Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

From Dawn [spice!]

Started by DragonSong, January 29, 2023, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

[@visualspice]

Ten years ago...

The sea was magnificent.

"How did it take me so long to see this?" Dusk murmured to herself as she simply stood and stared in wonder at the seemingly endless stretch of blue-gray-green that rolled away to the horizon. She liked to think she had seen quite a few wonderous things since she left La'marri two years ago, both magical and entirely mundane. But this...

There was really nothing like it.

She could have stood and stared for the rest of the day--for several days, if she was being honest--were it not for the insistent reminder from her stomach that she hadn't actually eaten since early that morning, and she'd spent the day on the road. The fishing village that had been her goal when she set out around dawn was within sight--there wasn't much foot traffic, but she could see a few dinghies out in the water, and some people milling about between the buildings.

Hopefully she had enough coin on her for a meal and a place to sleep...

"Excuse me?" She tried to catch the attention of the nearest person who didn't seem actively engaged in something else. "Um, p-pardon, but do you have a moment?"

The fisherman barely glanced up from the knife he was using to clean under his nails. "Eh?"

She summoned up her friendliest smile. "Hello! I, ah, I'm n-not from around here, I was wondering, could you t-tell me where I might find a meal?"

He jerked his head toward one of the larger buildings set further back from the shoreline. "Tavern's that way. Might even got rooms, if you've coin."

"Thank you very much!" She smiled again, hovering awkwardly for a moment. When the man just gave her a grunt and a nod, she took that as a dismissal and hurried away toward the tavern he had indicated. She was starving, and the idea of a bowl of fresh food--anything she hadn't had to forage for herself--was near blissful. She was so wrapped up in the idea of it that she almost missed the voice coming from the narrow alley just behind the tavern.

Almost.

"I told ya, I don't have it."

She froze. That--that sounded like trouble. Oh dear. She hesitated, unsure what she should do--her ambient sense of emotions roiled uncomfortably, telling her there was a lot of anger and fear in closer proximity.

"You pay for the goods you got, that's all I can do," the voice continued.

"That ain't good enough," a new voice snarled, and Dusk actually shivered at the sound. She looked around, wide-eyed, unsure what to do. Should she tell someone? This was--

"Oi!"

The new voice was suddenly directed at her. She froze, eyes blown even wider, and just stared as a figure detached itself from the wall of the alley and started toward her. "You evesdroppin', stranger?"

"N-n-n-no." She took a step back. She hadn't even realized she'd moved closer to the voices when she first heard them--damnit, she'd gotten caught up in the emotional aura. "S-sorry, I'll just--"

"Oh, no you don't, girlie." The second voice was suddenly behind her. She yelped and whirled around to see a man nearly two heads taller than her looming, hand moving toward a sheath at his hip. Oh dear. "Just what did you hear?"

"N-n-n-noth--"

"Bullshit."

She swallowed, eyes darting around frantically. Without her even realizing, the two men had backed her into the alley. She was trapped.

visualspice

Cerenis was one of the many cities he adored. Not simply for it's resources and strength in economy, but the people here tended to be better mannered than all the rest. It was easier to stroll the streets here, unlike the prejudices from both the north and south. Somehow Serendipity remained neutral, open- welcoming and inviting to most of the masses, and thrived in unique mages, myths and on occasion- mayhem.

It was the latter he sought, which wasn't a hard time to find in such a town. He had already struck three extra deals that day and was feeling pretty cocky, a few drinks at a local tavern and the man showed himself out. However, he didn't feel like walking the streets. On that day, he figured he'd brush up on roof top hopping- Just for fun. One could never practice enough for what wildness the world could throw at you.

He hadn't even gotten past the first roof when he heard a commotion from the other side. Curious, he casually made his way over to where he saw an interesting scene. He knew these men- and that look out crew. His lips curled like a cat in the milk. Well, he couldn't let the men have all the fun. However, before he got the chance to jump on down to join in, he was discovered- or at least he thought he was at first. Oh no, it seems the men really weren't that perceptive to catch him up on the roof top. However, they did manage to corner a most unfortunate young woman.

Well now, he never much thought of himself as a hero- however, he also wasn't about to simply let these ill-equipped bandits simply walk away. He would.. see this as simply teaching them a lesson. And as they cornered the woman, he simply dropped a brick on top of one of the men's heads.  
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"What the fuck?!"

One of the men jumped back as his companion abruptly slumped to the ground, thoroughly unconscious. Dusk yelped and tried to jump back a step, but the man who had been first menacing her suddenly brandished a blade in her face.

"Not so fast, girlie. Where's your partner, huh? Who you working with?!"

"N-n-n-n-n-" Dusk was desperately trying to get out the words no one, but she was so scared her stammer had left her nearly mute.

visualspice

The man on the roof sighed. He swore bandits now a days were so predictable. Where had they figured the brick came from? Ah, finally. One looked his way.

So he launched the other brick at the man not looking and by the time the other man cried out in alarm, the brick had smashed into his armed wrist.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Dusk shrieked quietly and tried to skitter back, but she'd been maneuvered into the mouth of the alley during the scuffle and trying to move backward brought her back up against the wall.

