Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One big family getting to know one another.

Started by Anonymous, August 27, 2008, 04:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Weeeeeee

So this board has been a little dead lately o_O I be leaving soon for an audition with my trusty violin. Wish me luck, I do not perform well in front of people. All I think about is how everyone's staring at me @_@

Anonymous

Sweet! Are you doing a solo or band performance?

Go the flute!!!

Anonymous

Flute! =) I don't play flute, but they look cool x]

It was solo, but what I was going out for was to see what chair I get for the huge group, we play for fancy smancy people and I don't like wearing the outfit...it makes me look fat. :'[ Anyway, it's good for practice and more experience and all that jazz.

I felt so stupid, though. I got there when I was supposed to but I was waiting for two and half hours before I even got to play my stuff.

Anonymous

They make the outfits so the band looks good, not the individual. I looked like a tool in mine. What do you want to get experience for? Are you planning on going further with violin?

Waiting is never fun; it's what makes you nervous, which makes you make mistakes. Do you play any other instruments or sing?

Anonymous

Awesome, another musician. Smiley approves.

Usually when I have a lot of time to wait I'll just go through my music in my head over and over, sort of mentally practicing even if the situation doesn't allow for making sound. In that way, waiting isn't so bad because you have something to focus on rather than thinking "Hope I don't screw up."

So did it go well?

Anonymous

I hope to go further with violin if I can, but it isn't really what I'm hoping to do as a job. More like just something I'm really passionate about, you know? Just something I'd love to know a lot about.

I also play piano, though I'm a bit out of it, and I sing for my own pleasure. x] I've been told I sound like many horrible things so apparently I'm not a good singer for traditional stuff. Give me a chorus piece or something opera-y though and I can nail soprano parts. :] I like being able to hit high notes but my talking voice doesn't sound like I can. xD

Thankies for the tip, Smiley, I'll need to try it sometime if I can. I was able to practice the whole wait but I didn't. Probably the first hour and the last half hour but the rest of the time I just sat around and read or listened to music.

From my perspective it went well but I'll find out before the week is out how good I really did.

Anonymous

Well hey, if you're passionate about it then maybe you should consider making a career out of it. Lord knows we could use more classically-trained musicians out there, although I suppose violinists aren't exactly in short supply nowadays. Either way playing and performing is fun.

I learned a little piano myself, 'though I could never coordinate the left and right hands very well. Can't sing too well, though, although on occasion I do like to try. Usually when nobody's around to hear it.

That actually sounds like the way to do it right there. Practicing the whole time might wear you out before you get to perform - though maybe not so much for you on the violin as it would for me on the trumpet - so allowing yourself a break in there to read or whatever couldn't hurt. As long as you've got your mind focused on something other than the audition as a whole, so you don't give yourself time to worry and minimize nervousness. Usually as long as you're focused on what you've been practicing you should be fine.

Anonymous

Yeah, so much competition @_@

I'm not that great of a singer either, though I've had my share of teachers want to teach me because of 'raw talent'. I never have the time...mostly a shower and car singer xD

Oh my, a trumpet?! Eek! I have not the lungs for that. @_@ Anyway, I murdered the first line of my piece. =/ Other than that I think everything went well. I ended up going for a quick run with a friend of mine to kill some nerves. xD

Anonymous

=3
I've always wanted to learn an instrument! I knew a little sax way back.
VERY little.

I mostly focus on writing. I may try and send off some poems to contests and magazines soon. Anyone know places that might be a good spot to look?

Anonymous

Wow, I wouldn't have the courage to send in any of my stuff for contests or anything. @_@ Go for it! I don't have any idea where you might send them to, though. :[

And to anyone who is interested in knowing, I got 10th chair 2nd violin from that orchestra audition. This is my first year trying for this specific group so I'm really excited! xD Basically it translates to my being the 36th best nonprofessional violinist in the area. =D I know, exciting, right? I'd be too afraid to play for cash anyhow, but I'm not any good for that. xD

So yay...my exciting news. Now I get to slave over music for the next four months. 8D Fun, eh?

Anonymous

Random question, but I guess I'm just curious.

Did anyone ever see V for Vendetta? Just itching to know of any other fans since it's one of my favorite movies...

Anonymous

The V for Vendetta movie was awesome!

I have a V mask. x)

Anonymous

Aww yay!! =D I just love that movie...so much. x]

I want a V mask :cry: I bet I'd get in trouble or something, though, where I moved there's oldish people on all sides so I'd probably scare them. xD

Haha anyway, that's cool! =) Nah, V is the cool 8D

Anonymous

Do people celebrate the 5th of November where you live? They might have the masks in England around Guy Forkes Day. They may even have them in America.

That movie is cool. Has anyone read the book? Is it good?

My cat says "5ttttttt" he is eating "caramelo koala" from my fingers.

Anonymous

I haven't heard of any celebrations around here, but I just get really into it because my birthday's on the 5th. x] Never seen the masks for sale either, though I may just be looking in the wrong places.

I want to read the books :0 I've seen the book that compiles all of them and then the comic books too. =) Haven't had a chance to get any, though. :[

Anonymous

My friends and I used to celebrate November 5th in school together with our V-masks. Nobody else seemed to get what we were doing. Haha.

I got my V mask at a comic book convention, but they have V costumes in Halloween stores that come with those masks. At least, I saw them last year.

I haven't read the book yet either. xD

Anonymous

*pokes the world* You all died! D:

Hehe.

So, besides being busy has anyone been doing anything lately? xD

Anonymous

Work, craving the internet. Not much else. How about you?

I really have to get the internet at home.

hikaru.dream

Loads of tests for some strange reason. Also I feel like I don't have enough time. I should have been on the computer for hours and I still haven't seemed to have finished anything x_x

Hopefully, I can reply tomorrow mdu...
But on the other hand, I always say that....

Anonymous

*pokes thread*

Erm.  Hi.  I used to play the violin. [/contributes to thread]