Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How You Get the Girl [TheSaint]

Started by Maiden of Loss, December 04, 2018, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden of Loss

One early mid-winter morning, Aislynn the Songsmith wandered the bustling streets of Cerenis village. She was currently arranging for her pieces to be sold in the market and the early holiday sale going on in the merchant district. It was a bit of a process and though she could've asked for help from her friends within the district, she was far too hard-headed; besides, she didn't need a horse and cart. Besides, she reminded herself that horses seriously freaked her out. She was a bit of a city girl at heart and though the sight of the four-legged animal was familiar, Lynn usually went out of her way to avoid them.

Most of her morning consisted of hauling a few portraits out of her house and then figuring out how to transport them without a cart. She tapped her chin in thought and the Songsmith decided to place pieces of long parchment between the finished works and then inside her huge canvas bag she had especially for such an occasion. Thanks to her large frame, she could easily carry the bag under an arm safely and then also transport the crate of supplies she had. The blue elf figured she could also get a bit of work done while she was at it. Local festivals were often slow in the morning and though she was due to set up her merchant stall, most patrons didn't arrive until after lunch in the afternoon. The idea of her patrons seeing her process also appealed to her and the business woman in her thought it could possibly drive up the price for certain landscapes.

Lynn carefully packed away a plethora of supplies within her crate; a few brushes, paints and she even sometimes enjoyed working with charcoal or colored chalks. Whatever she could find, Aislynn would typically make it into her artistic medium and find a way to use it on a blank page or a blank canvas. Clad in comfortable clothing of a loose blue dress and her black leggings, she was dressed mostly for practicality and comfort that morning. Her long white hair was pulled back in a single long white braid and as she began to head for the merchant district, with her possessions in tow (the canvas bag stuffed under an arm and the crate being carried in her hands), she brightened a bit. The holiday sale was often a great chance to meet other local artists and even the occasional traveling merchant. She even had a merchant or two that often invested in multiple pieces of art and then returned to the mainland, spreading the word of her landscapes and often, whimsical pieces of art that range from scenes from her favorite fairy tales to past stories of wars and historical events she often became fascinated with.

Now, walking the streets was often a bit of an interesting task for Lynn; interesting in terms that most other pedestrians would dodge out of her way or even look up at her in shock. The bardess knew all too well that she was still a foreign sight to the locals but she simply smiled to them and didn't pay them too much heed. She stuck to the side of the cobblestone road, dodging this way and that; children running and playing through the streets, fishermen on the way to the docks and even the occasional drunk pirate or two. At one point, Lynn became heavily distracted and the canvas bag under her arm began to slip out of her grasp. She cursed softly to herself, muttering in a mixture of Elven and the local tongue. "Tits on a tavern wench, I'm going to be late again." She sighed to herself and she kept on her journey, weaving this way and that. When she finally reached the trade ward, she began to head down a side street to cut to the merchant square.

Just when she thought her morning was going well, the blue elf had to dodge a little girl running through the street in front of a horse drawn cart and her aquamarine eyes widened. She had to lift her crate and that meant stepping to the side and quickly twisting her tall leg out of the girl's way. Right when she thought she was in the clear, she suddenly saw a young man walking towards her on the same side of the street and he was heading straight for Aislynn. He seemed to be carrying several boards and crates himself.

That was the only time she had to consider the young man and while the Starstrider elf was quick on her feet, the young human male was already barreling towards her and he seemed to be in quite a hurry to avoid slowing down. Aislynn's eyes widened, very much like a deer caught in a hunter's trap and she quickly tried to call out to the young man.

"Watch out!!" She called to him at the top of her large lungs, her second Voice ringing out sharply out of distress and sincere shock, the large elf trying to veer to her left; though, she knew she wasn't about to avoid the inevitable collision with the young man carrying his own burden through the street.

@TheSaint

TheSaint

Moving through the crowded market area Lance jostled with the people unaccustomed to the standard tack of moving out of the way of people. He was a force on two feet, especially as he carried wooden planks in his arms which obstructed his sight in a manner that would be harmful to those not paying attention to where he was going as he certainly cared not for others at this point. A horse and a cart...that is what he needed in the future. At least until the shop was built, there was little way he was going to be able to get the heavy materials in position with just his own two hands no matter how stubborn he was, he was still practical.

