Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Follow The Water

Started by Anonymous, July 26, 2006, 03:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

He didn't really turn his head to respond. The whole reason he was here was to guard. They were safer here than anywhere else he could think of, but given how much attention Lexiss seemed to pay to it, that safety wasn't really something to rely on. He certainly didn't want to have to rely on it.

"You're not a cub Lil, and whatever demons may do...I don't think you're as mad as your father seems to be. I shouldn't have spoken to you like you were. Not when I know you wouldn't like it."

Ilo let out a piercing squeal and nearly tore his pillow in two, kicking one foot into the wall wth a heavy thud. Surprisingly enough, this didn't seem to disturb him in the slightest. Stefan pulled a wry face.

"Ilo, on the other hand, is very much like a cub, mostly because he," he stood up and stretched, "is slowly," padded over and held Ilo loosely asleep in his arms, still clutching the pillow, "destroying every bit of patience," back to the window again, "I have ever possessed."

He leant out from the window and laid Ilo into the nearest bush. Ilo settled into the bush, fell through the bush, rolled out from underneath the bush and settled facedown on the grass. He was still snoring.

Stefan sat on the floor with his knees curled tight to his chest. He looked at her for a moment, though there wasn't much more than a dim outline for him to see, then poked his tongue out and chewed on it thoughtfully. There was a long silence.

"I wish you'd tell me what you want," he said finally.

Anonymous

Liliha sighed, brows raised in the darkness. It was comforting, how much it could hide, the tiredness on her face, the lines of stress, of weariness. There were even times when she couldn't be completely impassive, to completely hide herself twenty-four seven was beyond her skill. And the fact the energy it'd take to do such a thing would devour her reserves. They were saved for something much more important than keeping face in the dark. Even if Stefan claimed to have seen it, she would lie through her teeth, dismiss him, as was usual for her.

"You're still on about that? Forget about it," she told him in a flat voice, watching him take Ilo away. Ilo was as old as she was. It was funny how the boy hadn't seemed to have grown up. Or maybe she had grown up too much? Certainly, he had been in the 'demon world'. He had seen that side, and Lil knew very well that she was considerably young for even a half demon. He was younger yet for a full demon.

"I think that goes to show just how used to him I am," she spoke thoughtfully, looking down at the fine material of the blankets, of the sheets - rich and expensive, they smelled of magic. She was almost surprised that this has hadn't fallen apart. But surely Taima was weaving her magic through the entirety of the house, to stabilize its quivering.

Lil felt slightly bitter. He knew the house was in grave danger. He knew his grandchild and his daughter were in danger. He showed little concern for his offspring. Then again, Lil had always been a little spiteful and bitter towards him. Not for any real reason, but as a child he had seemed distant and cool. What she had saw and how he had treated her mother broke her heart - should a husband and wife be so cold towards one another? Lil had once thought it was her fault. But after awhile, she hadn't cared. She had her mother, and she didn't really need Lexiss except for what he could offer. As much as she despised using him, she felt it was her duty. As his daughter, she should use him to the fullest.

Only later in life did she realize just how much her parents cared for eachother. But that hadn't done much to cure the years of bitterness that Lil had accumulated. She hadn't really felt any need to throw it away. Lexiss was distant to her - she had no reason to change it, even if the reason it had begun was weak and nonexistant.

In the silence, she had almost forgotten about him. Really, she almost had. And then he spoke, after the long silence. In the back of her mind she had simply assumed that he had went to bed. She hadn't bothered to look when she had remembered she wasn't alone.

"What I want?" She asked, her tone thoroughly amused. "I have no idea what you mean, Stefan." Lil tilted her head. "Maybe you need some sleep?" She added it after a moment of thought. She wasn't exactly sure she wanted to know where this was going.

Instead of looking at him she laid back onto her bed, and out of habit she only took up the side at the edge of the bed. Her feet rested on the bed, knees pointing at the ceiling, her left arm laying, stretched across the bed, quietly reminding herself that she could, if she wanted, sprawl over it. Her other arm layed, reminding her how useless it was.

Anonymous

"Fair enough."

He couldn't deny he was tired. He'd been trying to be useful and keep an eye on the rest of the garden (or an ear, as was more likely) but there was a limit to how much of that he could manage. Besides, something very strange was going on here - the air nearly crackled with...something, he didn't know what. Magic maybe, or something even Lexiss didn't intend. Damned if he knew. At this point, he was a hair away from admitting to the world at large that he - fourteen years and counting living on his wits and his feet, seen things that the words didn't yet exist for - had absolutely no idea what was going on here.

"If anything odd happens or you do manage to sleep, throw something at my head to wake me up."

The last thing he remembered hearing before he fell asleep was Ilo - still curled up and nuzzling deeper into the grass outside - yelling "Really? That's FANTASTIC!!" at the top of his voice.

Strange, strange place...

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the short post, Emoosts - I wasn't sure what to throw you. Do as you like.

Anonymous

Lil hadn't moved from her spot on her bed the entire night. Her eyes occasionally flickered to the window, watching it impassively, and then moving down to Stefan's sleeping form. She was envious that he could sleep. She shifted angrily, frustrated with herself, grabbing her face, fingertips digging into her cheeks. Liliha hated not being able to sleep, and she hadn't thinking about the same things over and over. Her life was beginning to revolve around meaningless thoughts, and she was letting it destroy her from the inside out. And it was just what happened those years ago, it was everything piling on top, and it seemed to magnify in the dark.

When the sun stretched through her window, partially blocked by a tree that hadn't been there the day before, she sat up, dropping her feet to the floor. She carefully manuevered around the room, standing in front fo the window she peered out. The outside of the home had changed - everything was rotated and vaguely warped. Her father was really losing his mind, now wasn't he?

