Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Meet The Assassin! (Blink)

Started by Wrathwyrm, July 02, 2017, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Soon after the morning gathering of the team...they split up.  The plan called for two of them - Volkhard and the Hangman - to go ahead north towards Connlaoth, while Sano, Nashya, and Rena headed west, into Falial Providence.  Not too terribly far from a town called Zefras lay an entrance to the Meeting Place, where they would meet with Keefe.  Sano remembered that this town they were heading for was, in fact, Rena's town of residence.  She was essentially taking them home before they headed out for the Meeting Place.  The three of them were carriage-bound, not far from the town now.

"You said the cave was right up against the mountain, Rena.  North or South?"

"South, sorry.  I know I'm taking you out of your way, but it beats going back home for this part of the lure."

"Yeah, it does."

They had a plan to use Keefe's assassin suit and some shadow work to make a target that their target - the vampire warlord - would not be able to resist.  Hopefully, she had come through on this...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Along the way, just as an amusing point of reference...there were two figures concealed in one of the forests they had passed through, one of them a masked goblin and the other a giant spider.  You might find this a trifle hard to conceal, but when you're rolling with Gary Blight, you learn a few methods.  You also learn who to rob and who NOT to rob.  In this case, when the spider looked to the masked goblin and made an inquiring noise...

"No, we will not be robbing them, actually.  There's a twisted shadowy aura all over the place, and that indicates great dark magic, the likes of which I may not be able to repel.  We will find some other bountiful targets."

Gary Blight could see Nashya's magic aura clear as day and that it extended from the carriage she rode in.  He would not be testing his luck on that.  No, thank you.

Blink

Rugged roads and a hard seat may make it hard for anyone to relax on a journey like this yet Nashya had managed to make due. Lack of sleep was something she was used to and sometimes... you just gotta sleep. And so while Sano and Rena talked Nashya had managed to drift off, her body slumping to the side as she leaned against Sano in a blissful sleep.

But even as she slept her mind was still at work, wading the dark waters of her mind. There was the occasional ripple here and there, some closer than others, but for the most part, things seemed to be pretty quiet. She thought that maybe she had felt something not that far off, or better yet two somethings, but it wasn't enough to raise concern just yet.

Her mind was everywhere at once, parts of it here while other parts were back in Shadowmire still disguising Demagogues face. Already she could tell this journey was going to take a toll on her both mentally and physically but still, she persevered.

"I still can't believe you are going through with this."

An inaudible mumble escaped her lips as she shifted, readjusting her head on Sano's shoulder before falling back into a full on slumber.

Wrathwyrm

Of course, they had no idea what went on inside of Nashya's mind.  Externally, her resting her head on Sano's shoulder put him at ease...and put a smile on Rena's face.  She spoke in a low voice.

"You two are cute together.  I'm a little jealous."

"How does someone like you, respected in Serenidpity as you are, not have anyone yourself?"

"Haven't found 'im yet.  If the heart doesn't know, how can I?"

Kind of a fair point.  She just hadn't found anyone yet.  Still, time would pass, and soon they would roll into town.  Zefras was not small, but it was not large, either.  It was a mining town, made to support just that.  They were coming to a halt now.

"Welcome to my hometown.  If you need anything before we go, lemme know.  We can take the rest of this journey by foot, stretch our legs out."

Blink

With the slowing of the carriage, Nashya's eyes fluttered open and she sat up. At first, she was confused at where they were, having slept the last hour or so of the journey. However, when Rena spoke up it quickly clarified everything for her.

So this was Zefras...

Yawning Nashya brought a hand to her mouth and then looked to Sano. "Sorry about that" she blushed, referring to falling asleep on his arm. "I will admit though that you are quite comfortable." Smiling she then moved to get out of the carriage, thankful that Rena had thought of stretching out their legs with the final bit of their journey.

"So this is where you are from huh?" The shadowmancer twirled around as she took in their new surroundings. "I like it."

Wrathwyrm

Yeah, like Sano minded her presence, am I right?  Comfortable, though?  Yes, indeed.

"Well, it's a really good mantle."

His black mantle had been a little something from Keefe for his travels, having known that he'd be having said travels.  It was comfortable, stylish, and obscured what he had on his person like a travel cloak.  If he couldn't live with it, it wouldn't be very good, now would it?  Still, in the time it had taken Nashya to assess their surroundings, someone had alreay come up to Rena, talking about town things and 'You should come over again soon for lunch' and such-like.  Sano noticed that several people had even waved as she begged off for a rain check.