Still though he was stubborn enough to have made the trip back and forth from the market area to the plot of land he had set up his shop on the fringe of town and this was already his fifth trip. The first four were spent getting the smaller items that he'd need. Nails, a hammer, a mallet and the common essentials to get what would be his business off the ground...or up from the ground as it where. Floor plans, and ideas ran through his mind. He had the idea of the building but what exactly he would sell and how he would sell it was still far off.

Looking over his latest haul, his head turning from side to side on a swivel, those dark eyes would gaze around the stalls which had already been set up. The festive atmosphere lost on someone who had for years found himself in the midst of winter drills back in Connlaoth and still dressed almost as if he was going to be conducting military like drills later on that day. His clothing was crisp and neat, if he had worn armor it would not have been too far out of the ordinary for how he looked at that point. Yet all of that lifestyle remained behind....well aside form the boots which he had taken with him and clicked with a near methodical precision with each step.

"Watch out!!!" The voice snapped his head forward and he lowered down his arms quickly expecting to see someone far smaller than the giantess of a woman who was barreling in toward him. He might have been able to stop on a dime in an ordinary circumstance but the blue hue of the woman caught him off guard and those seconds were lost in a clatter and a small 'Oomph' which came from his direction. Arms firmed up quick seeking not to lose any of the items he carried but there was still enough movement to cause a box of nails to clatter off to the side and spill among the cobble stones.

"For the sake of all..." He would start as he looked toward the scattered metal bits on the floor seeming to ignore the woman at that point. "This is going to take awhile..." He muttered aloud with a small tinge of annoyance easily heard in the inflection before he finally regarded the woman once again.

Maiden of Loss

Aislynn's aquamarine gaze widened and during the whole avoidance of the little girl tripping up the tall elven bardess, she had dropped her own crate of art supplies from her pale hands. For the second time that morning, the Starstrider elf found herself cursing softly beneath her breath. The large crate tipped to the side, spilling her supplies of new brushes, jars of paint and a few pieces of colored charcoal. A white brow furrowed and she looked down at her spilled cargo. With unusual grace and quickness, the large elf knelt down and quickly coaxed her supplies back into the crate, setting it upright. "Wouldn't you know it. I'm late but this time, it's because of my own stubbornness. Self-inflicted, I suppose." She mumbled to herself more than anyone. Once the crate and its contents were secured, she glanced toward the young human man.

She gave him an apologetic look with her sea form gaze, her hands moving to help pick up the nails spilled from the small box he dropped. "I'm so sorry. Normally, I pay attention, I swear. But I wasn't expecting it to be this busy this morning. I thought most would come for the festival in the afternoon." She gave a bit of an apologetic, embarrassed smile. Within a moment or two though, the tall and graceful elf had the nails returned to the box they belonged in. She was quick on her feet, that much was clear.

Once everything was cleaned up and secured, her aquamarine eyes returned to the young man before her. Lynn was fairly certain he was new to the area because she had never seen him before. She couldn't decide if he was a young soldier or a merchant, though he certainly had the slight bearing of a warrior fresh out of the army and his boots also indicated as much. Being the curious creature, she was, she couldn't help but study his features for a moment. Clearly, her own appearance had taken him off guard. Well, she didn't blame him, really. A large blue elf tended to do that and most humans were normally surprised when they first saw the bardess.

Still, he was sort of....cute, in a way. She had to admit that much to herself. Not a bad looking male, really, but that was Lynn. She was always a nosey one at heart and this moment didn't change that. Her lips quirked into a small, amused smirk and once she realized that she was probably sizing him up, she decided to scoop up the box of nails and then offer it out to Lance. "Here, I think you dropped this. Though, that was my fault, admittedly." She said softly to him, her eyes brightening with warmth and amusement. "Building something, are you? Had to ask, considering what you're carrying there." She gestured to the supplies she noted that he was carrying.

