Main Menu

The Nursery of Glass

Started by echtronis, April 16, 2019, 09:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echtronis

Mid-Morning
The House of Eternal Sun
Essyrn

Summer's Promise inspected silks in the style one was expected to wear within this jewel of a city she spent so much of her life avoiding. Between having spent far too many of her paper money, and her usual comfort in the covering shawls necessary among the villages east to the sands, none of it quite felt quite right to her. She preferred humility in prayer, but she could hardly appear a pauper when petitioning a prince within his own palace. Eventually, she would resign that it was still more humble than the gown from her betrothed, and if she tarried too much longer the heat of the day would ruin the bathing she had done for the palace's shrine. At least the city Essyrni still valued purity in cleanliness.

All these concerns, blessedly would, at least momentarily, leave her in the shrine. In submission to Hakeshna, there was no room for thoughts of money, no fear of the spite of nobles. One serpentine head to grant wisdom and guidance, washing away doubts of the accuracy of her discoveries, and another serpentine head to grant the strength and conviction to be confident in the letter burnt in ceremony to her promised Lord in beseeching his aid. It was all to Hakeshna's Will now.

Having left the shrine, Summer's Promise would find herself to the palace gardens, enjoying their peaceful wonder at one of the curved, carved benches, finding enjoyment in the shade of the fronds as she awaited her gracious host, taking dates and coffee from one of his many servants with gentle thanks. Another delivered her satchel of her works. This one she recognized from her previous visit, and she asked which son of Zaahir she was intended to meet on his behalf. The servant fell into immediate, perhaps practiced, songs of praises in the name of the eldest and youngest, but nothing of the middle son, Amani , curiously. Summer's Promise paused only momentarily in case the servant had simply forgotten, but quickly returned to indulge in the praises of Mirza, inwardly entertaining a humorous thought of the small boy she once called student handling today's negotiations.

Meanwhile, in an entirely different palace of brass, obsidian, and the reddest of jade, words guided through wispy embers were brought to form before a visage of Eternal Flame. Molten eyes swirled to allow the semblance of pupils to swallow in the words consigned to him from a consort in the mortal sands. A rumbling growl of mirth rolled from a form half expressed, and a breath of conflagration called upon a consortium of lesser fires. "Prepare the chariot." was all he said, spreading the flames of his breath with a smooth blow, looking upon a ring to find another connected in the lore of Ifriti, one half in flame, of which they named Agnimitra.

SanctifiedSavage

The endless sea of sand was home to Agnimitra. She didn't have the customary white tents to blot out the high noon sun. Rather, the black fabric that she would seek shelter in later was for the cold nights, when the heat of the day was chased away. For now, she lounged on the burning sands like one would a beach and idly picked at the meat of a snake that'd been caught the night before. She wasn't all too hungry, but it seemed rude not to at least eat some of it when it'd been brought by her napping companions. They might've been able to tolerate the heat more so than most, but even the banda couldn't be bothered to move around during high noon.

It was just too hot.

Desert hot was one thing, and one she was entirely familiar with, but the sudden shimmering heat wave that rolled down one near by dune was unnatural. She sat up, molten gaze narrowing, before she actually scrambled to her feet as the shimmering air turned to actual, too hot for her fire.

The banda rolled awake, hissing their displeasure and backing away. Even Agnimitra had to retreat a step from the heat as stark red horses pulling a glittering golden chariot stepped out of that fire and into her world. The horses were huge, of a breed and appearance she'd never seen before. Radiating a warmth that was uncomfortable even to her. Manes, tails, and hooves rolled with blue flame as the pawed at the now blistering sand.

The chariot opened and a maroon skinned man decorated in extravagant wealth stepped lightly out. He was easily taller than Agnimitra, with long ashen grey hair and eyes as fiery as her own. There was something both familiar and terrifying about him, causing her to take even more steps back.

Her banda further retreated, heads lowered and frills fanned. Irritated but unwilling to challenge the ifrit in their mist. Not even for their bonded.

"Dearest," he spoke, voice like lava down her back. Hot and molten and enticing all the same. "I want to make a deal with you."

Her thoughts were scattered and scorched. Her skin felt like it might very well burn, which was the oddest sensation for her. Something Agnimitra wasn't sure she should fear, or crave. Before she knew it, though, she heard herself say, "What do you want?" There was an almost desperate eagerness. Another chance to see him? A chance to deal with him? Whatever it'd take...

"I want you to go to Essyrni, to a temple there and seek out a woman. She's need of a guide." One of his large hands lifted, palm up, to summon a fiery replica of the woman Agnimitra should look for. It lasted but a moment, the flicker of a candle flame in the wind, but the image was burned into Agnimitra's mind. "Go to the temple of Hakeshna to find her."

Agnimitra shivered but nodded. "In exchange...?"

He laughed. The rumble of a volcano threatening to loose its top. The sand jumped around his feet. "In exchange, you get to ask me three questions regarding your father."

Seeing as how she'd never even seen another ifrit before now, let alone one who might know anything about her... "The terms?" She couldn't get distracted.

His molten eyes glowed, amused. "Guide as you do, until the end of the supposed journey. Until the woman you meet says she is satisfied with your job. Then return here, and we will speak again."

Here. For almost anyone else, the seemingly random spot in the desert might be hard to find again, but the half-ifrit would. She set her jaw, considered for only a moment, but knew she'd already accepted before she nodded.

"Best hurry then. It'd be a shame if she left before you could arrive."

OOC

Sorry for the rambling.
[close]

@Cuidadio

quaggan

"Can I come along?" Mirza asked, making his best pleading manipulative face. "I think I can counter Moallima's* Nardshir strategy now. I promise I will behave - I probably will spend most of the time trying to come up with a move to answer her response to mine anyway..."

Few things posed more challenge to Faysal than saying no to Mirza, and those few usually were related to him anyway. It was a weakness he had no way of working on overcoming, therefore he was forced to plan around the consequences of his failure. "I assure you, you will not have to wait long. As soon as the terms are agreed upon, you will be able to see Assyedah* Summer's Promise."

He was operating on the assumption that she wished to resume her previous employment, but it was a safe one to make. Every Merchant Prince took the education of his children seriously, be it the comprehensive competence required of an heir, or whatever he deemed necessary to demand of his daughters. No expense was spared. And Summer's Promise was an excellent tutor - Faysal regretted her leave earlier, but throwing his weight around and attempting to convince her to stay and continue her work would only sour the situation and make her even less likely to return in the future.

"Why won't you go and tell the slaves to prepare the Nardshir board" he suggested. "I will go iron out the boring details."

Mirza grinned, barely restraining the urge to tackle his brother. "I will! Thank you!" he shouted, charging out of the room. Faysal watched him leave with a fond smile on his face, then gestured to the slaves to bring his sedan chair. If they had a guest to be entertained, he could not afford to be seen being simply carried around like an infant.

He took one of the scrolls along, to read on the way. Ever since becoming responsible for a part of the family finances, there was never enough hours in a day that he could afford to waste any time. It was not a habit he would engage in as a guest at a friend's house - it would be disrespectful, and there was a lot he could learn by observing someone's living surroundings. But the Palace of the Rising Sun was his home, there was little he could learn from it, and his father was away dealing with important matters.

He put the scroll away as they were nearing the gardens. The slaves tending the plants pointed his porters towards their guest. Faysal noticed that she was offered some refreshments, but there wasn't anyone with a fan. Today wasn't as hot as the rest of the week, but it was still an inexcusable breach of hospitality that had to be remedied. Frowning, he sent one of the attending slaves to fetch the fanners and inform the overseer of the negligence.

"Morning of light to you" he greeted Summer's Promise as the slaves set down the chair. He couldn't stand up to receive her properly, but he's found a workaround by moving his arm into a half-welcome. There were no guidelines of etiquette for him to follow, leaving a little room to manoeuvre.

*Cursory google search for titles (referring to teachers & simpler ones like Miss) in Middle Eastern cultures led me to this. Any input and corrections welcome.