Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where the hell are you! (Open)

Started by Anonymous, June 06, 2008, 11:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Where is he!?"

Heata jumped over the banister to the horror of some nearby servants and landed gracefully on all four below. She then continued her sprint down the corridor. Where the hell was Saey! She had a letter for him. Fortunately at this time of day, there weren't too many people she had to slalom around.

"Saey! Where are you!?"

It must have been a strange sight to those not regular to the castle; a girl of about 19 with purple hair, cat ears and tail running as if for her life around the corridors. Heata was a nekomimi which explained her strange appearance, in laymen's terms, a cat girl and not really what you would expect to find in a castle.

Finally tiring, Heata sat down on a nearby step and leant back.

"Argh! Where is he!?" she squealed.

If she took too long to get the letter to him, he'd get mad and he was scary when he was mad. He wasn't evil though, he was nice...just not the friendliest person around.

Some servants glanced at Heata momentarily as they passed before hurrying away. She was obviously scaring them. It wasn't because she was nekomimi though, it was because usually she was happy and cheerful but at the moment looked agitated and tired.

She got to her feet again and started up the stairs she was sat on, at a sprint once again. Cats always landed on their feet so if she fell she would land on all fours, at least she hoped anyway.  

"Saey!"

Narrowly avoiding running into a guard, Heata sped round a corner and suddenly hit something hard. Her theory was wrong; she fell backwards and landed squarely on her ass.

"Owie...I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was going..."

Tally

Before Heata loomed a wall, but it was a wall quite unlike any other.  Rather than the dark gray stone of which the castle was made, this wall was of a deep and rich purple.

And it was scaly.

And upon the impact of Heata's body, it began to move.

The wall of purple scales shifted, rose, and resolved itself into a dragon, neck and wings and tail uncurling to reveal her full size.  Royal purple cloaked the whole of her, and a set of simple gray horns fanned backward upon her head.  Along the length of her neck traveled a white mane, feathery and full.  The hallway, high-arched and wide as it was, would still not have allowed a creature so large and yet there she lay.  A glance upward and past her would have revealed how: just past her upper body the ceiling and walls ended, the floor of the hallway jutting out into open space beyond.

Her great head came down, brilliant golden eyes as large as a man's fist taking in this strange little creature who had run into her.  She bared he teeth.  It was a smile, though she sometimes forgot it could look frightening to those unfamiliar with dragons.

"Here now, little one."  Her voice, though deep, was distinctly feminine.  "Best be careful with all the construction going on.  Turn a wrong corner and you might find yourself wishing you could fly."  To illustrate her point, she folded her wings close to her body and shifted to the side, revealing the demolished hallway beyond.  The tiled floor went on for another twenty or so paces, still supported from below, before ending abruptly.  The entire wing beyond was gone, torn down in lieu of the complete reconstruction.  Scaffolding reared up on either side of the hallway floor, and laborers toiled over stone and wood and mortar.  From below came a constant din of hammering and shouting.

The view, however, was gorgeous.  Three stories up they were with the whole of Ketra stretched out beyond, hazy in the springtime heat and surrounded by a patchwork of farmer's fields in spectacular growth.

"That's why I'm laying here, you know.  To keep people out of the mess back there.  Angel ran off to fetch some rope to section this hallway off.  He should be back soon."

She tapped her claws upon the tiles idly, leaving cracks in them with each stab.  It didn't matter.  This whole hallway would be gone soon, and the construction would soon engulf the entirety of the castle.  To a dragon, the scurrying antics of all these laborers and engineers looked frantic and random, rather like the activity of a disturbed anthill, but humans had built this castle so they must know what they were doing.  For her part she merely watched, finding the whole process a pleasant curiosity, lending her aid and advice as requested.

A consultant they called her, to ensure the place was made fit for the dragons who would soon call it home.

"I don't think I have met you, yet," she said, a little cautiously.  Elves, humans, haithians...all these little two-legged sprites yet looked the same to her, and she had trouble telling one individual from another sometimes.  It came from spending most of her life among dragonkind.  "Well met, my dear.  I am Shai.  How shall I call you?  And where do you run to with such haste?  Perhaps I might direct you."

Anonymous

Heata got to her feet then looked up at what she had hit.

"Oh my god it's a dragon!" she thought.

Why was there a dragon in the castle? Wasn't it a little big to fit, it certainly looked a little cramped. And it was baring its teeth at her, was it angry? Pissing off a dragon was not the most sensible thing to do.

She was about to say 'I'm really sorry, please don't eat me!' when it spoke.

"Here now, little one. Best be careful with all the construction going on. Turn a wrong corner and you might find yourself wishing you could fly.    

Oh, it was warning her about the corridor. Had the teeth baring been a smile then? That was certainly strange. The dragon then revealed the demolished hallway beyond. Heata was certainly glad the dragon was there, at the speed she had been running she would have ran straight off...and fallen to her death she knew now that her theory of always landing on her feet had been proved wrong.

At the least the view before she died would have been nice, she could see all of Ketra, it was really pretty.

"That's why I'm laying here, you know. To keep people out of the mess back there. Angel ran off to fetch some rope to section this hallway off. He should be back soon."

"Oh, that's good. Thanks for saving me a guess. I'd have gone splat if I fell down there."

She supposed a dragon was as good a barrier as any, it was big enough to block the corridor and scary enough to stop sensible people approaching. Even though it seemed nice, her size claws and teeth just made her frightening to the small cat girl. The dragon tapped its claws causing cracks in the tiles making Heata quite aware of how it could kill her with one swipe.

"I don't think I have met you, yet," it said eventually.

"Oh, my name's Heata, pleased to meet you," she replied.

It seemed to be friendly so Heata decided to relax for the moment.

"Well met, my dear. I am Shai. How shall I call you? And where do you run to with such haste? Perhaps I might direct you."

"I have a letter for Saey...I mean Ambassador Geleden. He's really scary when he's mad so I don't want to be too long getting to him. But I can't find him," she explained.

Saey wasn't usually this hard to find, Heata couldn't think where he could have gone. Usually if he knew she was looking for her he would use his powers to help her find him. Was he intentionally hiding himself?

Tally

"Heata."  Shai would never forget the name.  Long after this little one's life had flickered out like bright, brief candle flame her name would linger for millenia in Shai's memory.  To know a dragon was to know a kind of immortality of your own.

Shai raised her head until her horns brushed the ceiling and looked down at Heata, considering that other strange name.  Ambassador Geleden.  It did not strike her as familiar, but then she had met so few of the people here.  Most did not speak to her either out of intimidation or just because they didn't know how to start a conversation with a creature so different from themselves.  She had met Angel of course—he had invited her here in the first place—and Yuri and the king.  She was on best terms with the engineers overseeing the reconstruction of the castle.  They were forever measuring her or asking her to test her weight on something or questioning her endlessly over the living habits of dragons.

It was all very cute.

"I don't know this Ambassador Geleden I fear.  He has not come this way."  The sunlight streaming in from behind her cast her into a silhouette and hid most of her features save the luminescent golden eyes.  "But when you find him, you may inform him that it is my fault you took long in getting back to him.  He can take it up with me if he is displeased with your service, yes?  I would help you look for him if I could, but of course I would not fit down most halls of the castle."    Her eyes flicker up past Heata's head.  "Ah, but here is Angel.  He knows everyone.  It would delight him to help you I'm sure."

Catching the tail end of the conversation, Angel suppressed a sigh.  What was this, now?  Some kid to waste more of his time?  Behind him followed two footmen with a long length of rope.  They began tying it off between two pillars on opposite sides of the hall while Angel, elegant and dignified in a dark uniform, stopped before the kid and clasped his hands behind his back.  His chilly expression did not soften as he looked down at her.

"Angel," Shai said, "This is Heata.  She is lost and looking for an Ambassador Geleden."  She bared her teeth in a rather more mischievous smile than before.  "I know you would be happy to help her look for him."

"Of course," Angel said, and now that he looked at Heata, he did recognize her.  They had never met formally, but he'd seen her about the castle, and the ambassador as well.  "All right then.  Where have you looked for the ambassador thus far?"  Angel gestured for her to join him in returning back the way he'd come, ducking under the rope and holding it up for her.

Anonymous

Heata's tail and ears drooped slightly when Shai said she didn't know Saey. If you met him once you were unlikely to forget him, he was slightly unusual looking. Slightly in that in looked normal except for a black blindfold over his eyes. His vision was limited and he said the blindfold was to prevent his physical vision distracting him. Instead he found his way around and 'saw' with his physic abilities. They were what made him scary.

Shai then mentioned that if Saey was angry at Heata she could blame her. That was alright then, she doubted Saey would take on a dragon. He wasn't stupid, obviously he was intelligent, he was an ambassador after all. It was a shame really, apparently he was a really good fighter, if it wasn't for his sight he'd probably have been a leading military figure in Serendipity. But then she wouldn't have met him...Maybe it was for the best.

When Angel arrived, Heata recognised him. Not by name but she had seen him around the castle. He didn't look very friendly though despite Shai's comment that it would delight him to help her. He must have enough sense not to annoy a dragon as well.

She climbed under the rope when Angel held it up for her and then answered his question.

"Um...I've tried pretty much everywhere in the castle, even the dungeons. I just can't find him."

Tally

As Heata slipped under the rope, Angel shot an exasperated look back at Shai, who wore a pleased expression on her reptilian face, golden eyes half-lidded and jaws slightly parted, a pale, thin line of fangs gleaming back at him.  He let go his annoyance, accepted his circumstances.  Mercurial human emotion was a paltry force next to the immovable, immense intellect of a dragon.  His irritation would only be a source of entertainment for her, and a drain on him.

But once he made an effort at locating the ambassador he had every intention of dumping this child off on someone else.  Maybe Tarlaka.

Within the castle keep the din of construction faded, replaced by sounds of the daily bustle of castle life.  There was an excited energy in the air, had been ever since the king had returned with his precious cargo.  Thus far, the exact details of their arrangement with the dragons of the Terrin Mountains remained unspoken, save between Tarlaka and the regent Yuri, but the reconstruction of the outer and upper levels of the castle made it plain to anyone with eyes that Adela Castle would never be the same.  Speculations flew through the gossip circles on precisely what function the dragons would provide, and this pleased Angel for he had been the origin of this treaty.  And he made sure everyone knew it.

Nodding here and there to people who greeted him in passing, Angel lead the way through hallways lined with fine Essyrni rugs and hung with tapestries depicting scenes of Adelan history, some accurate and some pure mythology.  They eventually found themselves in the great hall, where preparations were underway for the evening meal.  Long tables took up most of the space in the large room, with chandeliers of typical rustic Adelan aesthetic hanging over all.  Here Angel paused, giving the throng of people a cursory perusal.  His thought was to check the likely places the ambassador might be then dismiss the girl as no longer his problem.  "Regrettably I cannot spend long wandering the castle in search of your lost master.  I'll do what I can, but I will have to go back and check on the eggs soon."  There.  Now she wouldn't be assuming he had all day to waste.

"Do you see him?" he asked her.  Then, out of curiosity, he added, "What is so important that you must find him right away?  Could you not wait for him in his rooms or leave a message there for him?"  Possibly the ambassador was in audience with the king, in which case she would just have to wait.  But if she had truly looked all over the castle then where could he be?

Angel gave the great hall one more scan.  The servants were giving special attention to the dias at the head of room, where the king would be dining for the first time in months.  His presence had inspired them all and re-energized the castle in a way Angel would never had suspected Akkiel to be capable of.