Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Out with the Old [DaGlob]

Started by DragonSong, November 19, 2019, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Dauphin DaGlobster

In another life, maybe, Yvaine thought she might have actually liked her new home. The manor was spacious and well-lit, most of the rooms bearing large windows that stretched from floor to ceiling, or nearly. Her new bedchamber itself had a wall that was almost entirely window, leading out onto a small but elegant balcony. And it really was a fine set of rooms, even aside from that: the bed was luxurious, she had her own private bath chamber, a small sitting room for "taking tea", as she'd been told, even a smallish sort of study space that seemed to have mostly served as an offshoot of the main library up until this point.

Yes, in pretty much any other circumstances she might have been quite happy here. Aside from her family--well, her brothers, really--she had anything she could possibly want.

Anything except her freedom.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic," Amelia Devereaux had snapped at her daughter when Yvaine voiced this two days ago when they'd first arrived. "You're his betrothed, not his prisoner." She'd narrowed her eyes, pinning Yvaine in place with a cold, distant glare. "You have a responsibility, Yvaine."

She could taste iron in the back of her throat at those words.

And that was that. She hadn't seen or heard from her family since they'd left her...her betrothed's manor two days ago. She knew she wouldn't until the wedding in two weeks' time. It was a bit unorthodox for the new bride to be living in her husband's home before they were officially married, but her parents had wanted her in Uthlyn--with him--as quickly and efficiently as possible. Nip those rumors in the bud, he father had said flatly.

So here she was. Far from her home, her family, her friends, everything and everyone she'd ever known. And this is where she would stay.

Yvaine did find some solace in the library of Thistlewhit Manor--a rather fanciful name, but almost despite herself she thought it might be able to grow on her. She only hoped the same could be said of its lord.

It was a massive room on the first flood which stretched upward nearly a full two stories, accessibly from the second floor by a thin balcony that wrapped around the interior. It was on the balcony that she'd been finding herself most often the past two days, skimming the shelves with her fingertips as she familiarized herself with the place.

That evening though, she decided to take a closer look at the first floor--which was really more a personal museum than it was a library. The floor space was mostly occupied with carefully organized glass and wood display cases, plush-carpeted paths winding between them. There were the customary bookshelves along the walls, of course, but these were rare, old tomes. Some even dealt with arcane topics, though all of those were chained behind a special glass case front.

Lord Farris Seigbert was a man of refined, eclectic tastes, and he was quite proud of his collection. In fact, it was nearly all they'd spoken of in the last few days. Which was better than quite a few alternatives, she supposed, but still...he was just so incredibly dull! Ansgar, she'd thought she might just expire from boredom when he attempted to give her a tour of this lower floor earlier and spent nearly fifteen minutes waxing poetic about a scrap of cloth supposedly once part of a holy knight's banner.

Luckily he'd retired for the night, leaving her alone in the library. Yvaine looped around the back of the room, her eyes skimming the tall shelves. Her eyebrows crept up. As much as she didn't want to vindicate Seigbert's pride in his collection--as he hadn't actually done anything to acquire these books and artifacts, other than inherent quite a bit of money--she had to admit the titles and authors she saw on these tomes were impressive.

I just wish...

No. No, stop that!

Gritting her teeth, Yvaine slammed her hand into the side of a bookshelf, sending a resounding THUD pulsing out through the vaulted room. She didn't care. No one was around to here.

"Stop wishing, stupid girl," she hissed to herself, fists clenched tight at her sides, head bowed forward and eyes tight shut. "Wishing is what got you here."

DaGlobster

Ahh, Connlaoth. Herrick loved thieving here. The walls were always well patrolled, there was that added anti-magic risk, and the nobles were just packed with excess riches. Just what he needed to keep his edge sharp.

And lo and behold, what could call to such an elusive master thief as him like the promise of a long-lost divine artifact, recently acquired by a noble family and hoarded away in secret? So he'd done his research, or what little of it he could with his contacts in the country. It had been acquired through less than savory channels, and as far as he knew it hadn't resurfaced in the public eye.

So it must be kept either in the vault, or perhaps as a quiet personal effect. So he'd have to go in through the second floor either way, by the looks of it. The balcony was fairly convenient and the estate itself wasn't walled or particularly guarded, just the usual security.

"All the better," Herrick muttered to himself, and he stood up into a crouch. He took a bit more time to observe the routes of the guards patrolling the gardens and courtyards. He'd been brushing back up on his magic and made a mental note to himself to use more of it so he kept the skill sharp.