It was a rare occasion that Lynn found herself distracted from her own work and her art. Still, this...seemingly ordinary human intrigued her. She wasn't sure why and while the bardess knew perfectly well she was late to her own plans, she didn't find herself caring much. Her aquamarine gaze flickered with intrigue and genuine interest, her pale hand still outreached in offer of the box that was originally tipped over from Lance's hands.

She felt a little uneasy, even, being studied by the human male. Lynn was a bit of a walking contradiction, even physically, it seemed to him. Blue and tall, she stood out from the rest of the locals and she appeared even androgynous in shape. She knew well enough that she stood out and, in that moment, she wasn't sure if she liked it much. A note of unexpected self-consciousness filled the female elf.

@TheSaint

TheSaint

"From what I understand most people tend to come to the festivals early simply because they think everyone will show up in the afternoon." He would remark as he watched the woman start work to collect the dropped nails. Kneeling down slightly he moved to try and help as much as he could but her deftness meant he didn't have much to pick up. For the time being the color of her skin was out of his mind as she made her apologies. "I wouldn't worry about..it was an accident after all and truth be told I was walking fairly quickly for a crowded area."

A shift the blame over to himself to try and ease up the moment he would also take a moment to extend his arm down toward....her? He wasn't quite sure, the voice was feminine clearly, and some of her features tilted toward one but the rest of her form did not necessarily meet what he would have ordinarily expected. Then again who expects a giant blue elf to run into them in the middle of a crowded market? Certainly not this man from Connlaoth and certainly not most humans in general unless they were raised around creatures of magic and that is when he gave her an uncertain look once more.

Still though that large hand was offered to help the distracted elf onto their feet again. "Yeah...I arrived not too long ago in the city and I'm building a shop where I plan on offering services of smith, and carpentry work. Also some animal husbandry if there is need for it. Artist?" . Words flowed quickly as those dark eyes shifted to gaze around the market. Did he notice the looks she was giving him? His outward appearance wasn't giving any indication of a yes or no at that moment. "My name is Lance by the way...and you are?"

There we go, if they were going to have a proper conversation or at least a semblance of one he was at least going to get her name. He wasn't raised in a barn...for the most part. With all his words though she would have noticed a certain cool tone to his inflection. He was clearly not going to be overly friendly and he was certainly not a local.

Maiden of Loss

"You were in quite a bit of a hurry there, weren't you?" Aislynn replied back in a soft, amused tone. Her white brows lifted and she chuckled to herself. Humans always did seem in a more of a hurry than she did, though, she didn't have room to judge really, did she? Her own compulsive habit of being chronically late was a terrible habit and she was still trying to kick it after two centuries. She felt her pale cheeks flush slightly and she reached to take his offered hand, pulling herself back onto her feet with his aid.

Judging from her clothing and the way she wore her hair, the elf was undoubtedly female, despite her shape. She felt herself regain her confidence and she stood straight, brushing herself off once she was steady on her feet once more. Her aquamarine eyes shifted and creased with slight amusement, considering the human male before her.

"That certainly explains all the boxes, then." Her lips twitched into a warm smile and she spoke steadily, once she felt herself balanced on her own two feet once more. Oh, she definitely noticed the looks he was giving her though; she even seemed a bit amused by it and she couldn't blame his curiosity or even surprise. "I'm Aislynn. Nice to meet you, Lance. And yes, I'm an artist and bardess by trade." She answered with a slight smile and the elf didn't seem too put off. If anything, she seemed used to it, somehow. Her gaze flickered, something akin to her own curiosity and she gestured to his own boxes that he was carrying.

"Would you like some help with those? I have my own engagements to attend to in a bit but I do have time to spare to help you carry those to your new shop. If anything, I'm curious. I may need a blacksmith's services sometime in the near future." And that much was true but her own uncharacteristic quality of being intrigued continued. She wasn't sure what it was but her insides nagged at her to find out more about this strange human man; even if admittedly, he wasn't that strange at all. It was just a human man. What on earth was so special? She had no idea what the answer was but she intended to find out, anyway.

@TheSaint