Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Sometimes Door [Open]

Started by Tunnelingcat, October 24, 2014, 11:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahnnie

Sacora listened quietly as Laran and Admar began speaking of their magicks. Primal Will, as Laran had described it, was a magic fueled by belief and imagination. One had but to believe something would happen, and it happened. Sacora was about to ask about instances in which one wanted to bring about something that was hard to believe in, but Laran then explained that to master that obstacle one trained in an empty dimension in which anything that came to mind would become true--thus, making it easier to believe in hard-to-believe circumstances. He also asked for more berry cake, which Sacora readily handed him.

Next was Admar's account of his magic, Color Invocation. It was an interesting concept in which one called upon the colors for different effects. What was even more interesting was that each color had a different property, mostly aligned to them by popular conceptions of said color. Red, for example, was full of energy and acceleration. While Admar wasn't the founder of his form of magic, he was a skilled master of it, and he humbly acknowledged that there was much more for him to learn despite his skill. He declined another berry cake, stating that he was watching his health, and Sacora nodded knowingly.

They both were done with their narratives of their magic practices. As Sacora took a sip of her tea, she realized it was probably her turn to talk about her magic. When she thought about it though, her magic wasn't in any way as unique as Laran's or Admar's. In fact, she had not much magical education after her foster parents died. It would be rude to keep silent, though, so she said, "Your magicks are very wonderful. It was interesting to learn a little of both. I don't practice anything too remarkable...I use a form of elemental magic, particularly fire, that was innate within me since birth. I am a Serenian," she explained, for those of Serenian heritage were part-human part-fey, and thus oftentimes born with magic.

"I can produce fire from within myself or control flames that are around me. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't do much else." She cast her eyes downwards as she contemplated what to say next. "I...um, did not have much of a magical education after...after, well, my foster parents died. I had to provide for myself afterwards. School was not within my means."

Tunnelingcat

"Hey don't worry Sacora! That's still impressive magic! And its never too late to learn more either! Besides whatever you did to make such delicious berry cakes must also have been some powerful magic!" He laughed briefly then took on a thoughtful look. " You know... The Somewhere Castle's original purpose was an academy for the study of magic. It sits empty now but Perhaps not forever? Admar, There are rooms and laboratories and such you could use to continue your study of Color Invocation. Sacora I could always teach you some small amount of Primal Will. Perhaps you could combine it with your innate affinity with fire magic to create something powerful" While he was talking he had finished his berry cake and, wiping his mouth on the back of his hand, He flopped back off his chair and into the grass where he patted his stomach in a satisfied way

Ahnnie

"Hey don't worry Sacora! That's still impressive magic! And its never too late to learn more either! Besides whatever you did to make such delicious berry cakes must also have been some powerful magic!" Laran cheerfully laughed, obviously trying to make her feel better about what she had disclosed to them. She laughed along with his last remark, that whatever she used to make such good cakes must have been powerful magic.

"Well, cooking and baking seem to be magic in themselves. You find the right ingredients, slice, chop, season them the right way, and then put them within some heat...and voila, you have a dish." She laughed out the last chuckle and then sighed it out, but not in a bad way. She had not meant to burden them with any guilt in her honesty about her education. She just wanted to tell the truth, and if she felt any embarrassment, it was on her part and in no way meant to guilt or annoy the other two. She would have hated to do that.

Laran then grew thoughtful and said, "You know... The Somewhere Castle's original purpose was an academy for the study of magic. It sits empty now but Perhaps not forever? Admar, There are rooms and laboratories and such you could use to continue your study of Color Invocation. Sacora I could always teach you some small amount of Primal Will. Perhaps you could combine it with your innate affinity with fire magic to create something powerful"

It was very nice of him to offer such opportunities to both her and Admar. It sounded very promising to Sacora, although she felt a little skeptical about using Primal Will with fire to create 'something powerful'. Not that she debased Laran's words in any way; however, she just wanted to be careful, in case her imagination caused something too destructive to curb. Fire was, as everyone knew, very destructive when out of control. "If you would not mind teaching me, that would be well," she then said. "And indeed, maybe I could use Primal Will with my fire magic to make something unique. However, I'd want to go about this carefully, since I don't want to do anything foolish or hurt anybody. Therefore, it will take some time before I mix the two, but with your guidance, I believe I'll be able to use it wisely in the future."

