Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Informal Initiation [M][JackieCat]

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 19, 2018, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@JackieCat

'Meet us at the Serha Plains an hour before sunset. The usual spot. We've got a rather... informal initiation for you.'

It had been almost a year since Foggy Sanderlin joined the ranks of the Adelan Black Brigade, along with his life-long comrades Cain and Cecil, so any initiation now struck him as a bit odd. Of course, it was Cain who called for the initiation, not his commander. His two friends had been with the Brigade two years longer than him, so perhaps it this was just a bit of fun they give to all the recruits sometime within their first year.

Perhaps.

'No dragons for travel, my friend. For this, you'll need to bring your horse.'

The young soldier thought back on Cain's words as he rode his trusty black steed through the outskirts of the grasslands. Almost there, but why by horse? After all, the Serha is considered by most a dangerous place. Normally when the men met at this particular location they met by dragon. Maybe not something fun, but a challenge of strength? No matter, he would find out soon enough.

After quiet contemplation and further travels, the man and his horse entered the clearing of 'the usual spot.'

No one here yet.

His eyes scanned the area, searching for any signs of life - friend or foe - before he settled in to his position.

All clear.

---

Foggy waited in silence, hand on the hilt of his sword just in case, for several more minutes before the first showed up.

The sound of heavy weight cutting through the air could be heard just above him. The young soldier shot his gaze upward to meet eyes with his old companion, Cain. Cain, and his dragon. A most-remarkable beast if there ever was one. Remarkably quiet for its size, impressively fast, and matched by none in pure strength. The Brigade's dragons were tamed, but Cain's accomplice was always hard to look square in the face. Something sinister about it, he thought.

"I see you brought yours, then!" Foggy said with a wry smile, taking a few steps toward the two.

"Quite right," Cain responded, dropping to the soil. "But, it is not my initiation, after all."

"About this initiation... What exactly will I be doing?"

"You will find out soon enough," Cain said heartily. Giving him a broad smile, he approached his friend and gave him a tight hug and firm pat on the back. "It is good to see you, Foggy. I am glad you came."

"G-Good to see you too," Foggy murmured a rely. Again? They just saw each other a few hours ago.

Something felt... strange.

JackieCat

A trip to Adela.

At first, Ishka hadn't known what to think, then her indecision turned to nerves.  She'd never been to another country, let alone through the mountains!  What was she going to do?  Well, she'd do the same thing she always did, do what was asked of her.  The man she worked for had business in Adela, and she was going along.  She would do her duties quietly as always, and there would be no need for anything out of the ordinary to happen.

Then, her feelings started to be mixed with something more than just nervousness, excitement.  Ishka was not a person to push her limits, but she couldn't have helped but to feel a little curious about the trip.

The journey there had been uneventful, no different from the other trips Ishka had been on, though this one was decidedly longer, and the scenery started to change the farther they went.  The grasslands peppered with small copses of trees gave way to flat, thicker forests, which then started to become more rocky and hilly, and then they were traveling through the mountains.  That was probably the hardest part of the trip.  Even on the road, the horses often had trouble pulling the wagons up some of the steeper inclines, and they even once came across a part of the road that had been blocked by fallen boulders.  That set them back a day.

When they finally arrived at Ketra, Ishka was more than ready to be back in a city.  However, it was completely different from any city she'd been in before.  The people looked different, even the architecture was different from what she'd known.

They were to stay at a fancy inn, and after all of her master's belongings had been moved to the room, Ishka was sent out to deliver a message to the man her master had come to meet telling him that they had arrived.

At this, Ishka's curiosity of the new place vanished, replaced by fear.  She knew nothing of this place, and she was expected to go out, on her own, and travel through this unknown city to deliver a message?  But she didn't argue.  She received the address of the place she was to go to and ventured out.

She kept her head down as she made her way through the city, speaking to no one and going as quickly as she could.  She made it to the address with no incident and delivered the message, but by the time she was on her way back to the inn, the sun was starting to set.

