Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Business Transaction [M]

Started by DragonSong, June 23, 2018, 06:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Juno

The looking glass was polished silver, and a finer quality than she'd ever seen in her life. Lina took a deep breath, smoothing her hands down the front of the shimmering, pale blue gown. A gilded veil of snowy lace and golden threads settled delicately over her elaborately pinned and braided hair, cascading down to the small of her back, a thinner sheet of gossamer shielding her face. With every move she made, the gown and veil swirled slightly, the fine threads of gold woven through the blue and white shimmering like distant stars.

It was far too fine of quality for someone like her.

But oh well. That had never stopped her before.

"Lady Alinora?"

"Hm?" Jerked from her reverie, Lina lifted her attention away from the mirror and toward the young woman who'd called her: a serving girl, either employed by her soon-to-be husband's family or one of their guests, she couldn't remember which. She smiled and nodded quickly. "Ah. Is it time?"

The young woman nodded and offered a small smile of her own. "All the guests have arrive and are awaiting the ceremony. Just this way." She stepped back through the curtain that shielded the small alcove, holding the sheet of heavy fabric back to allow Lina to step through without mussing herself.

Giving her reflection one last, almost bewildered glance, Lina steeled herself and stepped out into the large, arched hall that awaited her.

Her groom's guests were arrayed to the right, several dozen men and women dressed in what was clearly their finest garb, all tilting their heads to stretching up slightly on their toes to get a glimpse of the mysterious Lowth bride.

To the other side of the room, her own "guests" waited. There were only five people she actually knew-- the rest were servants, either of the hall's or the Lowth family, settled just a little further back than the rest of the wedding attendees. Jeremiah caught her eye as she started the seemingly endless walk to the front of the hall and nodded almost imperceptibly.

She straightened her spine, lifted her chin, and stepped up to the altar. And for the first time, she laid eyes on her husband.

Juno

There had been much talk of his bride in the weeks leading up to the day they were to marry. Alinora had seemed to be primarily his mother's choice, the discussions his parents often had over his prospects revolving around how she would be coming from a less established name than their own. His father protested this, claiming her an unfit prospect with so little clout. Lise, however, thought it a good reason to choose her for their youngest son and was the main driving force through negotiations.

What did the bride's family matter if she was to assume the Lowth name? Maintaining a high reputation with Lina'a promised beauty and graces was far more important to the family matriarch. Even more, Lise hoped such a woman might coax her son into more acceptable habits in the eyes of her husband.

Niran was openly curious about the whole matter, doing what he could to catch snippets of conversation about his bride in those weeks leading up to her arrival. Ultimately, though, no second-hand description was particularly useful and he knew he should not attempt to make a judge of her before they'd even met. He trusted his parents to choose well as they had for his elder siblings, the strength of their partnerships something he was a tad envious of himself.

He'd been a little more than nervous when he'd been told he would not be meeting his wife prior to the ceremony that day, but his siblings assured him that their own weddings had been the same. All of their family and guests had gathered at Teren and Lise's estate to witness it, and Niran stood at the altar with their chosen priest in his finest clothes.

He felt a bit ridiculous in all his fine embroidery and fancy buttons, but his mother had insisted upon a light grey coat and trousers being best for the day if only to match his eyes better and brighten his appearance over the darker tones he normally favored. The hair along his temples was pulled back and gently plaited, his face clean-shaven and bright as he stood in relaxed anticipation with his eyes fixed upon the door at the end of the hall.

When Alinora finally appeared he straightened his back, eyes flickering over his guests to catch the wisps of orange and yellow swirling between them as they too got their first look at her. As she made her way towards him, though, his eyes fixed upon his bride. Her dress was very fine, the fabric gliding along with her every move as her veil shimmered in the morning light that spilled through the windows.

As she joined him at his side he moved to lift away the front portion of her veil with an anxious excitement clenching in his belly, finally able to get his first good look at her face. Niran's eyes softened and his lips curved into a gentle smile as he met her gaze for the first time, drinking in her beauty for only a brief moment before the priest cleared his throat and a small wave of chuckles echoed behind the groom.

With the priest speaking with his nose in his book to begin their ceremony, though, Niran hardly listened to him and took a little more time to study her. There was nothing he could say at the moment even though he had so many questions, but his eyes spoke volumes about his open curiosity and interest as he looked her over. Yes, she was beautiful as they'd said but he hadn't expected to be so captivated at the altar. The deep blue of her eyes drew him in like a vortex, still wholly distracted until the deep voice of the priest twisted in a pinch of irritation as he cleared his throat again for the lack of response from the groom and repeated his name, "Niran?" he grumbled in a hushed tone.