He was quick to slink down across the street, and during a vulnerable moment he clambered up the stone corners of the wrought iron fence that surrounded the manor and surmounted it. Getting across the gardens was easy, and he was climbing up the wall and reaching the balcony in pretty quick time. He took his lockpicks out to start working on the balcony door, making sure to cast a silence spell and slowly whisper it to himself to keep the effect going. The lock took him a minute to get through, but soon enough he was soundlessly opening and stepping through the door, closing it behind him.

His stomach dropped when he looked down and spotted a woman, dressed finely enough to be the lady of the house, perusing through the lower shelves. And then his eyes rolled around the room and sure as bear shit in the woods a fragment of the Unknown Paladin's War Banner was sitting there, in a locked cabinet in the library's study area. It was sitting prominently in the center of the collection and Herrick couldn't help but curse and thank his luck.

What he came for right here in front of him, but the library had an occupant...

No worries! He let himself down silently on top of the shelves and dropped down, landing like a feather despite how tall he was. He was behind her, but he turned away to slip to another aisle and to a hiding spot. Just then, she slammed the wood and Herrick froze. At first, he thought he'd been caught, but when it was just her having some issues, well...

Yikes...

he was about to turn away when suddenly a book from up above tipped over the edge, having needed just that extra push. Magical Plants of Connlaoth, Three-Volume Atlas came down like a brick made of knowledge and slammed into him, causing him to stumble and stop to catch himself.

He knew he was screwed, that he couldn't get around the corner in time. She'd scream for sure, so instead of running he focused himself to his magic and tried to extend the radius of his silence, he could only hope that it would take effect in time.

DragonSong

Yvaine whipped around at the sound, eyes wide and skirts whirling dramatically around her legs. She hissed in a breath and cursed softly, quickly slapping at the fabric in a slightly-less-than-ladylike manner to try to prevent it from hindering her stride as she started back down the center aisle of the room.

Her eyes narrowed, searching. Her brain had snapped into a higher level of alertness, thoughts spinning as she took a step, then another. She could call for the guards--she wasn't familiar with their patrol pattern yet, but she knew somehow had to be within shouting distance at least. But if whoever, or whatever, had made that sound meant her harm...

Shouting was probably not her best option.

"...Who's there?" Her voice snapped out, harsh and commanding, but no louder than a rough whisper.

DaGlobster

Okay, damn, no luck there. He was already found, she just hadn't laid eyes on him. He was standing up straight against the edge of a shelf, making himself as thin as possible so he could conceal himself behind it.

He could hear her shuffling towards the door, but she hadn't called out, an interesting choice. It meant he wasn't immediately made out, at least, but now he had to play this right.

"Nobody who wants to hurt you, madam," he whispered back, although he didn't move or reveal himself quite yet.

"I'm just here for one thing," he continued, and the sound of his rapier sheathe unbuckling pierced the silence and he held an arm out from behind his hiding place to hold it out.

"See? Not here to hurt anyone."

DragonSong

Yvaine went still again when she actually received an answer. She hadn't really been expecting that--though she wasn't sure herself what she had been expecting.

Then a flicker of motion caught her eye; it took a moment, but once she'd focused on the sheathe and realized what it was she found herself taking an instinctive step back. No one who wants to hurt you, the housebreaker had said.

Right.

"I'm just supposed to believe that?" she snapped, folding her arms in front of her bodice. Despite the fact that she knew she probably should scream, should call for help, she continued to keep her voice relatively low, just above a whisper.

Even she wasn't sure why. Recklessness, maybe. Or boredom. Or something dangerously like hope.

"Come into the light," she demanded, her eyes already flicking around to take stock of the few display cases around her, trying to identify if any of the artifacts could be used as a weapon.

DaGlobster

To be fair, if the Lord of the house was into collecting ancient paladin banners, ancient blades or Old Adelan style axes would not be too unusual a collector's item...

"I'll be forthcoming, I know I'm not exactly in a trustworthy position," he started, and he slowly came out from behind the bookshelf, steps even so he wouldn't spook her. He set his rapier on one of the study tables that happened to be nearby.

Even in the clear light, his darkened leather armor and padded cloak made him little more than a tall shadow until he pulled his hood back and tugged down the black cloth that covered his mouth and nose. His long, reddish hair was pulled back into a ponytail for stealth purposes, leaving his squared face and green eyes unframed. He was tall but also thin and flexible looking, not as bulky as one would expect for his stature.

"I'm here for just one thing, and it's in this room," he started, and he rested a hand against the study table to lean against it.

DragonSong

Yvaine took an automatic step back, even though she had been the one to demand that he come forward. Her eyes flickered from the thief--she was fairly sure that's what he was by now, a thief, not an assassin or something equally dramatic--to the rapier he had placed on the table and back.

"...And what might that be?" It was phrased as a question, but her lifted chin and hard eyes made it clear that it was a command to speak. She could be imposing when she wanted--and by God, if she was to be the Lady of the house, then she would make sure anyone who set foot in the place knew it.

