Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Makings of a Plan [OPEN!]

Started by Anonymous, July 19, 2007, 07:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Oh, hell.

That was the first thing Selene Oberon thought after she had transformed back into a human. Just yesterday, Selene had turned into a mouse and jumped onto a trader's wagon, desperate to get out of Adela and away from any bounty hunters and whatever other authority figures knew about the break-in at the Phoebus Temple. She had been hoping that the trader was headed to the Yoreiq Isles, but apparently, this was the trader's stop.

I try to get away from danger and where do I end up? Thieves and Cutthroats R' Us! she thought irritably. Gods, she was going to kill Coira once she got her hands around her! Coira had to be the one who snitched the group out; she had, after all, mysteriously vanished just precious moment before the local law enforcement had suprised them.

I'm going to kill Coira Batale, thought the increasingly furious Selene. First I will strangle her. Then, I'll burn her. And once she's dead, I'll bring her back to life and I'll--- Selene stopped her tirade of revenge and sharp and pointy death, and took a deep breath. She needed to calm down before she went on a rampage. In this town, it was bound to get her into trouble.

The situation wasn't as bad as it seemed, Selene just had to think about it clearly. Yes, she was probably wanted for attempted theft and graverobbing, that was a problem. However, she was in Zantaric, which, as shady as it was, was outside the influence of Adela law enforcement. And just because the trader wasn't going any further didn't mean it was the end for Selene. She could turn back into a mouse again, hitch a ride on another wagon, and eventually reach Yoreiq Isles. There, she could recover, rethink her plans for the Phoebus Temple and---

Wait a minute--why rethink her plan from Yoreiq? She was in Zantaric, for crying out loud, there were plenty of thieves here! All she had to do was look around and find maybe two other individuals in the same profession as herself, see if they were trustworthy...

Trustworthy thieves, now there's an oxymoron! the little voice of reason in her head snapped. But Selene brushed it aside. She had a plan, one that could work at that. All that she needed were some partners in crime...

Anonymous

Sev’s eyes fluttered open but quickly shut again before he could get a clear view of where he was. He tried to open his eyes again, and was almost blinded by the light. How long had he been out for? Once his eyes had adjusted to the light he saw, much to his horror he wasn’t where he was supposed to be. He’d paid someone to take him back to Ketra, but as he sat up in the wagon, he didn’t see Ketra; all he saw was a village that didn’t appear friendly. The young man scooted forward in the cart and tried to talk to the driver. The driver was an older fellow with a thick grey beard and a large frame. When Sev asked why they weren’t in Ketra, the driver responded:

“I just need to make a quick stop here, won’t take long.� Sev sighed; it was going to be a long day. “Besides, why would you want to spend all your time in Ketra? That’s a boring town; this place has all sorts of interesting folks. Would be thieves, mercenaries, and ex-soldiers come here all the time.� Sev didn’t like how the man said his home was boring but held his tongue. Hearing about mercenaries and soldiers being there intrigued the young man. When he put it that way the town sounded pretty interesting. He was a would-be soldier, so he figured it might be the perfect place for him. It wasn’t much longer until they were in the town itself. The cart stopped in the middle of the street in an open air market, people flowed around the cart on both sides. The old driver got out and went into a building. Sev got out as well.

The streets weren’t in the best condition and he was surprised the ride was a smooth as it had been. Sev didn’t want to wander too far from the cart, for fear of being left behind. However as he looked around, he saw some pretty interesting things, most of which he figured was stolen. There were all sorts of strange clothes, jewelry, and little trinkets. He looked back every now and then to make sure the cart was still there. Sev saw the driver coming out of the building and tried to meet him back at the cart. However, the mass of people that were now in the street prevented him from getting there quickly. He shouted out for the man to wait but the old driver couldn’t hear him over the sounds of the market place and started to leave without him. Sev began to panic and pushed his way through the crowd, shouting at the man the entire time. A passerby knocked him to the ground and told him to be quiet. Sev got up, brushed the dust off his dark green pants, and looked around for the driver of the cart. It had been hard enough to keep track of the man before, but now he couldn’t se him at all.

Sev swore and kicked the ground. He’d lost his ride, and now he either had to walk to Ketra, run and try to catch up to the man who’d brought him there, or find a new ride. He didn’t think he’d be able to find the guy again. The young man looked around, hoping to find an inn to stay in until he could get a ride. It wouldn’t be hard to walk to Ketra, but it would be safer if he traveled with someone. Even he wouldn’t walk through the woods near Zantaric by himself. He couldn’t believe he was stuck there, what horrible luck.

