Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Business As (Un)usual [Open~ Somewhat M-ish]

Started by Remi, May 14, 2018, 04:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remi

What a fucking shame he didn't last longer, Lycoris had finished tending the fire and cleaning and sheathing her daggers as Reinhardt approached, shaking her head at his apology. "No need to worry, this one wanted to rob you though, so I stopped him." There was a note of amusement in her voice, standing back up again and stretching.

Realizing that the mercenary hadn't even bothered to throw a half-assed excuse her way, she tried her best to pull off a deadpan expression; people came and went as they pleased, including the swordsman; she was no slaver, after all! However, feeling much better after having been fed and patched up, getting some sleep and having the pleasure of gutting another thief, there was no harm in teasing him a little- if she could pull it off. Stamping a foot, resting a hand on her hip and tossing her head in an attempt to mimick an offended lady she'd see in the streets, "Oh, you bastard!" She breathed, hoping to sound sufficiently offended.

"You dared to go off and leave me while I was sleeping?" The thief wasn't even aware that she'd begun to move, starting to close the distance between herself and the mercenary in slow, seemingly calculated steps, "For all I know, you were bored to tears and wanting to take a walk!" The affronted mask was very quickly slipping, the corners of her lips twitching, "Then, when you get back, you have the gall to apologize for a thief finding his way here, that he got past you? Well... next time you decide to keep first watch, dammit, stay in one place and be bored!"

That was it; Lycoris wasn't able to keep up the act any longer. An extremely unladylike snort was quickly followed by mischievous laughter, managing to choke out: "You've got nothing to be sorry for, you didn't do a damn thing wrong."

Crankshot

As the plant woman closed on him, her tirade continuing until she was close enough that they were separated by mere inches, the mercenary stood silent, face unreadable. Even as Lycoris' facade cracked and she descended into laughter, he stood silent, for a few more seconds, before turning to head back into the darkness, calling over his shoulder, "If you're well enough to fight, and well enough to try fucking with me, then help me haul these bodies into the light so we can see if they've anything worthwhile on them. There's two corpses. The third.... Isn't a concern."

Whether she followed him or not, the mercenary made his way back out to the corpse of the elf, and the headless orc, and the bundle from the witch, not fifty yards from the edge of the clearing. The bundle he slung over one shoulder, and then grabbed the orc by an arm and began dragging the body back to the camp.

Remi

The plant-woman was reasonably well; or at least well enough that she wasn't in danger of bleeding to death any longer, unless she did something remarkably stupid that would cause her injury to tear itself open again; such as trying to face down too many opponents, or trying to leap from a rooftop once again. It would still be a while before she could get up to such antics, but the thief wasn't overly concerned by anything of the sort. Nor did the prospect of helping move corpses bother her at all. "Alright, let's go." Any pretense of fucking around dropped as quickly and easy as they'd begun, she would follow the mercenary back to where the confrontations had taken place.

And stopped in her tracks for a few seconds, taking in the sight of the bloodbath, "Fuck. What happened- and are you okay?" The thief inquired, grabbing hold of the elf's corpse and settling it across her shoulders, a few of her vines shifting and wrapping around her burden to help keep it from slipping too much. Though the corpse was a bit heavier than it looked, she would begin carrying it back to camp without complaint, listening for the sounds of anything that might have tried to approach.

Crankshot

"I went to check on that snapped twig you said was probably nothing. Found these two, and a third I had to chase down." Dropping the corpse, and the bundle on the ground near the campfire, the mercenary began rifling through pockets and pouches."Found out there's a camp nearby with more of them. Probably where your guy came from."

A few coins on the orc, his weaponry, while effective in the hands of someone with half a brain, was a bare step above scrap metal. A cursory glance through the witch's belongings revealed nothing. Though a deeper inspection may have yielded more, Reinhardt wanted nothing more than to burn the whole lot and rid the world of all trace of this Blood-Witch.

"I'm not taking any gods damned chances." the mercenary stared off into the darkness, in the direction the attackers came from, "We finish looting these corpses, and I'm tracking down that fucking camp."