In a fit of fury she punched at the wall, teeth gritted as she stared at the dent, the cracks that stretched across the wall. She dropped her fist and watched them disappear, magic fixing it to how it was. Why was her father getting to lose his lucid fucking mind while she could hardly mourn properly? If anything, it was his fault their mother was still suffering - if he wasn't falling to fucking pieces, surely Avarielle would be able to pass on without worry.

It was his fault. She wanted to rip his lungs out, gauge out his eyes, cut off HIS forearms, and HIS ears, and HIS fingertips. She wanted him to suffer more than he already was, and for one psychotic moment, she thought she might just do it.

But it was his suffering that was making their safety crumble down around them. What kind of father or grandfather was he? What kind of host was he?

Avarielle would be too kind to call him on his faults - but there was no way in hell that Liliha was too kind.

She tore open each door frantically. Where they hell did they lead? They led to closets now! She kicked at things in her room and at the doors, clawing at them with her nails. She rested her forehead against the door, closing her eyes for a second before taking a deep, shuddery breath. Magic. It was said to be a natural thing that happened. But how did you consciously use it?

Her heart pounded and her chest tightened and welled with emotion; she was angry - no, furious. Whether that was her trigger, or whatever other emotion she felt, energy ripped through her arms. She couldn't help but to gasp and nearly double over at the sharp pain in both her arms. She saw stars for a second before the magic - whatever it was - invaded the wood and shot across the walls and into the floor, chaotic and the color of blood. It moved with its own mind - with its own objectives as it disappeared, the smell whitehot and burning in the air.

"Mother fucking hell, that better have done SOMETHING," she hissed, both of her arms throbbing. Lil ripped open the door.

Finally. To a hall she knew. She paused before storming down the hall and opening the door.

Lexiss was curled around Avarielle's form. Sherene wasn't there. Perhaps Taima had taken her, who knew?

He was sobbing like a child. Liliha felt disgusted - Avarielle was dead, of course. She sucked in a deep breath and stomped over to her feather and punched him in the back of the head. Hard. She heard the crack echo in the room. She pushed him off - he had blacked out at the sudden shock. Liliha held her breath, glancing around the room. Everything was still - nothing moved or crumbled.

She took off back down the hall, found Taima in the kitchen, she hugged and kissed a sleepy Sherene and pulled Taima along with her hurriedly.

"Burry that woman. Set her in the stone casket he made for her in the shrine. Close the door and seal it with your magic," Lil said, grabbing her father and dragging him out of the room and pushed him into the stream. She left him there without a second thought - he'd live. It'd take more than to kill him. Unfortanuately. Maybe he'd wake up. And turn sane. Ha!

Back in the house, she stood in what she guessed was a lobby. She glanced around, the wood carved in designs of people and places and creatures that weren't existant in this world. Her eyes flickered to a series of pictures, mostly of her and Avarielle. She spat on the floor to show her distaste.

"Tacky decor," she grumbled before storming down the hall and back to the kitchen. She sat in a chair and tilted back her head. She stared at the ceiling until her vision went blurry.

Sherene climbed off the chair and curled up in her mother's lap. It was her mother, regardless if she looked different. Sherene just knew - she knew it was her mommy, because... well, Liliha was a distinctive person, now wasn't she? She gripped her mother's good arm, glancing up, wide-eyed, when Lexiss came storming in.

Why was he soaked?

"Woke up, Lexiss?" She asked him, eyes flickering at him, deadpan.

The air crackled. Tension filled the air. Or was that magic?

[yay for my sincere efforts at complete randomosity!]

Anonymous

Stefan swore.

He'd woken to find an empty room burning with magic, sharp and acrid and oddly clean like a lightning strike. On top of that the doors that led to nowhere in particular now seemed to lead to an entirely different bit of nowhere than what he'd seen the night before.

What had once been her bedroom door now appeared to be the lid of a crate or at least, he found himself standing in a box when he tried to go through it. Her wardrobe seemed to open out onto a hallway with no visible end. Peering out her bedroom window, he could see a few trees that he would have sworn didn't belong there...  

Drat it, where was Lil?

This was getting ridiculous. He'd had enough trouble learning the old layout - the one that tied itself in knots for the sheer joy of having someone else untangle them - and this new setup went well beyond simple knots. This one was verging on outright madness.

The more he understood of Lil's world, the more unnerved he was by it. This didn't seem to be getting any better, either. There was nothing wrong with it, of course...but he was struggling more than he ever planned to tell her.

Right. Well. There was a way out of here somewhere. There had to be a door that didn't lead to another corner of Lexiss' bent mind. He closed his eyes, stood perfectly still...and sniffed.

Ah. The lightning strike smell; that was Lil, he knew that one. Drier, sharper...not quite the same as it had been, with more of the faint reptilian 'demon' echoes to it, but close enough. She smelt like her father now.

Follow that, and he would find the way out.

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite so simple. He ended up on the ceiling three times.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexiss was soaked.

The scene in the kitchen was almost normal. It would have been perfectly ordinary had it not been for the master of the house standing in the middle and dripping water all over the floor. Lil had Sherene perched on her lap, clinging to the better arm.  She seemed totally impassive - more than was usual, even for her - and simply watched her father's growing puddle.

Stefan made the diplomatic decision to stay out of the way. He stepped into the shadows, ignored the air sparking all over the room and watched Lexiss trying to conquer himself.

"Woke up, Lexiss?" She almost sounded flippant.