"And while I hardly expect you to give me your proper name, I won't very well continue this conversation by referring to you as "hey, you" or some such. So tell me what to call you, what you're here for, and give me a very good reason why I shouldn't yell for the guards."

She narrowed her eyes at him, hazel gaze gone gray with a fierce, prideful kind of anger. Her almost doll-like features had somehow hardened from porcelain to immovable steel. "You have approximately thirty seconds."

DaGlobster

Herrick smiled when she gave him thirty seconds, and he quietly pulled a seat out so he could sit down, one leg crossed over the other. Why not be honest with her? It's not like he didn't already have a bounty on him here in Connlaoth anyways. Mostly for grand larceny and burglary.

"My name's Herrick Tavish, and I'm just here for that scrap right there," he said, indicating towards the holy paladin's banner fragment.

"Nothing else. Calling the guards won't really change anything, I can make it out of here with it faster than they can burst in. But..."

He leaned forwards and put out a chair for her, and gave her a disarming smile.

"Do you know the actual legend of Letrois The Golden? If you bring it here I can translate the scripts, I can read old Adelan."

DragonSong

She just stared at him for a moment, silent.

"And why," Yvaine said after several long, tense beats of quiet, "should I do that?" She gestured to him dismissively, with the well-practiced air of nobility. "You have just admitted your intent to steal from my--from this house. Why on earth should I humor you?"

Strangely, though her eyes were still narrowed and her mouth still a thin, hard line, she didn't seem quite so...so angry as she perhaps should have been. Her question almost seemed to be genuine; she wanted him to give her a reason, a good reason.

DaGlobster

At her question, Herrick sort of paused. He could read the lack of anger in her expression, hear the genuine tone of her voice. He rest his chin on his knuckles, thoughtful. He narrowed his own eyes at her for a moment, before smiling warmly.

"Part of me's saying that you're curious, that you want to know more than you let on. Or maybe you're just bored," he said, not teasing but speaking honestly. He glanced around at the library and then back to Yvaine. His expression became somber, almost... understanding. He used to be the scion of a noble family, after all, and her outburst earlier didn't exactly leave much to the imagination.

"Or maybe... you want someone to talk to?"

DragonSong

Yvaine had to draw on a good deal of her etiquette lessons not to let her reaction to that show on her face. She wasn't sure which idea was more unsettling--that he'd been around long enough to observe her minor break earlier, or that she was simply that easy to read.

"...Perhaps," she allowed after a long moment spent just staring at him, considering. "But that still hardly makes you trustworthy. You could be planning any number of heinous things, just waiting for me to let my guard down."

She didn't believe it, not really, and it was clear in her tone, in the slight shift to her expression that in other circumstances might have been described as almost playful.

"However," she murmured after another moment, "I believe that qualifies as reason enough not to call the guard. For now." She took a step back, one hand surreptitiously reaching onto a shelf behind her, the motion hopefully hidden by her skirts.

The mounted rapier was an antique, sure, but she had a feeling it would still work in a pinch.

DaGlobster

"For now," Herrick conceded, and he slid off the table he was sitting on and gave the library around him a nice looking over. "I'd hate to have to trash this place with a fight, though."

"This isn't such a bad spot, you know. I've seen this manor plenty of times in town, but never had the chance to, well... explore," he said, keeping his voice low but otherwise letting her know that he was comfortable with her around.

He approached the banner fragment,sealed away in a glass-topped display box, and he took a moment to just pass his hands over the frame of the box. With his back to her, she'd be able to see that he had an ornate pistol with a rather over-sized barrel and extensive dragon motifs strapped to his rear hip.

"In truth, Letrois is only a theoretical identity for The Unnamed Paladin. An old Adelan lord whose life story lines up well with The Paladin's tale, but nobody really knows..." he said, trailing off as he finally found the hidden latch and undid the seal.

There was still a lock to get through, but that was easy.

"But if you know how to read Old Adelan, and you had access to an original artifact, who knows, maybe you and me are about to make theological history."

DragonSong

The hilt of the rapier fell into her palm. Yvaine quickly flicked it behind her back, hidden by her skirts as she shifted back and around the display case when Herrick approached it. She seemed to be listening to him, though her eyes tracked his every movement with the tense wariness of a hunting hound.

When he flicked open the seal she moved in a sudden, surprisingly graceful burst of motion. The rapier came up to press the tip gently against the hollow of his throat, and she somehow managed to keep her hand steady.

"I said I would not call the guard." Her voice and eyes were hard. "I did not say I would allow you to take or do as you please. Step back, ser."