The third man—the one who she assumed had been trying to sell to the others—suddenly grabbed her arm and yanked her forward, wrapping an arm around her throat.

"Alright, stop!" he shouted up at the shadowy figure who had been launching bricks. "Another move and your girl here loses her voice. Permanent-like."

I'm not anyone's girl, oh gods I don't know what's happening! She couldn't get enough air to even whisper, let alone protest the black market dealer's assumptions.

visualspice

The man looked quite pleased with himself, like a cat in the cream. He folded his arms and looked directly into the man's eyes.

"Why should I stop when you and your friends are clearly enjoying bricks to the face?"
His demeanor was so casual, his eyes not even registering the young woman captured and threatened by the other.

DragonSong

The man who held Dusk tightened his grip, and she choked weakly.

"You think I'm bluffing?!" he called up. "Stand down!"

visualspice

"Oh, I don't doubt nor care if you're bluffing, but you see the thing of it is I don't recall giving you permission. Now, I've worked very hard on this town, cleaning up the streets and cornering the black market. And you.." he went on, pointing at the man clutching the poor woman around the throat. "Are so far out of your league that it's laughable. Now, do I need to come down there and explain this further?"

The man almost looked bored as he chastised the other man, but he had a few tricks up his sleeve. 

"I mean..most do need an appointment to be personally killed by Opus Dey."

DragonSong

"Shit," Dusk heard her captor breathe. His grip on her tightened for a moment, then slowly, slowly started to loosen.

"Alright, alright. Fine, I'm not lookin' for trouble," he called up.

visualspice

Opus looked amused. That was the correct response but...
He jumped down from the building, seeming unphased by the height and began to approach. 

"Not looking for trouble?" He repeated, approaching closer still with the litheness of a leopard.

"To me.. it looks like that's exactly what you are looking for."

And Opus raised a hand, a subtle glow of red casting from his fingers tips, then the same glow came from the others throat as he began to choke him.

However, the aim here wasn't to kill the man. Oh no, that would be too easy. No. He had a reputation to maintain and when the man's face was purple enough, he simply let him drop. 

He stood over his form, eyes cold like ice as the haze bore into him.

"Go back to whatever rotting corner you climbed out of and tell whoever you work for that if I see any of you again.. I'll personally slit all.of your God damned throats. "

DragonSong

As soon as the grip on her released Dusk all but collapsed to her rear, quickly scuttling sideways until her back fetched up against the wall of the alley.

She sat there, panting and wide eyed, as her unexpected rescuer proved that he might in fact be just as terrifying as what she had just narrowly escaped.

Her would-be captor scurried away, cursing, and she looked up at the stranger. "Th-th-thank...y-you..."

visualspice

The taller man was slipping on a pair of gloves before he paid any attention to her response.

"Ruffians like these don't belong in this section of town." He told her simply.  Then he looked her over. "They shouldn't bother you any further. "

DragonSong

Dusk nodded shakily, unsure what else to do. She was still collapsed on the ground, not entirely sure herself if she was actually unable to stand just yet, or if she was unwilling to try and fall in the presence of her rescuer.

Was "rescuer" the right word? It seemed to fit--he had certainly saved her, albeit in a rather frightening manner. But she thought she'd been on her own long enough to understand that, unfortunately, extreme measures were simply the way the world worked in some places.

She didn't like it, but she could understand it.

visualspice

Opus observed the young woman who hadn't moved, nor registered what happened.  She was likely in shock. After all, she didn't seem injured. 

"You should be more careful in which alleyways you walk," he informed her. He wasn't expecting a response. She'd be safe for now so he turned and began to make his way out of the alleyway, pausing a moment to debate climbing rooftops or to simply walk out- he being a symbolic reminder to other thugs on the street that well... he owned this side of town.

DragonSong

"W-w-wait--" Teeth chattering, which certainly didn't help her stammer, Dusk scrambled to her feet and started to reach after him unthinkingly before she snatched her hand back. She licked her lips and dropped her eyes, unsure...what exactly she was feeling from him, but...it was something. Something that made her want to reach out to it.

visualspice

Opus paused and slowly turned to look at her from over his shoulder, but he said nothing, just patiently waited for her to speak.

DragonSong

"I—" She licked her lips nervously and clutched her satchel a little tighter. "I'm...new to this place. I don't—I don't know which sorts of alleys I should be avoiding."

She drew in a breath, still shaking lightly from the altercation. "I'm afraid I d-don't have much coin, b-b-but...do you have any other advice you're willing to share?"

visualspice

Was she.. really just asking him for help?

And.. for free?

Hadn't he just helped her enough? Funny how that was. However.. it made sense if she was new to the city. He tilted his head curiously the other way and regarded her.

"Then avoid all alleys," he told her, simply.

DragonSong

"R-right." She swallowed and flexed her fingers around the strap of her satchel, then took a steadying breath. "Perhaps, um...I was told there's an inn nearby. Could you...p-point me in the right direction?"

visualspice

Opus presses his lips into a line. He was reading hee, contemplating if he should continue to bother over her.

"I could.. but you might not like the directions I recommend."