"I'm sorry, I really can't right now.  I'm only in town for a little while and...hmmm."

She turned to them now.

"Something wrong?"

"No, not wrong.  We're a pretty tight community, and my family has been big here for years.  Would you two be against lunch after we've been to the Meeting Place?"

A long-ish journey by carriage, a hike into the wilderness, and then maybe top for lunch?  That didn't sound too bad.  Sano looked at Nashya with a shrug.

"I could eat.  It's an open offer, after all."

Blink

Turns out Rena was more popular in this small town than Nashya had anticipated. Already people were coming up to her and inviting her over for dinner. In truth when Rena invited them to one Nashya smiled.

"I would love to."

"You really do make me sick... I hope you know that." Eye flick.

Sano should have been well aware by now that Nashya was a fan of food, especially the sweet kind. Already she was imagining all the delicious treats these people had to offer.

"Let's get going now so we can get back in plenty of time." Again Nashya's desire for good food motivating her in all sorts of ways.

Wrathwyrm

How many times was Shadow Nashya going to comment?  Couldn't it go to sleep, as well?  Anyway, Rena gave her friend the nod that they would be back in a while, then turned waved them on, saying "Let's get going!" before marching off in a semi-southernly direction.  Walking along at a good pace would deliver them to the location in a relatively short time, as a few miles off the beaten path was basically nothing to those in shape.  There was no Bog of Eternal Peril or a Fire Swamp, and most Rodents Of Unusual Sizes were afraid of people.  It was just a walk through grassland to reach some woodland.

"You know, it's funny.  I always though the Meeting Place was a bit more well-known."

"Well, for me, I can understand.  I lived nowhere special, and that's after not living anywhere.  Plus, I'm from Connlaoth, where they'd probably try to blow it up."

"Yeah, that's actually impossible to do.  It must not be that well known in Serendipity if Nashya didn't know, though."

Blink

Walking alongside Sano Nashya also saw this as a simple stroll. This was going to be simpler than she thought. For some reason when Rena mentioned this place Nashya figured it would be a well-guarded entrance or something, yet so far nothing amazing had happened at all.

"I never needed it" Nashya shrugged, stepping over a large log before continuing on.

"You're welcome" Eye flick.

"If anyone had ever mentioned it to me before I probably wasn't even paying attention. All sorts of other things I probably found as a priority." Nashya then pointed at her head, insinuating that something as simple as a place talked about wouldn't register if she didn't think it important enough. There was already simply too much going on up there.

"You were probably too busy salivating over Sano." Eye Flick.

"I was not!" Nashya defended herself as she lifted a hand to her chest. "I'll have you know that I pay attention to plenty of things regardless of whether or not he is around."

"Really? Eye flick.

"Yes... really." Nashya scoffed, crossing her arms as she lifted her nose. Quickly though she looked at Sano out of the corner of her eye, immediately all of the frustration melting away.

"Hey..." Eye flick.

"What!?"

"Another log..." Nashya flicked her eyes and then before she could do anything else was tripping over a log like the one she had sidestepped moments before.

Wrathwyrm

The conversation had been pleasant enough...at least until you-know-who decided to butt in.  That shadow was starting to aggravate Sano, mostly because it never seemed to let up on Nashya.   When it culminated in her tripping over a log, Sano quickly moved to steady her so she wouldn't fall flat on her face in the brush or something.  And then, he glared in the direction of where Nashya looks every time her shadow is irritating her.

"Do you need a cracker?  Is that it?  Are you distracting the one carrying you because you're cranky?"

Aaand here we see the return of the parrot jokes, with Rena chiming in an "Awk!" for good measure.  Because - with their destination so near, and an important part of the plan within their grasp - they really did not need this now.

Blink

Thankful could be a word used to describe how Nashya felt in that moment. With Sano keeping her from falling face first into the dirt she smiled up until he began talking to her other self. It was amusing how he looked to her right like she was actually standing right there.

"I don't think she has anything to say," Nashya added, starting to laugh when Rena made a noise mimicking a parrot. However, she could feel her darker-self narrowing her eyes in discontent.

Turning back to Sano she smiled again. "Thanks." she blushed as she reached up to tuck a stray hair behind her ear. "Let's get going shall we?"

Wrathwyrm

"Yeah, let's go."