Lexiss shook, flinging drops of water everywhere. His mouth settled into a thin line. He swallowed.

"Yes." His voice sounded thick, heavy. Almost as though (and Stefan struggled to imagine this) he'd been crying. That voice had all the weight of the underworld's doors slamming closed behind it.

She was dead, then.

Anonymous

"Good." Her voice was horribly unforgiving and sharp, a muscle in her cheek twinging and standing out, possibly the only small sign she was still furious.

"Then get this through your thick skull. Avarielle is dead. Taima is lying her to rest. I swear to god, if you give that woman any reason to hang around long after she's been gone because of your weak attempt to not lose your mind and give her more worry and grief than need be I'll be more than happy to harm you." Liliha's voice was completely level as she spoke, her face turning to look at her daughter and smile pleasantly, making each person see completely different sides of herself. She leaned forward and kissed her daughter on the forehead lovingly.

"I won't have use of you if you're dead, nor will I have use of you if you're mad. If anything, find it in your heart to protect your granddaughter. So, for her sake, set this damn house straight and pull yourself together.... You're also being quite the poor host, arn't you?" She smiled again at Sherene, shifting her legs to bounce the girl in her lap slightly, reassuring her daughter.

Lexiss' eyes flickered from Sherene to Stefan. Lexiss looked truly grim - he also looked vaguely shocked, as if he didn't quite know what to make of the entire situation. So. His wife was dead. That wasn't a horrible dream and his own daughter was treating him more like a... like a... well, not a father, that was for certain. She didn't even seem the least bit upset her own mother was dead.

"At least show some respect and grieve for your mother! She wasn't 'that woman'. And I am your father." It was the only thing he could rightfully reply with.

Her eyes flickered up to Lexiss' face, and she glowered at him viciously. "Yes, she was my mother. And please don't remind me of your relationship with me, father," she spoke his family title with extreme vehemence.

Her distaste was for him was irrational. But it was simply brought to surface in this situation. Her grief was being converted to anger. She refused to grieve or show even the least bit of sadness. Actually, she had reacted very much the same when her children and husband had died.

"Oh! Taima, could you please make us some breakfast?" Her voice raised pleasantly, resting her chin on Sherene's head, making the girl giggle and smile slightly. Sherene didn't know what was going on. All for the better.

"Stefan, what would you like to eat?" Lil asked him. "I'd like my regular, Taima," she smiled at the other woman which was perhaps more unnerving for the demon than her usual anger.

"Liliha, are you.. okay?" Taima asked nervously.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Lil sounded amused. Taima didn't answer - she simply started cooking.

Anonymous

"What?" He shook his head as he stepped away from the comforting shadows around the door. "Oh...er, nothing. I'm fine, thank you."

Taima shrugged and went back to watching the pan. She'd raised her eyebrows fleetingly when she'd seen what he was wearing (still the green robe, and still almost a foot too short for him), but hadn't said a word. She hadn't exactly looked too pleased, mind you, but considering that someone had just died...well, that was only to be expected. Nearly every culture treated death differently, he knew, and none of the ones he'd encountered so far had a habit of being happy about it. He imagined that demons were much the same. If Lexiss was any example, then yes they were.

Sherene peered at him curiously. She still refused to go any nearer, but at least today she wasn't flinching away as though he might attack her. She simply sat and looked at things with a serious expression - smiles or laughing were only for her mother. Lil stroked her hair.

Despite the gentleness of the gesture, despite the smile, despite the small pleasantries that made the hair on his neck prickle with just how unpleasant they felt underneath...despite all that, Lil was still furious. He could see it in the set of her shoulders, in how ramrod straight she was holding her back. If Sherene hadn't been watching...

He didn't want to think about the consequences of that just yet. Suffice to say they'd be messy.

Turning around to look at Lexiss, and the older demon didn't look much better. Slow burning anger. Very slow burning, something solemn that moved more slowly than his grief. Lexiss was a demon, accustomed to measuring time in decades rather than years - it made perfect sense for his temper to be the same.

"Good morning everyone!" Ilo came bounding into the kitchen, still picking stray leaves out of his hair. "What's for breakfast? I'm STARVING!!" And then it hit him - Ilo slowed, stopped, glanced around the room uncertainly for a clue. "Um...is this a bad time?"

Anonymous

"I should notify her family," Lexiss muttered, his eyes lingering on Liliha for a second before he left the room, and some of the tension and magic left the atmosphere. He brushed passed Ilo, head down, shoulders straight, but slightly slouched, as if he bore some heavy weight.

Liliha didn't say a word. She didn't know Avarielle's family - they hadn't wanted much to do with them, considering Avarielle had married a demon and bore him a child. So Lil had no attachment to those people and hardly, if at all, considered them family. At the moment, she could just barely claim that Lexiss held any relation to her. Sometimes, blood was meaningless. It was the ties a person held.

"Are you sure, Stefan? It isn't healthy to skip breakfast," Lil said, her tone still level, but all the signs of anger were there. The room nearly sizzled, and the air nearly popped and crackled with the energy and anger. But that was too be expected.

Sherene watched everything around her - she could feel how angry her mother was, just feel the heat from her skin, and the body signs were notable - she was stiff and unforgivable beneath her - not a very good seat at all. She raised a curious hand, touchin her mother's face, fingertips tracing along her eyebrows and down her cheekbones and trailing back to her mother's ruined ear. Secretly, Sherene felt guilty that her mother had lost her forearm and her ear and a fingeritp, all for her sake. She felt that it was her fault and blamed herself.