Anonymous

It was true that this area attracted a sort of unsavory character. But for good reason. What sort of civilized folk would like to be way out here? For some, that made it the perfect setting. Like Trab. The young, dark-skinned man pulled his knit-wool hat lower, glancing around the busy thoroughfare. Less than a year ago, Trab had been enlisted in the Connlaothan army. As a soldier. Unfortunately, that civilized life was a bit too structured for the ex-thief. Perdictably, he tried to stretch out a little bit--breathe--and ended up mildly entangled in a bit of a bad drug scheme.

Need less to say, the military did not approve. Instead of dealing with the consequences, Trab fled--like the true thief and criminal he was. And so he landed here, Zantaric. Hopefully no one would bother searching out this far for him. One lonely foot-soldier was not worth that, right?

Despite the steamy climate, the man hunkered under his cloak, high collar upturned to half-hide his face and his hat hiding most of the rest. It was awfully uncomfortable, but it kept him feeling safe and hidden. Spending the majority of his life as a thief, he knew the tricks to disguise his appearance and how to fade away from the foreground.

It was very easy here to tell the mercenaries from the thieves. Very easy.

Trab, for instance, did not roughly shove people to the ground, as had happened to one poor man... It looked like he had lost his ride. Shame. Clearly he did not understand that Zantaric was the place to be. To lay low. To re-group.

However, Trab was used to having his own flock--partner, really--and had never needed to advertise to find another. He and Kos had worked streets and houses together since they were ruffian teenagers. And, well, one did not just start yelling for thieves and cut-throats to band up and head out.

No, it would probably take more tact than that and he certainly would be the one to go out on a limb to do it.

Anonymous

“GET OUT!�

Battateru beat it out of the house, wondering how in the world that naiive-looking young woman could identify him as a conman. Feh. A smart girl was a troublesome girl anyway. Battateru turned on his heel to say one last thing to the woman, spreading his arms wide as if inviting her to a hug, only to have the door slammed in his face.

Third time today.

He scoffed and pulled the tabletop hair bow out of his hair so he could unbraid his long brown hair, then braid it tighter. Well, what now? He couldn’t get very far if he wasn’t believable…It was so easy in Adela! What’d he done right then? Or maybe…maybe they were just that gullible.

He screwed his face up in concentration, trying to find the perfect place to pin his tabletop hair bow with two of his favorite colors: red and black. He wore a simple red tunic with black slacks and had a very lean buildâ€"no muscle whatsoever, it seemedâ€"that threw many people and caused them to think that he were a mere teenager. But, dammit, he was thirty-seven years old! The thought made him snort. Get it right, people!

He let out a gulping sound as he was pushed out of the way byâ€"somebody. He didn’t know who the hell he was. Battateru caught himself and called after the man. “Oi, watch it!â€? Then he realized just what was wrong. The man had missed his ride. Battateru arched a brow, smiling slyly. A window of opportunity, perhaps? He had an old, old steed at home that was of no use to him nowâ€"maybe if he blew the steed up to be more than what he was worth… “Ah…you there! Boy…â€? He made his approach slowly but casually, putting himself into his suave, lying attitude the whole way there. “You’re not from here, are you?â€?

Anonymous

Sev turned around, a look of annoyance on his face. “What was your first clue?� he asked flatly.
He’d seen a lot of people in Zantaric but this guy was really strange. The man had called him a boy when he himself looked like a teenager. He crossed his arms and slightly adjusted his sleeveless grey shirt. He walked over to the man, wondering what the guy could want with him. He looked like some kind of rich playboy, judging by the way he walked and talked. A thought occurred to Sev, maybe this guy could get him out of the town and back to Ketra. Sure, the place seemed pretty interesting, and a part of him wanted to stay and explore it, but at the same time, another part of him just wanted him to go home.
“What do you want kid?� he asked, looking the man over.

Anonymous

Selene walked away from the wagon, wincing slightly as she saw one of the passengers chase after his ride, only to be knocked down by one of Zantaric's surlier citizens. If she had only seen where she was going, she might have noticed the man in front of her. She didn't, how ever, and walked straight into him.

Bumpf! "Ow," Selene grumbled, stepping a few feet backwards. "Sheesh, watch where you're---"

It was at this point that Selene looked up and actually saw the man. He was at least six feet, and was definitely more built than any other man Selene had met.

Oh, hell... Selene thought for the second time that day. She gulped, fearfully.

"I...uh...sorry?" she said timidly, planning to turn into a mouse if the man became violent.

((OOC: Sorry for the crappy post! ^^;))

Anonymous

(ooc: I assume that Selene bumped into Trab? If not, terribly sorry...)

