Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's the little things that mean the most

Started by Marjorie, September 25, 2018, 03:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

This thread contains snapshots that happen over the course of the two years before Imogen and Arcturus become a couple.

Three days after Arcturus confessed his feelings to Imogen...

Acrturus came down stairs late, after supper, after his bath in the hot springs, and after the guests that were at the inn only for a drink and a meal had gone back home. At this time of day he knew he'd find Imogen helping to clean up the dining hall. He smiled softly at Imogen. "Can I help you with that?" He reached out a hand toward the broom that she held, though didn't take it until or unless she offered it to him. 

Incandesa

Arcturus' offer nearly startled Imogen out of her boots. She was so used to being alone at this time of day, just going through what needed to be done. "Oh no, you don't have to," she said. "It would be rude of me to have a guest do chores." The words tumbled out of her mouth as she held the broom to her chest. She wasn't really sure what to do from here. She didn't want to send him away, but there wasn't any real reason for him to stay either. "Is-is there something you need from me... Sir?" There was a deliberate formality in the question, one that implied the relationship she still viewed them in.

Marjorie

Arcturus frowned slightly, but it could not be mistaken for anything but a hint of disappointment. "Please call me Arcturus," he said gently, though he wouldn't object to her more formal form of address. "If it would please you," he added, "I only wished to help you. I do believe I've been a guest a good while longer than usual, and your family has been more than generous to me. I wish only to repay your kindness in turn."

Incandesa

When Arcturus sounded disappointed over simply wishing to help her, Imogen couldn't help but feel a little guilty. Even if he was convinced that she would his "fated" soulmate, or whatever it was he called it, he did seem to genuinely want to help her. And it was only sweeping she supposed. There was hardly anything particularly alluring or romantic about a simple chore.

Reluctantly, she handed him the broom. It was as if she couldn't bare to see him distressed because of her, however small. "Well, if you insist," she said quietly. Then she stepped back, not sure what to do with herself now.

Marjorie

Arcturus smiled, his eyes lighting on her warmly. Romance had it's place, but it had nothing to do with what he was here for at the moment. Real caring was in the everyday little things. Meaningful relationships were built on a foundation of caring, dedication, and respect. Romantic gestures were good and well, and Arcturus was in deed a fan of stories of courtly love, but real life was not a story book.

He took the broom into his hand, and brushed his fingertips lightly against her hand as they passed by before he stepped away from her and went about sweeping the room. He was careful not to miss any speck of dust or dirt.

--
Several days later...

Arcturus was up and out of his room early. He didn't need to sleep much, as long as he kept up his daily meditation. Even Imogen and her family were not yet up readying the fires for the daily bread, when he rose and left his room. It was spring now, and the snow was melting, though it would be a lie to say it was truly warm here now... however with the melt, the ground was nourished with water, and plants were a bloom.

He set out, past the village, and into the wild lands around it. He collected an arm full of wild flowers and brought them back to the in. His ability to move silently, allowed him to move threw the kitchen without waking anyone. He set glasses of water out - one on every table, and filled them all with flowers before returning to his room to meditate as he usually did in the early hours of the morning before the sun was up.

Incandesa

When Imogen woke up that morning and went downstairs, she found the flowers in the glasses. She looked around to see who had done it, but her family insisted none of them had done it. Somehow, she had a feeling she knew exactly who had done it, and it brought a small smile to her face. Later that day, she slipped a note under his door. All it said was "Thank you."

--

The next day

As Imogen was cutting vegetables for the morning breakfast, she slipped and sliced her left thumb. She managed to clean up the contaminated food and awkwardly bandage her thumb, but it made chores like dishwashing and feeding the horses much more difficult.

Still, she didn't want to make a big deal of it, so she didn't draw any attention to it unless they asked. Father was willing to give her some easier tasks, but there were still a few things that she couldn't avoid. One of which was bringing out the food to all of the guests at meal time. While carrying the trays, she had to hold them balanced on her hip so that she only needed to grip with her fingers. It was an awkward position, but one that was effective for the task.

Marjorie

Arcturus returned to his room in the evening to retrieve a fresh change of clothes for a bath before he had supper. When he opened the door to his room though, he found a little note - all it said was thank you. It brought a bright smile to his lips, and he pulled it up to his nose. It smelled like her. He folded it neatly and tucked it into his dresser drawer. After he was washed and changed, he tucked the little note into his robes, above one of his hearts.

