Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What A Little Coin Will Do.

Started by Anonymous, July 05, 2007, 06:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Son of a..."

That was the third time Jim had said that...err...fourth. Fifth? Melissa avoided the most recent branch that had smacked Jim in the face. She would already have told Jim to watch where he was going, duck under branches, etc. if she wasn't drawing so much enjoyment out of seeing him hit branch after branch after branch. She could hear Jim grumbling as his irritation grew and decided to intervene.

"You know, you might not run into as many branches as you do if you'd just slow down a little and watch where you're going." He gave a grunt for a reply, but did slow his pace a little. Melissa turned her thoughts back inward as she and the rest of the team followed the sound of Jim's grumbled curses. Why were they in the middle of this forest? Surely there were roads through here or how else would merchants get through? Her thoughts ran along that and related tracks for roughly two more hours and, just as she was about to ask Jim where the hell he was leading everybody, the forest suddenly stopped and a village appeared roughly a hundred meters distant.

"Finally." She heard Jim mutter. He turned to face the squad of mercenaries. "Alright people, we're finally here. Unfortunately, we can't all go in at once." There were some mutters. "I know, I know, but people this far removed usually don't like a bunch of armed strangers just waltzing into their village."After saying that, Jim talked for a bit and explained how everybody would approach said village, in what size groups and when, and where everybody would find each other.

"Is there anybody that doesn't understand?" Silence. "Good. Melissa, let's go."

Jim and her walked around to the east side of the village, broke from the forest and walked towards it like it was their every right to do so. After all the thinking that she had done, Melissa had some nagging answers that would just not go away, and she finally decided to ask one.

"So why are we here anyway?"
"You'll find out." He responded.

Anonymous

[Haha, I lied. I'm totally gunna be using a different character than the one I had originally intended. Oh well! xD]

The more observant of the villagers shifted nervously, murmuring amongst each other, looking at the bold strangers warily. Why were THEY here? In such a removed village, what purpose did they serve? They walked so boldly, as if it was their right to be in THEIR village. It was unsettling to see them so blatant. The majority of the village, however, seemed to care less, although they noted the new comers, they hoped if they just conveniently pretended they didn't see them they'd be gone soon enough. Perhaps they were right.

Ukko was enjoying her day as she enjoyed every other day - by lounging in the the only bar they had - that doubled as a restaurant and inn. She had long since made it her unofficial residence. However, to the owners she was more of an eyesore, an irritation and nuisance than anything else. It never bothered Ukko in the least - if that's how they thought of her, she couldn't really care because despite what they thought, she was still there.

However, it was beginning to turn into an unusual day. First of all, she had woken up on the wrong side of her bed. That rarely, if ever, happened. And she didn't feel tired - something extremely extraordinary. But it was becoming exceedingly strange as no one paid attention to in the bar. Not that they usually did, but there were at least a few comments about her or statements said to her. Usually along the lines of 'go home, ya don't belong here' or something like that. And then she heard about them. The newcomers. How utterly strange!

She could detect the change in the town's atmosphere before she heard about them. The village's natural defenses went up, the people on guard, unsettled by this discrepancy in their everyday, normal, mundane lives. By living here for the past few years, Ukko had easily discerned the change. She hadn't really thought about it or the reason that caused it until she actually heard what it was. So, strangers. Armed ones. Some said there were a dozen, others said as few as two. Still, even one stranger was enough for everyone to be uncomfortable. It was just that kind of place.

Ukko had been thinking about going to investigate as her hand slid across the bar's counter, accidentally brushing someone else's drink, along with her own, over, spilling everywhere and rolling and smashing onto the floor. She bristled, looked at the mistake she made and didn't even have a chance to say 'oops' before the bartender and owner burst.

"Ya stupid git! Get outta here!" He shouted, storming around the bar, grabbing her by the collar and dragging her out and then throwing her out. Not much of a feat considering she was only five foot, at best.

Hop, hop, hop! And then she stumbled, and fell and then sprawled. And then realized she was suddenly in danger of being stepped on. She scrambled to her feet, adjusting her 22 inch sword at her left hip before blinking slowly at the people she could have been stepped on by. What a damn coincidence this was.

"Ah, so you're the new people, eh?" She grinned, a hand coming through her hair. She tilted her head, scanning their appearances, her brows raising. "Mercenaries or somethin'?"

What would they be doing here? She couldn't imagine they'd be of any use to the village - it was remote and hidden, and planned to stay that way. There was little trouble except from the occasional bandits, but she alone had been good enough for that. It was her only means of earning her keep, considering she was much too lazy to do anything else.

"Whatcha here for?" She asked in her naturally lazy voice with its undertone playfulness.

[my post sucks. xD i couldn't figure out how they should meet and why. so. yes.]

Anonymous

((Don't worry about your post, mine didn't really set-up any good openings. <.<))

Damn, is this even the right place? That thought had been rolling through Jim's mind since his first step into the village. The easiest way to find out would be to ask, of course, but the locals didn't really seem to want to talk too much. So that left them wandering for past quarter of an hour, allowing them to get a feel for the town, and plan escape routes to be used if needed. The two's wanderings eventually lead to the inn.

It looked alright, and perhaps the owner would actually talk to them. Jim and Melissa were about five yards from the door when a person was ejected from it to stop squarely in front of them.
"Yes, we're mercenaries." Jim said in response to her question. "And since you're the first person to actually talk to us, maybe you could help me with something." Without waiting for a reply, Jim motioned Melissa to the other side of the stranger and the two took her back into the inn.
"What's your name anyway?"