The leather on his gauntlet creaked as his fist clenched, and his eyes narrowed dangerously, "You're welcome to come with me, Lycoris, or stay here and try to get some more rest."

It was at this point that Reinhardt's voice lowered to something nearing a growl, as his stance fairly radiated malice, and barely contained violence, "Either way, I WILL see these worthless wastes of flesh dead by daybreak. And when I say dead, I mean seriously dead. Beaten, broken. Their heads mounted on my wall kind of dead!"

Remi

"My apologies; I'd thought it had been a possum or something else harmless," She stated as she lowered the elf's corpse to the ground. "Son of a bitch, do you know what they might have wanted?" That was asked as she began rifling through the elf's belongings, tossing a few objects -a letter that she couldn't read, a map and what she presumed to be a few useless trinkets- into one pile, followed by a clear crystal egg with orange mist swirling inside it and an onyx figurine carved in the shape of a serpent. Other than a handful of coins and the elf's weapons and finery, there really wasn't anything noteworthy that she was aware of.

"I don't blame you; if there's more of these stupid bastards around, who knows what they might try next," She moved over to the "thief's" corpse and removed the mask, tossing it into that same pile. He'd been carrying a pouch that was half-full of silver coins, along with an assprtment of torture implements: a couple of push-daggers and thumb-screws, a silver garotte wire, a few vials of poison, though nothing exceptionally interesting.

"Of course I'm going to come with you," Lycoris stated, "It doesn't make any gods damned sense. I want to see what the fuck's going on and that is my kind of dead." She didn't understand why bandits would have been as wealthy as these seemed to be, or -if they really were bandits- it sounded like they preferred stealth and to ambush, rather than acting like typical highwaymen; maybe they were just more organized than usual? "I can't wait to get my hands on these donkey fuckers." Unless Reinhardt took interest in the rest of the loot, she was ready to get moving.

Crankshot

"I don't know what they wanted, nor do I particularly care. Bandits, brigands, thieves, some sort of bounty hunter, it matters not. An enemy is an enemy."

With that, the mercenary strode out of the clearing with the air of purpose. The friendliness and warmth he had shown Lycoris earlier was gone. Should she care to notice, the plant woman would see that at every instant, the swordsman appeared ready to move in any given direction. His voice sounded cold, distant, like a north wind in mid winter.

Finding the path wasn't difficult, and neither was following it. Reinhardt gave no thought to stealth this time. He wasn't hunting interlopers anymore. This time, he was executing enemies.

The mercenary kept an eye on the path they walked as he retraced the steps of the three he recently killed. "Unless I'm seriously mistaken, we're about fifteen minutes from wherever these whoresons started out. Stay alert. We don't know how many of them there are."

Remi

"Alright." The thief had only asked because she'd been curious. She fell in step quite easily. Though she did notice the change in the mercenary's demeanor, heard the frigid chill in his voice, she didn't appear to give much thought to it. In turn, the swordsman might have noticed that the formerly quite inquisitive plant-woman didn't seem to have much to say; carrying herself with the easy grace of a stalking panther, her movements silent; if he was the cold northern wind, she was the calm, soundless eye of the storm.

It was almost laughable, how easy it seemed to find where their trail was. The thief's eyes darted about as they continued onward; quickly taking in their surroundings, watching and listening for the faintest sign of movement, anything untoward. "Understood," Was the only acknowledgement Lycoris would offer as they continued.

When they'd made it a little over halfway down the meandering trail, Lycoris would come to a halt, holding up one finger and tilting her head, eyes closing for the span of a few breaths as she concentrated, listening. Leaves. Wind. More of the same. Ahh, voices, got you! Opening her eyes, she would glance at Reinhardt briefly, "To the right, now. Fuckers are talking. At least two, could be more. Be ready." With that, she would begin stalking in that direction, tense, poised and ready to spring, vines writhing as though in anticipation.

Crankshot

The mercenary continued in silence beside the plant woman, until she stopped him. When she spoke, and then began making her way in the indicated direction, Reinhardt stepped past her and spoke low,"Lycoris, let me take point, and get their attention. Then you strike when you see an opening."