Sherene's dark eyes watered slightly as she touched the scar tissue, the missing piece from her ear lobe and along her cartilege. Her hands drifted down to her mother's injured arm, touching the rounded end, remembering the strong arm and hand that had been there. She frowned gently and then grabbed her mother's hand and curled against the comforting body. It was familiar to her - she had heard so many stories, sitting exactly in the same place, along with her brothers. How many times had they sat around the hearth, telling stories, learning their lessons... Of course, that had been before.

"Love, don't worry," Lil murmured, kissing Sherene's cheek. Lil could guess that Sherene was guilty, in the way she touched old scars, the way her eyes watered and how she curled against her, as if asking quietly for forgiveness. Liliha didn't want that, but her child wouldn't talk. It was hard to make someone who wouldn't ask questions understand.

She stroked her daughter's hair and tilted back her head. Her eyes flickered to Ilo.

"Avarielle finally gave up. You know how your people are best," Lil told him flatly, tilting her head slightly, her eyes locking onto Sherene's, searching for some sign her daughter understood. It took a mere moment before her daughter's eyes widened and she started sobbing uncontrollably. Sherene clutched Liliha desperately, burrying her face in her mother's shoulder.

She understood. Lil didn't know if she could bring herself to say that her mother was dead again.

Anonymous

Maybe it was better not to push his luck.

Stefan reached for the nearest basket - there were at least ten of them, hanging on hooks from the low ceiling beams - and pulled out an apple. To keep Lil appeased, given the circumstances...that was important. For the moment, he'd do as he was told.

And with that gesture, the silence began.

He sat down awkwardly as near as he dared - a long way from Ilo, who had suddenly become quite unsettlingly serious and...well, demonic in a much more unnerving way, frowning thoughtfully and standing almost perfectly still - and tried not to make a fool of himself. There was nothing to say. Just Sherene shaking and sobbing brokenly into Lil's shoulder, and Lil leaning back heavily as though she was exhausted.

She probably was, on reflection. If he remembered rightly, Lil hadn't so much as closed her eyes in days.

She should have been the one to go mad. Not Lexiss. She should have been the one to fall apart here...but then, maybe she didn't have the energy for that.

Had it been anyone else, he would have reached for them. Anyone else - family, technically family but too distant to know about - and he would at least have offered the comfort of a warm and living hand. He would have said something and been reassuringly solid, or something of the kind.

But this was Lil, who would not be touched...and Sherene, who could not for fear of the waking nightmares she could never speak about. Between the pair - broken people, both of them - he didn't know what to do.

The silence went on.

Anonymous

Ilo understood the significance of death, especially in his culture. His species wasn't known to be the kindest or most sympathetic, and as such, their compassion extended fiercly to those they loved and considered family. It was what had made the tribes of the Hitu Territory so fierce, and what had made the long-gone clans where, today, kingdoms now stood. It had what held his people together, their love for their families and their willingness to fight tirelessly for their sake. Because, otherwise, there would've been nothing to counter-act their more unsavory sides.

"Taima, let me take over," he murmured to her, gesturing subtly towards Sherene. "Bring her to the pool in Avarielle's garden," he touched his sister lightly on the shoulder, and both of them exchanged certain, knowing looks that only the two of them could fully understand. She nodded and said not a word, quietly talking to Sherene and pulling her away from Liliha.

Lil gave one final kiss to Sherene and gave one final, pleasant smile. "Go see what Grandma Avarielle cared for," she told her daughter gently, holding her hand for a moment before letting go. When Taima and Sherene finally left, Lil's shoulders sagged, almost defeatedly, and she couldonly tilt her head back and stare at the ceiling blankly.

Ilo shuffled around the kitchen, moving with a certain grace her hardly ever exhibited before. He was actually quite skilled at cooking, perhaps even better than Taima, as he began to set out a dish, he set down a glass of water in front of Liliha. While he finished preparing the food, he carefully watched the glass until Liliha picked it up.

She didn't realize until she had a decent mouthful - by then, Ilo's hand clamped firmly over her mouth, sitting on her and pinning her good arm. "Swallow it, Lil!" He said, tilting back her head roughly. Her eyes were wide, both insulted and angry until swallowing it was the only option. Once she did, she almost immediately fell limp and against Ilo.

"Aha, rest easy, ol' girl. A nice sleep potion is just what you needed, right, Lilly?" He murmured, using the forbidden name that only her mother had been allowed to call her by while she was out cold. She breathed easily, quietly and in complete repose.

Ilo slowly stood, shifting her gently off the chair and into his arms. And for such a wirey young man, he was quite strong. He held up one hand to Stefan in a 'hold on' motion and a few short minutes he came back.

"A dysfunctional family, isn't it?" He said, leaning against the door frame for a mere second before returning to his dish. "Nice enough, once you get past it all. Lilly will be able to function more efficiently with good sleep," he said, as if it wasn't obvious enough, and using the term 'Lilly' endearingly. He picked at the food and taking bites, his appetite slowly returning.

He looked a little bemused, this serious Ilo. As if he was thinking about something else.

[i think Liliha needs sleep before she cracks.]

Anonymous

That she most certainly does. I'm still amazed she wasn't outright hallucinating by this point - there are recorded instances of a man who stayed awake for three days (some sort of charity stunt, I believe) and was utterly convinced that every item of clothing he wore was covered in live, crawling tarantulas.

My reaction to learning this interesting little factoid went a bit like this:  :?  ----> :shock:  :shock:  :shock: ------> OHDEARGODNO!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Stefan may not have understood very much about how Ilo's brain worked. He may not have liked Ilo...in fact, he didn't like Ilo, or even trust the demon for as far as he could throw him. He didn't really trust anyone here except for Lil and Sherene, and them only as far as he would trust his own very fallible instincts - there wasn't any room for trust in this situation, here and now in the crush of hunter and hunted. Instead he played it safe, and didn't trust at all.  Nevertheless, he had to admit that what he'd just seen was a very neat trick indeed.