Along the way, they might've seen some distant wolves, but none of them would make the Meeting Place their home, say.  The feeling it gave off was not a homey feeling, so you wouldn't want to live there, say.  Call it an effect of whatever magic caused the place to connect the way it does to other places.  It felt like transition, not a place of staying.  The cave was, therefore, unguarded and unoccupied.

Strangely enough, after only a few moments of walking in the dark...they were outside again!  It was a lovely day out on an unspecified grassy countyside with trees placed here and there in non-thick woodsy parts.  It was always calming and beautiful here.  Sano was very surprised by this, though Rena just smiled.

"Well, this is the Meeting Place.  From here on in, you're the one leading.  I don't know anything about Keefe, so only you can say which part she's in, Sano."

"Oh, well that's easy enough.  She's that black spot in the distance, against that tree."

Yyyup.  There was a figure that looked like a humanoid ferret in black clothing, resting against a tree.  Hmm...  How long had she been waiting?

Blink

Before she knew it Nashya was walking in a lovely landscape after exiting the cave. "Wow..." she whispered, letting her eyes glimmer as they took in such beautiful scenery. Nashya was dumbstruck with just how peaceful it was here.

Rena's words went in one ear and out the other as she walked behind them... too distracted by their new environment to even notice the black dot off in the distance. However, when Sano spoke up and pointed Keefe out Nashya's attention was suddenly back in focus.

"Well, that was easier than I thought it would be." She chimed in, skipping up next to Sano. "You're not gonna let her kill me right?" Sending a nervous gaze Nashya's eyes went back and forth. "I mean... if a certain parrot decides to chime in. I know some people don't take my crazy very well."

Nashya was half joking but the serious thought of being thought out to be some delusional girl with bad intentions lingered in the back of her mind.

Wrathwyrm

Yeah, what got Sano back to focus was Nashya meant about attacking and killing Keefe.

"You won't kill her.  Either of you."

He was stating that as a matter of fact.  It didn't matter what happened.  He wouldn't allow it, and neither would Keefe.  And frankly, neither would Nashya allow that to happen.  Rena was about to say something, but she let it drop for now.  Keefe knew the rules of this place, so there wouldn't be a problem.  Soon, they came up to the tree she was resting against.  The first thing of note was that Keefe seemed very content, though as her ears twitched, she must've known they were coming.  Her violet eyes opened after that.  She regarded them all from a relaxed position.

"Well, I see you made it."

"It's good to see you again, Keefe."

"Same.  I really miss kicking your butt.  I had to get someone else to fill in for that."

"Eh?  Who?"

"Can't tell you.  No offense, but...for their sake, I won't say."

She wasn't giving any details about home, and Sano knew not to, as well.

Blink

Well, at least Sano was sure that nothing would happen and in a way that put Nashya at ease. After that, her attention fell on Keefe. She didn't seem deathly injured but then again Nashya wasn't quite sure of how much time had passed since the incident occurred. For all she knew it was months ago.

She watched on as the two made small talk about kicking each other's butts and then even more when Keefe mentioned having someone else to fill in for that. So she had found a new student? Nashya couldn't help but wonder if it were a young child in the same position Sano was when Keefe found him. Poor thing...

There wasn't really much for her to say in this situation and so Nashya kept her mouth shut while she stood behind Sano. The last thing she wanted was for Keefe to think her rude if she jumped in and introduced herself

Wrathwyrm

Yeah, had actually been a while, considering that he'd been in Adela and Essyrn prior to his time roaming Serendipity.  To prove this fact, Keefe grabbed the trunk of the tree behind her and flipped back and up the tree 'till her foot claws took hold, then adjusted her arms so that when she released her feet, she could just slide down into a standing position.  The very observant would notice that while this was rather fluid, she had winced when she stretched like that.  Other important observations would be that she'd been lying against a small pack while against the tree a moment ago.

"Wow, you really have recovered nicely."

"Still hurts right here, though."

The ferret indicated her stomach area as she approached him.  Then, pausing only to say "Thank you.", Keefe then hugged the young man, which immediately embarrassed him, of course.  Anyone watching Keefe, though, would notice her nose twitching as she sniffed something while she pulled back.

"You're the one who said it hurt like hell and...okay, what's so funny?"

The beastkin was beginning to snicker.

"I was just getting an idea of where you've been and...would you care to introduce me to your friends?"

Aw crap.  The nose knows!  Sano, surprised, did take a moment to introduce Nashya Belvedere and Rena Goldswith.  Keefe nodded at this.

"I do so love Serendipity."

Tags: