At the verge of Nothingness

Started by Loremongrel, February 23, 2019, 11:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loremongrel

At the verge of Nothingness

Art by Halycon450

--- ---[=|0|=]--- ---

<< Damn place, damn tundra and absolutely damn me !>>

In his tent just outside Hyoite, in the poorly prepared camp of the Le'raana's National Guard, commander Remus was freezing as his spirit was boiling with anger and frustation.
In almost 30 years of service, that man never stepped in a place like that, and even for too much vague reasons: not even a month ago, a local tribe sighted in the distance of a point far to the north what looked like some structure, and now he was there, with his arse freezing and his health falling to levels lower than the temperature for understand what happened to that tribe and what was that mysterious structure.

As the man was walking up and down his tent, some people entered in there.

<< Oh, great, you must be those that responded to the announces ! 't was about time, let me say.>> The voice of the man was stern, but his expression was satisfied, from seeing that now everything was going to start.
<<All right, let me explain once more your job, and don't interrupt me: you have to get up to Langstjerne Island, the island way up north from here. You will receive a horse each, and a few supplies to better help you; it will take 3 days, maybe 5 if the weather get ugly as the last squad found. Any questions, soldiers ?>>

Remus stayed there, with his hands on the hips waiting for anything the adventurers had to ask

Eckhart_Von_Musel

*Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.*

Ahnah Nanurjuk trudged up the snowy path dutifully, seemingly unfazed by the freezing temperature. Her backpack made jingling noises as she moved, the various pots and pans strapped to the outside hitting against each other gently. Finally, the woman could see tents in the distance, and began to quicken her pace.

It wasn't for the scenery that she was here- bulletin had been posted at a nearby inn, calling for able warriors to help deal with a vaguely described "problem". It was was the unknown aspect of the job that had intrigued her- Ahnah's target had a penchant for trickery and deception, and something like this seemed like something the fae would be involved with.

At least, it was from what Ahnah could remember. It had been decades...

The woman stepped inside the tent, remaining silent as the man spoke. There were a few others who had showed up for the job, but Ahnah spared them barely a glance. As their prospective employer finished, she crossed her arms. "When do we leave?"

Loremongrel

Remus was happy that the woman asked for that, a wide grin formed on his ruddy face: << Well, the I would suggest to wait till the storm outside finish. It's a white hell outside, and I don't know if your companions are ready for fight hypothermia. Of corse, if you're ready you can go get your horses and follow this.>>

Remus handled to the adventurers a map, one each, saying that that was the best way to get to destination safe and sound... almost.

<< And do a good job, I don't want other blood on my hands...>>

DanatTheMemeStealer

Staycho wasn't really used to such climate, so he was very much fazed by the cold. Covered with set of furs on top of his armour, with something to cover both his head and mouth.
"Zimno tu jak w dupie Marzanny...[1]" he murmured under his breath, as he was making his way towards the tent that was supposed to be his destination.
He would always gladly accept a mission, if it meant getting some extra stuff from it.

He wasn't the first to arrive, but he didn't really care about that. With heavy heart he took of piece of clothing covering his mouth and greeted other people in the tent.
He listened to be sure what his objective was and usually just nodded to confirm his understanding.

Glancing on a map that was handed to them, he made sure to memorize some points on it. Just in case.
He cleared his throat. Mainly to catch others attention. "I... vant to vait for storm to stop. Not good veather to travel."
He didn't really mention that idea of riding a horse made him uncomfortable but he didn't say anything. It wasn't really that hard to see though.
~~

[1]"It's cold like in Marzanna asshole". Marzanna is a Polish name for Slavic Goddess of Winter and Death.

Loremongrel

The only thing Remus did, was to nod at the green skinned man's words. It was a relief that someone said that, for once.