Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Curse my green fingers

Started by Anonymous, August 17, 2007, 09:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

She always ruined everything. Whenever she got a master willing to buy her she always ruined it; gotten too curious for her own good and seen something her master really didn’t want her, or anyone for that matter, to see. But this time really took first prize.

She had started off there well; her master seemed nice enough and quickly noticed she had a real talent for gardening. But then she discovered his mistress, a woman she had intense dislike for. Anyway, long story short that particular mistress (for her master had many) ended up eaten alive by one of Hex’s leafy pets. Sometimes green fingers, or in Hex’s case magic fingers, could be a curse.

So now she was wandering Draconi Forest on the run from her rightly livid master.  She was starting to think she might be better off in jail. Hex had been a slave 7 years, since she was 11, and she wasn’t really used to her freedom. That said it was nice for once not having to worry about pleasing her master or if anyone would buy her. Instead she was worried she might be captured or worse caught by some wild animal in the forest for dinner.

Hex sat down on a fallen tee and pushed her long, wavy blonde hair out of her chocolate eyes, pondering her next move. Stay and be eaten or caught or keep going and only possibly be caught. Unnoticed to Hex, for she was used to it by now, new saplings grew on the tree she was sat on at an astonishing rate. They only stopped when the entire tree was covered, save for the small area which Hex was sat on.

She sighed and rose from fallen tree, still not noticing the saplings, and continued her trek through the forest.

Anonymous

Forests, in Rime's opinion, were safe places. No mages trying to poke her to see what she was made out of and no mirrors to steal her life. There were only wild beasties and the occasional adventurer, and they didn't bother her. The beasts knew that she wasn't alive, and adventurers were blind and deaf and easy to avoid. She skipped through the woods, humming to herself. She hadn't been this happy in years. Maybe she could stay and live in these woods. If anyone ever tried to bother her, then she could just kill them.

She halted, seeing the plants covering the old trunk. She'd been here a few days ago, and there hadn't been any plants growing on top of it. She sniffed the saplings inquisitively. Yes, there was a distinct smell of magic. Green magic,. the magic of growing things, although she didn't need her nose to tell her that. A mage had passed through, and hadn't been very careful, either. She could see the trail that the mage had taken easily; this was probably a city mage, obviously used to old books and servants who did all the work.

Was the mage hunting for her? Had he heard of her expertise at sniffing out magic? That was what she had been made for; finding magic, so that her greedy master could feed off of it. She'd escaped, and not a minute too soon. This wasn't the mage who had created her; his smell was different, old and musty like the books he loved so much. The mage who had grown the saplings was different, perhaps one of her master's servants. She backed away from the trunk, eying the saplings the way she would a giant serpent-or at least, the way she would if venom concerned her at all. The mage obviously wasn't very clever; he or she hadn't spotted her trail, and she hadn't been trying to control it.

She hesitated for a minute, before following the trail that the mage had left. She silently cursed the mage for ruining her day; she'd been having fun, enjoying the wild. Why couldn't the mage have shown up at a better time?

Anonymous

Hex sighed. It was getting dark now. Though she was used to the dark (her pitiful room at her master’s house had always been pitch black) she hated to think what came out at night. Sighing again, she slumped down on the ground and wondered whether she should find a cave to sleep in or keep moving. She hadn’t been caught yet but that didn’t mean she still wouldn’t be.

As she sat there pink flowers began to spring up from the ground around her and with the sudden change from green to pink Hex quickly jumped to her feet. She viewed the flowers with panic; if that had happened before and she hadn’t noticed then she would be easier to track. Her master and his servants were exactly strangers to her work horticultural wise.

Hex realised she now only really had one choice; keep moving. She was cold and tired but she realised that was better than caught or dead. Despite the effort it took, she quickened her pace, the trees passing her quicker until she broke into a run.

However she froze when she heard a noise behind her.

Anonymous

Night was falling, Rime noticed. The darkness didn’t concern her much; it would just be harder to see. She frowned suddenly, seeing the pink flowers. The smell of magic was strong here; she had no doubt that the flowers were the mage’s creation, just as the saplings had been. Was the mage trying to lure her somewhere? This could be a trap; no mage would have unleashed the magic by accident.

There was a flicker of motion in the corner of her eyes. When she looked, she saw an reflection of herself. The reflection had her own brown hair and green eyes, only she was dressed in finery while Rime wore peasant’s clothing. What remained of Rime’s good mood vanished. “You again.� she said, sounding more resigned than angry as she uprooted the flowers and threw them at the reflection. Predictably, the flowers went through the girl. The other was the ghost of the master‘s daughter, who had died before Rime’s creation.

