Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Session One: My Achy Breaky Heart

Started by Anonymous, April 02, 2006, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Simon Black decided he was not fond of teleportation. Somehow, the contrivance of being instantly taken from one place to another was too lucrative for his tastes.

Plus, it made him feel tingly. He didn't like tingly. Tingly was, in his mind, a bad sign.

He stretched, glad he wasn't wet though. That would've sucked even more.

He looked about his surroundings. Tall mountains stretched up around him, grand monoliths in a sea of brown. Looking about, he saw the stony road he'd taken a few days ago. Yes, he could find that man's house. He could do this.

He smirked, reaching into his jacket and pulling out his pack of cigarrettes before turning back to face the river.

"Now to wait for my companion in this endevor..."

Anonymous

I won't be joining you directly. I have business to take care of here. But I'll keep an eye on things here, and I'll work towards things to our common benefit. If you really need me, I can come, but I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting paid.

Agary set off in search of new partners, twirling a few more of his new toys and hoping they worked as well as the communications device.

((Things don't seem to work as well with just the two of us, so if we may want to see if we can find another few people to join. I'll be gone from this iinto next week, so if you don't mind, the thread might take a little break.))

Anonymous

(Why don't we keep the two, then the next Session we open it up to one or two more? We can make a squad of Investigators, as I plan to give Simon something with some KICK to it in the next Session, something where a group would make sense.

This one I can continue myself, with just Simon. Just post Agary's observations or what he's doing whenever you are free to do so. I'l post one a day untill I finish this storyline.)

Simon nodded, lighting a new cigarrette and slowly walking up the twisty, winding road, heading deep into the mountains.

He had about a two hour hike ahead of him, the road was straightforward. Serendipity's guard patrols kept any...unfriendly critters out of the ways, and it was an easy road to walk.

Plenty of time to reflect on his thoughts...

Thunder crackled around the dark, rainy scenary. The rolling hills were transformed into dark, looming monoliths by the storm, the light of day unnaturally extinquished.

Simon Black slipped in the mud, falling face first into the gloppy mess, sliding partially down the hill. He swore, clawing desperately and grasping a clump of glass, puling himself to his feet and slowly moved up the hill.

"Gah...what the hell is going...I hope Amelia is ok...this storm...I...I don't like it..."

He shook his head. Bah. Its just bad weather. He was too superstitious, Amelia and even Sylvia, at the tender age of two, was always teasing him about it. There was no such thing as demons.

He walked past the old stone walls of the village, grateful to be home...and suddenly froze. There was a trail of blood, being washed away by the rain now, but it was still visible, smeared along the stone road. It ended at a crumpled up corpse.

"Oh gods!"

Simon rushed to the corpse, crouching to examine it when he suddenly noticed more blood. Looking to his sides, his eyes widened in fear. Corpses of the townsfolk were...nailed to the walls...

The Butcher had been hung from a string of sausage, one end tied to his overhanging sign for the shop, the other...oh gods...

His belly had been cut open, the end of the sausage dangling out...along with his intestines. Simon grimaced, backing away, turning and running through the village.

Others had been killed in similar fashion. Shoemaker was nailed to death...literally, hundreds of nails all over him. The Blacksmith was a flaming corpse, his smithy burning behind him.

The Mayor was impaled on the large tree in the middle of town, his eyes had been shoved into his mouth. Simon felt sick.

He turned, looking down the road at his house. He suddenly heard a scream...Sylvia's voice.

"Oh gods, no, let them be spared! No...NOOOO-"

"OOH!" He blinked, suddenly realizing he had been having a flashback. He stood before the house of the man who had hired him. A modest estate. He breathed deeply, sighing.

"Restless Dreams...Amelia...Sylvia...I will avenge you..."

He turned and opened the gate, heading towards the house...

Anonymous

The owner of the house slowly shuffled towards the Investigator, rubbing his aged, bony hands together.

The man was old. At least in his 60s, if not older, with a slow, shuffling walk and a low, wrinkled face. His eyes however, shined with a youthful energy. He smiled a toothy grin at Simon.

"Young man, have you brought me my family heirloom?"

Simon smirked, reaching into his bag and slowly pulled out the mirror.

"You got my money old man?"

The man was obviously very excited.

"Yes yes, give me my mirror, I beg of you!"

Simon shrugged, and decided to break his usual rule of accepting payment before delivery. After all, what could one old man do? He handed the mirror to him.

The man laughed.

"Heheheeee! At last, its back in my grasp! Now, take a long look into this mirror boy...go on...you can see your reflection now..."

Simon let his curiosity take control of him, leaning down to gaze into the clear depths of the glass. He saw himself in the mirror, the image wavering a bit, like water. Suddenly, something began to pull him...he wouldn't move, something was being yanked out of him. He gasped in pain, unable to draw his gaze.

The man's cackling voice was all he could hear.

"KYAHAHAH! Now! You see, your soul shall be mine! This is one of the powerful Necromatic Weapons, the Pleroma Mirror! It can drain your soul from your living body!"

Damn! The old man was a Necromancer...Simon didn't have much time. Slowly, he ignored the pain, letting his mind focus on the mirror. His vision grew dark, all he could see was a red, beating energy forming around his chest...such intense heat...

He gripped the mirror in his mind, slowly asserting his grip...then twisting it in one sudden movement.

The mirror flipped over and fell to the ground, catching the old man offguard. He fell with it, catching himself with his arms, his face dead centered on the glass.

His body began to shudder and shake, his eyes widened, first in fear, then in pain. He began to gurgle, then cough, white foam coming from his mouth. A red, beating orb ripped from his chest, shooting into the mirror.

The old man suddenly melted into a pile of grey ash, leaving nothing but the mirror behind.

Simon stood shakily, drawing his pistol. He spat at the ground, staggering towards the mirror, laying up on the ground. He closed his eyes, hovering the pistol above the glass.

And pulled the trigger.

There was a cracking shattering noise, then Simon stood back up.

He turned back towards the road and tapped his ear.

Agary, you there? There was a double cross. I'm heading back towards the river. Think you can arrange another water portal for me?

Anonymous

Yeah, yeah, you can go when you're ready. But maybe try and collect a little money? Maybe some collaeral? Anything? Succeeded in mission, didn't get paid won't do much for your reputation.

A whirlpool formed in the river as close to Simon as possible, and on the side Agary tapped his foot impatiently.

Anonymous

Simon walked towards the portal, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the small gem from the clock.

"Collateral huh?"

He chuckled.

"This is the collateral I need..."

Agary, meet me at thr harbor. We're chartering a ship.

The Investigator shrugged, then jumped into the swirling pool, fading away as the magic whisked him back to Arca...