Trab frowned as he watched the chaos of the thoroughfare... It was getting a little bit ridiculous with all the people ping-ponging off each other. Or perhaps it was the fact that these sorts of people didn't let someone bump 'em without making a confrontation of it. Surely all of the other major cities Trab had lived in ad been just as crowded but the people were certainly a lot less annoyed by it.

But then--just as the deserter contemplated these thoughts--someone bumped into him.  For cryin' out loud...

Trab looked down at the woman as she started to lecture him. She was tiny. He was not. Apparently she realized this fact and stopped mid-sentence. Trab knew his appearance could seem more than terrifying to most people and most times he used that to his advantage but the little woman was clearly scared and--as far as he could tell--she didn't seem to have anything of any value so she was in no danger.

Smiling, Trab opened his arms slightly at his side. "No offense, but I wasn't moving." It was true. She had walked into him. "I'm not going to eat you, don't worry. But you should be careful of some of the others around here..."

Trab was a burglar. He wasn't a mercenary. He didn't particularly like to fight people and certainly had to be provoked into killing someone... Unlike many of those around here now. So, all and all, Selene was lucky in who she picked to bump into.

Anonymous

((OOC: Selene did bump into Trab. ^^; Sorry for not making it more obvious!))

Selene began to relax as the big man did not retailiate, but not entirely. First appearances, as she had been taught and learned not too long ago, were not to be trusted. While the man was being fairly kind to her now, there was no telling what could happen the moment. Selene debated on whether or not she should read his mind, to see if he wasn't planning anything, but decided against it. She hadn't used her telepathic abilities in months, and with so many people around, she'd probably pass out from the effort.

Well, with Plan A scrapped, it was time to go to Plan B: be cautious and try to learn about any thieves looking for a big heist to work for. "I guess you're right, it was my fault," Selene admitted apolegetically. "My apologies."

Selene looked at him for a moment. "I'm sorry if this is a little forward, but are you from here? I'm not trying to be nosy or anything, I just need to find..." Selene struggled for the right word for 'people who are interested in graverobbing ancient tombs', "...some extra help, for lack of a better word. For a job I've been given."

Anonymous

Still hunkered mostly between his hat and up-turned coat collar, Trab wasn't particularly worried about the woman identifying him. Plus, she did not seem the type that the Connlaothan military would send after deserters. He accepted her apology with a brief nod, expecting that to be the end of their conversation and relationship.

But, to his surprise, she continued. Hands dug deep into his pockets, Trab listened casually. There was no need to show too much interest, nor too much alarm. If he played well, he might--he dared to hope--even be able to land a good opportunity out of this woman. "Extra help?" He questioned and, despite himself, some interest registered on his shadowed expression. "What sort of help would you need? And what sort of job?" He moved slightly closer to her, bowing his head slightly so that she could confide details to him confidentially.

Anonymous

Battateru's eye twitched at the word. Boy? He was no boy. Not by a long-shot. With a snappy, impatient air, he cut in, "I'll have you know that I am your elder--despite my devilishly youthful appearance, I'm in fact thirty-seven years old." He nodded and leaned forward as if to tell Sev a secret. "Comes from being with the ladies so often, you see." He pulled away, giving Sev his personal space back.

He noticed the man's stature--he seemed...suspicious. Oh, boy, he'd picked a careful one. Better tread lightly with him... "Why not take my steed? He's fast and reliable and doesn't need too much food--I have no use for him. He was some thoughtless gift I received and...well...in all honesty, the dander makes me itch." That wasn't entirely true. The truth was that the horse made his skin crawl, as scrawny and bug-eyed as it was. Not only that, but the ticks had suddenly taken a liking to him and were falling off of the poor horse, fat and happy, everyday.

He contained a shudder and continued. "You could have him for a reasonable price." Battateru fought to keep his "mischevious look" to himself--in other words, he didn't smile slyly and arch his brow like he normally does. For one reason, since Sev was so observant and cautious, Battateru'd give himself away easily. And for another--well...that was really the look he gave ladies. It tended to work well with them. And since he'd been working on women for so long, it was hard to kick the habit cold turkey...

((Kinda bad...sorry. ^-^;; ))

Anonymous

Sev thought there was something strange about the man. He didn’t like the way he was talking, something about his voice made him suspicious. He thought about the man’s offer of a horse, but quickly realized he wouldn’t be able to take care of it. Not only did he not have enough money, but his animal care skills weren’t the best. Sure, back in Ketra he’d watched over horses and other animals from time to time, but it had been so long since he’d done that. He raised a hand.

