Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than A Name [Spice]

Started by DragonSong, January 04, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh." She drew her bottom lip between her teeth for a moment. "Well, errr..."

She sighed, then decided it was better to just say what she was thinking. Not even all her family knew of her Sight, but...it didn't make sense to hide it from a person it directly affected. "I sort of assume...I mean, if no one else has seen you in weeks, maybe...I'm the only one who can?" She tugged on her braid nervously and scuffed her feet. "I, um. I See things. Not just—I mean I See things. It's not magic, exactly," she hastened to add, abruptly remembering where they were. "It's more like...an extra awareness."

She tried for a soft smile in his direction. "But if they can see you...well, like I said. We're all misfits here. You'd fit right in." She tilted her head and took one step back, though she kept her eyes on him as she did, one hand half outstretched in invitation.

visualspice

Her reply was sobering.
"Oh," he tried to digest this idea, visibly wilting. Another reminder of what he'd become.
But when she offered out her hand, a gesture he couldn't complete in kind, he smiled a little and moved as if to take her hand,  but when his gently slipped through her's,  he visibly shivered, and withdrew suddenly, but looked sheepishly away.
"Right... well, I guess it couldn't hurt "
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Her face fell a bit when his hand moved through hers, and she tried but couldn't quite manage to completely hide a shiver.

It was...cold. And tingly.

"Come on." She let her eyes pass over the closest group pitching set and then nodded firmly to herself. "Snake first," she decided.

The sword swallower knew about her Sight. Maybe he'd have some idea of what to do next.

With a quick glance over her shoulder to make sure Thomas was with her, Adelaide slipped easily through the ebb and flow of performers, costumers, artists and merchants all shouting and setting up tents to find the contortionist.

He was tall enough that he was easy to spot, having moved on from helping Reth to assisting with the support poles for the carnival's main tent.

"Snake!" she called, waving. He glanced over at her, red-gold eyes flaring as he tipped his head just a bit too far to the side in that way he did when he was confused. Adelaide hovered ar the edge of the ring that was marked out for the tent and beckoned him over, mouthing, I need to talk to you.

She shot another quick smile at Thomas as her friend began moving toward them. "I know he looks grumpy, but he's really a sweetheart, promise."

visualspice

Even in his state, Thomas hesitated as they approached. Although there was likely nothing to fear, old habits were hard to kill.

He exchanged a look with Adelaide before cautiously stepping forward,  his eyes a wonder to the creative world becoming assembled all around them. 

"I see. Looks can be deceiving, " he agreed, following after, if even a bit cautious. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"What's the matter, freckles?"

Adelaide blushed for the nickname and glowered at Snake briefly before replying, "Nothing's wrong, just..."

She glanced sidelong at Thomas, then back to Snake. "I, umm... We have a guest?"

Snake glanced where she was, brow furrowed. "Addie, what're you—?"

His eyes widened, sorted pupils briefly going round in surprise. "Oh holy shit," he muttered. "You See someone?"

Addie nodded, relieved he'd gotten it so quickly. "His name is Thomas," she said quickly, then glanced at him again and beckoned. "Here, come stand next to me, so Snake knows where you are," she urged gently.

visualspice

Thomas hung back some at the exchange, shyly smiling when he was beckoned forth. He obeyed while asking, "Is he able to see me?" His eyes never left Snake. 

DragonSong

"I'm...not sure." She looked to Snake. "Can you...see anything?"

Snake was squinting at the space to her right. "I...maybe? It's like...a heat haze, sort of." He shook his head and looked back to her. "So. We playing host to another faerie? Or is this Thomas of yours something else?"

Adelaide winced. "It's...he's..."

Perhaps her face said more than her words. Or maybe it was just so spectacularly awkward that Nsake saw no other option. He waved a hand and said, "Never mind, not Fae then. If he's...something else, why come to me? Why not find Mira?"

Adelaide's eyes widened, then she rocked back in her heels and hissed quietly, "Fuck, I'm an idiot."

Snake chuckled . "Go on then, freckles. And don't lose your new friend on the way."

visualspice

Thomas held his breath, eyes uncertain,  but when Adelaide swore, it took him by surprise.  He looked between the pair,  a little uncertain. 
"Who's Mira?"

DragonSong

"Our resident medium," Adelaide responded, blushing once again. "I'm such an idiot, of course I should've brought you to her first. Thanks." She threw her arms around Snake in a quick hug, which he returned by ruffling her hair, then she beckoned once again for Thomas to follow as she flowed back through the crowd and the tents.

"This way! She usually sets up at the edge of the grounds. She'll know what to do, I'm sure—and you can meet the others, and—"

She cut herself off, realizing she was getting overexcited, and cleared her throat. She moved through the crowd of performers easily, unthinkingly—it didn't occur to her that, as they couldn't see him, the rest of the carnival may not be as adept at avoiding Thomas as she was at avoiding them.

visualspice

There was a lot of hustle and bustle, so many unique things to see, and although invincible and invisible (or rather, immune to physics and touch in general), Thomas still found himself avoiding the hub bub of people as if he were still solid mass. 

At one point, it had him lingering behind, and Thomas was beginning to lose sight of Adelaide when he made his way through a precarious section of equipment to have a pair of men hauling a beam walk clean through him. 

Nothing happened,  of course, but Thomas stood there, paler for it. 

He made haste to Adelaide's side, sighing wearily.
"I'm still not used to that."

DragonSong

It took Adelaide a moment to realize he was lagging. But the time she did, she was only just in time to turn and see Briar walk right through him, holding the back end of a beam.