He glanced back at her, "I'm not doubting your abilities, but I'm wearing armor, and you seem naturally suited to ambush strikes," he offered as explanation. Continuing in the direction Lycoris had intimated, the swordsman came to a halt when he began to hear the voices.

Ancestors, guide my blade.

Keeping his blade on his back, but unlimbered for swift drawing, the mercenary took a deep breath and strode openly into the bandit camp, as though he owned the place.

Remi

The plant-woman was glad that the mercenary didn't seem too keen on conversation, until she stopped him. When she'd tried to work with another thief a few weeks ago, that had ended badly, simply because some people just had no clue when it was a good idea to keep your mouth shut. "I've got no problem with that," Her voice was just above a whisper as she fell back.

Lycoris nodded; it did make a lot of sense. "Reinhardt, it makes sense to me. I could probably flush them out, but since there's more than one of the bastards, that would be pretty damn stupid." She would murmurr with a nod, continuing onward a few paces behind him, acting as cover. When they made their way to the camp, she would gesture at the tall grasses and incline her head briefly; trying to noiselessly convey: Go for it, I'll cover you.

With that, she would stride a few steps to the left, crouching in the waist-high grass, using it as camoflauge, making her way into the camp, hanging back just a few steps, watching; neither daggers nor a throwing knife drawn just yet- waiting for the first opening.

This should be fun!

---

"Are ya stupid? I already tol' ya, I'm not goin' to spot ya no gold fer no whore when we're done here!" A warrior woman sneered at a rather stupid-looking oaf with an axe, "Yer lucky enough as it is to still be with us!"

"Is that so? You're not my mother, so you can't say shit like that!"

"Boss isn't back yet, so I can say what I want!"

Even though the pair seemed to be arguing back and forth, both appeared to just be goading the other. If they weren't friends, they were probably at least self-proclaimed rivals, arguing for the sake of doing so. However, the sound of footsteps alerted them to the presence of someone drawing near, as though they belonged here. The arguing stopped in an instant, the axe-wielding fool not even bothering (yet) to see who it was, choosing instead to speak up with:

"That you, Kit? Start cooking, then- we're hungry."

The warrior, just slightly smarter than the average stump, climbed to her feet, staggering a bit and fumbling for just a few seconds as she finally yanked her sword free of its scabbard, peering at the newcomer with bleary, reddish eyes as she brandished her blade at the mercenary. "Not Kit, jus' some luckless bastard. What do you want?" The drunk buffoon demanded, clearly eager for a fight.

"Not Kit? Oh shit, Farra..." The axe-wielder warned in a low growl, finally getting up off his useless ass, trying to move in and flank the mercenary.

---

Upon hearing the commotion from perhaps eight feet above the camp, the archer was finally roused from his doze; longbow drawn and nocked as he tried to get a good view of the newcomer. If Farra and Toad would have just managed to stop moving for a second, he would have already had the trespasser in his sight. Toad, move your stupid ass back! Farra, you bitch!

Crankshot

As the bandits approached him, the mercenary raised his hands in apparent surrender, while adopting a wide friendly grin, that coincidentally didn't reach his eyes. Though the bandits were probably too dense to notice.

"Greetings friends!" he exclaimed as the two moved to flank him.

Come on morons, just a little closer.

As they stepped closer to each other, Reinhardt continued, "I seem to have taken a wrong turn in the darkness, could I possibly share.." NOW!! he cut off mid sentence the instant he saw them both within range, and evidently too stupid to adopt a proper stance. Raised arms snapped to sword handle, and as he drew and slashed in a single fluid motion, he added a twist to his hips and torso that would increase both the speed and power of the attack, turning his movement into a blur.

Unless the bandits were far better positioned than they appeared, and incredibly lucky, the swordsman's cleaving attack would carve open the bellies of both Toad and Farra, possibly cutting them clean in half if they had no time to move backwards at all.

