Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than A Name [Spice]

Started by DragonSong, January 04, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@visualspice

In, two, three; out, two, three...

Adelaide Alamoch daintily placed one foot in front of the other as she made her way carefully across the practice rope two of her fellow troupe members had erected just within view of the road. It wasn't anything like a highwire--maybe ten feet off the ground--but they'd still insisted on putting up the safety net before letting her up to work on her routine.

She hadn't been working at the tightrope long, but she'd thought it could be an interesting addition to her act. Maybe start on the wire, do some sort of prat fall, catch the trapeze on her way down...

"We need some music!" Carlotta, a middle aged woman who worked mainly with costuming but was seemingly putting her talents to set-pitching this bright, breezy day, called out suddenly from where she was helping three other people begin pitching the merchants' and single-patron talents' tents. At least, the ones whose owners were too busy spreading word in the nearby city to pitch themselves.

Adelaide smiled even as she rose up onto her toe and spun to face the opposite direction from the center of the rope. It trembled treacherously beneath her, but she refused to lose her step. Breathe. In, two, three, out, two, three...

"Where's the fae lad when you need him?" Snake called back in mild agreement from where he was busy juggling half a dozen blades--not juggling literally, though Adelaide had certainly seen him do that more than once, not even always as part of the show. He seemed to be helping their old smith, Reth, move his stores.

"I do believe he's rehearsing," she called down from her perch, delciately placing  one foot down in front of the other. She paused, then lifted her leg into a swift, graceful arabesque before letting gravity take her--just for a moment--and falling sideways just far enough to catch herself with the crook of her left knee around the rope.

"Rehearsing," Carlotta scoffed. "I swear, the way he and Elea carry on, it's a miracle they have anything to perform."

A round of raucous but not mean-spirited laughter followed her quip. Even Adelaide found herself chuckling a bit, despite the blush that lit her cheeks at the innuendo.

"Speaking of rehearsals," Snake drawled, with such a telegraphed glance upward that Adelaide had absolutely no hope of missing it. "I thought you were on leave for the next two days."

She crinkled her nose at him upside down. "Maybe I like spending my leave right here," she pointed out mildly.

The contortionist gave her a very dry look, even as she started to curl herself back up to grip her rope and lay herself out flat on her back. "We don't have a real show until the full moon--Uthlyn is barely an hour's walk! You could go see the city you know, instead of insisting on spending every waking hour here."

"I like it here," she protested.

"We are at least taking you out for the night come your birthday next week!" one of the younger seamstresses who worked under Carlotta threatened cheerfully.

Adelaide rolled her eyes and turned her head to say that she didn't need anyone taking her out for any reason, and anyway, just what was everyone so suddenly interested in her social life outside carnival grounds for, when a sudden glint from Snake's direction caught her attention. It was just a flicker, really, like light off metal at an odd angle--but it came with that tingle up the back of her neck that sometimes accompanied her Sight.

It startled her enough that she turned toward it automatically, trying to find the source. One of the blades he was carrying...a knife? What--what was that? And aura, but not fae, not demonic, not even divine, it was...

She'd moved too fast. Without her mask, the danger of her Sight and her profession collided abruptly, and she found herself tumbling down toward the earth.

Despite the presence of her safety net--which bounced her jarringly twice before she rolled off it to land less gracefully than usual on her feet--there were several gasps and at least one "Addie!" as she fell.

Thoroughly embarrassed, she immediately started waving off calls of concern, and the few carnival members who had started toward her. "Alright, I'm alright, I promise," she mumbled even as she wove around them. "Just a stupid mistake, I'm fine, sorry everyone... Snake."

The contortionist hadn't been one of their family who instantly started toward her, holding his place, but she felt the way his eyes flickered over her with concern with a strangely comforting familiarity. "You sure you're alright?" he murmured. "That looked like it bruised."

She waved him away with a smile, her own eyes searching the weaponry he still held. "It's fine, really."

