Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You wear white, and I’ll wear out the words I love you

Started by Marjorie, December 31, 2018, 12:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marjorie

It had been two years sense Arcturus had returned from his first sprin thaw journey to the south to sell his goods. This was his third such trip now, and he had only just returned home a week ago.

Imogen had become more affectionate toward him after he had returned that first time. Each subsequent time he left and came back home - for that is what he thought of this little village tucked away into the Hyoti frost lands no - home, her trust in him had been redoubled. The very behind g of their courtship has blossomed out of that initial, fragile, trust. Now they had long over a year been considered a couple. Now, he thought the time if was right.

Correlian was rising in the sky tonight. It was a brilliant blue star, one that, to his people, symbolized fate and binding. On this trip he had made a small, very speical purchase. Mortals exchanged rings during wedding vows. An odd thing to him, that mortals equated love to possession.

For Arcturus, his feelings for Imogen went beyond mortal meanings of love. He would live and die and kill for her. Without her life was impossible anyway. He literally could never feel as he did for Imogen for another. A contract. A legal document. That's what marriage was to mortals. The passing of a woman from the possession of her father to her husband. It didn't do the feelings he had for Imogen justice. It was her people's custom though, and one he knew she felt and wanted and needed. He would give it and anything else she need to her.

The ring was not for now though. That was for the wedding.

For now, for his proposal, he had another gift - even more special, in his mind, because he had made it.

It was late morning when Arcturus left his house to call on Imogen with his gift in his pocket.

Incandesa

For her part, Imogen was just finishing up her morning chores when Arcturus arrived. When she saw him approaching, she quickly worked to smooth out her dress and fixed her hair. Even though they had been a couple for so long, Imogen still felt a bit of nervous attraction around him.

"Oh! Good morning, Honey," she said, as she adjusted her hair band. "How are you?"

Marjorie

"Good morning," Arcturus said with warmth. "Are you busy right now? Do you have a moment to go for a walk with me?" He reached out a hand to her and drew her close to his side. He kissed the top of her head and breathed in the scent of her hair.

"I love you," he said gently, "and you're beautiful." It was something he said to her every day, at least once, and he always meant it.

"Correlian is rising tonight," he said, he spoke of the stars often. They were central to his people's beliefs and prophecies. They were central to his way of thinking and doing.  He had been born under the bright white light of Arcturus, the star who's name he bore. It's light was the light of purity and Joy. Those concepts lead his life. "Correlian's light shines for fate and minding," he elaborated, "commitment."

Incandesa

A blush rose in Imogen's cheeks, and she gave a shy smile. How was he able to give flattery so easily every day? And what was more amazing was that it was genuine. "Thank you... you're looking rather... dashing, yourself," she returned. It was harder for her to return compliments, or even give them in general, not because they weren't her genuine thoughts. But rather, she was still uncomfortable being so forward about her feelings, particularly to a romantic partner. Leave it to Arcturus to slowly coax her out of her shell.

At the mention of the star, Imogen's ears perked up and a spark of curiosity shown in her eyes. She had always had an interest in the stars, and the way Arcturus talked about them only increased her desire to learn more. "Oh, Arcturus, do you think we can watch it tonight?" she asked, having difficulty containing her excitement. They weren't always able to go stargazing as much as they wished. Serving guests had to take priority leisure time when it came to running an inn, and there were of course days when Arcturus needed to focus on his wares more than her. Still, it was an important passion that they shared together.

Marjorie

Arcturus had a name for most of the stars in the sky and each name had a meaning. To him they were like their own prophecies - for each day (or night), for each year, for each life. They were his guiding lights, but Imogen was his other half. The thing that made him hole and gave him purpose in life.

The Starstrider smiled, widely, "I would very much like to watch Correlian with you tonight," he said, catching her hand in his and giving it a light squeeze as they stepped outside together. He moved a half step closer to her and slipped his arm around her. "It's a bright white star seen in the eastern sky from here." He kissed the side of her face.

"I want us to be together always," Arcturus said, as they moved further from the inn. Somehow he always made comments like that seem both casual and quite honest. "I spent the last three hundred years searching for my resonance," and by now, he had explained what that meant to her in detail. That he had been looking for that person who literally resonated with his soul - the physical, spiritual, other part of him, the only one that could make him whole. "And I never want to be parted from you."

He reached inside his jacket then and pulled out a small leather pouch. She might recognize the pouch as the one she had left for him years ago with a few copper coins in it, after he'd helped her with her chores for weeks once, when she'd cut her hand. Those were back in the days long before she'd allowed herself to get close to him. "I made this for you," he said and offered it to her. When she opened it she would find a necklace it was a leather cord, beaded with little shiny black beads with a medallion on it. The medallion had two parts, a copper spiral about the size of a coin, and small turquoise stone with a copper fastener.

"It's Correlian," he said gently, brushing his thumb over the copper spiral, "and this..." he touched the stone, "you were born under the Denebola, a bright blue star. I made it out of the copper coins you gave me." He pulled her a little tighter against her. "I know I told you once, that marriage isn't a custom of my people, but this is a traditional gift of my people, that we share between resonances. It's a symbol of my commitment to you, my resonance." Arcturus kissed her lips gently.

He paused then, stopped walking, and turned to face her directly. They were well away from the inn and down the street then. "I wish to marry you, Imogen," he said, "if you'll have me."

Incandesa

Imogen found herself staring gob smacked at the medallion as a swirl of emotions descended upon her all at once. Shock, fear, excitement, and joy all battled for control and tears began to roll down her cheeks as she attempted to sort through them. The mention of marriage, especially, brought back flashes of the rather painful memory of an empty alter and an abandoned bride. Though it was old, the wound still held pain.

But Arcturus wouldn't leave her; he couldn't. He'd told her time and time again that she was his Resonance; they were destined to be soulmates. His love was on plain display, and in time he had won her over. Imogen loved him, so why was she still hesitating? "I-I," she stammered. She hated this indecisive part of herself. In his arms, she had nowhere to run. Her eyes searched his for comfort, reassurance. "I want to say yes..."

Marjorie

"It's ok," Arcturus held her closer. She shook, like she might take flight, and the idea terrified him. He kissed the top of her head. "I love you," he said gently, the overtones and undertones of his second voice coming threw in response to Imogen's distress. "No matter what answer you give me. I waited 300 years to find you, I am willing to wait as long as you need." He pressed the medallion into her hand.

"I love you," he repeated warmly, gently, "my greatest wish is only for your happiness, you are all my joy."

Incandesa

Somehow, the duel tones of Arcturus' voice eased Imogen's heart and she stilled in his arms in surrender. All this time, he had pursued her, she had thought of him like a predator chasing prey, relentless. No matter what test or challenge she threw at him, he chased all the same. And yet, now that she was cornered, her fear subsided. No, now she could see Arcturus was not a ruthless predator chasing prey, but rather a bridegroom chasing his rightful bride. It was love, that drove him to her. Everlasting and eternal love.

She looked up at him with tears of joy. *Then I will trust you with my heart."*

Marjorie

Arcturus smiled like it was the first time his lips had ever curled in happiness. He ran is fingers threw her tears gently, and leaned down to kiss her. After a moment he pulled back just enough to look at her. "You are the other half of me, my resonance, the song that makes me whole," he whispered softly resting his forehead against hers, "never have I been so happy as you make me."