Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sunny morning

Started by Anonymous, November 13, 2006, 08:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was the asscrack of dawn, and Taurus had been woken by the shrill wails of the infant. He had no name for her. 'Baby', 'brat', 'noisy, smelly burden', they all seemed to suffice just fine in the place of a proper name. Something he had to find out soon enough, otherwise he'd never be able to find the kid's parents and be rid of her at last. All he had to go on was a birthmark in the shape of a serpent on her right forearm, which wasn't much, considering. He couldn't just go around towns asking 'Hey, anyone missing a baby with a snake on it's arm?' Even with his limited knowledge of things outside of goring matadors, the Minotaur knew enough that things like that just weren't done.

However, the birthmark did spell out all kinds of Mythic. With extra Myth. He wouldn't be surprised if he found a legendary sword or book of spells to go with the baby like some sort of horribly conventional accessory. A crown would be even more predictable. And if a prince charming got thrown into the mix, Taurus would be sure to send him on his merry way with a good hoof-to-the-fracas.

Still, it was early, and judging by the smell it was time to make use of that stream they were camping by to clean her rags and give her fresh ones.

Taurus had learned a lot about human babies over the past few months, like what they ate and how it smelled afterwards. This infant was moving from goat's milk to various steamed and mashed root vegatables the Minotaur dug up. He was good at getting food for the two of them, and he had become rather partial to cabbage and artichokes steamed in garlic. (On his travels, a human mother had taken pity on the unexpected caretaker of a child, and taught him the basics of cooking. Taurus had proved quite adept at it, and decided firmly once he found this child's parents and he was free to live among the humans, he'd open a restaurant).

The wailing had stopped when Taurus removed the soiled rag, cleaned the squirming baby with a damp one, and tied on a fresh piece of cloth. He could hear the chatter of birdsong not far off, and twitched his ears in the direction most of it was coming from. It could easily be the calls of hunters.

No. Just birdsong. He returned his attention to the child, finding it difficult to be enamoured with the music of nature when the lyrics went along the lines of 'this is my tree! Go find your own!', 'guard the eggs, the falcon's back!', or 'Have sex with me! I can fan my tail out this far!'

Not much different from human songs for that matter. Just more to the point.

"Smelly thing." He griped, letting her wrap her tiny hands around his massive, clawed index finger. She gurgled and blew spittle bubbles to voice her approval, and Taurus sighed. The rags could wait a bit to be washed.[/i]

Anonymous

The mornings dew hung softly from the strands of her hair as the elf watched the sun rise slowly, raising her head with it and breathing in deeply; Another day, Another day stuck in these woods. Dana sighed in frustration. Shaking her head the droplets of water flew out in all directions as she travelled forward into the undergrowth, every tree looking the same as the other.

"Last time i stop an old beggar for directions." She grumbled to herself silently, wincing as her uncovered legs became scratched from the surrounding brambles. Seething softly she trudged on, aware that the birds had awoken in a flurry of song. The elf sighed; if the old prophecy was right, she'd gain her wings in time. But until then, her feet remained sore and muscles tired from walking the great distance from her home land to these god forsaken woods.

"....?" Danas pointed ears twitched as she heard the sound of a babys cry, followed by a soft gurgling. Intrigued by this she stealthily followed the sound until she came across the source; a small child, playing with a Minotaur??!!
Confused and some what alarmed she waited and watched.

((occ: sorry, bad ending bt am laaattee!))[/i]

Anonymous

When he was sure the child was quite done using his finger as a chew toy, the creature scooped the baby up and rose to his full height, snorting a little in annoyance. He tucked the freshly changed infant into the leather carry-on, lined with rabbit fur and various clean bits of cloth for cushioning. When he was satisfied she was tucked in and not about to crawl off anywhere he got down to cleaning the soiled rags in the stream.

He was in a bad mood. He'd hoped to have gotten more sleep, but no. He'd have to find a farm, preferably one with a goat that gave milk. And a place to graze. The Minotaur was rather hungry and one of his stomachs gave an unpleasant growl.

