Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Always an adventure [OPEN]

Started by Storm, March 29, 2020, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm

Malki rubbed his temples as he waited for his ale. Sitting at a back table he found comfort in the isolation away from the hustle of the city life. He always hated coming here but he couldn't resist the cheep medical supplied the college supplied to those who asked for it. They may be experimental treatments but he needed to refill his stock before he wen any further. And plus, for a third of the cost of normal supplies on the road he could save a bit and pick up something nice later on.

Nodding to the waitress who dropped off his ale he settled into his chair comfortably. There was no reason to be hasty. The road would always be there for him whenever he needed and right now, he needed a comfortable place to sit, and hopefully a mental rest. Its not like he was opposed to people, its just they tended to make things more difficult. He smirked a bit and took a sip as he scanned the crowd of people inside the stuffy building.

Hope

Acadia glanced at the tall man in the back. She thought she recognized him from earlier, when she had stopped by the local college to gather a few ingredients for her little side business. It was rare to find someone introverted in such a social city, and she felt she wanted to learn more about him. On the other hand, the guy didn't seem too interested in talking.

She took another sip of her drink and reached for her tarot deck. There was a buzzy sort of energy surrounding them. She pondered the image of the man again, then absentmindedly drew a card from her deck.

The Two of Cups.

Hmm. It wasn't always that the cards spoke so clearly, but right now, they certainly recommended she at least approach the strange man. She gathered her courage and took another gander at him.

Storm

Malki let his eyes wander, catching eyes every once in a while. He kept scanning for something interesting, landing on a young woman with strange looking cards eyeing him. He raised an eyebrow. He had seen cards like hers before he just never knew what they were. He could tell she was in debate with herself. She certainly was an interesting looking person.

Malki sighed and put down his drink and crossed his arms staring her down now very intrigued at this person who seemed to want to approach. He half wanted to make his way over the other half wanted to watch and see what would happen next.He settled on staying and watching for a while longer and make his way over later if she did not come over herself, at least in his corner he had good access to the exit and a view of everyone in the room should anything happen.

Hope

Acadia caught her breath as her eyes accidentally met the man's. There was no going back now; he had spotted her. She made her way cautiously to his table, wondering what to say.

It had been a long time since she'd tried to approach a stranger. Since the day her "family" of sorts had abandoned her, she hadn't really felt comfortable talking to strangers. After all, if the people she was closest to had no problem leaving her in the middle of the night, who was to say what a stranger might think of her?

These bitter thoughts swirled in her mind and she struggled to get ahold of herself. "Hi," she managed to say, her voice a little shaky. She wet her lips and tried again. "I noticed you up at the college gathering herbs. May I ask what craft you practice?"

Storm

Malki nodded in greeting nudging a chair out for her to sit down. Eyeing her a bit longer he sighed and took a quick drink.

"I am a field medic. And I dabble in other activities as they catch my interest." He said after a bit. "I specialize in infections and other ailments. The college and I have an arrangement at the moment."

Watching her reaction closely he shrugged off her initial off put nervous reactions around him.

"People normally approach me. Its not unwelcome but what made you come over?" He asked curious. It really was strange to come up to him voluntarily. Most came with some need of medical help or out of sheer desperation.

Hope

For a brief moment, Acadia hesitated. The reception to her divining magic was always different wherever she traveled, and here in Serendipity, elemental magic and life magic was much more appreciated, with divinity noted as more of a scam or child's play.

She didn't know how to explain the certainty and understanding she felt when she touched her cards. It wasn't as if they predicted the future; rather, they guided her by increasing her understanding of her choices.

She almost reached to pull another card just to see if she should answer the man's question, but she decided instead to answer him honestly, as he had answered her. "I came over because you seemed interesting. And my tarot cards advised that we might work together. The road is long, and I want to travel with and learn from someone. I received some medical training in my youth and I'd like to learn more of it. So would you be interested in an apprentice?"

Storm

Malki tilted his head a bit curious "tarot cards, I see, so that is what those are. I have heard little of them and seen few carry them. Interesting." He said leaning back taking another drink to think it over.