He wouldn't have had the nerve for it, even if Lil did need the rest!

"That", he said fervently, tossing the apple core over his shoulder and into the nearest fireplace (there being no less than three in a kitchen of this size), "deserves some kind of a medal."

Add to that the fact that he wouldn't necessarily have known his way back to Lil's room without getting thoroughly lost at least once, and...well. Thank everything that Ilo had been the one to do it. Ilo would be the one ripped to shreds for the deception when she eventually woke up again.

"Dysfunctional?" He shrugged. "Yes. I was beginning to notice that. As far as I can tell, they'd probably never speak if left to their own devices. Or look at each other."

And that - the not speaking, the icy silence, Lexiss' gradual slide into madness and everything else - would have been all right (possibly not a good thing, but at least all right) if Lil and Sherene between them hadn't been so desperately vulnerable...

He stood up to leave. Sherene was the easiest target - in the circumstances, with no protection to speak of...Lil would kill him and everyone else in this house if anything happened to her daughter.

Anonymous

[haha! that's awesome! well, as long as you're not the person seeing tarantulas crawl all over yourself... otherwise, that'd be a little odd. but i'd love to watch someone who thought that was happening to themself. XDD my reaction was like: "O_O HAHA. AWESOME"]

"You don't seem to have alot of faith in this family," Ilo said before Stefan could escape the kitchen. "Which, I suppose, is well justified, but don't doubt what we'll do to protect eachother from Daruka. We even try to protect eachother from ourselves, but that's a little bit harder," Ilo told him gently, in a tone much more serious than he had ever used with Stefan, the natural harsher undertones, like vague growls and rumbling of an animal, displayed his demonic traits.

"We - me and Taima - were mostly raised here by Lexiss and Avarielle, and we see Liliha as our sister," he continued, not stopping, as if he had to explain something, because he knew how it must look to an outsider, because he knew that this family was not normal, nor were the individuals inside it, "We'd do anything to protect her and her little girl. Sure, at times we fear her, even though we were born in Tijur and are full-blooded Tijur'en, but you haven't even seen her bad side. All you've seen is Liliha trying to cover for grief by turning it into anger," he spoke matter-of-factly, "None of us have seen Liliha really snap, and with that seal undone, and Lexiss being her father, it'd probably be an amazing event." Ilo's hands griped together, almost in anticipation as he liked his lips - he could almost feel her power coursing in her blood now.

"But with some sleep, and being at home," here Ilo stood, turning to Stefan, "and some drink, a little prodding, and a little reminiscing, we'll patch her back up until she comes back, ready to break again." Ilo said, running a hand through his rough, shaggy and course strands.

And that was it. Ilo felt that he had finished his explaination - it probably wasn't necessary, but he felt that Stefan had only a bad opinion of them all; the impressions they had made weren't good and were probably lasting ones. Taima was timid, nosey, and a little interfering who pushed Lil a little to hard. Ilo was constantly changing gears, and intrusive, without any seeming purpose, and just a mess of limbs. Lexiss, at first, was friendly enough, kind even, but one to tease his family, but now he was on the edge of losing his mind. And Liliha... Well, Ilo couldn't be sure with Liliha anymore. She had changed alot - Ilo wanted to think that she was still the person he used to go drinking with, the same girl who would take all the blame whenever he messed up or broke something, and not the bitter, angry, and sad woman she had become. Unfortuantely, he could barely remember Sherene. He had just remembered she was normal, sweet, spoiled, and just like any cheerful little girl with a compassionate nature and just a little shy.

Soon, Ilo hoped, they'd all be fixed. Magic couldn't do it, but maybe if they just loved eachother enough, they'd get better. Maybe, all they needed was alot of time.

Taima had brought Sherene to the pool, holding the young girl's hand gently and pointing at the large fish [almost as big as Sherene sized fish] that swam lazily in the pond. They had long, flaring fins and they were all different colors; some were pale gold, others calico in color, some silver and blue - they were all varied, like some swimming rainbow.

Sherene wiped her faced and sat at the edge, staring into the pond that extended quite the distance to be home to all the fish. And those same fish swam to the surface, poking their mouths out of the water, perhaps hoping for some food as they clustered along the edge where Sherene was. Slowly, mystified, she stuck her hand into the pool, her fingers touching along smooth, wet scales, but the fish did not move away.

"The one fish in here is almost as old as your mom. She's all the way over there," Taima leaned down to Sherene, murmuring as she pointed to a large fish with scales that shimmered the different colors of the sunset. The fish was nearly six foot in length, swimming lazily towards them, as if it had all the time in the world. With ease and grace, it pushed between them and nuzzled into Sherene's hand.

"Your grandfather made the garden for Avarielle, but she shared it with me, Ilo, and Liliha when we were little and needed to be calmed down. She show us the fish, and Liliha decided that she wanted to have a specific fish friend. So your mom would come down here and feed her all the time," Taima said, hoping just to make the girl smile - or something. It broke her heart to see her so... sad.

"You know, everyone's here. They're always around. Your father, brothers, and your grandma, too. You just have to remember them. They'll protect you two," Taima added, kissing Sherene on the top of her head and leaning back into the lush grass of the garden, sticking her feet into the pond. Sherene mimicked Taima and giggled when the big, sunset fish swam between her legs, the other fish nibbling on her toes or sucking on her skin.