Remi

"Heyla!" The drunkard called Farra exclaimed, not sober enough to assume a proper fighting stance. In her eyes, she was facing three opponents that wouldn't quit swaying and shifting around. "Share wha...?" Farra's question trailed off in a gurgling sound; not even managing to scream or move backward as she was cleaved in half. Toad was not quite so lucky; managing to emit a whining squeal and backpedaling a few steps before the useless, sniveling lout was swiftly gutted, sinking to his knees and uselessly grasping at his entrails, before simply collapsing. What a shame that he'd been too stupid to follow the simple orders that had been "unless it's me, kill anything that finds the camp."

---

Kit had finally returned to the camp, entering behind the (supposed) newcomer to their band and looking forward to a drink and maybe a game of dice, if either Farra or Toad were sober enough for it. With an armload of firewood, halberd slung casually across his back, what he was looking at didn't immediately register. "Heyla, Toad, Farra! I see you--"

That sentence trailed off into an embarrassingly high-pitched shriek as a throwing knife seemed to imbed itself to the hilt in the imbecile's sandaled foot. A pair of green arms wrapped around his neck from behind, "Let me show you a good time," A soft, feminine voice purred in his ear. What a shame that the dumbfounded, agonized halberdier did not realize that a dagger was pressed to his throat-- not until steel bit through leather and deeply into flesh; slicing through the bumbling fool's esophagus.

Her head snapped up as a branch overhead cracked, the leaves rattling and bouncing in a manner that revealed it was not just the breeze. Rising to her feet and running the three yards that seperated her from the tree that the archer crouched in, Lycoris began ascending as the bastard finally loosed an arrow that did not quite fly true: rather than hitting its target while the mercenary below fell Farra, it would land a mere few feet from Reinhardt.

The archer, focused on drawing and firing again, would never see if his second arrow would find its target or not. For the plant-woman's daggers would again quickly find their targets; one slicing the archer's back open at a diagonal; the other thrust into the back of his neck, just below his skull, twisted and wrenched free. A swift kick would send the archer sailing from the branch quite gracefully, like a bird of prey, tumbling head over heels and hitting the ground with a low, wet thud.

Daggers momentarily tucked into her bandages, Lycoris would descend again, carefully climbing down five or six branches. Once she was standing on a branch not much wider than her feet were, a mere four feet above the ground, she would just hop down, landing on the balls of her feet, moving to rejoin the mercenary. "I didn't hear or see anyone else, but that might not mean anything." She kept her voice pitched low, in case she was mistaken.

Crankshot

As his targets fell, Reinhardt spun around at the sound of a third man entering the campsite, only to see him quickly felled by Lycoris. As she sprinted to the tree, the mercenary raised a bemused eyebrow at the arrow that hit the dirt near him. He simply set about scabbarding his greatsword and watching the plant woman finish off the archer silently.

Look at her move. Ah, Ancestors, it's like the grace of a weeping willow and the deadliness of a panther.

As Lycoris descended the tree to caution him, the swordsman nodded, then set to work stripping the corpses of anything that seemed useful or valuable.

Taking the cloak from the one he had gutted, rather than the one that had been bisected, He started piling weapons, bags, belt pouches.

"Let's be quick about this, we can rummage in better detail back at our camp. I'll take drunk and drunker, if you wanna get firewood and unlucky archer. Oh! and definitely grab that halberd. I'm going to need it." With that he went back to grabbing anything that looked like it might hold something of use of value from the corpses or from around the camp.

Remi

The plant woman resheathed her daggers, glancing around the campsite briefly to reassure herself that she hadn't mistakenly overlooked anyone else's approach. "That's a damn good idea. It's safe for now, but why push our luck? I'd rather do that over a game. I've got them, let's hope they were all worth our time."

With that, she made her way first to the archer, relieving the unlucky sod of his pouches, a few pieces of valuable-looking jewelry and a pretty little red-bladed knife; unfortunately, its jeweled hilt left it unbalanced and she couldn't hope to decipher the sigils that flashed along the blade; those smaller pouches were tucked into her own, the knife tucked into her halter for the time being. The longbow had snapped when the archer hit the ground, which was a damn shame.

