Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What Happened to Gordeer?

Started by visualspice, May 05, 2020, 03:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags to @Ravenbraid

It was foolish, but it wasn't her fault. How could it be? No one would dare blame, or even consider, reprimanding the Shah- no matter how young and naive she was. Truthfully, she was bored that afternoon, and though not entirely fond of snakes, there was a sense of wonder upon the famed and massive temple snake she's come to call 'pet'. 

The snake was a gift unto her since child birth, but because in her youth, she was afraid of the snake, it was sent away to live most of it's life at the Temple of Skies; a pyramidal shaped building to the west, just outside of the capital, but still assumed part as such.

It was an open and grand temple, to be sure, and had many priests and priestesses around to keep the snake in check. But as time went on, the snake grew larger and larger, so much infact only a few of the boldest priests and priestesses could handle him.

He had come to be known as Gordeer , a half slang term brandish by an Adelan. It's a crude way of saying a 'friend enemy'. For that's what most snakes such as Gordeer were seen as- a friend to the people, but also a foe. Lest anyone forget about the last snake that had come along and had grown such a size as Gordeer's. That unfortunate son to a Shah of the past fell none to quickly and was said to be eaten alive, rescued half way down the snake's belly, but died the day after having been retrieved.

Gordeer, many laugh, is too fat and lazy for such things. The snake has grown accustomed to his caretakers and eats well from them, and tends to enjoy curling up on the Sky Temple tree that grows  in the temple's center- for this pyramid is far from a closed structure, and has become a man made oasis of sorts, with perfectly structured sides that allow for star gazing and studies.

As Persea grew older, she was coerced into making face with Gordeer, as the snake did represent relations in the South. Never the less, she was always tense around the serpent, ever watchful during her visits and kept them limited only to necessity. But even then, a fondness and respect grew of the relation; though that was as far as it went. Aside from the occasional bold curiosity from the blooming young Shah, such as on that particular morning when Persea Ah'nikh was spending time at the Sky Temple and making her rounds as the priests always contended to gain her favor.

But these such callings tended to be boring, and she- barely older than a child in spirit, grew bored and demanded in the middle of their meeting, that Gordeer join them. She had been watching the snake twist lethargically around the tree then go to sleep, internally jealous of it's freedom. She could be napping if she wanted to. If only she commanded it.

She stifled a yawn as the men left to retrieve the snake, of which impressed her to see at least four men carrying him. But she frowned to see the snake in chains. Once questioned, they told the Shah the snake would be too close to the Temple's exit, and they did not wish for him to escape. Irritated and poking around for mere childish attention, she commanded they release the poor snake from it's chains- Could they not see that Gordeer was content? The snake was a slow mover, so even if he wanted to slither out, surely there were enough of them present to prohibit such a thing.

But one thing lead to another, and somehow the Shah found herself alone with Gordeer, having sent the priests, all of them, on a mission of ill importance, She couldn't even remember what it was she asked all of them to retrieve, but it got her a moment alone- even from the men watching her. Although, as she found herself as such, her eyes turned towards the snake.

It simply lay there, barely moving and flicking out it's tongue.

"You seem bored, Gordeer." she went on, yawning lightly and moving to sit upon a chair.

She couldn't remember how long she had been out, but a gentle shake roused her and she nearly slapped the priest's face.

"Your highness.... are you okay?"

Her face twisted as she groggily sat up, seeing such a commotion around her she was quick to ask, "Why have you awaken me? What is going on?"

By now, even she could sense the fear among them and shivered, wrapping her arms around herself as a slave came forward to place a delicate silk blanket over her arms.

"It is the snake, the one of this Temple," the man went on, hesitant on how to phrase it as such.

"Yes...?" came her very slow, irritated reply.

"He is gone."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ravenbraid

Getting to the capital had been easy enough for Ragya. She'd caught a ride with one of the many caravans that traversed the Moraki desert, going between towns, oases, and nomadic settlements and bringing trade. Trying to make her way through the massive city was another story. They had entered the city through an eastern gate before Ragya departed from the caravan, which left her to navigate through numerous neighborhoods and markets before she could reach the Temple of Sky near the city's center.

While her sister Yeonbi was not technically a priest, as a member of the Hand of God she was still part of the church, and could therefore ask the temple for shelter during her stay in the capital. The Hand always kept an eye on the capital, a place so full of people that djinn could easily hide among them, but by that same token it was much harder for the Hand to eliminate a djinn without causing a public panic. If people were going to "disappear" it had to be done quietly.

The streets were thick with people but she wove around them like a fish swimming downstream. To move through a crowd yet remain indistinguishable amongst it had been part of her training in the Hand. Eventually she was able to make her way into the city's heart and reach the Temple of Sky. As she made her way to the base steps of the pyramid, she found herself surrounded by pilgrims and priests alike making their way and and down the hundreds of steps that had been built into the sides of the temple. With the clergy, however, she noticed a certain nervousness about them. Busy preparing for the festival, she guessed.

She picked out a priestess who didn't look like she was heading anywhere urgently and approached her with a calm smile.