It was so peaceful, Sherene felt she could almost forget everything - but she didn't want to forget. She was still mulling over what Taima had said to her, still thinking about it. Was that true? Were they all there? She leaned forward and touched the fish again - were fish supposed to be this friendly? Like dogs, almost?

Anonymous

"I don't doubt that." Stefan turned on his heel, studying Ilo closely. "Family ties are strong, I know. Everything about the way my...well, my people, everything about how we live is built on them. Every single thing."

What Ilo didn't know - what Stefan had no plans to tell him - was that, in a sense, Lil and Sherene were family now.

Lil had begun it. When she'd asked him to stay with her, all the way back in Ketra, that had been the beginning of it. To live even for a single night under the roof of another person was a binding arrangement. A temporary arrangement, that was true, but it carried more weight than he knew how to express. As a guest, you could not be touched - to harm a guest was dishonourable, was unthinkable - but at the same time, your host was your brother, your sister in a different form. They were family without blood.

To harm them, or allow harm to come to them...that was the lowest thing there was. You could die for that. You would die for that; they would cut out your tongue that did not warn, shatter the hands that refused to fight, slice along your stomach too shallow to kill and leave you to bleed until the death you had somehow avoided.

That was the law. That was beyond law, because law was written and this...this was simply known.

He hadn't meant for any of this to happen. He'd meant only to stay for the single night, thank Lil quietly and go on his way, having done his part for their safety whether they knew it or not. He hadn't brought it up, knowing that he'd be gone by morning and the world could continue as it was. They didn't need to know.

And then Daruka. Blasted Daruka. Blasted Daruka and his blasted servants, and blasted Elias working for Daruka and looking after his family and doing what Stefan knew - he knew! - would always be right.

"It's...more complicated than you think."

And brother shall deliver the brother to death...

That was the end of it. Stefan walked out, and did not look at Ilo again.

Anonymous

Ilo watched Stefan just as closely as Stefan had watched him. Things were always complicated, weren't they? Ilo was beginning to wonder if it was something about this house - or maybe this family just attracted trouble or complicated people. He wouldn't doubt it, and as he thought more about it, he just shook his head and sat down. It was a shame, really, that Stefan was caught up in it - caught up in this mess. Of course, Ilo had no way of knowing Stefan's customs about temporary blood ties. Where Ilo had been born, family was extremely important - only because of the fact that for survival, everyone in the family had to fight and work and care for everything that the family owned. Mostly because his family had been nomadic,  but because their very life depended on someone else in their family. Guests in Hitu were rare - people didn't venture out to the harsh lands for no reason. Perhaps Hitu people were suspicious of those that came so close, but they weren't unfriendly, exactly, but they'd certainly murder you the moment you exposed your true self.

Hosts and guests were unimportant. What was important was what you needed to protect, and that was all that mattered.

At the moment, Ilo needed to protect the people in this house. He had no ties to Stefan, of course, but Liliha certainly did, and if that woman wasn't awake it was his job to do what she would've done. For Liliha's sake and no one else's.

Liliha was an insomniac because she had nightmares. All the time - guaranteed. She did her best not to sleep, and she did her best to function normally while completely awake. Secretly, she knew that it was simply a faster method to drive herself into the ground and slowly break herself. She just didn't want to admit it; admit that she needed sleep or rest of any kind. And she didn't want to admit that the reason she couldn't sleep at night was because she saw her dead sons burnt into the backs of her eyelids.

Different things, different nightmares, the same deaths and the same condemning words - all blaming herself. She struggled in her sheets, gripping at her arm that pained her even now, trying to hide from what was in her head, from an entirely different kind of demon. Lil didn't know it, but there tears streaming down her face, and there was someone watching her; protectively, as any father should.

"We're both wrong," he murmured as he rested his hand on Lil's forehead, gently as magic traced along his fingers and into her head, taking away her nightmares - at least for now. He let go of her, kissed her on the cheek, and sat heavily in a chair. Sometimes, he couldn't tell if he was coming or going and he couldn't make heads or tails of anyone in the house anymore, let alone Liliha.

Sherene touched her throat, tracing fingers along her neck and up to her lips - words didn't come out anymore. It wasn't a conscious effort, it was just... it was hard to talk. Her throat went dry, and she felt sick. Her mother once told her to 'take her time', but how could she take her time when her own mother was sad, even in pain, that Sherene didn't talk?

Her arms twisted around herself, hugging herself as she suddenly felt cold, pulling her feet out of the water and tucking them up to herself. She glanced at Taima who had fallen asleep in the sun. She realized just how tired Taima was - she wondered if she had been awake all night too, just like grandpa and just like mom?

Anonymous

Sherene had one hand curled tightly, almost protectively, around herself. The other hand trailed loosely in the water of the pond, wavering on the back of an enormous fish with a scale for every mood of the sky. Her feet were damp, and folded under her skirt to keep warm, but the hand remained, stroking the sunset fish like it was a blanket or a favourite doll.  She looked distant (even for her) and as he sat down, Stefan noticed how she chewed constantly on her bottom lip.

He curled one arm loosely over his knees, a bigger, lankier version of this silent little girl. He glanced over at Taima questioningly, but the demon woman's eyes were closed and her breast rose and fell to the slow rhythm of her breathing. One slack hand tightened reflexively on a clump of grass, and she coughed into her throat without stirring.

"Do you remember me?" He spoke softly without ever deciding that he should.

Maybe she did. Maybe she didn't. Stefan had no idea what to do with her. She wasn't a little girl anymore - had she been his sister (who was only a little older) or his niece, as the humans called it, she would have been out all day in the mountains by herself, minding the goats whose milk and hair (woven into cloth) they sometimes traded. She would have been minding little ones, cubs too small to be left by themselves in case they tumbled into the fire. She would already know and probably be able to recite her lineage back to the eighth or ninth grandfather and grandmother on both sides; this was an important skill when your family was your strongest protection. She would have known all of that, would have been learning the first of the songs - Garou did not, on the whole, write anything of themselves - and the symbols painted onto rocks with blood and charcoal and clay. Had she been anyone but Sherene, she wouldn't be allowed to cling to her mother any more.

But when it came to Sherene...he simply didn't know.

Even as he talked to her, Stefan kept one eye focussed entirely on what was going on elsewhere. Taima was still sleeping, and someone had to keep the watch.

Anonymous

Her fingers trailed in the water, creating ripples that stretched outwards in rings and she watched without seeing - simply doing whatever her body felt of its own accord. But she was soon startled out of this simple thing by Stefan; her body tensed, her head jerked slightly, having been completely unaware of him, but as soon as she saw him, she eased, turning back to the water.

Sherene remotely did what she had been taught as a child. She had done her part ever since she was capable. She had helped with the animals, the farming, the gardens, keeping of the house, cooking, and even the more unfavorable jobs of helping with butchering [she had cried every time] and the like. But she immediately put her life on hold. She didn't want to believe that those deaths were real, and she didn't want to believe her mother was so badly injured because of her.

His unsure inquiry forced her to look at him, turn slightly with her distant, beseeching eyes. They were dark and round, wide with an unspeakable curiousity and profound void. Her head inclined slightly, showing to him she did remember him - he was not a stranger. He was associated with her mother and her mother trusted him, even she could sense that. That was something that was enough for Sherene.

She turned back to the pond, pointing at the glimmering fish that swam languidly beneath the surface. As if he couldn't seem them already - she was simply emphasizing her interest in them and showing them. It was with her silence that she showed her compliments and slight affection of them - she had no other way.

She leaned down, touching the smooth scales. The fish swam by in a glitter of color - they made all sorts of shimmering rainbows, vibrant and ranging. In all honesty, Sherene hadn't known that such colors even existed, let alone witness them on such spectacular fish before.

Carefully, she glanced back to Stephan at her side, head tilted back to look at him. She shyly observed him, leaning away slightly, as if unsure without the constant presence and warmth of Lil. A hand came up to brush back her blonde waves, studying him soundlessly.

[i originally didn't mean for 'i'll do it later' to turn into a few -days- later. sorry! ><]

Anonymous

Bloody sodding buggering HELL!  :oops:

Sorry Emoosts! The only explanation I can offer is uni eating my life - I've been living away from home for three months, finally done my exams and moved back with my family for the holidays yesterday...so I've finally got time to do you justice. I'll try not to let it slide again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good." He moved forward to kneel closer beside her, but his fingers never touched anything that wasn't air. "Good."

It really was a beautiful fish. It would have been a shame to eat it, or indeed any of them (they seemed more scales and bones than fish, even though the smallest one of all was still almost as long as his arm) but then, perhaps it wasn't there to be eaten. Some people kept fish like they might keep paintings or statues, as decoration. Strange habit, that.

He reached down cautiously and ran the tip of his index finger along the smooth blue-peachy fin that sprouted from its back. Mouthing lazily up at them, the fish spat out a particularly fat silver bubble.

"Sherene?" He reached forward with the other hand, not knowing if she would allow this. Maybe she would shy away...she certainly had horse's eyes. Dark and soft and always, always afraid. Gently, he tilted her chin up, but took his hand away again almost immediately. "Sherene..." he sighed.

What now?

She was staring at him, her mouth pulled into a thin line.

"I need you to do something for me. If you see someone who looks like me and isn't...if you see him or you hear something that isn't right, something you don't recognise, you come straight to me. Or Lil. Whichever one you find first." He stroked the fish absently, breathing in as deeply as he could.

Nothing. Good.

Only sun on the water and wet, sleek fish, and grass. And Sherene who, like all people, was more complex than you'd ever think was possible. Saying that she smelt like 'Sherene' was like saying that she looked like a pinkish, brownish, yellowish oddly coloured lump with legs on the bottom. It might have been true, but it was a long way from being accurate.

Honey - she smelt like honey, and water and smooth river stones and that weirdly enormous flower right in the very farthest corner of Lexiss' garden near the back door, the one that dropped thick clouds of pollen for a good two feet in every direction. She must have brushed past it. The same rough, ash-smelling soap that Lil used, hovering around the top of her head and in her hair. There was dust on her feet, and the dye in her skirt and a different dye in her shirt, and the clean, faintly greasy scent of old, coarse wool. A child smell, not a woman smell - adults were earthy, richer like sweat and leather and wood. He'd always struggled to explain how he saw colours in the air - after all, he couldn't see them on the ground, not like others did - but adults were usually dark, every bit as much as Sherene was light blue. Women always had blood in the creases of their fingernails, the hollow beneath their shoulderblade, the curve of their neck; it fell into skin and wrapped close around them like a cloak.  

It was a good idea to learn her. Just in case.

Anonymous

ooc: Don't worry about it at all! I disappear on you all the time with little more than a excuse of an 'I'm lazy' ><

Sherene, just like the good girl she was, nodded at him. She understood what he was saying - she knew something bad was going on. She didn't quite understand what or why but it caused panic, an undeniable, warm panic to curl underneath her breastbone. It wouldn't go away, simply knotted there, hooking into her heart and holding on for dear life. It brought back the days of her brothers and father - the haunting smell of blood, of limbs and bone and lifeless eyes and red. The color red, everywhere.

