Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Reflection, Rebirth, and Reclamation [DragonSong+Invite Only]

Started by Vhargul, March 29, 2020, 03:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vhargul

Vhargul hungrily took in lungfuls of the crisp mountain air, its icy chill gently stinging the innards of his throat. Connlaoth had shown its belly to him and he had acquiesced its few treasures. Even so, it was good to be back in the cold. He felt at home in the rigors and challenges of the Ice and of the Rock that lied along its border. In his studies, he had, admittedly, forgotten the proper common names for the tundras and the mountains centuries ago. None of the locals often mentioned them since they didn't stray too far and for them the mountain range simply signaled the end of all they knew, as did the sea.

His scattered thoughts were cut short upon reaching a gate. It was intricately cast in what he assumed was iron, filed down with mathematical precision to account for each wandering and twisting shape. He looked around. No guards. No wait. One. One guard. He couldn't blame them for the lax organic security; it was dawn, after all. Speaking of, he had to wonder if they had a day guard. Perhaps he could grace them with a few once his numbers swelled.

A loud clang startled him. Metal to metal, spear against gate. He was being ushered away? Hm... perhaps he had been away that long. A marked hand rose, pulling back. Immediately, the figure was forced to the gate by an invisible force, their body pressed hard to the metal. He approached, milky-white eyes hidden behind the dense fabric that covered his head. He spoke softly, even gently,"I've come home after quite a long time. I do not blame you for your ignorance. I hold the Ninth Seat."

His hand moved again, the heavy gate swung open with the guard still pinned to it. Only once he was through did the grip release on the figure. He was certainly not the same vampire who had claimed the seat, no longer some Thanati, but it was his all the same. His wants were more visceral, more real, more concrete than they ever had been. He felt as though he knew the true nature of things and deemed it only proper that he share his findings with his kin.

DragonSong

"Well now."

The voice came from the shadows to the side of the gate. A raven cawed, taking flight, just as its master--who had been using the bird as a lookout at the gate--stepped from the coalition of darkness to approach the Councilor, one eyebrow quirked as his gaze flickered to his guard.

"Was it entirely necessary to do that? Poor man is only doing his job," Lord Aleksander Saroian noted rather blithely, with a nod toward the unfortunate guard. There was surprising kindness in the dark eyes, and behind Vhargul's back the man seemed to slump a bit in relief that he would not be reprimanded publicly.

The First Councilor's eyes drifted back to the Ninth, and he cocked his head in a rather birdlike gesture, evaluating. Then he smiled, sharp and deadly and still somehow welcoming, and inclined his head.

"Welcome, old friend. It has been quite a while."

Vhargul

He grinned rather wide, his blank eyes staring off into space. The voice was an old one- one he remembered. In fact, he found it quite impossible to forget. He answered the First, conceding to his point but countering with his own; his voice was as soft as before, but more lilting in emphasis like his Thanati ancestors: "Yes, well, displays of power often lead one to join a cause, do they not? Vampires are hungry in many regards. Let's hope our guardsmen hunger for... improvement."

He could just barely make out the inspection- other vampires were now somewhat difficult for him to visually track without concentration, but he imagined the new tattoos and lack of irises or pupils did cause a modicum of curiosity. He began to walk to what he presumed was the entrance, provided it was where it always was while flipping through a small book he produced from his sleeve.

"I've seen much in my time, brother. I feel that we both now hold the authority to teach what we know. Shall we compare notes?" he offered, leaning upon a hard wood. It budged and he felt a tinge of relief. They hadn't moved the door.

DragonSong

Both Aleksander and the guard watched for a moment in silence as Vhargul approached the door. then the Councilor nodded sharply and the younger vampire saluted before returning his attention to his post--gratefully, if the flash of expression on his face was anything to go by.

"Compare...what notes, exactly?" Zander asked as he moved to the door. It swung open slowly before he had even touched it, hinges smooth and soundless. He nodded to the footman waiting on the other side, dismissing him with a calm gesture.

