Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Get off my lawn! [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, August 23, 2023, 01:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Jayari clamped her mouth shut at that. No, she definitely could not say how she would feel, one way or the other, but she still couldn't fathom the idea of being alone—tragedy or not. Of course she had nothing to compare to such an unimaginable loss, but...damn. 

Living like this seemed like living just for the sake of it. What kind of life was that?

"If you say so," she said with a shrug.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

When Cha reached the end of his tunnel, he stood and turned on his lantern. He did not aim it like a spotlight this time, but opened the hood so that the light could spill out into the room. From there he moved  to the curtain that led to his kitchen and work area. Toward the back of the room the rope came down from a hole in the ceiling and the bags were there on the floor. He pulled the knots loose and carried the bags back to the front room for Jayari to unpack and show him the contents.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Finally! Time to get this over with and hopefully be done with him for a while. 

Jayari had a suspicion the feeling was mutual.

She stood and waited as he fetched the bags, not straying from her spot since she had never been invited further inside—which seemed especially important after she'd snuck inside earlier. It was nice indoors, warm enough that she flipped her hood down and enjoyed breathing something other than freezing air.

Cha'Druku didn't take long. When he set them down, she knelt and started to unpack them. 

"Alright, so getting right to it..." She heaved out a large sack and untied it, opening it so he could see inside . "Beans." Another sack. "Corn." Dried, of course. "Then there's this..." Sweet potatoes.

"Brought some dried berries, too...but these aren't the most exciting ones."

Another bag revealed leather pouches which she opened to reveal cheese and butter, with some ceramic containers in the same saddlebag that were filled with goat milk and kefir. Another, smaller leather bag contained kumis. "Whatcha think?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Cha stepped away from Jayari to open his dry chest. He opened it and began flipping through. He pulled out a few furs and pelts and folded them over his arm. He then pulled out a couple other items before returning to Jayari. He laid them out in front of her. Several animal hides; three deer, one wolf, two hare and five beaver. Then he set down a four large canines, and ten large claws all from what was likely a large dire badger. "As I said, I'll take it all. Now from what I'm willing to part with, you decide what you want."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Jayari examined the pelts, which were of the sort of quality she anticipated from him, if the previous pelts were anything to go by. But among the expected skins were new ones: beaver! Perfect for warm, waterproof garments and not an animal they trapped often.

And then there were the claws and teeth...

She was starved for choice.

"These, definitely," she said, motioning to the beaver pelts. "The deer and wolf as well. And as many of those as you think all that's worth." Because to be honest, she didn't recognize that animal at all, but felt the kumis alone was worth something! He certainly didn't have any horses and she wasn't certain how much alcohol a hermit like him had access to. With all his talk of trauma, seemed like that might be useful on rough nights—or just to unwind.

Aeytrious

Cha raised a skeptical eyebrow. "You think what you brought is worth all this? Including dire badger teeth and claws? These claws are strong enough to dig through solid stone. The teeth can crush the shell of the iron beetle." He shook his head at the girl and gave her a bemused smirk. "I will give you all this, if you bring back a sack of manoomin. Today. Can you do that?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Jayari felt her cheeks heat, her shoulders hitching up. She was doing her best here! She was only guessing at the value of things; her strength and interest was in fighting and all that so she had never had to negotiate a trade before—

—which, she realized suddenly, was maybe the real reason her father had put her up to this. Practice.

With a sigh, she deflated a little. Yeah, those definitely sounded worth more than a little alcohol and some beans and corn.

And while she was not looking forward to another round trip in the cold...

"...I think I can manage that."

Aeytrious

"Good," Cha said, and began rolling the hides to pack in the bags as best as they would fit. "I'll tie the bags up to the rope. Be sure to close the hatch properly after you pull them up."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Nah, I'll just leave it wide open to the elements," Jayari said as she turned to crawl back up, pausing an looking back at him before she did.

"Kidding, kidding. I'll close it properly, promise. And, uh, by the way...thanks for doing business?" Was that what people said? Ah, whatever. For all her annoyance with him, she was at least grateful he hadn't shot her and was willing to cooperate, so that was something. "Be back soon. Don't go anywhere."

And then she was heading back up through the tunnel.

Silence stretched for a while as she crawled. And then...

"Uhhh...Cha'Druku? There's a bit of a problem..."

Aeytrious

Cha had gone to the back and tied the bags, and had come back into the front room planning to make himself some food when Jayari came back into his cave. A problem. "What kind of problem?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Uhh..." Jayari grimaced. He was going to love this about as much as she did.

"Like...blizzard problems. I-can't-go-out-there problems."

Aeytrious

Cha was less than pleased, but a person had to have proper priorities in any situation. "How's the horse?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Zala? She'll be okay," Jayari said as she plopped onto the ground with a sigh. "She was born on the plains here and she knows the way home." She drew her knees to her chest and propped her chin atop them.

"Don't act worried about her. You wanted to eat her earlier."

Aeytrious

Cha let out a bark of a laugh. "I did not want to eat your horse. I've eaten horse, it wasn't terrible but not what I would prefer." Cha chuckled a little. "I knew that threatening to eat a Duhjari's horse would get a reaction. It is always good to know your opponents weakness." 
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Jayari held up a hand, palm out, making a face. "I don't wanna hear it! I don't want to know about your...horse eating. How could you even do that with your mother's stories in your ears? Did she teach you nothing about that part?"

Aeytrious

"It was an enemy's horse," Cha told Jayari. "It had died in battle, and our supplies had been destroyed. You do what you can to survive."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Jayari wrinkled her nose at that, her expression screwed up with skepticism. "Sooo...that mean you'd eat a person if you had to?"

Because that was basically the same thing in her eyes.

Aeytrious

Cha considered for a moment. "If it was the only way to survive and they were already dead, I'm gonna have to go with yes. Why would I choose death over a little cannibalism?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Jayari eyed him, eyebrow raised. "...would it make a difference if it was a kid or an old person or...?"

Aeytrious

Cha was a little perturbed by the question. "Why are you asking such weird questions?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey