Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After Hours: Dust to Dawn

Started by visualspice, January 17, 2024, 12:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

The day had been long, like each one before. The week had been long, like last week was. The month had been endless, feeling like a year, and years turned into decades into days into a haze. How long had she been working here? Too long to remember, but it was work she rather liked. Even if her fingers got dirty from the ink on the scroll and bound book pages, she always held a fondness for the scents and quirks of the library.

She wasn't a woman educated by noble standards, but had learned to read well enough on her own to get into a simply cataloging position at the library. It was perhaps because she was so persistent (and annoyingly so) that she had even gotten in in the first place, and now it was hard to get rid of Miss Artemis Longfellow, even now, when she was months into a depression of revenue and a pay cut where she worked at nearly half the salary she had before.

But she tried not to let that get to her. A job was a job, and during these times of war, she wasn't going to complain when many had suffered many losses elsewhere with the lives of men or with bad crops from the too hot summer.

This was one such summer day, where the air was sticky and hot and unforgiving, and one where even those who hated water prayed for rain. Tonight it seemed those prayers would be answered, for as the library was closing, the rains had began. The rumbling purr of thunder was a welcome sound, and the thrum of rain helped keep the other wise unnatural quiet of the large and vacant after hours library a bit more sane.

And Artemis liked the sound of rain, even as it was pounding on the ceiling over head. She had been climbing the ladders and humming to herself while putting away the volumes of Essyrni histories ( a period of the kings, reigns one thru the eleventh of the first Kings) when she noticed how dusty the tops of books shelves had become.

"Oh, this'll never do." She fished for the kerchief around her neck and undid it with one hand,t he other bracing herself against the heavy ladder that laid against the tall shelving. She shook the kerchief out and reached around and began to wipe the dust away. By now, she was several hours into her night shift when she noticed something moving between a break in the books.

She paused briefly and took a step down to have a better look see, but when she noticed there was some strange man on the other side, it startled her so much that she jerked back with a gasp, banging her head off the bottom of the shelf above her and forcing her to stumbling into the books below. And it didn't take much to dislodge the books from their position, as Artemis caught herself against the shelf and watched in horror as a pair of history books flapped down in a furry of pages towards the poor unfortunate soul below.

Fearful it might be her boss in whom she just may have hit over the head with a pair of history books, she jerked back from the book shelf out of fear, and out of sight, a hand sealing over her lip as her dark eyes were froze open in terror. Ansgar's name!? What should she do!?

Not wanting her boss to have to come around the other side to find her and climb up the ladder and throttle her himself, she knew she had to take responsibility, and was rushing down the ladder, blathering out all sorts of apologies as she rounded the aisle and came to the other side- only to come to a sudden stop with her mouth open and eyes wide in confusion to see it wasn't her boss there after hours- but a complete stranger. 

And not just a plain jane stranger either- because the man had an absolute roguish charm to him that had left her completely and utterly frozen in place. 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MorningStar

The night was draped in darkness as Noah, cloaked in the shadows, stealthily slipped through the library's ornate entrance after hours. His steps were silent against the polished marble floor, guided only by the faint glow of a hidden lantern casting a dim light. The rhythmic sound of raindrops tapping on the tall windows provided a soothing backdrop to his exciting objective.

Noah's eyes scanned the ancient tomes that lined the shelves, his breath low and measured. He sought the rumored hidden section, whispered about among scholars and treasure hunters alike. A subtle creak of a floorboard beneath his cautious steps resonated through the hushed atmosphere.

Eventually, he discovered a concealed door behind a bookshelf, its existence betrayed by a subtle draft. As he pushed it open, the room beyond revealed itself in a soft glow of ambient light. Antique books and scrolls adorned wooden tables, and the air carried the musty scent of ancient knowledge.

Raindrops traced intricate patterns on the windows, casting fleeting shadows across the room. Noah's fingers delicately traced the spines of dusty books, searching for clues about the first artifact. As he uncovered cryptic references and obscure maps, a revelation began to form in his mind—a lead that hinted at a forgotten temple nestled deep within a dense forest.

Got it. Content with his findings, Noah swiftly and silently departed the room, restoring it to its concealed state to erase any trace of his presence. He then hurriedly made his way toward the direction of the exit.

However, in the midst of his solitary pursuit, the library's silence was shattered by an unexpected collision. Noah, startled, found himself abruptly bumped into by a young woman - one with impressive full hair, cute freckles, and deep eyes. She also, more than likely, worked there. A temporary shock paralyzed him as he believed he was alone in this covert expedition. Swiftly regaining his composure, Noah flashed a disarming smile and adopted a casual tone.

"Well, I wasn't expecting company this time of night," he remarked, feigning surprise. "Are you a fellow night owl?"

visualspice

"S.. s.. sir," she stammered out, whits sputtering back like an old horse. She took a reflexive step back and eyed the man up and down. "No one is to be in here.  The library is closed. "

A frown strained her face as she peered towards rhe entryway and then towards rhe windows, not noticing anything open or out of the ordinary. And once that was settled (or rather.. decidedly not settled...) Artemis bent down abd began to hastily retieve the books that had attacked the man.

"How.. how have you managed to come in here again such an hour?" She asked, trying to hold back the fear that now laced her blood- because for all she knew.. this man was a criminal- a theif, aiming to steal from the library. She tried to be discrete about eyeing any of his pockets, but Artemis was as obvious as the rain.

The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

MorningStar

Noah's reaction was swift, a well-practiced act of feigned surprise coupled with a hint of mild upset at her words. Without missing a beat, he mirrored her actions, bending down to assist with the books that had scattered across the floor. Amidst the literary chaos, he skillfully kept the particular book he had selected securely tucked under his arm.

As they both reached for different books simultaneously, their hands momentarily overlapped in the shared task of collecting the scattered volumes - a hand on each side on one solitary novel.

"I find myself a bit bewildered," he admitted, a charming white lie slipping effortlessly from his lips. He then gestured toward the entrance, where the door was cracked open slightly. "The door was unlocked."

visualspice

Artemis stopped when they both went for the same book.  And then he told her something that made her stomach drop.

She stood up suddenly, gasping as she couldn't believe she hasn't noticed that earlier.

"But.. but I swear I locked those doors hours ago!"  She scrambled to check her pockets, producing the keyring with confused curiosity.  Then she turned to the man.

"Locked or not.." she went on, shuffling the books in her arms as her reading spectacles slid down her nose. "Do you simply walk into a man's home just because it is unlocked? Surely you would have noticed nobody was inside and would have deduced the library was closed."
She gave him a scolding look as she reached out for the books he has been holding so she could add them to the pile in her arms.

MorningStar

"I may be a scholar," he said with a smile before returning to his feet. "But I am certainly no deducer. I apologize, madam; I truly meant you no trouble."

Back on his feet, he closely studied her face, noticing her spectacles had slid down the bridge of her nose. She extended her hand towards the book he had tucked away—the one he needed.

Rather than complying with her silent request, he tossed her a affectionate smile before using his other hand to gently lift her glasses and secure them back in place. His gaze lingered on her for a moment, warmth evident in his eyes. "There. Much better, don't you think, Miss...?"

He left the sentence open-ended, extending an invitation for her to share her name.

visualspice

Although the gesture was simple, somehow it was enacted in a way that had taken her completely off guard. She was left gaping at him and clinging to the books she had before she flusteredly composed herself and gave a prim huff.

"Miss Longfellow. Artemis Longfellow. And as the librarian on duty I must insist you take your leave of rhe library this very instance. You can return tomorrow. We do open quite early," she assured. "Mister..?" And she raised her brows on question at his name, hoping her cheeks weren't as red as they felt. 

MorningStar

Well, she seems to have forgotten about the book with that, he thought. Catching her attention, he said with a charming smile, "Noah Finley." Taking one of her hands, he raised it to his lips, gently kissing her knuckles. "Perhaps we'll meet again."

With that, he gracefully complied with her request to leave, walking past her with the book in tow.

visualspice

The kiss to the hand immediately made her entire brain shut down. She couldn't think. She couldn't blink. She couldn't breath, talk or even move.

And then the man was heading towards the door. It was perfectly acceptable that he ought to leave. She had clearly let him know it was inappropriate and-

Gasping, she noted the book he held.

"Sir!" She called out, rushing to him. "Please wait! You forgot something! "

By now she had caught up to him but was already out of breath.

"Sir.." she gestured towards his arm. "The book..?" And she put her hand out, expectantly. 

MorningStar

As Noah neared the exit, Artemis unexpectedly caught up to him, her presence almost unnoticed until he sensed her beside him. Letting out a quiet breath, he turned to face her with a subtle smile playing on his lips.