--

Arcturus was sitting at a table, alone, for supper, as he usually did, when he saw Imogen awkwardly fumbling with a serving tray as she passed out meals. He thumb was bandaged, and the idea that she was injured -- even in some minor way, pulled a frown across his lips. He stood and moved to her side with an inhuman fluid grace to his movements. "Imogen," he said with warmth, and a soft smile, "please, let me help you with that." He paused just briefly, to allow her to give her assent or deny him, before reaching for the tray and passing out the plates.

Incandesa

Imogen's first instinct was to reject him, to tell him that she could handle it, when she fumbled once again. A cup fell from the ever growing pile of dishes and smashed to the ground, spraying both ale and glass shards everywhere. "Oh, I'm so sorry!" she said. She fumbled around some more, but it was clear that there was going to be no way for her to handle this without at least a bit of help.

With a heavy sigh, she turned to Arcturus. "A bit of help would be much appreciated," she said. Imogen didn't dare move from her spot until a broom a found, lest she be the unfortunate one to step on glass as well as have a bleeding thumb. Today was simply getting worse and worse.

Marjorie

Arcturus moved quickly, almost a blur and fetched the broom. He swept up the glass into a neat little pile. Then he took the tray from Imogen and traded her for the broom. He smiled faintly at the guests around the table, and asked polity who had what, and served out the plates and cups for Imogen.

Then he turned to Imogen with a warm smile, "If you'd like, you can bring out the trays and tell me which table they go to, and I can serve them for you." He seemed genuinely pleased at the prospect of helping her.

Incandesa

Imogen blinked, speechless for a moment before her senses came back to her. "Oh, umm, thank you," she said quietly. She pointed out where the dishes were supposed to go before returning to the kitchen to retrieve some more. When she brought them out, she handed them over to Arcturus and began directing him on where they needed to go. It was relaxing, if not slightly awkward.

Over the next few days, Imogen continued to need help from her unexpected suitor due to her injury. She always felt bad having to ask him for what she considered an excessive amount of help, but he rarely seemed to turn her down. It took her at least a week or two before her thumb was finally stable enough for her to continue her chores on her own.

However, she didn't want Arcturus to think she was ungrateful for his help. Since she didn't have much she could give him, she wrote another thank you note and attached it to a small leather pouch with a few copper coins. It wasn't nearly enough to properly pay him back, but she hoped it would be enough to compensate him at least a little.

Marjorie

The thank you note would have been more than enough for Arcturus. The little pouch of coins was unnecessary, but he would never return a gift given out of kindness. He tied the pouch around his neck by a leather cord, tucked under his robes where it would be unseen. He liked having the weight of something that been held by her hands and given with care hanging around his neck. The thank you note he folded inside the other and tucked it back inside his robes.

Incandesa

After about a month of Arcturus shadowing Imogen around and helping her with chores, she gave up trying to refuse his help and instead decided to thank him when he offered, though she tried not to create too many opportunities for him to do so. It still felt strange to have a guest helping with chores, particularly one who had made it quite clear that he intended to pursue her. She didn't have the heart to crush his advances, and if she was honest with herself, she was rather flattered. In fact she sort of liked it, however fleeting it may be.

As she was cleaning the dishes from that night's dinner, she caught Arcturus out of the corner of her eye. She could feel a slight blush rise to her cheeks. Lately, it was as if she could tell whenever he was close by. "Can...can you help me with these?" she asked. Imogen had surprised even herself. This was the first time she had not only accepted his help, but invited it. She bit her lip and looked away, nervous despite the fact that she knew his likely answer.

Marjorie

Arcturus smiled, bright as the sun. "It would be my pleasure," he said without hesitation, and with the sound of truth in his voice. He rolled up his sleeves and dipped his hands into the water, picking up one of the dishes and scrubbing it off. before dunking it in the rinse water and setting it aside with the other clean dishes.

"How was your day?" he asked, gently, his fingers brushing her hand lightly as he reached back into the dishwater for another dish.

Incandesa

When Arcturus' fingers brushed hers, she jerked back, more out of surprise than fear. "Fine, I guess, she said quietly. "There's not much that really stands out around here day to day." Even if she were to tell him, it wouldn't be much different from any other day. "I um, I'm working on a new dress," she said, trying to find at least something to talk about besides chores and family. "It's not going to be extremely pretty, but it will be for nicer occasions like festivals and birthday parties I think." Then she looked at him, though it was as difficult as looking at the sun. "What-what about you? What have you been up to lately?"