“I appreciate the offer, but I don’t have the means to care for a horse.� Sev also thought the man’s comment about dandruff was a little strange. As far as he knew, horses didn’t get dandruff. Added to that, he likely didn’t have enough money to afford the horse. All he had was enough to hopefully buy himself a ride to Ketra. He hoped he could just ask nicely and convince someone to give him a ride for free, but that seemed unlikely in a place like this. “Do you have a wagon or anything? I could do something for you and in exchange, you could give me a ride to Ketra. What do you say?� Sev asked, hoping he could barter his way back home.

Anonymous

Selene was suprised at the interest that the tall man was taking in her response, although she shouldn't have been. After all, this was Zantaric--who wouldn't be interested in mysterious jobs of dubious legality?

Well, maybe the dark mages... she thought to herself. Selene shook her head slightly, this was not the best time to go off on tangents. She stepped a little closer to the tall, dark-skinned man.

"The help I need would need experience in excavation," she said softly to the man. "And in taking out guards." Selene looked around quickly at her surroundings. As much as she needed a partner, the open streets of Zantaric, where just about anyone could listen to your conversation, were not the best places to conduct business dealings.

"If you're really interested, we should continue our conversation elsewhere," Selene said, stepping back from the man. Her voice had taken on a slightly business-like tone. "Here is a bit too...public, don't you think?"

((OOC: Sorry it took me so long to post! I've been busy with school...))

Anonymous

Excavation? Not Trab's specialty but the man was wise enough to not show that immediately because taking out guards? Also not his specialty... But it meant that whatever this woman would be excavating would be worth guarding. Always a good sign. Maybe it was time he added some new talents to his old routine. A little dabbling in ancient grave-robbing never hurt anyone, right?

Trab cast a scanning glance about, keeping his ear near to Selene so he would catch her whispers. "Oh, I believe I'm interested," he confessed, "but you're right." He watched the flow of the crowds. Although there was a dominant pattern of traffic... there were a few people who would just lazing about. Trab had no doubt they were keeping keen ears out for information and opportunities. "There's a bawdy tavern down this way that's plenty loud and hard to be overheard in," he motioned, pointing past a boy with a nag and another young man, "Unless you already had a private place scoped out?"

Anonymous

Selene was able to repress a triumphant grin upon hearing the man's answer. She couldn't believe how quickly she had found an interested, would-be partner! It looked as if the tides were beginning to turn for Selene.

Lady Kimona, thank you for giving me luck this day! she thought happily. While Selene didn't follow any actual religion, she did worship the goddess Kimona--so would anyone if they were turned Hiroko, or so Selene thought--and paid her homage whenever she got the chance.

Selene brought her attention back to the man, and smiled at him. "A bawdy tavern," she told him, "Sounds great. Would you care to lead the way?"

Just then, something dawned on Selene Oberon. "Oh, and by the way," she added, "My name's Selene Oberon. What's yours?"

Anonymous

Damn! No scams this time. He blinked away his dejected look and shook his head. "No, my boy, I don't own a wagon--I'm not this slender for no reason," he added, chuckling. "But I'm sure we could ask somebo--you there!" He waved at a short woman in the crowd who was speaking to someone a few heads taller than she.

He strode over to her, and bowed his head politely. "Pardon to interrupt you two," Battateru began, "but this good b--get over here, would you?" The question--directed at Sev--was a little bit impatient. Really, he shouldn't be helping him--he was of no use to Battateru, after all--but he had nothing else to do today. Why not? He turned back to the short woman, his long braid of black hair flying up and landing on his left shoulder in the process. "Sorry about that. As I was saying, this good man here--" he patted Sev on the shoulder "--needs a ride to Ketra. Do you happen to know someone headed in that direction? Or owns a wagon that we could borrow?"

Borrow. That's funny. His smile became even more devilish at the thought. All she had to do was point him in the direction of an unguarded wagon and he'd take it as if it were a bag of money from a fool. He'd done it before...only, the last time it happened, he accidentally crashed it into a ravine. Which was the actual reason why he...didn't own...a wagon anymore. His smile faded. I need to make note of that: work on your stealing skills.

Anonymous

Selene was suprised as a man a little taller than she suddenly popped up in front of her. Funny how that kept happening to her lately.

"A wagon to Ketra?" Selene mused. "Well, no, I must say that I don't know of any, I only just got here." She honestly felt like leaving it at that and heading off to the tavern to discuss business with her new partner, but it seemed bad form to just leave it at that.

"If you're really that eager to get out of Zantaric, you ought to check the taverns. It's getting late, chances are that's where all the traveling merchants are right now. Other than that," Selene shrugged, "I don't know what else to tell you, really."