"This?," he asked innocently, a hint of charm in his tone. "I was just about to borrow this. Does this library not adhere to the honor system?"

visualspice

She frowned at him but kept her chin up. She wasn't about to get bullied out of her duties.

"These books are meant to share with the world... but only within the facility. If we leant then out to anyone whom wanted them, well.. we'd hardly have any books left for all to read. "

Really... honor system? Was this how Serenian libraries worked? Goodness if it were.. how on earth had they ever kept a single book?

"If you want to read it, you'll have to do it at your leisure here. Or petition the head librarian during open hours."

MorningStar

In a desperate attempt to elude Artemis and make a swift exit from the library with the coveted book, Noah opted for a more charming approach. Closing the distance between them, he flashed a charismatic smile and inquired, "And who might this head librarian be?"

One more step closer.

"What time does the library open?"

Another step, the distance almost nonexistent.

"Perhaps I could just bring it back before opening hours tomorrow. It would be like it was never gone.. Artemis."

visualspice

Her face heated to a hundred degrees as he approached. And the answers eluded her as they deflated outside of her mind at how quickly she began to feel utter panick at how close he actually was...

Wait.. right...

She would not be swindled by this trespasser. She grabbed the book suddenly and gave a tug. 

"Rules are rules, I'm afraid. "

And she definitely didn't get paid well enough for this sort of thing!

"Now, if you'll excuse me.. I have a library to lock up..."

MorningStar

The library's once quiet ambiance became the backdrop for the unfolding spectacle as Artemis persisted in her attempt to retrieve the book from Noah's determined grasp. Their tug-of-war created a whimsical dance, the book serving as a peculiar centerpiece in their amusing struggle.

Not one to shy away from seizing the moment, Noah saw an opportunity to inject a dose of himself into the situation. As Artemis tugged, he smoothly maneuvered closer, nearly a breath apart, a mischievous glint in his eyes. With a playful smile, he quipped, "Oh, Artemis, at least let me buy you dinner first."

visualspice

She hadn't even noticed her tugging had brought him closer- and she immediate flushed once he brought it up.  And then what he implied...

Reflexively, she slapped him.

"I am not some.. some.. woman you can find and pay on the streets for.. for..." she glared at him, realizing what he was trying to accomplish and narrowed her eyes, her spectacles having slipped down her nose as they wrestle.

"I... am a librarian and I will not tolerate such belittling from a trespasser! Now if you'll please.. unhand the book before I get the guards involved!"

MorningStar

Upon her resounding slap, the impact reverberated through the quiet library, bouncing off the lines of towering bookshelves. This girl had some fire in her after all.

Reacting with feigned offense, he delicately placed a hand on his cheek, his eyes portraying a hurt soul – a performance for effect. "Well, you are a woman!" he retorted, using his free hand to make a theatrical motion up and down her figure. "But, you win! Have it!"

With a swift motion, he pretended to relinquish his hold on the book he was holding, a deceptive move designed to catch the librarian off guard. The book dropped to the floor between them with a resounding thud, its cover and pages flipping open as they settled by their feet.

visualspice

She gasped in horror and immediately dropped to her knees, fetching up the book and glaring at him.

"Look what youve done! The bindings come off!" He wailed, frantically trying to press the loose bound pages back into the book when something unseen tittered to the floor and rolled unseen under her skirts.

MorningStar

"Oh, hush, I can fix this!" he swiftly responded, dropping to his knees to address her concerns. The urgency mirrored in her expression resonated with him – that book needed to remain in good condition. However, as he attempted to work on the bindings, his hands fumbled and wrestled with hers, achieving absolutely nothing.

The awkward struggle ceased when a distinct click-clack echoed on the floor, followed by the sound of something rolling and stopping just under the woman's attire. "Ma'am," he said softly, a hint of hesitation in his voice, "I may need to get into your pants."

visualspice

She gasped them slapped his hand away.
"You will do no such things!"

And besides.. she didn't wear pants. 
"I will kindly ask again that you leave."

MorningStar

Realizing he had misspoken, he pressed on despite the confusion. As she swatted away his hand, he intercepted it with his own, meeting her gaze. "No," he attempted to correct himself, "something from the book rolled under your skirt."

And, for reasons unknown to him, he was getting a bad feeling about it.