Damnit. She swore she'd Seen something. Where was it? What was it?

visualspice

He'd noticed the ruckus as the entourage had settled in, but as he'd found out earlier,  Thomas Redington could not be heard nor seen. It had been traumatizing, to try to look call out to someone,  try to get their attention,  only for them to completely ignore him- and walk straight through his body.

The very action still made him shiver, for after many attempts to garner the attention of another, he began to depressingly accept his fate.  That he must have died and now...

He was a ghost.

He was still learning whatever strange laws bound him, apparently he had limited space he could roam, and daylight made him very sleepy.

But as he realized he has limitations on where he could go, he also realized some strange force seemed to be guiding him.. Whether it was faith or something else entirely, he wasn't sure.  But even as a ghost, he still prayed to Ansgar.

It was this strange pull that kept him mostly awake,  as the young man turned ghost remained perched beside a nearby stone wall. It was crumbling with age, and offered Thomas some shade from the sun, as a large, old apple tree sat just behind the wall.

From here, he had a good view of things, becoming mesmerized by the carnival's family jibbering, and by the unique display a young woman began to perform on a make shift tight rope.

When she began to fall, he lurched forward,  as if to try and catch her, but stumbled to a hault just outside the trees shade. He wasn't close enough to help her,  even if he hadn't been a ghost, and found himself stepping back into the comfort if the shade of the tree as he watched worriedly, anxiously waiting to ensure the young lady was okay.

It seemed she was alright, and the ghostly young man moved to lean back against the stone wall, quietly watching and not much else.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Maybe you should take a break," Snake was saying, and—without claiming that something he held had triggered her Sight, which seemed ever more foolish the longer she thought about it—there really wasn't much she could say to argue with that.

"Fine," she agreed with a sigh. "I'll call it a day for the rope."

"Go sit for a moment, lassie, gods' sakes," Reth barked as he strode passed her. "That was quite a tumble, even with the net."

Adelaide rolled her eyes, but she smiled at him and Snake both before admitting, "Maybe I should sit for a minute. I'll help Carlotta with the tents once I've had some water."

Snake nodded and she turned to slip through the familiar dance of bodies to gather up her water skin from where she'd left it at the base of one of the poles, then further still, away from the bustle a bit so she had a moment to think.

She sipped at her water, turning over what had happened in her mind. Maybe it really was just sunlight off metal. She didn't think so, but it was possible...

"Oh!" She drew up short, suddenly finding herself nearly tripping over a young man she didn't know resting shaded beneath a tree. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even see you there!" she stammered, blushing already.

visualspice

Blue eyes trailed the girl as she approached, giving her a crooked grin as he bashfully sat up a little straighter. He opened his mouth to say something,  to compliment her on her performance,  only to inwardly chide himself as he remembered his plight.

No one could see him.

But then she was getting suddenly closer, and distracted as he was, he decided he ought to move- but too late, as the young lady performer all but tripped over him and.. was apologizing. 

The young man blinked, taken a back as he looked around him to see who else was around. He saw no one, frowned,  and tilted his head as he observed the girl.

Naw.. there was no way..

Except.. could there be? She was unmistakably looking at him, and a sense of hope carried him to his feet.

"You.. you can see me?" He asked,  eyes very large. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"I--yes?" Adelaide laughed, a little nervously, and cocked her head at him. "You're not doing a particularly good job of hiding yourself..."

She trailed off, her eyes slowly growing wide. Because as she continued to look at him, he seemed...less there. Blurred around the edges, almost transparent in places.

Oh no.

She glanced up, fixing her gaze on a point just over his left shoulder, and... Yep. There. Out of the corner of her eye, there he was, much more solid than when she looked directly at him. With her Sight, that only meant one thing.

Ghost.

Except...well, except she'd never talked to one before! She could See spirits every once in a while, sure, but they were flickers, faint after-images. Mira said that was normal, that without proper summonings or rituals for the Seer, most benign spirits were too intangible to be seen for longer than a moment.

So did that mean...he wasn't benign?

But he was just a boy! A boy around her age, it seemed. She found herself caught between two impulses: to back away, or to linger. She hovered between the two, shifting from foot to foot. A sudden breeze cut over the low stone wall and she shivered--her rehearsal wear was not exactly up to Connlaothian standards, loose breeches cuffed high on the ankle, and a simple tunic barely cinched at the waist which bared most of her arms. She wasn't even wearing proper shoes, just bandaging wrapped around her feet. Ideal for flinging herself from the trapeze or dangling from ribbons, less so for the sudden wind on an otherwise cloudless day.

"How--" She licked her lips, then gestured helplessly at the spirit. "How long have you...?"

visualspice

His expression was a mixture of both worry and relief, while his face was quickly blossoming into the biggest of smiles.

"You.. you can see me! And hear me as well?"
He laughed so joyously at that.  But then when he saw her uncertainty, he put his hands out placatingly. 

But also noting her lack of normal attire as she shivered, he politely dropped his gaze so as not to stare. Still, he moved with anxious elation,  his smile unable to be erased from his lips.
"I.. I don't know, to be honest. I haven't kept track of the time. A few weeks? Months?"

Could the dead understand time? Did he have to even worry? He licked his lips before finally raising sheepish eyes upon her, his smile so genuine, so bright and pure.

"You have no idea how relieved I am. I thought I'd wander this path alone. And I've been so confused with so many questions that I.."

He stopped suddenly and made a face, and his sheepish expression returned,  and he raised his hands,  apologetically.
"I'm sorry.. I just got so excited. Forgive me for my presumptions, " he bowed apologetically.

"I.. I hope I have not scared nor offended thee."

DragonSong

"Oh..."

Adelaide bit her lip. She was still white-knuckling her water skin, but she didn't seem quite so wary of him now. Unless he was quite good at play acting—and she tended to be sharp-eyed when it came to that sort of thing—he was genuinely relieved to be seen.

That didn't strike her as something a malicious spirit would be.

Then he was apologizing to her, and she found herself giggling despite the bizarre situation. Offended thee? Really?

"I'm not offended," she assured with a small smile. She hesitated a moment longer, then slowly lowered herself to sit beside him, folding her legs into a butterfly and leaning forward over them. "If—if you don't mind me asking...what are you doing here?"

Because truthfully, she was fascinated. A ghost. A ghost who was speaking to her. She'd never thought she'd see the like.

visualspice

The ghosts eyes were so large and bright when she dared to come closer, and sit beside him! It was a relief he hadn't scared her off, and he wore his heart too well on his sleeve. 

He'd make a terrible poker player.

"In truth, I don't know. I'm just.. here, rather.. although I can't recall how or why. All I can recollect was that I was on my way to my class... and now I'm... I'm..."

DragonSong

Oh the poor thing.

Addie found her chest growing tight as he spoke, and without thinking she started to reach out as she might have with any of the carnival members, as though to touch his hand or give his shoulder a comforting pat.

She snatched her hand back a moment later, blushing at the slip both because it felt overly familiar, and because, well...

He didn't seem entirely solid.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. "That...must have been a shock."

She tilted her head at him, a few chunks of hair that had come loose from her braid when she fell swinging forward around her face. "What's your name? I'm Adelaide."

visualspice

A shock?
"Oh, it was. I don't even think I could begin to explain the whole of it all."

But he went sheepish when she tried to comfort him, and felt that. He truly did, for he could not touch the same.

But then she gave him her name and his eyes sparkled.
"Adelaide,  that's a beautiful name. " He inclined his head, eyes still to her's.  "My name is Thomas, Thomas Redington."

His smile was absolutely boyish, and dreamlike as he stared at her in awe.

Then he dropped his gaze, bashful.
"I apologize for staring, or.. or for talking too much it's just... this is incredible.  I've been feeling so isolated, so lonely and equally confused.  It seems, for whatever reason as a.. as.  Well.. as being this way has greatly limited where I can be and the locations haven't always been the same. This place is a new one.." he looked around them, as if digesting a large meal.

"But there I go again, " he laughed humbly. "But you... you're.. you're not like.. like me are you?" He frowned. Oh he hoped this sweet girl was not in a spot like he.