Rime couldn’t remember a time when the ghost hadn’t been with her; she had always been there. Why the ghost chose to haunt her she had no idea; she was not the only homunculus who had been based on the mage’s daughter. Though the  apparition never spoke, she made her contempt known in other ways.

She had thought that she had left the ghost behind; apparently, she was wrong. The spirit had followed her. She silently cursed the wise woman who had told her that ghosts could not leave the place where they died. The crone had lied. She walked on, not daring to look behind her. The ghost was following her, she knew, invisible to everyone else.

The mage’s tracks were even easier to follow now. Perhaps he or she was running. Rime followed, taking care to remain silent. She succeeded, stealthily creeping along and ignoring the feeling that something was following her, mockingly imitating her every movement.

“Boo.� Something whispered in her ear, stroking her cheek with cold fingers. She yelped, forgetting the need for silence. What the hell was the ghost doing? The ghost had never done anything like this before. She turned, ready to confront the specter, only to discover that she was only. Then she remembered the mage. She wasn't sure which was more frightening; knowing that the mage had probably heard her or knowing that there was a ghost who obviously wished her ill.

Anonymous

Hex was sure she had heard someone yelp behind her and she doubted it was anyone trying to capture her, unless of course they had encountered one of he forest’s more vicious inhabitants.

Against her better judgement she ran back through the forest towards the sound not realising that she was leaving yellow flowers in her wake.

She kept running until she reached a clearing and almost didn’t stop but she saw a girl ahead of her with brown hair and green eyes. She didn’t look dangerous but Hex could sense there was something unusual about her.

Anonymous

Rime looked at the girl, horrified. She didn't need her nose to tell that this was the mage; the yellow flowers were obvious clues. There was no chance now that the mage was just minding her own business and not searching for wayward homunculi; the mage had deliberately sought her out.

"I yield." she said automatically, trying to look submissive and meek. "I'll just come quietly with you, all right?" she asked, chatting to fill up the space and draw attention from the fact that her hand was creeping towards the knife at her belt. "I was going to turn myself in, anyways. I mean, I realized that I had no hope of evading you guys. And did you know there are spiders out here? Big, hairy spiders with lots of eyes." She'd actually liked the spiders, and had spent an interesting morning following one. She would have spent longer, but she'd accidently stepped on it.

She drew her knife and smiled ferally. "If you don't yield right now, I'll..." she glanced down at the knife uncertainly. She had just realized that she'd never fought with a knife before. "I'll poke you with the pointy end." she finished. It didn't sound very menacing, but it would have to do.

Anonymous

Rime looked at the girl, horrified. She didn't need her nose to tell that this was the mage; the yellow flowers were obvious clues. There was no chance now that the mage was just minding her own business and not searching for wayward homunculi; the mage had deliberately sought her out.

"I yield." she said automatically, trying to look submissive and meek. "I'll just come quietly with you, all right?" she asked, chatting to fill up the space and draw attention from the fact that her hand was creeping towards the knife at her belt. "I was going to turn myself in, anyways. I mean, I realized that I had no hope of evading you guys. And did you know there are spiders out here? Big, hairy spiders with lots of eyes." She'd actually liked the spiders, and had spent an interesting morning following one. She would have spent longer, but she'd accidently stepped on it.

She drew her knife and smiled ferally. "If you don't yield right now, I'll..." she glanced down at the knife uncertainly. She had just realized that she'd never fought with a knife before. "I'll poke you with the pointy end." she finished. It didn't sound very menacing, but it would have to do.

Anonymous

Hex took a step back, “I don’t mean you any harm…�

It seemed someone was pursuing this girl as well and Hex knew how she felt.

“I just heard you scream and I wondered what was wrong…I wasn’t following you.�

The other girl’s threat hadn’t been much of one but a knife was still a knife and it would hurt.

“I’m being followed as well…� Hex said looking at the ground, “…It’s a long story…�

[OOC couldn't think of anything O.O]

Anonymous

Rime was pleased to see that her thread had some effect. Still, she didn't believe one word that the other girl had said. She assumed that Hex, like her, was an incorrigible liar. No one could really sound so weak unless it was an act, especially not when said person was a mage.