Marjorie

Arcturus smiled warmly when she looked up at him. He wanted to be part of the everyday things that she did also. "I'm sure it will be lovely," he said, his expression shifting slightly as he loved at her. He longed to touch her, even just to brush his fingers threw her hair, or hold her against her. He longed for closeness to her more than they had, but he was patient. "I couldn't imagine you'd look less than beautiful, no matter what you were wearing."

He glanced back down at the dish water when she asked about his day, and started scrubbing off the dish in his hand. "I spent the early morning darkness mediating, then I spent most of the day at the forge. The butcher asked me to make him a set of steel knives -- a gift, I think for his oldest son's birthday.

"And now, of course, I'm here with you."

Incandesa

Imogen's blush deepened and she turned her face away, unsure of what to say. "You, Sir, are a very skilled flatterer. With a little effort, I'm sure almost every women in the area would fall at your feet." Every woman except her that was. It was a rather sad reality really.

It seemed the more time she spent with Arcturus, the more attractive he seemed in her eyes. The way his hair fell on his face, his masculine but feminine voice, and how his willowy body moved, what once seemed unnatural, was becoming normal. And dare she say it- handsome.

Marjorie

"I have no words for any other woman," Arcturus said softly, looking in her the eye, "I do not flatter you, Imogen, I speak the truth as I see it." It was like he'd never seen beauty before he saw her, as if he'd never heard music before her heard her speak --- it was as if he'd never had any kind of physical affection, not being able to hold her near. He only wished he could make her understand, show her how true, how devoted he really was.

--

Two weeks later, Arcturus had left the inn before sunup, he had hiked out far from the little village, miles and miles away. He traveled light, taking little in the way of supplies, but taking a spear with a steal tip. He crouched between a cluster of large rocks and waited as the sun started coming up over the horizon.

Several hours later, Arcturus walked back into the village with a gutted reindeer slung over his shoulders, using his spear as a walking stick. He skinned out and quartered the dear on the back porch of the inn not far from where they usually tossed their refuse, then came inside threw said door, with the meat from his catch wrapped in the skin.

"Good morning Steffen," the Starstrider said with a smile, toward the innkeeper, "I went out for a hike this morning, and I thought you could use this. Please think of it as a gift, my thanks for your overly generous hospitality." 

Incandesa

Steffen gave a hearty laugh and his large stomach jiggled. "Well, that's certainly more than expected, my friend. I know you are more than good for your payment here, so what brought on this sudden spur of generosity?" he asked. Not that he was complaining; meat was always good to have around winter time. When dried and stored properly, a reindeer would feed the inn's guests for days at a time, possibly even weeks. Steffen looked over his shoulder and call, "Imogen! Help me out with this meat, would you? We need to salt it quickly."

Imogen jumped up from her little corner by the fire and scurried off to fetch the salt, her golden curls bobbing along behind her. After looking through the cabinets a bit, she spied the heavy bag of salt on one of the upper shelves. Albert must have put it there because there was no more room on the bottom shelves. She was too short to reach it, so the little rabbit woman grabbed the step stool she used for situations like this. However, even with her aide, she still struggled with the heavy salt. She managed to get it off its high perch and into her arms, but as she did, the step stool she was standing on rocked dangerously to and fro.

Marjorie

"Like I said," Arcturus answered in a light and easy tone, "I was out on a hike, and the opportunity to bring this animal back with me presented itself. I thought that you and your guests could put it to good use." He smiled faintly, but his gaze flicked toward Imogen when her father called her.

The Starstrider allowed Imogen to complete her own task, though when the stool started to tilt, he moved - quickly, a blur of ivory and lifted the slight girl easily in his arms. By the time to stool topple to the ground, he had Imogen in his arms and the heavy sack of salt in one hand.

"Are you alright" Arcturus asked, setting Imogen back on her feet, and the salt on the counter.

Incandesa

Imogen swallowed a large lump in her throat as she felt one of the locks on her heart loosen. No, this was not supposed to, not at all. Her heart was supposed to be locked up tight after her last failed attempt at romantic happiness? What was her heart doing trying to open up? That was insane!

Instinctually, she pushed  him away. "Yes! Yes, um. I-I'm alright," she squeaked as she backed away and brushed her skirt. The rabbit woman's eyes searched frantically for something, anything, to leave the situation.