Vhargul

Vhargul grinned softly, his geometric tattoos distorting with his skin. His eyes flicked over the footman as he passed into the grand foyer. Still walking slowly forward, he began feverishly tearing out pages from the book he was holding. However, instead of collecting on the floor, the papers maintained their static positions in the air. This continued until naught but the leather bindings were left, which he unceremoniously stuffed back into a bag at his hip. His fingers held a delicate posture as the static pages were quickly arranged into a chronological wall of information. The organization revealed several large diagrams spanning several pages in size.

Quickly a fingernail dug into his left palm, a thin pointing instrument being produced and hardened in blackish red. It was likely the manipulation and super-coagulation of his own blood. Utilizing the wand, he tapped a few of the diagrams, explaining excitedly: "Greater Necromantic Reconstruction. Osteokinesis. Hemokinesis. Fine-tuned Telekinesis. Even, Sunlight Resistance! Please don't think I've been sitting on my hands all this time. I've been learning." His smile faded slightly as he straightened himself before continuing,"As for you," He fluidly let the wand careen in his fingers to point to Zander,"You've commanded the Council all this time. What of it? Where do we stand? Who do we control? What is our next move?"

DragonSong

Zander only arched a single eyebrow as the younger vampire launched into, seemingly, a well practiced lecture. His lips twitched on one side.

"Move?" He tilted his head to the side, arms folded over his chest as he just watched Vhargul calmly. "Our move is as it has ever been: keep the balance. As to where we stand, who we control..."

He smirked a bit. "Well, perhaps if you actually filled the seat that you claim more often, Councilor, you would be more abreast of the situation." His tone was even, not meant to needle or provoke, but the comment was...pointed. He swept one hand out over the hall--empty save for the First and Ninth Councilor--and added, "Walk with me? It has been some time since you've visited, but your wing has been preserved, if you care to use it."

Vhargul

"I-" He started in his own defense but sensing the air, he knew it was fruitless. The wind in his sails left as a long exhale through his nose,"Yes. Yes. Keep peace. I remember, now." He made a scratching motion in the air with his free hand. Immediately, the diagrams stacked themselves as they had been, flying into his hip pouch of their own volition. The instrument quickly began to liquefy, snaking itself back into the wound in his palm.

At the mention of his old quarters, he perked up slightly, following somewhat closely behind the other. He hadn't exactly considered it, but the sheer necessity of a static base of operations was paramount if he wished to grow his clan. He would have to forward the location to his agents in the field... after it was made suitable, of course.

"Mm. Yes, I think I would very much like to use it. Have you any misgivings about the formation of my own guard- my own... academy within my wing?" He tested the water with his questions. The amount of bodies at his disposal was still quite low, but he figured it was best to plan ahead. "Of course, my people could always meet prospects outside the property if that is any more preferable."

DragonSong

"You are, as ever, free and welcome to use your accommodations and position as Councilor however you see fit, provided that it does not include rampant slaughter." With how dry Zander's voice was, it was almost difficult to tell if he was joking--though considering why he'd formed the Council in the first place, it wasn't hard to make an educated guess.

"There is, of course, a maximum capacity that our current location can support at one time, but your inner court--your guard--should not cause undue strain." He tilted his head, considered for a moment, then added thoughtfully. "An...academy might be a little more difficult. But if it cannot be supported here, I would be happy to help you establish something nearby--"

He cut off as they turned a corner and he nearly ran into a streak of red and white heading in the opposite direction. The fledgling vampire squawked and backpedaled, wide eyed as she stared between the two of them. "I--my apologies, Councilor."

Zander's expression softened from surprise to something more like...fond concern. "That's quite alright, Gwen. I should have been paying more attention." He looked from the younger vampire to his companion and back. "Allow me to introduce the Ninth Councilor, Vhargul. Old friend, this is Gwendolyn--"

"Yes, um...thank you. If you'll excuse me, I--I need some air. Sorry." Without waiting for him to finish, Gwen darted around the other two vampires, glancing back over her shoulder once as though she expected them to chase after her.

Zander sighed and shook his head, resisting the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Forgive her. As I understand it, her Turning was...quite traumatic. She doesn't exactly trust our kind."