The streets that had been busy on the way were now slowly becoming more empty, and nearly everyone had dispersed by the time it got dark.  Ishka rushed through the streets, her heart beating in her chest as she went.

She hurried aroudn a corner, only to bump into someone on the other side.

"Oh!" she stumbled back with a gasp, but the person grabbed her arm, stopping her from falling.  She looked up at the man, and he grinned at her.

"What's someone like you doing out in the dark?" he asked, leering.

"Let me go!" Ishka cried out, trying to pull away, but to no avail.  "HELP!" she screamed.  Before the man could even react, however, a shout sounded from behind Ishka.  The man's eyes widened in fear as he saw who was approaching, and he immediately let go of her and rushed away.

Ishka spun around to see who her savior was.  Three men were walking towards her, all wearing some sort of dark uniform.

"Thank you!" Ishka gasped as they neared.  "Thank you."

"Don't thank us," the man in the front said, and Ishka took a step back at the look in his eyes.  He looked at his two comrades. "Serenian," he said to them, then looked back at her. "Right?"

Ishka nodded slowly. "Yes. . ."  this was strange. . .  This didn't feel right.

The man stepped forward. "Good."

Ishka cried out as he raised his hand, and tried to duck, but his fist connected with her temple, and she fell to the cobbled street, unconscious.
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

"Foggy, we have been friends for a long time," Cain said with a small smile. "I don't think I have ever told how proud I am of you for joining the Brigade, and how honored I've felt to have you serving by my side this past year."

Foggy's eyes widened slightly. That was a nice thing to hear. It was true, Cain and himself have been friends for a long time, and although they do not always agree on how things should work, they have always prevailed together. The Adelan soldier did not always agree with Cain's beliefs, but he wanted to believe in the bottom of his heart that he was a good person.

Like many Adelans, Cain was the type to view himself as superior to those of "lesser" genes, including the more Serenian-resembling Adelans and pure Serenians in general. It was the way he was raised. Hell, it was the way they were both raised. Foggy's opinion on the matter changed as he grew older, but he could not fault his long-time friend for that.

"It's an honor to be here, Cain," he replied shyly. "And I'm proud to be working along side you. Though, I am still curious as to why we are here."

Cain nodded, studying his face for a few moments. "Foggy, do you trust me?"

Trust? That was an odd question to ask. The feeling in his stomach deepened as their conversation ensued and time pressed on. Great friends or not, something strange was going on - and he intended to get to the bottom of it.

"Of course I do," he said simply. "It's just-"

"Then you will have to trust me when I say this," Cain interrupted. "Sometimes it is better to not ask questions. You are a man of great honor. I see this with everything you do. It is your duty as a soldier, your duty as a member of the Black Brigade, to be here today."

"My duty?" Foggy's gut feeling worsened.

"We will be joined by other members of the Brigade soon," he explained. "They will have criminals and offenders with them that will need to be dealt with, and this is by order of the King."

"The King?"

"Yes, the King," Cain lied. "These people have been charged with an unforgivable crime of the highest order. Today, it will be your job to execute them. Are you up to the task?"

Foggy's mouth sat agape as he listened to him. This was not normal. Why hadn't he heard of this order earlier? Why out here in the Serha? Cain wouldn't be lying... would he?

No. He needed to trust his ally. Without trust among companions, they would have nothing. He let out a soft sigh, shaking off any remaining doubt.

"Of course," he said quietly. "Of course I am up to the task. It is my duty as an Adelan soldier, after all. But... I do wonder... A crime of the highest order? What could they have done to be punished like this? Executed in the middle of no where like dogs?"

Cain's eyes trailed off, contemplating his response. Several quiet moments passed before he returned his gaze to Foggy.

"Like I said," he said sternly. "Sometimes it is better to not ask questions."

JackieCat

The first think Ishka noticed when she awoke was the movement.  Panicked, she sat up, but pain shot through her head and she winced.  Then she remembered what had happened.  She looked around.  From the movement she was in some sort of wagon.  It was rather small, and dark, the only light streaming through the barred window at the back of the wooden box.

