Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A fall and a forest

Started by Anonymous, January 06, 2007, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The sky seemed to be flying away from him, the clouds becoming smaller and smaller.  Even the sun looked as though it were shrinking in the sky.  Wind rushed up, tossing the Ranger's raven black hair around his face.  There was nothing to hear but the roaring of the wind around him.  Nothing to hear, not even his own cry for help as he feel from the cliff to what had to be certain death.  When his voice ran harsh, no longer able to scream, Pol fell silently, simply looking over the faces of his family whom he'd never see again.  He wanted so desperately to reach and hold his wife's face in his hand, just once more.  To feel her lips upon his own, to make love with her just once more.  Tears flew away from the half wolf as he raced towards death.  Never again would he she his beloved Ireland or Issryn.  He would not see them grown and marry and have children of their own.  He'd never be able to  hold his grandchild in his arms.

A small dot appeared in the sky above him, but it did not shrink and disappear as it should have.  It grew larger and larger, slowly taking the form of the woman he'd set out with, Kythe.  She grabbed hold him him, her wings flared in a futile effort to lift the two of them up.  Pol wanted to cry out to leave him and save herself, he wanted to tell her to look after his family, but his voice was long gone, and Kythe did not leave.  The woman grasped tightly onto his arm, and looked him in the eye for but a moment.  Then the world burst into light.

Golden eyes fluttered open, the white, now a strange red color as if he'd woken up only after a couple hours sleep.  His body ached as he tried to rise to his feet, but all it did was force pain through his whole body before he once again fell to the ground.  He reached up suddenly to his shoulder, probing gently.  But there was no arrow or even a wound as there should have been.  He'd been shot, and almost died, but saved by...Kythe.  Memories flooded through his brain, each something of Kythe.

Forcing himself to ignore the immense pain he was in he rose to his feet and looked around desperately for the woman who had saved his life.  It was suddenly clear he was in a forest, the smells were all very similar to the Eastern Forest of Minya Amar on DaeLuin, but there was no doubt in his mind that he was anywhere near DaeLuin.  But by all the Gods, where was he?  Being in an unfamiliar forest touched his nerves, there could be anything or anyone around him, and at the moment he was in no shape to fight.

Shit, where in all the hells am I?!  When you were lost you stayed put, but this was different, he wasn't lost somewhere near home, he was lost in some other world.  With little other choice, Pol bent to pick up a long broken branch.  He pulled out her ceremonial dagger and shaved it down a bit, removed twigs and frayed ends, until he had a suitable walking staff.  Choosing at random, he set out east, hoping that he'd find Kythe, or baring that someone who was friendly.  He was in no mood to kill, but if someone saw fit to anger him, he might just do his best.

And it had started out such a wonderful day.[/i]

Anonymous

A pair of bright green eyes lazily opened, the green obvious in contrast to the darkness around them. And then, the green eyes moved upwards, and a bit of light hit them. The pair of eyes were connected to a head, and a body. The body was black, and powerful. The slightest movement caused the muscles beneath the sleek, black fur to ripple. The great jaw of the creature opened, and rows of white teeth flashed into view. A panther. The feline shifted a bit along the branch, one of the black ears twitching as a tail wagged gently back and forth.

A crunch of leaves had reached her ears. She sniffed. Something that wasn’t entirely animal. Entirely. With a simple push of her feet, she landed on the ground perfectly on four feet. There, the feline stretched out, flexing her muscles and scrapping at the dirt with her claws. What sort of silly human would be walking through the forest? Or, human-like. She could tell this person wasn’t entirely human.

She began to leisurely walk in the direction of the footsteps, before she finally saw the shadow of a man. She walked over to a tree, and climbed up to rest along a branch. As he continued, she jumped to the next tree, and the next, and continued to follow him. Should she give him a scare? The idea made a laugh echo in her head. The black feline jumped through the trees ahead of the man, and when she had gotten a good few feet in front of him, she jumped down from the tree into the center of his path.

The black panther stood there, emerald eyes flickering. There was an intelligence in those eyes that was clearly human. The question was, however, was this an extremely intelligent cat, or a human in a cat’s body? The panther began to move back and forth in the center of the man’s path, the strength of the animal obvious in each of her steps, in every movement she made.

Was she there to harm, or help?

Anonymous

The sun light dripped softly through the tangled branches, leaves, and pine needles, as water might flow through a bed of sand.  As the sun's precious rays dribbled down from its place in the sky, a web of shadow formed across the ground of the alien forest, so like the web of a spider, Pol would have sworn it was on if he hadn't known the truth.  A light breeze caused the great pines and oaks to sway in an almost dance like motion, showering the world below their branches with their leaves and needles.  The rain of the forest was nothing new to the Ranger, in fact it was a strangely comforting to know that there was something familiar in a world where he knew no one.  No one besides Kythe.

The half wolf's memory was still fuzzy, he remembered the fall as clearly as he remembered waking up a moment ago.  But beyond that, the only clear thing was Kythe.  They'd known each other for years, over a century in fact, and had grown very close in that time.  Other then that, he did not know much about his life before.  He could feel the wolf inside him and that brought him knowledge of his mother and father, and the fact that he was a half wolf.  Memories of two daughters and a wife.  Their faces, and memories of them, were just out of reach, and every time he tried to reach out it was like grasping at a wisp of smoke.  Single words ran through his mind, each carrying a meaning that was beyond the knowledge of the half wolf.  Guardian, DaeLuin, Harion, Shira...

As he walked slowly forward, leaning heavily on his improvised walking staff, the stiff muscles that lay just below his skin loosened with each stride.  Pol was not an overly powerful individual but centuries of swordplay and archery honed his muscles into toned powerful work horses.  His breathing progressively became easier, and all his senses seemed to sharpen.  It was then that his ears picked up the sound of himself walking, something he would never have allowed back Before.  Immediately the Ranger forced himself to walk silently, so not a single step broke a twig or crunched a leaf.

He froze, for just a second, as the scent wafted past his nose.  It was familiar, and it sparked something akin to anger in the wolf, just as it would have in any other canine.  The smell of a feline filled the air as the wolf walked slowly through the forest.  He knew that smell, he'd smelt it before, the smell of a panther.  Why did he want to call it Kaja? No, not time for that, panthers are deadly, he must be on his guard.  A soft rustling of leaves drew his eyes above and ahead of him.  The black form in the tree above him dropped to the ground as the panther stared at him, its eyes boring into his own.

There was an intelligence in those eyes, and the faint smell of something besides panther, possibly human, in its scent.  Pol shifted his grip on his walking staff so he might use it as a weapon if he needed to.  His golden eyes locked onto the panthers.

Now listen, Kaja, I have no time for you, my head is pounding, I'm not in the mood to fight.

Anonymous

Kaja? Why was he calling her such a thing? Was it what panther was called in some foreign language? Was he mistaking her for someone else? She wished to communicate with him, but that required her to shift her shape, and that created a problem for two different reasons. One, she hadn’t shifted into human form for many years. Something about it made her feel weak. She wasn’t even sure she could switch back into a human. Second, she had no clothing with her. If she were able to shift back into a human, she would be standing before this stranger with no clothing.

So, in response to him, she took a few steps forward with her head cocked to the side, tail swaying gently behind her. There was no hostile air about her, deciding that it would be a waste of time to fight him. When she got close enough, a few feet from where he stood, she sniffed, before sneezing. What animal was that? He wasn’t all human, that much she could tell.

If he didn’t attack her, or move away from her, she would lift a heavy paw and place it on his toe, lifting her head up to look at him with those bright green eyes. She noticed his were golden. That certainly wasn’t a usual color for humans. She sniffed again, leaning her head forward to butt her nose against his thigh. After she had done this, her black form jumped backwards. The movements of the panther were graceful, and there was a deadly air about them. In an instant she could turn hostile and he would no doubt be injured. But, there was still a bit of human somewhere inside of her, a compassionate human that would hate to hurt a man that didn’t deserve to be injured.

After watching him a moment, she sat down in the middle of his path, clawing at the dirt between them. How would she communicate with this man? All she could do was growl, roar, and purr. That wouldn’t do them a lot of good. Times like these were times when she wished still shifted into human form, but she knew it was for the better.

Anonymous

Kaja?  What in the name of all the Gods was a Kaja?  Why had he called the panther that?  It sounded like a proper name to him, not something one would call an animal, unless of course it was that animals name.  Had he known a panther named Kaja before the fall?  His hands went to his head as his brain seemed to pound inside his skull.  Despite the great walk he'd just had, much of his muscles were still sore and tense, and the walk had done nothing to help his pounding head, if anything it had made it worse.  The panther that seemed so familiar to him of course was not helping out the pain he felt at his memory lose.  They were right there, he could feel them like the brush of a butterfly's wings across his skin, faint but noticeable.

The panther before him clearly did not mean him any harm, which struck the half wolf as bizarre.  His mind was telling him that she should be attacking him, hating him.  But he could not understand why.  Sure he was a canine and she a feline, but that did not always mean that they would feel a deep hate for each other.  Their species were not born mortal enemies, so why did he feel that this cat should hate him with a passion that was fiercer then even a blazing inferno?

As the panther placed herself directly in his path, Pol eased his walking staff back to his non-weapon stance, and breathed easier.  She clearly understood him by the way her head cocked to the side at his words, and her scent carried that of a panther and a human with it, so it was unlikely she did understand the words he spoke.  You know what I am saying, don't you Ka..er panther.  But you cannot respond, isn't that correct?  Try as he might Pol could not understand her in this form, but he knew that he used to be able to, back Before.

One moment my feline friend, hopefully I can help us commune.  Pol focused inward and closed his golden eyes.  He felt the wolf inside of him, and he called it out.  Dark black fur sprouted all over his body, and his clothes then became absorbed into his body.  He never understood why he transformed that way, but it was very useful.  Bones shifted, ears and nose changed and elongated.  And after a moment the human no longer there, in his place was a very large black dire wolf, a species that was possibly non existent in this world.

Can you understand me when I speak in this tongue?  I sure hope so, most beast can understand the languages of other beasts, can you?  Where am I?  I remember little of what happened before I awoke in this forest.  I am not from here, this world, it is different then my own.  Can you help me, Kaj...er panther!  Not Kaja, panther!  My apologizes, seems I used to know a panther named Kaja, but for the life of me I cannot remember anything.  And now I am speaking to a cat that may not even be able to respond to me.  So, can you help me, feline?  I need it.

Anonymous

She watched him carefully as his shifted the way he held the walk staff. At his question she hesitated a moment, before her black head dropped, and then lifted again, a sort of nod to his question. She could easily understand him. She did speak human as well. She may not have used her own voice in some time, but she still knew what he was saying. She sat there and watched with curiosity as he told her they would be able to communicate in a moment. Quickly she shifted to all fours as he seemed to change shape. A wolf! But not a normal wolf. That was what she had smelt before. She shifted a bit, watching with bright green eyes. It wasn’t usual that panthers and wolves would be friendly, but, then again, both of them were slightly human as well.

Yes, I can understand you. I don’t usually communicate with other animals, so forgive me if it takes me a moment to understand what you are saying. You’re in the…D..Draconian Forest. Apology accepted. I must admit I was slightly confused when you called me by the name of Kaja, but I understand now. I…I may be able to help you. What do you need help with?

Her reply came out a bit choppy, as if she were in deep thought about each of them. But, at least they had a system of communication now. She stood there on all fours as she looked to him with those intelligent eyes.

I..I am sorry that you had to change form to communicate with me.

She bowed her head slightly, before she lifted it back up and watched him, waiting for a response from him. She would wait to see what he needed help with, and then decide from there. It wasn’t like she had an prior engagements she needed to attend to. Her day would have consisted of laying on a branch, sleeping. Yes, for a panther, her life was rather uneventful.

Anonymous

Silverheart sat before the female feline, slightly uneasy.  His canine instincts told him this creature was a threat to him and his offspring.  But he had no offspring, did he?  Then again, this panther was no normal panther, she was a cat, a creature of the wilds, true enough, but like him some part  of her was human and it was that humanity in each of them that allowed them to sit together in peace.  If a slightly uneasy peace it was.  The great black wolf listened intently to the cat speak, slowly bringing her words to him, and doing his best to comprehend them.

Before, before the jump to his world, Silverheart felt as though he'd have been able to understand her even in his human form.  Something was missing from him now, something that had been very much a part of his life since, long before he could remember.  But what ever it was, it was gone now, and he seriously doubted that he'd be getting it back any time soon.  So he sat before the large cat, trying his best to understand each word she said to him, and as time flowed on he began to understand more clearly.

Do not worry, I'm having my own difficulties understanding you, but it seems to be getting better as you talk more.  I suppose wolves and panthers were not bred to converse with each other.  This is called the Draconian Forest, then?  I'm not in my home world then truly.  There was not an inch of that world that I did not know, and the Draconian Forest did not exist there.  Though, he admitted to himself, that is was possible he was in his home world's...DaeLuin yes that was its name...past or perhaps future.  He did not know how Kythe's jumping ability worked.

Do not worry, I myself was confused as to why I called you Kaja as well.  Though I still do not know your name.  My own is Silverheart, obviously for the patch of fur over my chest here.  As for what I need help with... well anything and everything.  I believe I came from somewhere else.  Another world, but was transported here.  Is there a town nearby?  What is this place called?

Memories came flowing through his head, but never stayed for more then a second, not enough time for him to capture one and understand it.  It would be a long process to regain his memories, if he ever could.  But then there was one person here that could help him, Kythe.  There is no need to apologize, my friend.  I was born to this form, it is very much a part of me, and I do enjoy it.  But I've one last question.  You've not seen a woman around here by the name of Kythe?  She looks similar to an elf, but with great back dragonic wings, with a tattoo that covers the left side of her face.

If the Gods of this world were merciful then she'd know the woman he spoke of.  If not....he didn't want to think about it.

Anonymous

She shifted a bit as she heard him, giving a nod. At least they were both having a slight problem understanding each other, but the more he spoke to her, the more she began to understand. It had been so long since she had communicated with anyone, but she found that it was all coming back to her with a few shared words with him. She gave a sort of nod as she heard him, understanding why he had been confused and called her by a name that wasn’t hers. Wait…what was her name? She knew she had one, she remembered it.

I’m…I am called…Pearl.

The name just sort of slipped out. That’s what she was called. Pearl…Pearl Rayne. A bubble of excitement rose in her as she realized she had not completely forgotten her human identity. She could thank this wolf man for that.

I think there are towns nearby. This world is called Le’raana. That much I remember.

She sat there as he asked her about a woman who looked like an elf. She could immediately answer no to that. She hadn’t seen humans in quite some time, many years until he had come along. She would remember the human, or elf, that he had described, that much she knew for sure. She pawed at the ground gently, looking down at the dirt, before lifting her head up to look at him.

I can’t say I have. I’m sorry, but, I would remember such a creature if I were to have seen one. She spoke out to him in an almost apologetic voice.

Anonymous

Well, it is a great pleasure to have met you Pearl.  Perhaps I am wrong, but that does not seem like the name a panther would be given.  I would be the first to admit that my knowledge of panther society, or any society for that matter, is less then good, especially at his moment.  But my nose tells me that some part of you is human, the scent is faint, but you have the smell of humans embedded into your scent.  You know that I myself have a human shape, so tell me, why do you smell of human as well?

Silverheart's memory was coming to him in bits and pieces.  He knew he was from somewhere else, but where was the million gold coin question.  His own genealogy was not even that big of an issue, he knew his mother was some how a human, while his dad was strangely a dire wolf.  How that had occurred, or why he was able to shift between the three forms deep within him, he didn't know.  There would be time enough to answer those questions later.  For the moment there were more important things to think about, to focus his attention on.  He knew that this was a new world, Le’raana as the panther called it, and it wasn't his home.  Though he did not know it, years of training and just general practice at being a ranger had kept those instincts in his muscles and mind.  But it was a new world, and he'd probably have to find a new way to survive in it.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not heard or seen of her, but there is no need to apologize, it is not your fault.  I know she is important, but...that's all.  Do you think you could show me to one of these towns?  I need to get as much information about this world as possible, and while I'm sure you know a lot, but there is much that can be learned from listen to men and women in taverns.

The large black wolf paced for a moment, doing his best to take in the panther's scent without getting to close.  Felines tended to like their space while canines were more willing to get up close and personal to get that scent.  Once a wolf had a scent he never forgot it, though he might think he might have, a single whiff would always bring it back.  

So how about it?  Can you show me one of these nearby towns?