She slowly turned her head away, rubbing her face, rubbing her eyes, her lips quivering for a half second before she bit it slightly. She leaned down, her fingers gliding across the water, gliding against the scales of a fish. Sunsets, blues and purples - colors you'd only imagine in rainbows and paintings were marked forever on these fish. They swam with ease and grace, demanding attention and company. They were more like pets than decoration or even fish.

Taima sat up, rubbing her face. She looked guilty and glanced away, biting her lower lip. Her hands combed through her wild hair as she pressed her feet together, arms crossing over her chest.

"I wonder how its possible to end this all," Taima murmured quietly. "He has to be stopped, that's for certain, but where is he?" She hesitated, thinking of a place where he could be. In all honesty, she hoped he wasn't there in that other world. He'd be increasingly hard to reach if he was.

Anonymous

Stefan shifted awkwardly, and his eyes flicked over to Taima for a brief moment.

Guilty, guilty woman. She was gnawing down on her lip so hard it nearly bled. She wouldn't look at anyone. She was fidgeting, twining her long fingers around each other in a constant series of knots. Since coming here, Stefan had found that he was nowhere near as adept at knowing demons as he was with humans - he even found Lil difficult, and the only reason he could follow her at all was the sticky humanity that lay hot and uneasy beside her snakeskin-dust-bare-rock-smelling demonic self - but with Taima...no.

The look on her face would have done it. Guilty. Guilty as all the sins of the world.

There was more here than Taima was telling.

"Whatever you know," he told her softly, pushing his weight back until he was light on the balls of his feet. He stood and padded around easily until he was behind her, close and warm against the knobbly lumps of her spine. He dropped his mouth down until it was nearly touching her ear. This was not for Sherene to hear. "Whatever you know, I need to know."

Elias was very nearly a match for him - a fraction shorter, though there was never even the length of a milk tooth to separate them, possibly still a little heavier even so many years away - but apart from that he was the giant of the family.  Bigger than Ojciec . Bigger than his brothers, Elias apart. Bigger than any uncles or cousins, even Franciszek who could pass for a small bear if he went unshaven.

Matka had had two strapping great lumps for her sons...and if he remembered rightly, she could never decide whether it was better to kiss them or kill them.  

Stefan smiled quietly to himself.

Making sure Taima knew about this small fact couldn't do any harm.

"I promised I'd protect them, just as you have. Ignorance won't help...and, much as I hate to mention it, the other outcome fits quite nicely into 'rocks fall, everybody dies'."

Anonymous

"I heard he was kin, is that right? Are you sure you want to do this? As angry and impossible as she can be, she'll understand if you leave. I'm sure we can work you out of this situation," Taima murmured, her back rigid with him so close, a muscle in her cheek twitching.

"You don't belong in this," she whispered, her eyes flickering over to Sherene. She wondered how much the girl could hear - how much power she had inherited from Liliha and her family, and how much of it was awake in her veins. Taima pressed a hand against her face, testing the points against the soft skin of her face -just enough to hurt, but not enough to draw blood.

Ilo felt as tired as everyone else in the house. It was hard, draining them all of energy. Lexiss was incredibly useless, incredibly weak -he grimaced as he thought about Liliha. When they had been growing up, Liliha, him and Taima. They were adventurous, always getting into trouble, into the crevices of the world and wreaking havoc where ever they went. When Avarielle had too much of them she cast them outside, knowing Liliha would soil her dress with the floor of the forest and Taima would get fed up with trying to keep him and Liliha in line and Liliha would get angry at being babied. Ilo would eventually bring them to some great place and him and Liliha would do something dangerous -maybe jump off a cliff into some water and someone would wind up with a broken arm. Usually, it was Lil who was wounded. They'd whimper home and Liliha would take all the blame, saying it was she who dragged Ilo and it was her idea when it had been Ilo's.

As they were growing up, it had been Lil to take the blame and the brunt of it all. Ilo remembered looking up to her. She had been smaller and slender, girlish and soft and human and warm and stupidly motherly -he remembered her always taking care of him and Taima. She had never really changed but she had, and the only reason she kept at it was because of Sherene. And that was the most depressing thought -the only reason she lived was for the sake of her daughter. She wasn't living for herself anymore. She was turning into nothing. He felt so tired. He felt so tired that his 'mother' died -such a beautiful and loving woman. A heart so filled with them. And she hated how the strongest man he had ever known was dwindling away to nothing. He wondered if they'd just all fall apart and never be fixed again.

Lil as temporarily locked in that place she hated most. That place in her mind where she couldn't escape that day. She hated how she was forever caught in those memories, how her life seemed to focus around that. She couldn't climb over it, she couldn't move through it, and she couldn't dive under it. It repeated around her endlessly, echoing in her mind, painted on the backs of her eyes. She wondered if those memories would erase her, leaving themselves imprinted on her forever where she would simply act accordingly, in fear she'd lose it all, in fear that everything she held so dear would simply disappear, simply fade.

Sherene wanted the thing any child in her position would want -normalcy. She wanted her mother and father and brothers. She wanted that stupid little farm with cows and horses and chickens and pigs. She wanted those gardens and crops and she wanted that quaint little house and her father's rough hands to lift her up and her father's voice to sing those songs that he made up on the fly. She wanted her brothers to boast about how much fish they caught and fight over the last piece of chicken in the bowl. She wanted it so much it hurt. She wanted it to stop, this hurting. And she wanted to speak, to tell her mother that she loved her even though she didn't have too.

She hated her reflection in the water, how it laid over top the rainbow fish.