DragonSong

Adelaide listened earnestly as he spoke. Poor boy, truly, to have been cut off from—well, from life so abruptly.

She couldn't say she thought about death all that often, but when she did...she supposed she just couldn't imagine it being alone. Since Vis had found her, she'd been constantly surrounded by friends, family.

Imagining that kind of isolation...it didn't sit well with her.

She flushed a little when he apologized for staring, the color in her cheeks making her freckles stand out, but she couldn't exactly fault him. If she'd spent weeks unable to communicate with anyone, she likely would have stared too.

"Oh—no, no I'm not," she answered when he seemed suddenly distraught by the idea she might also be... Well. Laughing a little awkwardly, she added, "I mean, not to my knowledge. Unless that fall was quite a bit worse than I thought and I just haven't noticed."

She winced immediately. "Gods, I'm sorry. Bad joke." She looked down at her lap. "I think, um...I mean, I can...See things, sometimes. But I've never—with, y'know, people like—people who aren't here anymore, it's usually...little flashes. Glimpses. I've never...spoken with someone before."

visualspice

Thomas visibly paled. 
"Are you hurt? I'm sorry I hasn't asked sooner. I saw you tumble but then you talked to your friends and i presumed you were alright and I just-"

So many words abruptly ended as he released the rest of his words out as a sigh, instead. 
But he smiled,  wearily. 

"A joke.." 

And he chuckled softly to himself. 
"That too feels like it's been ages. I... wasn't even sure if I could laugh like this." The very explanation making him laugh again. 

DragonSong

"Oh no, no, I'm not hurt!" She waved her hands a little helplessly, then spread her arms wide as though to prove it. She winced again. "Yeah. Bad joke..."

She was glad when he didn't seem too deterred by her attempt at humor—he was even laughing again, and the sound made her smile.

"I'm...glad you can," she offered quietly. "Laugh, I mean. Everyone deserves a laugh, a smile."

She gestured out to the spread of green that was slowly but surely becoming the carnival grounds. "That's why we do this, y'know. To...give people a moment of wonder." She paused, then laughed and shook her head, blushing once more. "Oh dear gods, I sound like my Da."

visualspice

Thomas smiled warmly.
"I was intrigued when I saw you all show up. So you are a family?" He inquired. 

DragonSong

She smiled again, looking at just that—her family, laughing and singing and teasing one another as they made their newest home.

"Of a sort." She shrugged and tipped her head back against the wall. "Most of us are...afterthoughts, I suppose. Orphans. Runaways. The unwanted, the lost. We...found each other."

She flushed and ducked her head. "That...sounds so silly, I'm sorry. Here I am going on, and you—" She cut herself off and cleared her throat. "Anyway. I've been here most of my life, so, yeah. They're my family."

visualspice

Thomas thought over it while observing.
"So you're nomads?" He deduced, studying one of the persons pitching up a colorful tent.

DragonSong

She laughed and said again, "Of a sort. What, have you never seen a traveling carnival before?"

It occurred to her, abruptly, that he might not have. Vis, at least, tended to steer clear of Connlaoth—this was actually as deep into the country as they'd come in her memory—and she knew most shows like theirs tended to attract...well. Magic.

Even the showmanship kind tended to put Connlaothians on edge these days.

visualspice

It was more than obvious when realization set in.

"A carnival?" His features lit up. "No! Never! Oh wow.. truly?"

DragonSong

Adelaide found herself laughing again, but not at him. She was just...tickled.

"Yes, truly." Her eyes lit up and she suddenly sprang to her feet. "Come on! I'll show you around—I should be helping set up anyway, I can give you the tour while I do!"

visualspice

Thomas smiled and rose with her,  only to hesitate as he recalled his plight.
"Are.. are you sure that's wise?" He looked wantingly at her group.
"Would.. what I am not frighten them?"
Truthfully,  he himself would be startled to interact with a ghost.
"I mean.. what I am.. isn't normal.  I'm not.."