There were other people in here as well, all huddled as she was, silent save for their breathing and the occasional movement.  Ishka felt her heart start to pound and her breath hitched in her chest.  She was going to die, or worse, maybe she was being taken to slave camp.  She'd never see the light of day again, she'd spend the rest of her days in a dark mine until she died of exhaustion or sickness.  This was it.  This was the end.

She felt tears starting to well in her eyes, but she bit them back when she heard a quiet sound to her right.  Someone was crying.

Looking over she saw who was sitting next to her as her eyes adjusted to the darkness.  A young woman, probably only a year or two younger than Ishka, crying hard but obviously trying to hold back her sobs.

Immediately, Ishka forgot about the panic that had filled her moments before, and she reached out, touching the young woman on the arm.  The woman jumped, but calmed when she saw the gentle look on Ishka's face.

"We'll be fine," Ishka whispered, drawing the other woman close.  "We're going to get out of this, whatever it is."

She didn't even believe her own words, but even though she didn't, a small spark of hope lit in her chest.  Maybe they would get out of this.  Maybe they would be okay.

"How long have you been here?" she asked the woman, keeping her voice low.  The young woman shook her head.

"Two days," she said. "You too.  We were all taken from Ketra.  No one knows where we're going.  They never open the door, though they give us food through the window once a day."

Ishka nodded. "We will escape," she said softly, to herself as well as the woman next to her.  "We will. . ."

But no opportunity presented itself.  They traveled for days, only let out once where they were allowed to clean up as best they could in a stream, and even then they were shackled together.  Ishka had lost count of the days, but finally they reached their destination.

The Serha Plains.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Sometimes it is better to not ask questions.

What the hell did that mean? He was prepared to do his duty as a soldier of Adela, but that did not mean he could so easily shake off his bad feelings. He ran his hand through his hair nervously, his eyes bolting back and forth between Cain and the ground. Was a crime of the highest order so heinous that Cain did not dare even speak it aloud? Surely, that must be it.

"Foggy," Cain said firmly, bringing him back to reality. He glanced over Foggy with an uncertain look, well aware of his nerves and doubts. "Are you with me?"

It took a moment, but Foggy eventually gave him a nod. "I am," he said quietly. "Sorry. You have to understand these circumstances are a bit... odd."

Cain huffed out an exasperated breath. "You are the one being odd, Foggy," he sternly responded. "You are to do your duty for our Kingdom, nothing more. There will often be times where we cannot choose our circumstances, and this is one of those times."

His words cut deep. Maybe he was just being paranoid.

"Right," Foggy said, mustering a small 'I'm still on your side' smile. "When will they come?"

"I see them now," Cain motioned for Foggy to look behind him.

Foggy turned on his heel to see what was approaching. Off in the distance, he could make out several figures - some on horses, what he assumed were his fellow Brigade members, and a wagon. It must be the transportation coach they often used to bring criminals to the prison.

He let his hand rest on the hilt of his sword. A good soldier needed to be prepared for anything, though, for some reason, his heart was beating out of his chest.

They were almost here.

JackieCat

Ishka was asleep when the wagon finally rolled to a stop.  She woke with a jolt at the abrupt stop, and sat up.  Sunlight was streaming through the window.

That was strange.  The usually only stopped twice a day, one time when they got fed and another for their captors to rest.  But they'd already stopped twice today, and it wasn't nearly dark enough to set up camp.

"We're here." Ishka heard someone whisper.

"Where?" the young woman asked, her voice quiet.  She didn't hear any sounds outside of the wagon besides the horses and the voices of the men.  She expected to hear the sounds of a bustling mine, or a city, or something.

"Wherever they're taking us," the person responded.  Ishka debated getting up and going to the window, but she almost didn't want to see what was outside.  But her curiosity could not be helped. Ishka slowly got to her feet, then moved to the small barred window and peered out.

Nothing.

No encampment, no buildings, just the plains and their captors.

"What's happening?" the woman that Ishka had comforted, Nalia, was at her shoulder, but when she also saw out of the window she frowned.  "There's nothing here. . ."

"Why would they bring us to the middle of the plains. . ?" Ishka whispered, and the sinking feeling that had been growing in the pit of her stomach since she had been captured suddenly grew stronger.

Something terrible was about to happen.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

They were here.

The man's grip had tightened steadily on the hilt of his sword as the wagon were approaching, and now they were here. His heart was beating so fast, and he did not know why. Accompanying the wagon were other members of the Black Brigade, all he knew well and some he was even quite fond off.

Cecil, another long time friend of Foggy's, was on a horse situated right beside the prisoner's wagon. He shot the young solder a sly grin and gave him a thumbs odd. That was an odd way to greet him, giving the situation.

"Cecil," Cain called out. "Bring them out here."

Cecil gave Cain a nod, and dismounted from his horse. He stepped up to the wagon's door and opened it. "Okay, you heard the man! Everybody out!" he yelled. "You have reached your final destination!"

Destination? That was another odd thing Cecil has done already. Regardless of what their crime was, it was a little beneath him, as a soldier of the Adelan military, to taunt those who were about to be executed.

One by one, they stepped out of the wagon, in shackles and chains. Foggy's eyes scanned over all of them, men and women of different ages, and they all looked confused and terrified. These were not the faces of the hardened criminals he typically dealt with. So what was going on?

"These people?" Foggy whispered, mostly to himself.

He thought about turning back to Cain to inquire more, but his comrade had already stepped up beside him.

"Attention everyone," he said sternly. "On your knees."

JackieCat

The light was near blinding when the wagon door opened.  The soldier was yelling at them to get out of the wagon.

This could not be good.  During the whole trip they hadn't been let out once.

Ishka stumbled to her feet and got out of the wagon with the others.  The soldiers ordered them into lines.  Ishka's heart was beating madly against her chest as she looked around them.  Soldiers were everywhere, and they were in the middle of nowhere.  There could only be one reason why they were here.

The young woman felt tears spring to her eyes, but she tried to hold them back.  Crying would not help.  Others around her were already starting to cry, unable to keep their panic hidden.

Then one of the soldiers shouted over the sound of the other prisoners sobbings, ordering them to kneel.

Ishka's knees were already weak, but she could not, for a moment, bring her self to kneel.  This was the final step, she knew.  This would be the last thing she ever did.

Nalia was next to her, and she fell to her knees.  Ishka looked around, and around them the rest of the prisoners were doing the same.

"On your knees!"

Ishka jumped as the soldier came up behind her, and she cried out as he kicked the back of her knees, forcing her to fall to the ground.  She did not try to stand.

She reached over, taking Nalia's hand in her own and squeezing it, trying her best to comfort herself and the other woman.

There was yelling down the line, and Ishka looked up to see one of the prisoners struggling with a guard, refusing to kneel.  The soldier hit him across the jaw and threw him to the ground.  The man tried to get up, but their captors pushed him down, forcing him to kneel.

Ishka looked away, closing her eyes as a few tears escaped.

How had this happened?  Just days ago she had been safe, and now. . .

This was the end.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Foggy never expected to kill someone like this.

He didn't wake up that morning with the knot in his stomach that he had to calm in preparation of an execution.

Sure, he was use to killing in combat, what soldier wasn't? Though, he was never assigned the role of executioner, and more so he was never assigned such a role and not given the information as to why he was executing.

But he was there and the time was now, and almost out of pure soldier's instinct he drew his blade as the prisoners dropped to their knees and slowly approached.

'For my country' is what he shakily told himself as he readied to cut through their necks. His eyes scanned the line-up once more and his heart pounded like a drum through his chest. Men were one thing, but women? He had never killed a woman in his life. He may not have realized it at the time, but something like this was going to fuck him up for life.

On the very end of the line was a man, his head bowed down, eyes shut tight and a whimper trembling from his lips. Foggy almost felt bad seeing his fear, but he shouldn't have committed such a heinous crime against Adela.

That's what he told himself anyway as he stood before him and raised his sword. He took a deep breath, heart racing, body tense, before looking over to his commander.

"At will, Lieutenant Sanderlin," Cain said sharply with a nod.

Foggy's sword started to cut down through the air when-

"Oh god! Please, no!" the prisoner screamed.

Eyes wide open, Foggy momentarily lost his nerve and got distracted. It was too late for the man, but it wasn't a clean cut. His blade came down and stuck into the man's neck, blood spewing on the steel as it lodged into the skin instead of slicing through.

"F-Fuck," Foggy muttered to himself as he tried to pull the weapon from the dying man's skin. The prisoner's entire body was twitching, eyes washed over in white as he steadily lost blood. Retrieving his blade, he quickly calmed his hand and cut through again, this time the prisoner's head separating cleanly from his body and rolling sideways to the middle of the line.

"Ruthless!" Cain barked with a laugh, the other forces of the Black Brigade joining in with chuckled amusement. "How does it feel, Foggy?!"

At this point, the soldier's eyes were empty. It was one of the most horrible things he had ever seen, and one of the most horrible things he had ever done. It was the first time he felt like he did something against his will, not for the good of Adela but as a slave to the military.

But that couldn't be helped.

"I'm just doing my job," he whispered, looking at the corpse that was sprawled across the ground.

"Must feel good to cut through a mutt like that," Cain boomed. "There's no room for their kind in this world. The impure. Though I'm surprised you did it so willingly! Pleasantly surprised, of course. I thought you were soft, but I see I was wrong. Hurry, take care of the rest."

...Mutt?

What have I done?

JackieCat

Ishka trembled in fear as one soldier stepped forward.  He walked down the line, and each prisoner he passed shied away in fear, hoping he would not stop in front of them, but knowing that he was going to stop eventually.

He stopped at the end of the line, and the man there was shaking with fear, terrified, yet unable to do a thing.

Ishka kept her head bowed, but still had a veiw if the soldier raise his sword.  Her stomach leapt to her throat, and her tears started to fall freely now, the tension in the air building as the sword was lifted into the air.

The moment was frozen, the prisoners knowing what was going to happen and dreading it so much that it seemed so raw and real. . .  that it almost seemed like a terrible dream.

Then the commander gave his order, and the sword came slashing down.  Ishka, and many others, could not hold back the screams that ripped from their throats as the prisoner was killed.

But the blow hadn't been clean.  These soldiers were so sick that they wouldn't even  afford their captives a quick death.

Ishka felt as if she would throw up.  They were all going to die as that man had.  Terribly, painfully.

The woman next to Ishka was even more horror struck than the young woman was, and unable to keep any semblance of order about her.  Even on her knees, Nalia could barely keep from collapsing, sobbing heavily and unable to keep her tears back.

If Ishka's mind had been not clouded with terror, pity for those around her, and desperation, perhaps she wouldn't have done what she did next, and seen how seeking hopeless her actions were.  But even if she had been clear minded, she would have had to try something.

She threw herself forward towards the guard who seemed to be the commander as he spoke to the soldier who had killed the man.  She stayed on her knees, head bowed.

"Please!" she begged. "Please give us mercy!  These people have done nothing wrong, they do not deserve any punishment!  Please, I'm begging of you, spare our lives!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Betrayal.

Betrayed.

That was the feeling wrenching in Foggy's gut as time stood still for what felt like a lifetime. He couldn't believe it, wouldn't believe it. He didn't need any more confirmation to tell him that he just murdered an innocent man. He slaughtered an innocent in a field full of helpless innocents while his "friends" stood around to laugh and cheer him on. The splattered blood on his face was warm enough to where it felt like it burned, and the blood on his hands kept him frozen.

He murdered an innocent man. This went against everything he stood for.

Cain, Cecil, and the rest of the select members of the Black Brigade smiled delightfully when they watched him commit such a heinous act.

He murdered an innocent man. He struck him down as he and the others begged for their lives, and he couldn't even send him to the grave gracefully. He'll never know love or touch again. His family will never understand what happened to him or why it happened.

He stood frozen in horror at his actions, and his eyes burned, head pounded, and heart burned as his ears drowned out everything going on around him.

He murdered an innocent man.

Deep down inside he always suspected his childhood friends were like this, but he never wanted to admit it. Now there was no avoiding it.

"Foggy!" the sound of Cain's voice brought him back to reality. "Kill this one next!"

His eyes shot over to see the woman begging at his Commander's feet, and he quickly rose his sword again. "Stay right there," he said softly, breathlessly, as he took a step closer. He gave Cain another quick look, eyes almost empty, before executing his strike.

Instead of striking the woman down, however, he moved forward and adjusted his swing just enough, and just in time, to cut down Cain's chest. The commander hissed with the attack and stumbled back until he toppled over to the ground. Quickly, he slung his blade again at the woman, cutting through the shackles that bound her feet together, and then two more quick motions to release her arms.

"Foggy, what the-"

"Shut up!" Foggy snapped, pointing his blade at his comrade's throat. As his heart began to pound away at his chest and the feeling of suffocation rose to the top of his throat, he threw the woman he just released a panicked, desperate glare.

"Run."

JackieCat

Ishka's body started to shake at the man's words.

'Kill this one next'

She couldn't move even if she tried.  She saw the other man approach, and she bowed her head further, unable to even look up at her executioner.

He raised his weapon, and she squeezed her eyes shut, only able to wait for her inevitable death.  But the killing blow never came.

She heard the sound of a blade hitting flesh, and warm blood splattered her face.  Her head snapped up to see the commander falling to the ground, blood spraying from the wound in his chest.

But the commanders attacker wasn't done.  He raised his weapon again and Ioshka flinched back as he brought it down towarfds her.  But he cut her bonds.

She was frozen for a moment, her brain trying to catch up with what had just happened.

Then the man looked down at her. "Run," he said, and those words broke her out of her trance.  She stumbled to her feet, her eyes darting around, but the other soldiers were advancing, blocking off any way to escape.

She turned towards the man, the only one who would be able to save them now.

"What do we do?" she gasped, barely able to force the words from her fear-constricted chest.  "They're going to kill us!"

They had been going to kill her before, as well, but now that her chains were gone and the commander of these men were down, a spark of hope had lighted in Ishka's chest, and she clutched at that spark with everything she had.  She did not want it to be extinguished again.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Foggy didn't have time to answer the woman's question. He didn't have time to think at all. He just struck down his commander-in-arms, and now the entire brigade was pitting against him. "Run!" he said again, almost a command as he grabbed the woman's hand.

He led the woman into the nearby woods, practically dragging her by this point as he pushed his adrenaline as far as he could to outrun and outmaneuver his comrades. Peering over his shoulder, he saw several soldiers tailing behind, and the rest remained to slaughter the rest of the lineup.

Damn it, he hissed under his breath.

He couldn't save them all.

JackieCat

He grabbed her hand and, still in a daze, she let him pull her into the woods.

She knew they were leaving behind the others, the other innocents, and her body ached to go back for them, but she knew it was no use, and that feeling, as well as her own fear for her life, urged her onward.

They ran into the woods, and she could hear the soldiers behind them, breaking through the underbrush in their pursuit.

Her heart beat like a rabbit's as they ran, her feet stumbling over roots and rocks on the uneven dirt.  It was only the soldier's hand in hers that kept her from collapsing all together.