She saw the way he blanched and winced, but made herself wait for him to reach her so she didn't go running anxiously to check on what most people saw as a patch of hazy air.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. "But we're almost there—"

"And just where is it that you are almost, dearest?"

Adelaide yelped and whirled to face the Ringmaster himself, who seemed to have simply appeared from thin air, for all intents and purposes. He did that sometimes, but she'd never get used to it.he was "dressed down" by his standards, in simple enough but finely made shirt and breeches, with only three rings, a set of bangles, and a pair of silver droplets in his ears. But Vis was an eye catching sort of personage no matter what he wore.

"Da!" she exclaimed, simply staring at him as her mind tried to catch up with the moment. "We—I was—"

"And just who is this?" The demidemon flicked his eyes over Thomas—over him, lingering on his face. Seeing him. He smiled crookedly, showing a flash of curved, sharp fangs. "Should I be worried, Addie my dear?"

visualspice

When Vis's eyes actually caught sight of him, Thomas froze.  There was something unnatural about the man that even made the mostly dead sort to hesitate.  He was almost too afraid to cast his eyes away, but was quick to remember his manners. 

"I am Thomas Redington, sir," he stated with a respectful bow. "And I apologize if my presence has caused an alarm. I was merely curious about the carnival and that.." he blushed,  sheepishly. "That Adelaide could see and hear me." But then he paused to realize...

"That is to say," he added with haste. "I apologize if I've presumed the same of you. It's just that you seemed to have seen me and ..."
Oh boy, he needed to stop his nervous rambling. 

He looked over at Adelaide,  for help.

DragonSong

Viserian tipped his head back and laughed, loud and carefree. Addie ducked her head, blushing furiously as several of the nearby Cirque members glanced their way.

"Da," she complained, but he just waved her off.

"Yes, I can see you, Thomas Redngton." He dipped his head politely, like a king acknowledging a lesser lord of some sort. "I'd offer to shake your hand, but I doubt that sort of thing goes well for you these days, hm?"

"Da!" Addie protested, wide-eyed. That seemed insensitive to her!

"Oh, pish, it's not as though he doesn't know he's been...shall we say, spirited," he father responded blandly. "I assume the two of you were wanting to see Mira about the whole situation?"

visualspice

Thomas sighed with relief, and turned to Adelaide before nodding. 
"Yes... I've only most recently became.. well.. this, " he went on, gesturing at his form. "Adelaide has offered to show me around I... I have never seen a carnival before. And well,  maybe this Mira can see and hear me as well?"

DragonSong

"Oh, I'm sure she could." Viserian gave him a suddenly soft, apologetic sort of look. "Unfortunately, our dear Ifamira is unavailable at the moment."

Addie started. "What? She is? What happened?"

The Ringmaster held up a hand to quell her sudden nervousness. "She's quite well, my dearest, I assure you. She merely had a...personal matter to attend to. She left early this morning, before we began pitching set on the grounds. She's not due back for another week, at least."

Adelaide visibly deflated. Sighing, she glanced to Thomas and murmured, "I'm sorry, I didn't--I really thought she might have some answers..."

Viserian stepped forward and shucked her gently under the chin, forcing her to lift her head. "She still might," he said with a quick smile in Thomas's direction. "You will just have to be patient, little whisp."

She nodded, still looking a little dejected. She felt as though she'd raised their new acquaintance's hopes for nothing.

"In the meantime!" Viserian stepped back and clapped his hands briskly, giving them both a bright, fang-tipped grin. "You said my daughter had promised you a tour, yes, Ser Redington? There is still much to see in our modest little show, you know."

visualspice

Thomas was crestfallen; his blue eyes large and sad. But of course. It did not mean he would never get answers, just he would have to continue to wait.  He'd be lieing if he didn't admit he was anxious. But he waited this long...
And he was happy he could atleast communicate with someone. 

"Thank you. You are both too kind. I'm just relieved I'm no longer by myself. Truthfully,  I wasn't sure what to even do with myself after I became this way. But.. " His smile returned. "A tour of the circus sounds wonderful. "

DragonSong

"Oh, I've been accused of being many things, lad, but too kind is rarely one of them," Viserian laughed. He gestured back over their shoulders and urged, "Go on then, go explore. Adelaide here has chores she should be getting on with anyway, she can show you about while she does."

Addie dipped her head. "Of course, Da."

"Chin up, little whisp." Her father leaned down to kiss the top of her head as he strode between girl and ghost. "I'll let you know the moment Mira is back, I promise. And good luck to you, Ser Redington. Be seeing you." He winked, and reached out to pat Thomas's shoulder as he passed.

And for just the barest fraction of a breath, his hand connected.

He didn't even seem to notice, already sweeping away into the bustle and chattering of the crowd.

Adelaide, who'd been blocked from view, gave Thomas her best go at a normal smile and nodded back toward the throng of tents. "Shall we?"

visualspice

He must have been too distracted to notice the subtle, tangible touch. But nodded as Adelaide motioned for him to follow.

"So is that your father?" He asked,  peering back towards the ring master's disappearing form.

DragonSong

"Oh, yeah." She blushed a bit and crinkled her nose around a smile. "I know, I know. Ringmaster's daughter and all that, most folks assume I always know what he's planning, but..." She shrugged and spread her hands wide. "Vis has a way of surprising us, every time we set up show in a new place. There's always something new for him."

visualspice

Thomas nodded thoughtfully. 
He studied her a moment before asking, "How often do you travel? And how often do you perform?"