"Go on, tell me your story." she said, striving for a bored, weary tone. She liked stories, although she certainly wouldn't believe the mage. She wasn't stupid, after all. "And if I don't like it, I'll slit your throat." She looked down at the knife again. "It's actually a bigger knife than it looks." she added.

(OOC: It happens to all of us...)

Anonymous

Hex was terrified; the girl in front of her was obviously not entirely stable. With very little chance of escape Hex didn’t really have much of a choice. She took a deep breath to steady her nerves.

“I’m a slave…or was until recently… I was employed by a noble in Ketra mostly to tend to his garden. I’m sure you’ve noticed I can use plant magic.�

The girl continued to stare at her so Hex continued.

“I accidentally found out that my master had several mistresses though and one of them in particular didn’t trust me and thought I would tell the master’s wife about her…About a week ago she came into the garden when I was trying to calm down one of the plants I had animated and threatened me…The plant didn’t like it and ….ate her…�

Now Hex looked back, it actually seemed quite funny or it would be if it didn’t mean she might be killed for it.

“I’ve been on the run ever since…�

Anonymous

Rime was surprised when the girl actually obeyed. She wasn't used to people actually listening to her; she thought that she'd have to threaten the girl again before she was told some transparent lies. She focused intently on Hex, listening greedily to the story.

She was disappointed to learn that it didn't sound that fanciful or transparent. It actually sounded as though it could happen. This mage had to be one of those idiot servant people.

It wasn't a very good story, Rime noted critically. What ever had possessed the girl to put hominivorous veggies into the tale? There weren't any dragons either, and every good tale had a dragon in it. She considered showing the girl how to tell a real story, but decided against it.

She didn't understand a lot of it. Why would she run away just because a mistress got eaten? Mistresses were like whores in more way than just the obvious; they were easily replaced. The girl had also mentioned that her master had several of them. So what was the problem?

"I don't believe you." Rime said. "I mean, it just sounds too real. You've obviously spent hours planning what to say." If the story had been more fanciful, then she would have accused Hex of assuming that Rime was gullible.

Anonymous

Hex thought the girl in front of her was too cynical for her own good and obviously didn’t trust her. Hex wondered why someone would be chasing the girl and wondered if she was a slave as well. If she had been, it was fairly obvious why she had run off, she was a psychopath.

Hex realised she didn’t really have any option but to fight the girl, she was never going to believe her. Just because Hex was sometimes a little careless with her powers didn’t mean she had no control over them. She didn’t really want to fight but she couldn’t really see any other option. For all she knew the girl could be a very good liar and she actually worked for Hex’s former master.

Hex scanned the ground with her eyes and saw a plant sapling just behind the girl’s right foot. She focused her power on it causing it to grow into a huge pink flower… with snapping jaws and sharp teeth.

[OOC Lol, monster flowers ^^]

Anonymous

Rime quickly jumped back, more annoyed than frightened. The mage was such a bad sport, she thought. Just because she’d criticized the story and tried to kill her didn’t mean that she had to get violent. Besides, she felt that it was very irresponsible of the mage to just bring forth new life without so much a by your leave.

She gave Hex an irritated look. "Really, do you mages really have to meddle with nature all the time? I'm sure the flower was perfectly happy the way it was before. I know I was very happy as a bunch of clay." Mages had no respect for the sanctity of life.

She sheathed the knife and crouched down, trying to appear less threatening. The poor flower-it must be frightened to death. Going from nonexistence to existence was a very harrowing experience-she should know. “Here, daisy, daisy, daisy, daisy, daisy,� she cooed, certain that her own indigestibility would protect her. "Everything's going to be fine."

Anonymous

Hex rolled her eyes; surely the girl knew she could speak to the flowers as well. Of course she had warned the flower first. It actually looked kind of playful as it stood there looking down at the girl, as if it had a new toy.

Despite the rather amusing scene, Hex couldn’t help wonder about something girl had said, that she was happy as a bunch of clay? So the girl couldn’t be human, she must have been brought to life by magic as well. But Hex could only think of one creature made from clay that looked human and she had always been taught it was not a good thing.

“You’re a Homunculus…� Hex said to the girl who was currently trying to calm down the large flower even though it didn’t seem to be frightened in the slightest.

Anonymous

Rime didn’t like the flower’s expression. It looked a bit condescending. Maybe it was laughing at her? Did flowers even laugh? The flower didn’t look very traumatized either, which she found very strange. Going from unliving to living had almost killed her, so to speak.