He was by no means qualified to teach, although a traveling companion for a while might be enjoyable for a bit. This was an interesting time in this place. He could do with a bit of excitement outside the boring travel life he has had since he left his formal partner up north to do his own thing.

"I am not a good teacher of my own arts, but I can show you things if you wish. In exchange tell me more about your cards on our journey. I know of different magic users and how they work but this is something I have not explored in seeing firsthand" He said "We can call it an exchange in skills, even if we can not preform the skills the other teaches or shows there is room for knowledge and appreciation and understand rather than fear of an object or lifestyle."

Hope

"I'd appreciate that," Acadia replied, herself interested in learning more about other cultures. "Whereabouts are you planning to travel?"

Storm

Leaning back he grinned a bit "If we are traveling" he said thoughtfully "I am Malki. The Blackblade, the wandering medic."

"As for traveling where, I was thinking about making my way down to the river lands of Serendipity, there are fresh herbs that grow there that I should replenish soon. That and it is a bit more friendly than around here. From there who knows? and from here who knows. The path is never straight. Is there anyplace you wish to go?"

Hope

"I'll go wherever you go, Malki Blackblade," Acadia responded. "I'm Acadia Durast. I carry no title, but I'm a child of the snow and a citizen of the world."

They sat and made small talk for a while longer, but then Acadia reached into her pocket and pulled out a single leaf. "You seem well versed in herbology. I was wondering, do you recognize this?"

The leaf was small, fitting perfectly into Acadia's palm, and a violent shade of purple. Its edges were jagged, and a strange, albeit somewhat pleasant, scent seemed to come off of it.

Storm

"Snow eh? You would work well with my partner. He is born of ice." He muttered to himself.

Reaching over to take the leaf "where did you find this?" he asked looking up at her "I have not seen this in years, although I do not much use of it save its sent and a bit of flavor. Although the smell is off."

Rubbing the leaf delicately in his fingers frowned. It looked much like a leaf of rose baisle or even oregano but something felt different.

Hope

"I... I'm not quite sure," Acadia replied. All she knew about the leaf was that she had had it her whole life. It was the only constant in her travels. She assumed she got the leaf before the travelers had found her and taken her in, and she assumed they had left it with her for a reason. She believed the leaf might have some sort of power, but knowing as little as she did about her past, she wasn't able to say anything more.

Storm

"That is understandable" He said handing it back "It is not quite right either way. Could be born of magic, or used in a spell or ritual. It is not what it seams that's for sure. I do not think it is what it was originally."

Shrugging a bit he smiled softly "Who knows. in this world nothing is ever easy is it?"

Hope

"I suppose not," Acadia agreed, though she felt a sort of melancholy settle over her. Nothing was ever easy, was it? She didn't think she'd encountered anything easy in her life. But somehow, sitting here and talking over it, she felt better. There was a sort of ease to Malki that she enjoyed; she felt comfortable around him, and at peace.

Storm

Shrugging Malki stretched his arms over his head "Did you have a place to stay the night? My plan was to leave in the morning, and any more talk here is a bit too public"

Hope

"There is a campground nearby I like to camp at," Acadia told him. "Shall we meet in the morning?"

Storm

Malki nodded "If I remember correctly that is just north of town correct?" getting up and grabbing his empty mug to take to the bar. Yawning a bit he started to walk over to pay and leave.

Hope

Acadia went back to her table, leaving coin enough for the cost of her drink and tipping, then left the tavern. It had been an interesting meeting, and she wanted to wake up early tomorrow. She headed back to her campsite.

The next morning dawned bright and early for her, with mist still dampening her campsite.

Storm

Malki quickly repacked his bag before heading out to the campsite. Stopping on his way to pick up some food supplies and dried herbs he needed to get. Tightening his sword belt he readjusted his bracers and slipped on his gloves as he entered into camp. Pulling up his hood he made his way over to the communal fire and took a seat to wait.

Hope

Acadia found Malki sitting by the campfire. She offered him some of the food she had cooking up, then sat next to him to watch the sunrise. "It's lovely, isn't it? The way the sun always comes up and lightens the day, even when it's all covered up by clouds?"