"Hakeshna's wings shade you from sun, sister. Can you tell me who I need to speak to about lodgings?" She watched the woman's demeanor change to that of a merchant servicing a customer.

" I'm not sure if the Temple has space for any more pilgrims, miss. So many have come for the Summer Festival. There are communal buildings for travelers like yourself located near the south side of the pyramid, and the city has are a number of inns you might find room at..." The priestess had expected to be met with disappointment or possibly outrage, knowing how some people were, but the even demeanor of the woman before remained the same.

"I'm apologize sister, but I require somewhere with privacy."

The priestess opened her mouth to speak again, but she silently raised a hand to stop the priestess, reached under the collar of her tunic, and revealed an eagle-shaped amulet that hung around her neck. The necklace marked her as a member of the Hand, a servant of Hakeshna, a djinn hunter. Perhaps it was because she was still wearing Ragya's clothes and looked like a dusty pilgrim rather than a fellow clergywoman. Yeonbi could see the gears start turning as the priestess realised exactly why she had been called "sister," and who exactly she had been talking to. 

"I will see what space we have available in the temple, sister. This way," the priestess replied with a curt half-bow before gesturing for Yeonbi to follow her. She was led inside the pyramid and asked to wait while the priestess consulted with her higher ups about finding available room for the djinn hunter. Since she was no longer standing in the late afternoon sun, Yeonbi removed Ragya's dark scarf from her head as well as the half-mask that hid her face from the bridge of her nose down. While she waited she could hear people making conversation and whispering around her, stone hallways carried sound surprisingly well.

She caught mostly snippets of discussions about temple preparations for the upcoming festival, a murmur or two of "the Hand," and concerned whispers about a snake? She took a cursory glance around and noticed one of the higher ranked priestesses- wait is was that a crown? The gears started turning in her own head as Yeonbi realised she was looking at the Shah herself.  She quickly looked away, afraid to be caught staring, but watched carefully from the corner of her eye. It was then the priestess returned, respectfully half-bowing again before she spoke.

" Apologies again, sister, but the Temple will not be able to ready a room for you until we find Gordeer."

The djinn hunter gave her a puzzled look. Friend-enemy? She had picked up some Adelan during her travels and was surprised to hear it in the Temple of all places.

" Gordeer?"

" The Shah's snake, the one who lives here in the Temple. He was gone missing..." she replied nervously.

"Ah... I may be able to assist with that."

visualspice

The woman's face lit at the suggestion.
"You can?"
But then her brow knit as she looked from her towards the room, back to Ragya again.
"How is it that you may help?" It wasn't that she was skeptical,... It just seemed as if the people working at the temple wanted to keep this situation contained. In fact, her voice had been kept low as she stepped closer to Ragya.

"We.. do not wish to alarm the good people, nor have our great Shah be fit with worry." She studied the woman curiously now. "Is it... that you have knowledge or.. magics that can track a snake?"
Hakeshna's wish would be granted if such a woman showed up now!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ravenbraid

At the mention of magics, her first thoughts were of the Eye and how blasphemous it would be if she used it the Temple of Sky. She cast a fleeting glance in the Shah's direction. Using djinn magic, in the Temple of Sky, infront of the Shah herself. She could almost hear Vhitej in the back of her head laughing at the thought of it.  While it would certainly make the search a lot easier, Yeonbi was disinclined to use the tiger djinn's borrowed power for this endeavor.

She smiled warmly at the priestess, hoping to put her at ease.

"One of the first things we learn in the Hand is how to track. With the amount of sand that blows into the city, it's likely that Gordeer left some kind of trail when he left the Temple. All I need to do is find it."

visualspice

Persea kept her distance, and said nothing, merely studying the two from the corner of her eye- pretending to feign ignorance as she examined her nails as if they were the most interesting thing in the world and not that there was some massive snake that had escaped and might very well be out in the town, causing a panic.

Her people would clearly deal with this and fix the problem- for this was no longer in the Shah's hands.

The priestess that was speaking with Ragya smiled and sighed with some relief.
"So then you can help us." She peered over at the Shah and the gathering of priests and other servants of the Shah. She gestured for a priest to approach, and he raised a brow before doing so.

"Who is this, priestess Sanir?" the man asked.

"Priest Ahmeht, this woman is..." Sanir paused to blink as she grew sheepish. "This woman said she can help. She is a tracker, and might be able to find Gordeer for us. She has offered her services but I have yet to get her name."

Ahmeht studied the woman.
"You have a name, friend?"

Ravenbraid

" I am Yeonbi," she replies with a slight bow, " Priestess Sanir was just explaining to me... the situation with the temple's snake."   

She doubted Gordeer could have gone far. The snake was probably in a corner or under some furniture. She would have been more worried if the snake had gotten lose at night. Snakes sought out warmth once their environments cooled down, and she figured the last thing the Temple needed was some poor soul waking up to find a snake curled next to them in bed because it was seeking a warm place to sleep.

" If you could show me the last place your priests had Gordeer, I can start looking for a trail."