Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

More Than A Name [Spice]

Started by DragonSong, January 04, 2023, 09:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Oh, depends." She waved a hand airily as she started weaving her way back through the paths that were slowly becoming more defined through the tents. "If we've got audiences, we stay as long as people keep coming. Then, when the flash wears off--it always does--we move on."

She hopped up onto a rock that had been too big to clear from the stretch of green between the big top slowly coming up and a few of the merchants' tents spread in an arc behind it. "I perform most nights, or sometimes I'll go out into town with some of the others and do a few tricks to get people interested in the show."

She spun on her toes to face the back of the fairgrounds, peering into the middle distance before nodding to herself and looking down at Thomas with a smile. "I should help the musicians get their rehearsal space set up...if we have time, I could...show you?" Her blush was back as she offered hesitantly, "My set, I mean."

visualspice

His eyes were wide with wonder as he took on the colorful carnival assembling before their very eyes. There's a few times he had to dodge a few workers and props,  more because he wanted to and habit than necessity.

Then she captured his full attention at the last offer as she hopped onto a tall rock with a dancer's grace. 

"I'd love to see you perform," he said, blushing as he peeree up at her. "What I saw out in the field was remarkable. But is it not dangerous? To be doing all those flips and things on the rope?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Well, that's what the net is for," Adelaide laughed brightly, leaping down from the rock and landing lightly in a dancer's pose before straightening herself out and starting off toward the musicians' tents. "I mean, there are performers who don't use one, and for my easier sets Da usually lets me go up without one, but for the more complicated bits—"

She cut herself off as the first part of what he said registered and glanced over at him with a flush. "Ah, I mean... Thank you. I'm—I'm glad you liked what you saw before, in the field. That was...mostly a new idea I've been working on..."

visualspice

Thomas was captivated.
"Truly? Do you normally create your own routine? These dances on ropes?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Oh, well..." Still blushing, she couldn't quite keep a smile from her face. "Actually...I'm not usually on the rope. I—I'm an acrobat, really. Trapeze."

As they crossed from the "front" of the fairgrounds to the part of the green that the Fantasma members had cordoned off for rehearsal and living spaces, she added, "I can't really do that until we have the big top up, though. I could show you some ground work routines I have, if you like."

She paused, catching sight of exactly who she'd been looking for and raised her hand to catch their attention. "Elea and Myst, over there—they help me work things out to music. They're so talented, you'll have a treat listening to them! C'mon, I just have to help them fix up the tents back here."

visualspice

Thomas couldn't erase his smile if he tried.
"I'd love to see. I've only ever heard of trapeze routines.. are they difficult?" He inquired, following close to her like a lost little puppy.
And then his eyes were dancing at the promise of music.
"That sounds amazing. Although, you're doing so much for me and I can offer very little help in return. "
It was another down side to being.. well.. a ghost.

"I just wish I could be of some help," he admitted.

DragonSong

"Oh, an audience is always helpful," Addie laughed. Lowering her voice, she added, "Even if I'm the only one who knows you're there, for the moment."

"Adelaide!" Elea called out once they were in earshot, drawing the girl's attention. "Come to help us now that we've nearly finished?" the singer teased lightly.

Addie blushed and mumbled apologies, but Elea just waved her off with a laugh. "Oh, I'm teasing, lass. Come, help me set up the cook tent and we can find my useless husband to see about your set—that is why you're here, mm?"

"Ah, sort of," Adelaide mumbled as she set about helping Elea arrange the cookware within easy reach for any who might need it.

"Useless, am I?" Myst suddenly appeared from around the corner of the tent, mock scowling at his wife. Elea beamed at him and crooked her finger.

"Well, useful for some things. Just not cooking," she quipped, then laughed as he caught her around the waist and kissed her.

Adelaide looked away, smiling but blushing. She glanced around for Thomas, whispering, "Sorry about them."

visualspice

Thomas's cheeks were also pink.
"I think they're sweet. Being in love is a wonderful thing." He turned to Adelaide. 
"Do you have someone you love here at the carnival?"

DragonSong

"Oh, gods no." She laughed quietly, her blush deepening a few shades. "I mean, not like that, anyway."

It wasn't an unreasonable question she supposed, but his genuine, earnest tone amplified her fluster.

"D-do you?" she asked reflexively, then blushed all the harder. "Oh, I mean...did you? That—I'm sorry, never mind. Forget I asked..."

visualspice

Thomas blushed further at her reaction.
"Oh, I... hadn't meant to put you on the spot. "
And he didn't realize how she felt until well.. the question was directed back at him.

He put up his hands to let her know there was no offense, and smiled through more blushed as he replied. "No, I had no lover before.. well, all this " he grew sheepish but tried to shrug it off.
"I Suppose somethings are just not meant to be."

DragonSong

Adelaide simply stared at him for a moment, eyebrows tipped up in concern. "I'm sorry," she murmured. "That...doesn't seem fair."

To have died so young, and simple accept that love was never meant to be a part of your life? It made her heart ache.

She might have said something else, but then Elea was turning to her and calling for her help, asking her to come finish arranging the cookware while Myst adjusted the internal supports of the tent. Smiling at his wife's back as she bustled about, the fae musician moved to reinforce the pole not too far from where Thomas was standing. Seeming to simply be speaking aloud, he noted, "I don't See things near as clearly as our Addie does, but--correct me if I'm wrong, lass--you didn't come to see us on your own, did you?"

"Oh!" Addie froze, staring first at him, then at Thomas. She'd had no idea Myst might be able to sense a spirit's presence. "Er..."

visualspice

"Don't look so glum, Adelaide. I'm atleast enjoying this part of my life."

If one could call becoming a spirit, life.

But attentions soon turned and Adelaide needed to get back to work.  But at her and Myst's exchange...

Thomas's brows dipped. Should he be concerned? 

"What is it, Adelaide?"

DragonSong

"I-I, um..." Addie glanced back and forth between the two of them, wide-eyed. Then, to Myst, she all but whispered, "Can you...see him?"

"See?" Myst shook his head. "No. Can't hear him either, if he's saying anything. It's just a sort of...tickle. Something that makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck."

Elea looked thoroughly confused as her eyes flicked from her husband to the young acrobat and back. "Addie, dear, you've brought a...friend?"

"Ah...sort of." Adelaide shuffled her feet and shot Thomas an apologetic look. "We've, um...we've just met. I thought I'd...show him around. Maybe, umm...maybe, when we've got things settled, I thought he'd might like to..." She waved a hand vaguely between herself and the musicians.

Luckily, Elea and Myst seemed to understand what she meant. "Ah! A private performance. Well, we could certainly use the rehearsal--and a bit of fun, after all these chores," Elea replied cheerily, seemingly entirely unbothered that Addie's "guest" was both invisible and inaudible to her.

visualspice

Thomas was more than grateful the way things panned out.  He was worried for Adelaide there a moment and studied their surroundings before looking back towards Adelaide, Myst and his wife.

"Your family here is really quite accommodating.  It's always too much after being alone like this for so long. " He shook his head.  It was best not to dwell on that. No, he ought to enjoy the moment for what it was and nodded when a performance just for him was mentioned.

"I'd hate to be an inconvenience, but it seems you're all more than willing to oblige." He smiled. "I'm excited to see."

DragonSong

Adelaide translated what he said, someone stilted and asked, but clearly trying to help Thomas feel connected to the conversation.

Elea and Myst continued to joke and tease as Addie helped them finish setting up the cool tent, often asking her to inform them of what her "guest" was saying or doing. Neither asked what exactly Thomas was, simply accepted that he was there.

Eventually, when the sun was reaching its noon zenith, their chores were done, and Elea exclaimed, "Now then! There was talk of a private performance?"

"Oh, well." Addie looked to Thomas, once more blushing a bit. "If...you're still interested?"

visualspice

Thomas had been quiet during the last hour of their work, and once he was brought back into the fold he looked.. different.  Almost tired, and fading.

"That.. sounds lovely  ."

He sounded somehow.. distant. Sleepy.

DragonSong

"Thomas?"

Adelaide abruptly put down the last pot she'd been wrangling onto a shelf and moved toward him.

"Are you alright?" she started to reach out to him automatically, before remembering and snatching her hand back to her chest.

visualspice

Thomas looked at her strangely. 
"What do you mean? I'm a .. a ghost Adelaide. I'm not sure I can be anything else."

But through the haze he furrowed his brow, realizing her concern.
"Is.. something the matter with me?"

Was it possible for there to be?
He was dead.. wasn't he? And his state... 

Wasn't it set in stone?

DragonSong

"Thomas?" Adelaide's voice began to tiptoe toward nervous, though she kept her smile in place even as her brow furrowed. He was getting harder to hear, to see, even when she used her trick of looking at him sidelong. "I--I'm not sure what's happening, it's like you're...fading..."

"Addie." Elea appeared behind her, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder. Her eyes were sad, but kind. "Can you still see him?"

"Yes," she said quickly, looking back to the shimmering outline. "Yes, but it...he..."

"Sweetheart." Elea squeezed her shoulder gently. "Maybe it's...his time. Maybe he's ready to go."

visualspice

The tents were beginning to blossom; tall, colorful and grand. It was a vision in itself and despite being dead, Thomas enjoyed the view and interworking festivities. To remain out of the way, he stood by the back flap, which was left open,  and sun light cast down upon him, and only as the subtle winds blew, making shadows dance, was he now visible. 

It truly did seem like the young ghost was simply 'moving on'.

However, for Thomas, things were different, the world didn't fade, but life did. And he felt remarkably tired and sluggish, as if lying beneath still waters.

Even sound had faded to nothing,  and just simple listless shadows encased his world.