"Yes?" he'd answered calmly, only glancing up to him briefly having momentarily forgotten what he'd been coached on the night before.

"Will you take--"

"Oh! Yes, yes I will," he hurried to answer, a faint blush rising to his cheeks when he realized he'd just caused delay and heard the faint chime of tittering laughter behind him.

DragonSong

Lina’s eyes widened just slightly as she met her groom’s gaze— then she found an answering smile curving her lips and an entirely involuntary blush dusted at her cheeks. She ducked her eyes slightly, peeking up at Niran through her lashes as the ceremony began.

He seemed rather taken with her already, which was a good sign. Although she had to admit, she might be just as taken with him: he was certainly attractive, and there was something about the way he held himself that almost seemed to bely his noble birth.

He doesn’t actually seem like a bad sort... Her eyes flickered toward Jeremiah again almost unwillingly. The man who’d been both brother and father to her simply stared back, expression hard as steel.

Lina looked back to Niran and felt an unfamiliar lurch in her stomach. Guilt.

She quickly brushed it aside, just in time to giggle quietly as the priest had to prompt her groom to respond to their vows. Grumbling, the man turned to her. “And you, Lady Alinora. Will you take this man?”

“I—“ Her voice caught and her eyes widened. What? Why couldn’t she...? She cleared her throat, hoping the congregation would think it merely nerves, and offered Niran an apologetic little smile. “I will. I do.”

The priest huffed again and nodded. “Then, as the contract is spoken before the gods, family, and friends, you may seal your vows with a kiss.”

Juno

Her moment of hesitation was not lost on him, but Niran did take it just as a bit of nerves striking her in the moment. It must have been difficult to brave such an affair while being watched by so many unfamiliar faces.

He offered a gentle nod of understanding for her smile, but the priest's declaration had him glancing back towards his own party with a sheepish little grin. It was not that kissing his bride bothered him, but the realization that he was about to partake in a very intimate gesture publicly, if brief.

It only took Niran a moment to gather himself, though, turning to step closer and give Alinora his full focus and attention. Reaching out to her, he brushed his fingertips across her cheek and down along her throat in a feather-light touch to cup the nape of her neck, his thumb settling gently against her jaw while his other hand rested chastely at her waist. He tilted her head back gently, needing all the help he could get to bridge the space between them as he leaned closer and pressed his lips to hers while trying to ignore the tingling warmth that blossomed through him everywhere skin met skin.

Only a small amount of contact was needed to spur his family and friends on towards celebration, though they did not hoot and holler as they rose to stand. A soft echoing of polite clapping rang through the hall instead, and with all eyes on them Niran felt he could not spare too much time to savor their first tender moment as husband and wife.

His eyes were bright with a sort of hopeful joy as he separated from Lina, grasping her arm with care to loop with his own as he turned to face their guests and step down off the altar with his bride. He was not in any rush as they began the long walk towards the front of the room. There was a feast to follow, as was tradition, but he was hopeful as they exited he might be able to steal a few quiet moments with her before they were missed at the other end of of the manor.

DragonSong

The kiss was short, but sweet. Lina smiled as they separated, the expression genuine, for what it was worth. She let him guide her hand into the crook of his elbow as they stepped away from the altar.

The walk back down the aisle seemed longer than the walk up it. A little nervous despite herself-- though she supposed it wasn't all that unusual, given the circumstances-- she glanced up at Niran as they walked.

"I'm afraid you may have to guide me entirely," she murmured, low enough that only he would hear. "I wasn't exactly given permission to explore before the ceremony."

Juno

His lips curved in a private smile at her warning. He tilted his head slightly, watching her from the corner of his eye as they passed by his immediate family and he felt a safe enough distance away to answer.

"I will be your guide. You are mistaken if you expect to be turned loose to find your own way," he told her quietly, amused at the thought but also annoyed on her behalf she was not made entirely comfortable through whatever his parents had provided in the way of hospitality.

"Is there anything you need from your rooms?" he asked, finally speaking in a normal tone as they stepped out through the door. He was already beginning to fuss with the many buttons of his coat with his free hand, eager to be rid of it if he could get away with it.

