Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than A Name [Spice]

Started by DragonSong, January 04, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh, Thomas." Adelaide stared at him mournfully. "I..."

There were only so many times she could say she was sorry. She didn't know what else to do.

"Where do they live?" she asked softly.

Maybe they would know something—at the very least, they deserved to know what had...that he was...

visualspice

It took him far longer to compose himself than he expected, but eventually he spoke again. 

"I was raised by my grandmother... Ansgar's name.. I can't.. she.."

Was she okay? Had someone gone after her?

"We lived in a small village. We weren't poor but rented out a small duplex on the nicer side of the town. Wihssun. It .. it was a few hours north of Uthlyn."

He frowned and looked and Adelaide with pleading eyes.

"Adelaide.. is.. is there anyway we can try and reach her?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Of course." Her hands fluttered as she started to reach for him yet again, then had to stop herself. "Oh, Thomas, of course we can. I—I'll make sure we can."

She glanced back toward the array of tents that darted the carnival grounds. "We should talk to Da. Oh!" She looked back at him quickly. "Da! He doesn't know you're—" she stumbled over the word "okay" and settled for, "You're back."

visualspice

He made a face over her choice of words..
Then realized why.

"I.. I didn't mean to worry so many.. I.."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Adelaide smiled softly at him and nodded slowly. "You have friends here, Thomas," she told him quietly, almost reassuring. "More than me. Even if—even if they can't see you, they know you're here."

visualspice

He smiled, but the sadness was hard to hide.

"We should go. He'll want to know. And maybe you can update me on if I missed anything important with the circus."

DragonSong

"...Of course." Adelaide tried for a smile of her own, but was afraid she didn't quite manage it. She nodded down the hill and gestured for him to follow her before taking a few cautious steps.

"Honestly, I... I don't have much news," she murmured after a moment. "Da let me skip out on work today. I was..." She swallowed and glanced away. "I thought you were--you were gone, and I...wasn't handling it well."

visualspice

Thomas stopped following her abruptly and reached for her hand, only for it to pass right through her wrist.

"Adelaide!" He couldn't believe she.. she was just brushing it off like it were nothing. 

DragonSong

She stopped and turned to face him, eyes wide. "What's wrong?"

Well. Aside from the obvious, she supposed.

visualspice

He wished he could touch her. Pain filled his eyes as he reached out to cup her face- a ghost of an action. 

"Adelaide... I'm sorry.. for what it's worth I'm sorry. I had no idea any of this could hsppen." He looked more deeply into her eyes, imploring. "If I could have stayed that way, I'd never let you go."

DragonSong

"...I know."

She tried for a smile and thought she managed something close, if a little shaky. "You don't have to apologize, Thomas," she murmured. "Last night--"

Her throat tightened a bit and she swallowed, flicking her eyes away for a moment before looking back to him. "Last night was probably the best night of my life."

Even if that morning had been one of the worst.

visualspice

At that reveal, he smiled. Through tears he smiles anyway.  

"Adelaide.." he said, a hand moving out, touching over her hand. "Please.. do not keep things from me. I care for you.. truly and deeply." His eyes sought hers, and if he could squeeze her hand he would.

"Lets to talk with your Father. Surely someone can help."

DragonSong

"I wasn't," Addie protested quickly. "I mean, I wasn't trying to keep anything from you, it...I just..."

She trailed off, looking down at where his hand hovered over hers. Biting her lip to keep it from quivering, she shook her head quickly. "Right. Let's go find Da."

visualspice

He nodded, his hand going through the motion of squeezing her hand.

"You don't need to explain. I understand."

And he moved with her towards the tent. And he felt anxious.. uncertain...

Could anyone truly help? His situation  was so strange. But he had to be optimistic. He got solid once before.. clearly it meant he could do it again.

DragonSong

Addie glanced down at where his hand was almost-but-not-quite touching hers, and her chest constricted painfully. She tried to force it away and hurried along with him back to their tent.

"Da?" She stuck her head inside, but didn't see any sign of the Ringmaster. She looked back to Thomas and beckoned for him to follow her inside. "C'mon. He should be back soon, we can...wait inside."

visualspice

Thomas silently followed. His mind was in a jumble of thoughts. The very real thought that he could come back.. take on a physical form lifted his hopes but... what did it all mean?

If he were a ghost... truly dead and just a spirit.. would his spirit not be able to return to his body in this way?

There were far too many questions and little answers. For who would rightly know? This seemed a fluke... a phenomenon. He'd never heard of legends or stories of people becoming ghosts that returned to themselves.

He wondered if something fouler was at play. 

He looked to Adelaide, who fretted openly and he moved to her side.

"I am sorry, Adelaide. I hadn't meant to hurt you over all of this. But I meant every word of how I feel for you."

DragonSong

"Oh!" Adelaide blinked at him, momentarily startled by the apology. Her face softened and she reached out, hesitated, then committed to the gesture and let her hand hover just above his cheek. A ghost of touch.

"Don't apologize," she whispered, trying to smile. "Thomas, none of this is your fault. And--" She swallowed. "I...meant what I said, too. We'll figure this out, I promise."

She couldn't allow herself to think that they wouldn't.

visualspice

Thomas smiled. He had to hope. They had to hope. It couldn't have been just a fluke that he returned to flesh...

Had something triggered it? Was something pulling him back to life? He turned to Adelaide suddenly and asked, grabbing her if he could.

"Kiss me... or.. try to kiss me. Please."
Those blue eyes were imploring. 

Maybe.. maybe she was his key.

DragonSong

"Thomas..." Her throat went tight and her eyes began to well. She swallowed impulsively. "I--I don't..."

It would just hurt more. She knew it would, but...

Slowly, terrified, she reached up until her palms were hovering just a hair's breadth from his cheeks and leaned up onto her toes, bringing her mouth to his--or as close as she could manage in his current state.

visualspice

And as she suspected, she'd be kissing air. Thomas stood there, eyes haunted with tears.  He knew it was a silly attempt.. but..
Part of him had hoped , like a fairy tale, it would have broken this 'spell '.