was a little difficult to understand the ravenous woman as she tried to talk while eating but Arden thought he heard the jist of what she was saying. She was asking him to help her find a caravan that was headed across the border. There was only so much longer he could stall while he decided what to do. He used the excuse of eating to remain silent for a little bit.

Ultimately, as he neared finishing his own bowl of stew he had made his decision to at least direct her to Uthlyn. He couldn't give her all the details until they were there though. Still far too many ears and eyes in the Reajh that she could sell the information to. "Ok, you don't cause trouble and I can take you to see someone. Not here in this city though," he said very quietly as he leaned in. It wasn't like they were actually doing anything illegal at that point but it still paid to be careful. Arden looked around to make sure no one was listening in before he added a little bit more, "I'm leaving in the morning if you wish to come."

Rhindeer

That got Rook to pause, spoon hovering before her lips.

Oof. That...she wasn't sure how to respond to that. His offer to take her to see this person. What she'd really wanted were directions. Going with him, with a man she didn't know, but who knew she was criminal, sounded like a fool thing to do. It could be a trap. He could turn her in. He could--

Those were the ramblings of paranoia, though, and not reason. Why would he go through such an elaborate effort to turn her in when he could call out right then and there and have the guards swoop in? And he was a man. She shouldn't be alone with a strange man! Who knew what sorts of intentions he--oh. No. Right. She was disguised. He didn't know she was a woman, as far as she knew.

And this might be her one shot. She could take the risk, and if it seemed too risky, if there were any red flags, she could bolt. If things got really desperate, she could fight, risky as that was.

Okay. She could do this.

"If you don't mind?" she said, her stew dripping off her spoon and splattering back into the bowl as she held it still, though she didn't notice. "You're, uh...you're okay with that? I mean, after I, you know...after what I did?"

Tags: