Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Storm [M][DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 23, 2018, 06:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

Lola knelt down to rub his fingers through the little kitten's fur again. "Curious, loving little thing aren't ya?" he asked with a smile.

The man peered up at his two hosts while remaining on a knee to give Myla continued attention. "Thank you again for the fresh pair of clothes. I feel much better now."

DragonSong

Ilia glanced up with a smile. "Good, I'm glad." She gestured toward the small table beside the couch, which bore a plate of fruits and cheeses. "Not much, but the best we could do on short notice. The...staff is off, for a few days."

The "staff" was nonexistent, in truth, but she didn't really feel the need to put that out in the open.

Lowen Thorn

He returned a smile to the young woman. "Oh. Well, that's nice of you," he said softly. "It is always good to give those under you time to rest, and visit with their loved ones."

The man got back to his feet and walked over to the plate of food. "Really, you have done more than enough," he reassured. "I owe you a great debt already. It is not just anybody who would willingly open the door and let a stranger into their homes. Speaking of which, how long have you two lived here?"

DragonSong

"Since Ilia was a baby," Varyyn replied without looking up from his papers. "Maybe a year old?"

His daughter nodded, getting to her feet and scooping Twyla up before the kitten could start begging for scraps. "You've already had dinner," she scolded fondly, ruffling her ears. Looking back to Theodore, she added, "I suppose we could return the question to you: you're Serenian, right? What brings you so far north, other than visiting?"

Lowen Thorn

He nodded at his response, picking up a slice of cheese and slipping it into his mouth.

"I see. Well, you have a beautiful home," he said after swallowing the remaining remnants of the food. "Very quaint, very quiet, especially for those of Nobility. Tucked back in a sense. If I didn't know better, I would venture to guess that the two of you were hiding here."

He grinned playfully, and took a fruit from the plate. "I don't blame you. I like my privacy too."

DragonSong

Varyyn tensed fractionally, almost imperceptibly, but Ilia just chuckled. "I know, I say the same thing to him," she laughed, waving toward her father. She screwed her face up in a dramatic pout. "I never get to do anything."

"Ilia," Varyyn warned quickly, glancing at her over his work.

Lowen Thorn

Lola slipped a sneaky grin.

"Oh, forgive me," he said, passing on another bite. "I do not mean to pry, m'lord and lady, it's just in my nature. Curiosity, that is. I meant nothing by it."

Walking over to the window where Ilia sat, he stopped just short of her to watch the rain splash against the windows. There were no signs of it dying down.

"Quite the storm we are having tonight."

'Lord Arvin. Where are you?'

DragonSong

Ilia nodded, crinkling her nose slightly. "I'm not sure you'll be able to leave before morning," she murmured softly. She glanced toward her father. "He can stay in a guest room, can't he?"

Lowen Thorn

'I will leave anytime I damn well please.'

"You may be right," he said with a sigh. "But I really do not want to impose any longer."

Surely, the storm would slack up eventually. If not, then he just may have to take his chances. As soon as everyone turned in for the night, he would sneak out. He would have to rejoin his group in the morning, and if this isn't done tonight, it's all been a waste.

His brain went in circles as he planned out his next move.

Learn as much as he can while here, and about this strange little family that was clearly hiding something; change back into his wet clothes once everyone had gone to bed and sneak out; find that bastard Arvin and give him what he deserves.

It had to be done.

DragonSong

"No, that's quite alright," Varyyn said easily, returning to his papers. "The room where you changed should suffice, if it's to your liking."

Ilia snatched a segment of orange off the try of food, slipping Twyla a piece of cheese out of her father's eye, with a wink for their guest.

Lowen Thorn

"Oh, it is a great room! Marvelous, in fact!" he said excitedly, returning a wink to the girl and her cat. "Until then, would you like to tell me more about Connloath? What is it that people do around these parts? I've heard stories, but this is my first time visiting the region."

DragonSong

Ilia chuckled. "Well, that seems a slightly loaded question," she murmured with a wry smile. "What sorts of stories have you heard?"

Lowen Thorn

He grinned wearily.

"Well, not much," he replied honestly. He hadn't really heard many stories, other than the ones most would know. But he was attempting to get the conversation going somewhere, so at least that was a start.

He could always fake it. Faking it is what the man did best, after all. That's how he got to where he was today. Or, he could bring up the Connlaothian's views of magic. He did, in fact, need to know how much he could get away with in regards to magic - especially if he wanted to utilize his glamour.

"I have heard that Connlaoth is trying to rid the world of all magic. Could that possibly be true?" he asked curiously. "Why on all earths would someone want to do that?"

DragonSong

Both Varyyn and his daughter stiffened slightly. While both were magic users in their own right, there were certain appearances that had to be kept for them to continue living the life they led.

"I think perhaps it is time for my daughter to retire," Varyyn said abruptly. Not exactly a subtle change in topic, but a resolute one.

Ilia huffed and scowled at him, but at his stern look she rolled her eyes and moved toward the door. "Alright, alright," she sighed. With a click of her fingers, Twyla hurried after her mistress. Sorry, Ilia mouthed to their guest.

Lowen Thorn

Lola's mouth sat agape, only if just for a moment, at the man's abrupt change in behavior. He gave Ilia a somewhat nervous smile as she left the room before turning his gaze to Varyyn.

"Pardon me, sir," he said cautiously. "Did I say something wrong?"

Perhaps him bringing up magic to Connloathians in person was a bit much, but the thought that every last one of them were sticklers for the art seemed a bit far-fetched.

DragonSong

Varyyn just stared in down in silence for several long moments. "Not precisely," he said eventually. "Though I would avoid discussing that particular subject during your stay in Connlaoth. Most people are more than a little touchy, with the war on and all."

Lowen Thorn

Ah, the war. Yes, he ought to be careful.

One's conquest often blinded him from the world around him.

"You are right," he said with a heavy breath. "I do apologize."

DragonSong

"No need, young man," Varyyn said with a wave of his hand. "It'd just advise you to be more mindful in the future. Now."

He finally put his papers to the side, leaning back in his chair slightly. "I'm sure you tired. You should be getting to bed."

Lowen Thorn

"Right," he nodded.

Right. No more wasting time.

Lola gave his host a slight bow and his best attempts at a proper smile. "Thank you for your kindness, sir," he said once again. "Come morning I will be out of your hair. Until then, may you sleep well. Goodnight."

Without another word, he slipped up the stairs and walked into the guest bedroom.

DragonSong

"Of course." Varyyn watched him go, a calculating gleam to his eye. He waited a few minutes before heading to his own room.

As he passed the guest room door, he sketched a symbol in the air and muttered an incantation under his breath. A crimson seal flickered into being on the door, pulsed brighter, then faded. He nodded, satisfied, and slipped away to his much needed bed.