She looked at Hex and saluted mockingly. “So you finally figure it out. What is your command, fair mistress?� she intoned. That was pure mockery, but then it occurred to her that this lady positively reeked of magic. The mage had practically been catatonic after creating Rime.

Rime fed on magic. This girl here was a magical buffet. It seemed to Rime that there would be many advantages to traveling with the girl.

Anonymous

Hex didn’t like the homunculus’ tone and she didn’t like the way it was looking at her. She also knew performing magic in front of a homunculus could be dangerous but how else was she supposed to defend herself. Then again she didn’t want to turn the flower back into an ordinary one, mainly because that would be not so different from killing it. Aside from that she would have lost her only defence against the homunculus.

The other girl had a look on her face not unlike that of a wolf eying its prey but she had lowered her weapon and didn’t seem so intent on killing Hex now.

“I’m going to regret this…� Hex thought.
She whistled, causing the flower to hastily run to her side not unlike a puppy, quite a large, leafy puppy.

“I’m leaving now, if you try and follow me I will set him on you,� she said indicating the monster flower.

[OOC. Aww... Flower puppy ^^, I think I ought to name him ^^]

Anonymous

Did the mage really think that a giant flower could stop her? Of course, the giant flower probably could tear her to pieces, which would effectively kill her, but that really wasn't the point. Now that Rime had found Hex, she was going to stay. After all, it wasn't everyday that she met a walking salad bar.

This girl needed her, whether she knew it or not. Maybe the girl had a big bad...flower...defending her, but she was clumsy and not as clever as Rime was. If she wanted to survive, then she needed Rime's wits and knowledge. And possibly even Rime's map and compass. There was no easier way to get killed than walking into Reajh with a giant flower in tow.

"You need me." she stated flatly. "I've been avoiding hunters for a long while, and I know how to hide my tracks." She decided not to mention the ghost; that might cause the girl and her giant flower to panic. "Besides, you probably don't know where you're going, do you?" she said. "I know my way around Le'raana." That wasn't actually a lie; Rime did know where she was, but she didn't know where she was in relation to the world.

Anonymous

Hex was suspicious of the girl’s sudden change in attitude and she certainly didn’t like the idea of travelling with the girl no matter how useful it might be.

“I’ll be fine on my own,� Hex stated.
True, Hex didn’t know her way around very well and she also didn’t really know where to head but she would take her chances.

She started to walk off again but stopped when she heard a noise, it sounded like horses. She hoped her master’s servants hadn’t caught up with her, Hex’s flower creature seemed wary as well.

The sound got louder and louder until a group of riders burst few trees, rider she recognised, her master had finally found her.

Anonymous

No! This wasn’t how it was supposed to go! The mage was supposed to suddenly realize that Rime was really important and that without Rime, the mage wouldn’t be able to survive. She followed the mage, opening her mouth to explain exactly why she was necessary. She was certain that the mage would soon see sense.

Then, the group of riders found them. Rime didn’t recognize any of them, but one of them had the scent of magic about him. It wasn’t a lot of magic; really, the mage she wanted to travel with was far more powerful. The mage with that group wasn’t very powerful; he was probably just a dabbler for hire.

He seemed to recognize what she was almost immediately, though, and leaned over to whisper something to one of the other men. Rime’s eyes narrowed. She couldn’t let any of them get out alive. That would not only make her seem more useful to the mage, but also keep the mage with the group from tattling on her, She was an oddity; most homunculi were small, but she was a giant. Okay, compared to most humans she wasn’t that tall, but she was certainly taller than a miniature creature that was one foot tall.

She sprung into action…by hiding behind the giant flower and hoping that no one would notice her.

Anonymous

Hex eyes narrowed when she saw the master’s son with the group, he was a magic user too, an earth mage but not a very powerful one. He had always been jealous of her. He seemed to notice the homunculus and informed another of the riders of her presence but as he was doing so she jumped behind the flower creature and out of their line of sight. Hex almost laughed at the man’s expression when he saw the homunculus had disappeared. His eyes scanned the area in suspicion but he then turned to Hex.

“My father is very angry with you slave girl,� he jeered, “I hated that woman too but I didn’t order one of my pets on her.�

Hex glared at him, “It’s not my fault if Benjamin didn’t like her,�

“Benjamin? Oh is that what you named the flower, how…cute,� he said in disgust, “And I suppose you’ve named this one too.�

Hex smiled mockingly, “Meet Jemima,� she then paused for affect and said, “Sic em.�

[OOC, Lol, Benjamin and Jemima, there's going to be a theme in flower creature names btw ^^]