Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than A Name [Spice]

Started by DragonSong, January 04, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Addie was listless the rest of the day. Her father let her cry herself out that morning, and told her she could take some time to herself if she needed it.

She didn't know what to do with herself. The night before, everything had just felt so wonderful—how could it be so awful now?

Eventually, she found herself back under the tree at the edge of the fairgrounds, where she had first met Thomas. She didn't make a conscious decision to go there, but rather simply looked up and realized that's where her feet had taken her.

With a sigh, she sat against the trunk and let her head fall back.

Was this it? Was he gone? Forever, this time? She didn't think she could bear it.

visualspice

As the sun died off, it bathed the world in a glow of reds. The entire world around her was blanketed in that color.. only a more appropriate color might be purple or blue. For there was an air of melancholy throughout the whole field that seemed to well up upon the hill beneath that tree...
And it even sounded as though the tree were sobbing..

But in truth- if one were to catch it and the light just right.they would see the tears of a young ghost sobbing in the shadowy darkness within the tall grass and roots of the tree.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Adelaide has actually started to doze off against the tree--she wouldn't have thought it was possible, she felt too miserable for sleep. But it seemed frequent bursts of inconsolable sobbing actually took quite a lot of energy, and as the light began to fade, she faded with it.

Except... There was a moment when she thought she heard something. Faint, but definitely there.

She sat up a little straighter, sniffing and wiping at her eyes. "H-Hello? Is...anyone there?"

visualspice

The noise was still there. It was muffled.. seeming distant yet somehow also.. close.

And if she were to strain and listen...
She might just have heard her name from the shadows on the other side of the tree...

And if she were to seek it- a form would flitter in and out of existence through the rippling dance of light rhay broke through the tree.

But in the shadow? The shadows his form was bolder.. more obvious and as the winds settled she would see....

Thomas's form sobbing beneath the tree.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Adelaide squinted at the flickering form in the shadows. Her Sight could be tricky, and sometimes she thought she Saw something when the explanation was truly mundane, but this seemed...

Oh gods. She almost didn't want to hope. It would be worse if she made herself believe he might actually come back and he didn't, but--but...

"Th-Thomas?" she whispered, cautiously moving just a single step closer. "Is that...are you here?"

visualspice

At his name, his form rose suddenly, teary eyes meeting to hers. But a sudden rise in wind scattered his form into a thousand pieces and his reply was taken away.

And the winds grew so intense that the light spilled through the branches in a triumphant display of the dying day- rattling and scattering the shadows . The winds only intensified , the image all but erased.

And then..

The winds suddenly with drew...
Andthe shadows fell back into place like the drapes drawing closed on a stage.

And he was there.
He was there.

There was no mistaking it now, as the shadows clothed him...
Thomas stood as she had seen him so many times before...
In that ghostly translucent glow standing , hid form braced against the tree in the dark.

DragonSong

"Thomas!"

She spun as the wind and the light seemed to scatter him apart, searching desperately. But then he was there! he was back, he was--

A shadow. A ghost.

She pressed her hands to her mouth, a new wave of tears spilling down her cheeks. Gods, she didn't know how a body could have so many tears. "Oh...Thomas..."

She reached out to him with a sob, knowing it wouldn't work but still desperately longing to touch him.

visualspice

His tears looked real.

Because they were.

His sadness looked real.

Because he felt it.

His words were true, as he spoke it.

"Gods.. Adelaide... "

"I've missed you."

And he moved to embrace her- but all she would feel were the shadows and the wind as it picked up and scattered what image was left of him away. 

DragonSong

"No, no, no." She turned in place, searching the slowly lengthening shadows for his shape. "Please, no, please, come back..."

She gasped out a sob and sank down onto her knees, looking around helplessly. "Please come back, I--I miss you so much..."

visualspice

And after a few minutes of her sobbing, clouds rolled over the setting sun...
And as the darkness draped over her...

He was there.

DragonSong

"Thomas..." She just stared at him, tear tracks burned onto her cheeks. "Gods, are you--are you okay?"

visualspice

His own tears streamed down his face- although translucent, it was very real.

"No.. no I'm not okay," he croaked, lips trembling. "But I am here."

DragonSong

"Oh, Thomas." She reached for him, and her fingers passed through his cheek. She choked on a new sob and drew her hand back into her chest. "I--what happened? I woke up and...you were just gone."

visualspice

He couldn't stop the streams of tears that rolled down his face. He went to reach for her in kind.. but grimaced and held back. 

"I.. I don't know... i... it was like before... there was nothing.. and then like waking from a dream... I'm here..." he trembled. "Like this .. "
He closed his eyes, tears streaming. "Again."

DragonSong

Gods, all she wanted was to reassure him, to tell him it was okay but she couldn't and it was killing her.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, hands fluttering uselessly as she wanted to reach for him but knew it would only make things worse. "Gods, Thomas, I--I'm so sorry...I th-thought...I really thought..."

She sniffled, a fresh wave of tears swamping over her. "I just wish I could hold you."

visualspice

And at her words, he got to one knee and buried his face into his hands..

And sobbed.

DragonSong

"Oh no, no no no no no." She dropped down in front of him, reached out as thought to hug him, remembered, and quickly drew her hands back.

"I'm sorry," she gasped, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I--I wasn't thinking..."

Her breath was coming in that sharp, jagged way it did when one had nearly cried themselves out. "I'm so sorry, Thomas," she whispered, whimpered. "I shouldn't--we never should have..."

Oh gods, she hadn't thought it possible to feel worse than she already did. She'd been wrong.

visualspice

"No.." he sobbed.  "No.." he sobbed again, shaking his head and finally lifting his eyes to look at her. His eyes glittered with fresh tears. He reached out, stroking at her face longingly. But of course, all he touched was air.

"Even if it was just for a day... I'm glad we got to share that moment .. if but once."

DragonSong

She reached up to hover her hand just above his, longing to press his touch to her cheek.

"There...there has to be a reason," she rasped, blinking away new tears. "If—if it happened once, surely it could happen again? W-we could make it happen..."

Slowly, she reached out with her other hand and let it hover in the air just a hair's breadth from his cheek.

visualspice

His smile was like a sad sonnet, and his lips trembled, eyes threatening with a fresh batch of tears.

"I.. I'm just thankful I can see you again. I thought..."

Well everything he 'faded' away, he felt as if he'd never return that that was the end.

But why wasn't he... dead? Why had he rematerialized? Was he truly some sort of ghost? Or.. was there something more sinister about his strange inability to truly return as a human?