Moving on to the halberdier,she stripped him of his valuables and anything that might have been useful or interesting; he'd carried twice as much as the archer, which Lycoris thought seemed at promising. Finally, she retrieved the halberd, seeing nothing else that looked interesting or useful. "Stupid bastards were doing well," She stated with a pleased smirk as she rejoined Reinhardt again, "Need help carrying anything else?"

Crankshot

"No, I don't need help carrying anything. Now, let's see here," Reinhardt glanced around the bandit camp, marking the locations of the bodies as he slid the handle of the halberd into the bundle he had made.

Touching a rune on the back of his belt, and another on his scabbard strap, a third and fourth on the outside of his left thigh, and a fifth on the underside of his right gauntlet, he then whispered, "Mother Earth, take them home."

Kneeling, the mercenary placed both hands on the ground, and fissures in the earth tore open beneath the bodies of the bandits, dropping them underground, then closed back up, as if they were never there.

"There we go." Standing, Reinhardt slung the halberd bundle over his shoulder and turned to leave, taking care to cover his and Lycoris' tracks as they made their way back to their own camp.

Remi

"Alright." Lycoris stated simply as she looked around the bandits' camp, head cocked; watchful, wary and doing her best to make sure that they weren't pushing their luck too far. Once she was quite certain that she didn't hear or see any new arrivals (yet,) she would adjust the newly-acquired loot, so those pouches and bags wouldn't jingle or rattle.

Damn, he's impressive, She watched Reinhardt employ his strange magic to bury the corpses; when the fissures closed again, to her, it looked like the bandits had simply left. It was a feat that -had she not just observed it- she wouldn't have thought possible.

The walk back to their camp was quite peaceful and it was extremely unlikely that the bandits' leader would have been able to trail them, what with the mercenary's careful masking of their tracks. Once they made it back, she would drop herself gracelessly to the ground and begin rummaging through her newest acquisitions.

Some coin pouches, a few liquor skins, jewelry, the map case, a deck of cards and a small carving of a golden hind went into the "this is interesting and possibly valuable, let's split it" pile. Three new throwing knives replaced the ones that she'd lost during the fights. Finally, that ornate, red-bladed knife was pulled from her halter. Flipping it between her fingers, she frowned; as the plant woman had thought, the weight was definitely unbalanced; she didn't think it could be used as either a thrusting or slashing blade, so maybe it was a parrying knife?

"Oh..." It was little more than a perplexed sound in the back of her throat; questioning her assessment of its use and beginning to think it might have just been an ornamental weapon; a pretty little blade carried for show by nobles. However, that frown quickly grew deeper, more confused and concerned as the sigils again shone on its blade. "Fucking hell!" Came the startled exclamation, those sigils flaring to a golden radiance.

Having never handled a magical weapon (beyond selling enchanted blades she'd stolen, not knowing they'd been ensorcelled) before, her movements stopped abruptly and she held the jeweled dagger carefully as the sigils began to fade as soon as her movements had ceased. "Rein," There was a note of uncertainty in her voice, "What do you make of this?"

Crankshot

Upon reentering the camp, while Lycoris went about digging through her portion of the loot, Reinhardt simply dumped his bundle next to her. He wasn't too worried about what was contained in the various satchels and bags he had taken from the remains of the bandits.

In the short time since this all began, the fire had burned down to embers. Kneeling near the pit, the mercenary busied himself adding small twigs and blowing, coaxing the fire back to live. Sure, he could've used magic to cause the fire to roar back to life, but he preferred not to rely too heavily on his magic.

The swordsman had nearly finished building the fire back up to it previous size when the plant woman cried out and inquired about the blade she held, quite obviously enchanted.

Turning to look at the knife she held out to him, Reinhardt scratched the back of his head,"Well, not a magic I'm familiar with. But it looks almost consecrated. Maybe it belongs to a religious order? We should head back into town in the morning, see if we can find an enchanter type to appraise it. Most likely worth far more than any appraisal fees."