It was only when she could no longer hear the soldiers behind them when she let herself stop running.  She fell against a tree, taking in huge gulps of air, her body shaking.  She knew that their pursuers probably weren't far behind, but she needed to stop for a moment to catch her breath or she was sure to faint.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

The woman collapsed, and he did the same. He tumbled to the ground, rolling once, rolling twice, until a large thick tree stopped his movement. He bit his tongue to keep him giving their location away. He did a quick scan around and above them. Shrouded by trees just enough to be hidden from the dragon riders, and thick enough in the woods to where they maybe could hide.

Some of the troops on foot were near them, but didn't quite see them, and he quickly threw himself over the woman he had just saved, placing a firm hand over her mouth to prevent her from making any noise.

Fear thundered in his chest in the form, panic pounded at his head, and his skin was pale and clammy. He actually struck Cain down, and now he was protecting a prisoner. Though, she wasn't really a prisoner. Not really.

They had passed by, venturing further into the woods on their search. He peered out from behind a tree and saw Cain and a few of the other dragon riders still in the clearing where the slaughter had occurred.

They were trapped.

He placed a finger over his mouth, encouraging the woman to be silent, before taking his hand off of her mouth.

"You okay?"  he tried for a whisper, his chest heaving in and out with short, panicked breaths.

JackieCat

She fell completely silent when he put his hand over her mouth, staying perfectly still as she heard the soldiers in the woods around them.

When he asked if she was okay, her immediate though was; no, she was absolutely not okay, but she simply nodded, doing her best to control her breaths so they would make as little noise as possible.

"What are we going to do?" she asked, her voice barely a hiss of air.  He was a soldier, maybe he knew how to evade capture, though no doubt the men looking for them were trained to find those on the run.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

All things considered, Fog had always been a bit of a boy scout. He didn't see this turn of events coming, even though he should have. The signs were all there. Maybe he just wanted to see the best in people? Maybe. Probably not. He was just a coward.

But now he had rescued this woman, this random woman out of the lineup, while the rest suffered the wrath of the Black Brigade's finest. She would need protection, guidance, and answers. He didn't know if he could provide any of that more so than he had already done.

His chest was tight. His eyes glossed over in silent panic. The threat of death knocking at the door.

"I don't know yet," he whispered back. "We just need to... wait. For now."

JackieCat

Wait?  Wait?

What if the solders found them?  Just lying here on the ground, completely defenseless?  They couldn't wait, they had to run!

Ishka's mind was racing, and she wanted nothing more than to get up and flee, every muscle in her body was screaming at her to do so.  But she didn't move.

She took a deep breath.  Thinking logically, or as logically as one could in the situation, the soldier was right.  Moving from this spot would only get them seen by the men that were swarming the woods, looking for them.

They were pretty well hidden where they were, the only way a soldier would find them was if he stepped directly onto one of them.  Something that was not impossible, considering the amount of men who were searching around them, but less likely then them getting seen if they tried to move from their positions.

"Okay," she whispered, doing her best to stay completely still.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

He nodded slightly, satisfied with her cooperation but dissatisfied with his plan. He shuffled around just enough to move away from her, remove the bracers that shielded his arms, and the lightweight armor that protected his chest. Quietly, he placed it into the dirt next to them.

"They'll just slow me down," he said under his breath, answering any questions she might have had about removing armor. "They'll split up soon. When they do.. Well. I'll have to take them out one by one until we can move around freely enough to steal the horses."

He took his position back into the dirt, crouched on his side as he watched more of the Brigade members search - some still in the area while others were fading off into the thick of the trees.

He looked at her then. "I'm sorry."

JackieCat

Ishka didn't really know how to respond to his apology.  He had been with the soldiers, he had killed that defenseless man. . .  But he had also saved her life, and turned on the monsters who had kidnapped her and the others.

She just nodded slightly.  There would be time to sort out her emotions later, if they ever got out of this.

The soldiers were dispersing around them, less and less in the area directly around them as the two lay there.  Soon there was only one within hearing distance.  He was searching the bushes to their right, about one hundred yards away.

Ishka looked over at the man next to her, the question in her eyes.

Now?
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: