Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Chimera enters the forest...

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2007, 05:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Ahh, here I am in a strange forest... I wonder where the closest village is..."

The strange creature mused to himself as he cautiously pawed his way through the leaves on the forest floor.

Cammy looked at his shadow and wondered if he would ever meet someone who cast a shadow similar to his own.  

He was tired and hot, his emerald serpant headed tail drooped as rays of light reflected on it's shimmering scales through the tall trees.

His stomach growled, "I must eat soon!  I'm hungery enough to eat a pegasus!"

"Baaaeeeaaaaahhheeaa!" Replyed his goat head in agreement.

His serpant tail stuck out it's forked tounge, then said, "I think we're losssst again!"
It then tried to slither away in the direction Cammy had come from.

The lionlike creature moved his back legs in a way that made his tail whip back into place.

"You think that after all these years you'd realize who's boss!"  the lion head grumbled at the serpant tail.

Cammy's golden eye's glimmered with a wicked twinkle...

'Listen', he thought, 'Soneone is coming...'

Anonymous

Arethusa was peacefully searching for herbs, which was rare for her. She was hardly ever tranquil, even when alone. She was down on her knees, searching for a plant to add to her garden. Something special. Something she'd never seen before. Something that would astound her with its curative properties.

She was so absorbed in her work that, for a moment, she didn't notice the chimera. But when she did, her eyes narrowed into slits. What did the fool beast think it was doing? It was trampling on plants! And, most horrifyingly of all, it had a goat head. Goats ate plants. To Arethusa, it was as though the creature had committed murder. Even worse, since she routinely murdered people but would never so much harm a leaf upon a plant.

"What do you think you're doing?" she asked dangerously. She had no idea what it was, even though her mother had been a Mileae, a nymph of the mountain ash. "Who gave you permission to go around trampling plants?" She snarled as she stepped towards the creature.

Anonymous

"Who gave you permission to go around trampling plants?"

Cammy herd coming from ahead of where he stood.  He lifted a paw and looked at the small leaves that were stuck to the bottom of it.  He sniffed at them, his stomach growled and he licked his paw.

'Eww!  Why would anyone care if I stepped on this stuff!  It tastes aweful!' he thought.

"Ssssouldn't we do something about this girl infront of us?"  His tail hissed in his ear.

"Yeah, yeah, as soon as we find something to eat!" The lion head replyed agitatedly.
..."Actually... yes... I think you would do quite nicely!" The chimera said as he licked his lips...

"I don't need permission to do anything!"  Roared the lion demon as it leaped foward.

Anonymous

The impudence of that thing! It dared to attack her! She backed away, leaning against a tree. Arethusa wasn't frightened; nothing ever fazed her except forest fires. The beast in front of her was not a forest fire. it would be so much easier to stop.

She fished in her pockets for a minute. "Damn!" she swore, wanting to stamp her foot. She didn't have any more briars, so there was no chance of giving the chimera a very thorny surprise. The packet of seeds that she took out turned out to be the dreaded poison oak. Opening the package, she hurled a handful of the seeds at the creature. Most of them missed, dropping right in front of her feet.

But that didn't matter. She fed her magic to the plants, forcing them to grow large in a short amount of time. Months of growth was compressed into seconds. The plants appeared slightly weak and flimsy, but they did have a very large amount of urashiol, the substance that caused rashes. "This is poison oak." she explained. "A little bit of it touching your skin can cause rashes. I wonder what trampling through a wall of them will do to your feet, hmm?" She leisurely reached into her pocket again, producing a package of sorghum. "You are a goat, are you not? Sorghum is very poisonous to goats..." She didn't like to kill with plants that had to be eaten first, but she would. After all, it would be a sacrifice for the greater good of all greens everywhere.

Anonymous

"Argggg!" Shouted Cammy.  He jumped right into the poison oak wall...

"Damn it!" His lion head growled.  

The goat head sniffed the leaves that were tangled around him and not being the brightest goat head that grows out of a lion's back, started munching on them.

"Ahh!  You idiot!  What are you doing!"  The lion head shouted.  

"Thisss is ssssoo stupid!"  said the serpant tail.  "I'll take care of thisss" it hissed.

The serpant part of the beast then spat flames onto the poison oak that had trapped them in tangles.

The Chimera broke free of the plants as they crumbled into charred ashes around him...

He eyed the creature in front of him...

"Oh no!  I wet my undies!" He exclaimed!

Anonymous

Arethusa's eyes bulged when the goat began nibbling upon her creation, and her face turned violet with rage when the serpent burnt her precious plants. "You..." she seemed at lost for something to say. The creature had just burned plants! It was a crime! It deserved to be extinguished. She searched in her pocket for something that would do the job when the creature's next words brought her short.

"Your undies?" Arethusa ranted angrily. "You've just commited botanicide and all you can comment about is your undies? And what do you think you've just done? The smoke from poison oak is dangerous! You might have killed someone!" That thought calmed her down. "So I guess that's all right." she admitted. People were useless critters who ate plants. "I forgive you." she announced.

The creature was actually doing the world a favor. It released toxic fumes, which would destroy a lot of herbivores nearby. That was a good thing. Besides, the creature seemed to like eating meat. Maybe she could come to an arrangement with it and have it eat all passerbys or something. That would certainly be beneficial for her plants. "So, are you preparing to bargain?" she asked, as though it was the goat-thing that was at a disadvantage instead of her.

Anonymous

Cammy sniffed the air and felt dizzy from the fumes that unbeknownst to him were toxic!

His vision was going blurry, then he herd the being in fron of him ask if he wanted to bargin!

But now he felt pretty sick... and so hungery, maybe she knew where they was a fresh kill lying around...

"Okay... do you know where any good red meat is?... and Maybe some rum??"
The lion head asked.

Anonymous

Red meat? Wasn't all meat red? Well, maybe he meant bloody meat. That was all right. Humans had bloody meat. "Yes, I do." Arethusa said, grimly satisfied. Yes, this...creature could be quite useful. It was fortunate that Arethusa didn't drink, since otherwise she would have realized that rum was made of plant matter. That would have started hostilities all over again.

"Would you like me to show you?" she asked, staring at the creature. It looked a bit sick...maybe the fumes were already getting to work. "You might want to stop breathing." she advised. "The smoke can be quite toxic." The creature had to survive if it was to start chomping on humans.

Anonymous

"Yes!  We're, I mean I'm so hungery!"  All the heads of the beast shouted.

"Where do we go?" Asked the Chimera.

Anonymous

Arethusa almost left then. She had no intention of making a fool of herself by traveling with a foolish monster(especially one who had a herbivorous head). She tried not to glare at the creature. If she played her cards right, then this creature would be on a strictly carnivorous diet.

“Well, Ketra is several miles away.� She commented, gripping a tree with her hand. It was taking all the self control she had to keep from attacking that creature; she couldn’t stand the thought of traveling with it for miles. “I could give you a map.� she said hopefully. Maybe she wouldn’t have to travel with this goat-thing after all.

Anonymous

"Hmm, I don't know how to read maps very well, usually I just follow my nose!" Replyed the creature.

"Just tell me which direction to go in!"  He said.

Anonymous

The creature had no idea how hard it was for Arethusa to tell him the direction. Mostly she just memorized the plants on the way. "Well...last time I checked, there was a lady fern growing near the part of the stream that you're supposed to cross. Then you find the old spruce tree; it's very friendly and you'll recognize it immediately. Make a turn towards the younger spruce tree and that's the direction you're supposed to go." It was all very convoluted, so that only a plant mage could understand her directions. After all, the only non-magical way to tell a tree's age was to cut it down.

Anonymous

The Chimera had a very blank look on his face... it was as if the mage were speaking another language!

"Come, again?"  Said the Chimera.  

His stomach growled, then he growled!

"I've had enough of this playing around!" He shouted.  "Either you lead me to this village or I'll eat YOU right now!"

Anonymous

Was the creature deaf or something? She'd explained it, in very simple, concise language. She hadn't even added any scientific terms! This beastie was obviously exceptionally stupid. Arethusa gritted her teeth, reciting to herself plant names as she struggled not to do something extremely rash. Her recitation failed to calm her. "I was very clear!" she snapped, wishing that stamping her foot wouldn't be considered an immature act.

The creature's next words did nothing to help her temper. She unleashed the full force of her glare on it, secretly a bit glad to finally have an excuse to do so. After all, it didn't work on plants. "And I've had enough of you!" she yelled back, her hand white as she gripped the tree tighter,  "You...goat-faced pustule!" It wasn't a very imaginative insult.

Anonymous

The Chimera was so shocked that he was very out of it for a while!

He just couldn't reply!  No one had ever talked to him this way before...

He thought about it for a long time and finally decided that eating this creature would most likely give him indigestion.  And he hated indigestion!

So what should be done...

"I know" he blurted out, "I'll roar!  RWAAAARRRRRRRRRRRWWARRR!"

Anonymous

Arethusa would have continued shouting unimaginative insults if the creature hadn't roared. She winced, angry, until she remembered the fact that noise was good for plants. Perhaps the lion head was far kinder to plants than the goat head was. For that, at least, she wouldn't kill him.

"Good job." she said, smiling at the lion head. Then, she returned to glaring at the goat head, arms on her hips. "See? Your other head knows how to behave." If only the goat head would try to emulate the lion head some more...She looked at the last head impatiently. "And have you got anything to say?" Her tone was threatening, implying that if he didn't say something nice about plants, then he would probably find a giant thorn in his eye.