DragonSong

Lina smiled up at him gratefully, then chuckled almost sheepishly at his question. "Actually...well, I don't think so, but... I'm not sure I have rooms?"

It didn't take much to play up the blush to her cheeks, and he ducked her eyes with a small clearing of her throat. "I was...under the impression that...we would be sharing quarters, actually."

She glanced up at him again as she spoke, and noticed the way he was fiddling with his buttons. She took a quick look around, spotted the nearest alcove, and guided him into it. "Here, let me." She reached up to pluck the first few buttons free, helping him slide the stiff garment down off his shoulders. She tilted her head back to smile up into his face. "Better?"

Juno

Niran's lips pressed into a line at her response, eyes darkening in mild disappointment to know that his parents had not provided her any private space to relax and prepare for the day. Perhaps she had arrived as she was, though he couldn't fathom any woman wanting to travel in her wedding gown.

Glancing down at her smoothed some of the tension in his face, though, her rosy cheeks and shy manners real enough to him and quite endearing at that. "We will. Share, I mean," he hurried to reassure her, a touch of pink at his own cheeks again at the thought and verbal reminder.

She surprised him, though, and he was happy for her help as he followed her to dip into the alcove along the hallway. "Yes, much. Thank you," he murmured with a grateful and relieved smile that reached his eyes.

With his shoulders free he was able to maneuver the rest of the fastenings off to shrug out of his coat altogether and fold it over his arm. The cream shirt he still wore underneath was looser and much more comfortable, but still beautifully adorned as his mother would not have seen him any other way on their wedding day.

"May I show you around a bit, then? It'll be a little while before we're expected for the meal," he offered, glancing out towards the wide doorway they'd just left through where their guests -well, mostly his guests- were filtering out, already talking amongst themselves.

DragonSong

He really did have lovely eyes.

Lina felt her answering smile like a soft warmth in her chest as she spoke with him, stepping back slightly once he no longer seemed to need her assistance. He was just so...so... She didn’t know what, really. Not what she’d been expecting.

...This may be harder than she’d thought.

But she didn’t allow any of her internal turmoil to show on her face, nodding and peeking up when he offered to show her around. “Oh, yes please! I’ve really only seen the parlor where I was taken when I arrived and the hall. I’d love a proper tour.”

She hesitated a moment, then slipped her hand carefully back into the crook of his arm.

Juno

His lips twitched into a frown, the light in his eyes gradually fading at what she'd told him. It was a small slight, but it bothered him nonetheless that it seemed she had been rushed along without the respect of a proper welcome.

"I'm sorry they've forgotten their manners, then," he told her sincerely with a small sigh of irritation and a pointed look towards his family. Niran patted her hand gently and stepped out to lead her further down the hall, it would not serve him well to openly sulk on a day that should have been happy and celebrated. "I had hoped they might have received you better, what with how far you've traveled to be here. Was your journey pleasant?"

He guided her through the more public rooms of the main floor: their parlors, library, guest chambers, and peeked into the dining hall that was still undergoing preparations while not bothering with any of the servants' quarters. Circling them back towards the home's main entrance he gestured towards the staircase with a small smile as he turned his head to look down at her. "All the private quarters are upstairs. Would you care to see while they're empty?"

DragonSong

"Oh no, it's quite alright!" she hastened to assure him, eyes big and round. "I'm used to it, really."

She simply smiled as he began the little tour, keeping her expression carefully interested, as though she was simply learning the layout of her new home— rather than taking note of the best escape routes.

When they reached the stairs and he suggested going to the next floor, she blushed slightly and ducked her eyes. "Well...I am curious, but I wouldn't want to intrude..." she murmured.

Gods it was getting difficult to keep the Zantaric scrape and slang out of her voice. Just keep at it, no one's noticed yet. Besides, you've worked jobs longer than this. You haven't even really been here a day!

Juno

"It's no intrusion," he assured her with a gentle smile, stepping out carefully to lead her up and mind her balance every step of the way. At the top he brought her through to pop into each of his immediate family's quarters briefly, hoping a look around might satisfy her curiosity without them intruding upon any personal belongings.

There were a few smaller rooms tucked throughout the hall as well as a few study rooms that were used by Teren and his sons almost exclusively. Niran lingered in the one he considered his own a little longer before continuing on to show her his sister's quarters. "Since Mila married this is rarely in use now," he explained, gesturing at the closets as he cleared his throat. "Perhaps you can speak with her later, she will probably want to dress you at least once before she returns home. I know she's very excited to have another...sister."

He'd left his own quarters for last, though not entirely on purpose as his rooms were at the end of the wing with a view of the river sparkling through the trees. "This is where we'll call home. Well, at least while we're here," he added, relaxing his posture once the door was shut behind them.

Niran stepped further into the room, draping his coat over the back of a chair so he wouldn't have to carry it around anymore and also have a reasonable excuse at their feast for being coatless at all.

DragonSong

She hovered in the doorway for a moment, then took a few steps into the room, looking around cautiously. "It's lovely," she noted quietly. She noted the way her new husband seemed to relax as he entered his own quarters, filing the information away.

Carefully, stepping with the light grace of a dancer-- or a pickpocket-- she made her way around the perimeter of the space. "Your sister, Mila. When did she get married?" she asked after a moment, glancing back at him.

Juno

Niran watched her in quiet appreciation, thinking himself fortunate to have married a woman who carried herself with such natural poise. She was certainly beautiful in all her finery, but his eyes darkened slightly as he wondered how she might look if she let her hair down in less formal clothes. Or nothing. "Ah...about three years ago? They've got a two year-old and a newborn now," he explained with a fond smile.

DragonSong

Her step stuttered and her eyes widened. "Two children in th-three years?" She didn't have to fake the stutter.

Was that going to be what was expected of her? Jeremiah hadn't told her when this job would end-- it could be months, or years, depending on what he and the others could get away with.

Oh gods.

Grateful that her back was to Niran, she took a steadying breath and closed her eyes. Then she straightened her shoulders and turned back, smile in place. "She must be very happy. Did she bring the children with her?" she asked politely, clasping her hands in front of her body and tilting her head to the side.

Juno

His eyes widened slightly at her obvious surprise and he hummed in amused acknowledgement while doing his best not to laugh outright. "She is...and she did, yes. I believe they're with their nursemaid for the day, though. I'm sure she'd be delighted if you'd like to meet them."

Niran felt a bit awkward suddenly as his thoughts turned towards the possibility of someday welcoming children of their own. It was what he'd hoped for, after all, only giving in to an arrangement by his parents after seeing his own siblings so happy with their spouses and little ones. "Are they...something you look forward to at all? Children, that is," he asked gently, not wanting to pressure her but eager to know if she might have been of the same mind.

DragonSong

Oh gods oh gods oh gods oh gods oh gods—

Lina laughed chimingly and tilted her head, a pretty blush coloring her cheeks again. "Well...to be perfectly honest I haven't given it too much thought. The last few weeks have been rather hectic, with the engagement happening so suddenly. I suppose I've just been..." She shrugged. "Taking things day by day."

There was a moment of silence, then she hurried to add, "Not that I wasn't excited! Or, um...oh dear."

With a soft groan she dropped her head into her hands. "It seems my mouth has run away with me again. Forgive me."

Juno

Niran smiled a bit in understanding, feeling entirely like he shouldn't have asked just because the topic had come up. They would have plenty of time to discuss and decide on such things later.

"No, please. It's alright," he tried to assure her, stepping closer to settle a hand at her shoulder in a gesture he hoped she might receive as care instead of pushiness.

"It has been sudden and quick... I can't imagine how it must feel to be moving and marrying all at once," he sympathized. "But I hope I can make this a comfortable home for you. Truthfully...I prefer to be away from the bustle most days anyway. There's a house further down the river I consider our true home. Smaller, quieter...perhaps once the excitement has settled down we can go out for a visit."

DragonSong

A house by the river?

She raised her head to blink up at him. "I— I'd like that." A smile curved at her lips again, the blush fading in favor of sparkling eyes. "I'd like that very much."

But that was still several days away, at least. And they hadn't even gotten through this day yet. Carefully swallowing a sigh, Lina glanced around the room again before looking back to her new husband. "Do you...think we should head back to the party?"

Juno

Her genuine look of happiness at his suggestion gave him hope they might form a real bond over such escapes, but he couldn't really dwell on it as she reminded him they were probably going to be missed very soon.

"Yes," he sighed wearily, chuckling softly and shaking his head as he cast a forlorn look out the window. The world around them seemed so peaceful and much preferable to all the festivities to be had downstairs.

"Would you like your veil removed before we go?" he offered, eyeing the way it was pinned to her hair and thinking it didn't look particularly comfortable to carry around.