Yvaine was by no means an accomplished swordswoman, but he had no way of knowing that. She hoped the bluff would be enough to earn her some time.

And she had actually been listening to him. Tilting her head, she mused carefully, "If you prove an amiable guest, serrah, I may be willing to take you to the library where such artifacts are stored. Though I cannot allow you to steal from this house." She pressed the blade just a bit more firmly against him before backing off again slightly.

DaGlobster

The rapier to the neck was a pretty good way to get him to stop, and he he nodded a little bit, returning the steel in her eyes with the same kind of mettle in his own. He was fairly confident she wouldn't just slash his neck here, and he even managed a grin.

"Of course, M'lady, my bad for being so presumptuous," he said, and he motioned to a bottle of wine sitting by some cups on a platter, probably placed there by a servant or the lord of the house himself as he did some private reading.

"Could I pour you a cup?"

DragonSong

"No." Yvaine smiled, a tiny thrill of excitement going through her as she allowed the rapier to fall back to her side completely.

She'd done that. Her. Future husband be damned, this strange thief in a stranger library was her adventure to handle.

Probably the last chance at one she'd ever get.

"No," she said again, with a nod to the wine. "But feel free to help yourself. The lord of the manor has very...expensive taste, I assure you."

She could appreciate the move for what it was, but she wasn't about to let this strange who had already confessed to wanting to steal an artifact from the manor get her drunk.

DaGlobster

"Very kind of you, all things considered," Herrick said with a friendly dip of his head. He spoke confidently and politely, not quite like the common street urchins and more like someone of similar breeding as Yvaine herself.

But there was a different kind of look in his eye. A thrill for the sudden danger, some sort of happy realization that this woman wasn't just a reedy gasper, that she actually had some mettle to her. He paid his rapier no mind, although the feeling of the empty sheathe on his belt made him feel uneasy. He didn't usually keep too much of a distance between himself and the fortune-blessed weapon.

Oh well. It seemed it'd already served him well enough tonight.

Instead, he went and poured himself a cup, and then he stepped up to one of the bookshelves, eyes scanning the spines with a genuine curiosity.

"Quite the collection of history volumes... Adelan feudalism, the Essyrni tribal conflicts..."

Then, he smiled a little wider.

"I was never really much for history."

DragonSong

"Nor I, really." She huffed and leaned her hip up against the nearest display case. She still watched Herrick warily, but seemed to be growing fractionally more relaxed.  "Of course, noble daughters are typically given more lessons in decorum and current policy than history. Even if one wanted to learn."

She eyed him up and down, considering. She had a hunch... "But you probably knew that, didn't you?"

Her eyes moved to the books he was skimming. "Why such an interest? Are you a collector, or just stealing for one?"

DaGlobster

Indeed, something about her words rang true to Herrick and he nodded.

"I'm not a stranger to the world of the nobility, though I wasn't quite born into it either," he said, but there was a shadow that passed over his expression when he was reminded of the constricting life that he'd left.But then he met her eyes, and maybe she'd be able to see some recognition in his eyes. As if he'd realized that they weren't all that different...

"I didn't have much time for history, either, unless it had something to do with the military," he started.

"But I love legends. Tales of myths and forgotten holy relics. I'm not here because gold motivates me, either."

He pushed off the bookshelf.

"I'm here because that banner fragment might help me piece together something much larger," he said with a smile, and swigged from his wine. Then, he shot her a grin.

"Curious?"

DragonSong

Yvaine smiled back--not the cool, polite smile of a courtier, but something bright and brief and a little wild.

"Who wouldn't be curious?" She tipped her head to one side and arched an eyebrow. "Though only a fool submits to curiosity at the cost of forsaking sound judgement. I haven't forgotten that you're here to steal from...from my betrothed."

She stumbled a bit over the words and winced internally, hoping he wouldn't notice. God but she'd been avoiding calling the man that, as though if she didn't say it, somehow it wouldn't be true. But she was astute enough to recognize that emphasizing her claim to the property he was trying to pilfer might be a subtle hint to mind himself.

Still, she couldn't stop herself from adding, "Though, if you make it worth my time...as I said, I know where the artifacts you're talking about are kept. I could show you." Her lips twitched up one one side and she turned the rapier she still held so it caught the light for a moment. "Under supervision, of course."

DaGlobster

That smile resonated with Herrick the most, and he focused on that little tidbit more than the flub that came afterwards.

Mostly because he knew exactly what was wrong. It was the very same thing that caused him to run away from his life of riches, after all.

"Worth your time? What could you want, with all your worldly needs tended to?" he said, teasing her, but he was quick to continue in a sober tone. He took a seat at the small table, but not before pulling the seat across from him out for Yvaine.

"Maybe it's the same thing I wanted, when I was in your position," he said.