When the rags were cleaned, he gathered up his belongings. Various packs, canteens and leather milk bladders. Most importantly however was a blue pendant, the cord of which he wound tightly around his forearm. The carry-on with the baby followed, strapped to his back, and finally, the massive cleaver. It didn't have much of an edge to it, but the intended purpose was to break through stone, not perform surgery.

The beast seemed about ready to get moving when he paused, rounding on the bushes where he was sure there was some kind of animal or worse... something humanoid.

Yellow eyes glared in the general direction of Dana, his blue nostrils flaring. He must have smelled her, or at least something unusual.

"What's in there?" His voice was a low growl, and the cleaver had been raised.

Anonymous

"...Damn."
Dana thought as she watched the Minotaur suddenly raise his cleaver and watch the bushes a foot to her left.
"Double damn."
She was well and truly screwed. She couldn't move because it would give herself away, but she couldn't stay here either because the creature looked slightly peeved and slash happy...she had grown quite attatched to her head after all these years.
The elf thought quickly and came up with the only solution to her problem.

"...Meaow?"

Anonymous

The creature frowned. Cats.

He'd never liked the things. They always seemed to get on his nerves.

Crouching, he picked up a small pebble and chucked into the shrubbery with an angry snarl.

"Scat!" He hissed through gritted teeth. The creature seemed reluctant to kill unnessisarily, but there was something about the way he hefted the cleaver that suggested he was more than capable and willing to defend himself.

It didn't help that the forest made him feel paranoid.

Anonymous

Dana breathed in sharply, cursing under her breath as the pebble careered straight into her leg. She scowled at the creature, wishing that she didn't have to do this. To lower herself to that level; but what choice did she have?
"...Fine..." The elf muttered softly, blinking twice and placing a finger gently on her forehead. With another blink her eyes flickered to yellow and her hair quickly changed from blue to white starting at the roots.
The bushes rustled softly as she stepped forward, not as an elf, but as a pure white cat.
Thinking dismally, "Goddess forgive me...i'm never gonna live this down." she pitifully 'meaow-ed' again, trotting over to the beast and rubbing herself along his leg.

Anonymous

The creature scowled, nudging the the cat away none-too-nicely with his cloved hoof.

"Didn't I tell you to scram?" He snapped, glaring into those big, soulfull kitty eyes. "I'm not your mother, and I don't need another mouth to feed." He said firmly, but there was little conviction. His will was, to be honest, quite weak when it came to these matters.

Anonymous

She scowled, which on a cat look quite bizarre, as she was unceremoniously nudged aside. The cat meaowed again softly, batting her eyelashes innocently at Taurus as she eyed the baby cautiously, wondering what on earth he was doing with a babe so young.
"Maybe he found it....or stole it....or worse...."
Dana quizzically mused as she continued to 'flirt' with the creature, still aware that he could crush her in an instant.

((occ: where shall we go with this?  :) ))

Anonymous

The creature gave a resigned sigh. He could fling boulders as if they were pebbles and had cleaved many a criminal in two, but there were some things even the stubborn bull would yeild to.

"Oh fine. Don't look at me in that tone of voice. I'll find you a decent home in the nearest village, and that's it!" He crouched, holding out a clawed hand. "After that, it's no more mister nice bull. I'm sure there's a farmer that could do with a decent rat catcher."

((OOC: He's a softy underneath all that grump XD He can't deny cute, fluffy things.))

Anonymous

The elf felt slightly offended at the thought of becoming a farmers rat catcher, and grumbled in a purr as she nimbly clambered into the minotaurs outstretched hand.
"I suppose i'm stuck like this...for now..."
She thought dismally as she quickly settled herself on his shoulder. Dana peered over her shoulder at the babe and meaowed again, twitching her tail over it to give her something to amuse her.
There were so many things she wanted to ask the creature, but she would risk showing who she was; something she couldn't reveal to him yet.
So, she was resigned to purr at him in a 'cutesy fluffy' way.

Anonymous

Taurus was sticking close to the stream. He had come to the conclusion that water, for the most part, usually led to some town or another. When he started getting a scent of humans, he'd put on the pendant and disguise himself. After all, the last thing he needed was angry men with pitchforks chasing after him.

Giving the cat an absentminded scratch behind the ears,  and heaved a heavy sigh.

...and paused.

What was that smell? He peered at the cat, perplexed. It didn't smell like a cat. It smelled... well. Weird.

"You... aren't a cat." He stated, mouth curving into a frown. "What are you?" He asked, half expecting to get an answer.

Anonymous

Dana sighed blissfully as she was scratched, thinking leisurely that she could get used to it. Suddenly she started spluttering at the revelaation that she was not what she seemed, and meaowed in nervousness as she tried frantically to convince him that she was indeed a cat. The look on Taurus's face said it all and she sighed defeated. Clambering down his arm she had accepted the fact that she would now be flattened quite soundly by his large hoof, so se sat quite still infront of him, only her tail flicking side to side aggitatedly.

"No...i'm not." She spoke softly, the words sounding strange coming from a feline. Dana waited on his judgement, waiting for any more questions before she showed her true form.

Anonymous

"I see." He said slowly, scratching his wild, reddish brown hair.

He considered this and vaguely wondered what kind of cat-shaped creature she was. Surely not a lion. He'd seen lions, usually half-starved and mad from being caged all the time devouring a criminal or 'heretic' alive. She wasn't a lion.

"You must be a tiger then. Or a bob cat." He arrived at the conclusion in a matter-of-fact voice. There was no accusing tone or anger. He had never seen a tiger or a bob cat before. He assumed they were cats that could talk.

Anonymous

"It would be so simple to say yes. Dana thought as she toyed with the idea of her new status. Another thought popped into her head, where upon arriving in town she would surely be exposed as mearly a cat; then where would that leave her?

"I am neither." She replied simply, her tail twitching as her fur stood on end. Emitting a low purring sound, her yellow cat shaped eyes began to flicker until they had changed to a deep shade of blue, she straightened up as her body grew in size and posture, the fur shrinking back from her body to leave pearlescent white skin. Her paws too began morphing into hands and feet, her cat ears becoming pointed and elf like, her hair grew into its normal brown boy-ish bob as she tugged at her clothes absentmindedly. The elf Dana stood at 5' 3" and was quite skinny for her size, although she retained her curves. Her clothes were made up off a pair of black shorts, black soft leather shoes and a white cropped top that showed off the perculiar blue markings along her stomach. In each ear she wore three silver hoops, a silver cuff on the right as bangles of various colours adorned her wrists and left ankle.
She looked at Tauros, her eyes set on his as she prepared herself.
"My name is Dana Aeras. I am an Elf Elemental."

Anonymous

Startled, the minotaur's hand flew to the hilt of the cleaver when the cat turned into a human.

He relaxed however, when she explained what she was.

"An elf elemental," he repeated, his brow furrowing and one claw scratching at his chin. "Is that a type of cat that can turn into a human?" He had never heard of an elf before. And he had heard stories of foxes and racoons that could change their shape. Perhaps this cat was like them?

Anonymous

Dana blinked at him, slightly suprised at his conclusion. Smiling softly at him she crossed her arms and chuckled,
"Think of it the other way round; A human who can turn into a cat. Although i'm not a human, but an elf."
She tried to explain, but it wasn't one of her strongest points.
"You're a Minotaur, correct?"

((OCC: sorry for the late reply! my internets been really crappy!!))

Anonymous

The beast's brow was knit in confusion. She was an elf that could turn into a cat and elves were like humans except not. He didn't understand it, and he didn't like it, because he wasn't particularly fond of anything  that walked around on two legs.

"Hnmph." Was his reply to that. "I don't like humans very much. Better run along or I'll have you for breakfast or something." He huffed, beginning to plod along again.

((Don't worry about it :3 My net back home was on the fritz as well.))