Ethereal-Star

After Sacora had told them about her fire capabilities, Admar could tell she was feeling awkward about it. "Not to worry, dear Sacora!" Admar reassured the fire mage. "Admar himself has always found the elements, fire in particular, to be quite fascinating even though he does not profess any sort of talent for it. He has been more focused on his color invocation studies even though some of his fellow comrades do have some other magical skills, fire being one of these. Admar is most interested in seeing what you can do with it! Any skill is commendable in Admar's viewpoint." Laran also did what he could to reassure Sacora's confidence in her abilities.

When Laran mentioned that his Nowhere Castle was intended to be a school and place of experimentation that currently sits empty and unused, Admar's ears perked up with great interest. "Ah, that would be most lovely! In fact, Admar could use a change of scenery from his overcrowded library in his own organization! Mayhap there could be something there to spark further ideas for his studies? After all, color is everywhere even in planes that exist at a Nexus Point! And this mage is most eager to see this place for real, instead of with his astral vision!" He paused, then continued. "He is also wishing to know more about these forests that surround your Castle of Nowhere, and the beasts that lie within them. What sort of beasts need all beware of? Any in particular? For safety reasons of course. And perhaps further study, mind you." he winked at the both of them. "After all one never knows what sort of interesting trinkets they might drop if vanquished. Although Admar would hope any conflicts of the sort would be minimal."

At the mention of cooking and baking being its own kind of magic, Admar laughed along with the others, agreeing. In a sense, it was true he reasoned. It was just a different sort of creation, one that people could eat! And those berry cakes were something... Although, he wanted to put a limit on how many he consumed, for health reasons of course. Admar hoped to have more of these berry cakes at a later time, perhaps in the Castle spoken of.

He fully understood and agreed with Sacora's explanation of being careful with the destructive powers of fire. It was good she realized this and wanted to be responsible with its usage. Not all mages were that concerned with safety, he knew. Admar respected Sacora all the more for it. In fact, he told her so all of this flitting through his head. "That is most wise, Sacora. Being responsible in one's magic is something that Admar reveres very highly and all mages should too. Although, some do not unfortunately." He frowned a little at this thought.

This little outing in the woods was turning out to be quite delightful, complete with food and drink, discussion and a roaring fire. Admar wouldn't mind at all more of these lovely encounters. "This has been a most wonderful experience Admar does declare. Intelligent discussions over some good food and tea is always great, Admar says. The both of you and Admar should do this more often in the future."

Tunnelingcat

"of course Sacora, I wouldn't have offered if I thought you would be irresponsible. I'm glad to hear that you both value responsibility highly when it comes to magic!" Laran stood up and stretched his legs for a minute before settling back into his seat. "As for the nature of the beasts... " He paused thoughtfully, Sacora and Admar could have glimpsed just a split second of deep sadness cross Laran's face. "They used to be people, Humans, mostly. Or at least they are descendant from beasts that were. Its a long story but the short version is simply that they rejected the mental control and training required to use primal will. They felt that, as they put it "pure creation" Without them trying to control it was "More divine". The chaos of Uncontrolled Primal Will corrupted their bodies and minds and they became violent creatures with no interest in anything but killing. I banished them from the castle but never could quite get them out of the woods. However you needn't concern yourself with them! I'm sure I can get us straight into the castle with the Sometimes Door and we won't ever even see one!. When we are done here I would be happy to open my door again! Just let me know when you're ready to go!"

Ethereal-Star

"That is truly tragic." Admar sympathized. "Admar was not aware of this. He had speculated the beasts were the failed attempts at creation with Primal Will, not your former students themselves. How very sad." He shook his head sorrowfully, before beginning to gather up all his things, putting them back into his knapsack including the tea cups and spoons that the others had finished with, closing it up securely. "Well, Admar is ready whenever everyone else is. Should be a most enlightening trip for certain."

Tunnelingcat

(OOC: Hey guys, I was wondering how you would feel about a little combat, I don't intend to kill or maim anyone, Just a little excitement? Didn't want to throw you both into it unless you wanted to.)

Ethereal-Star

((I don't mind at all. It could be interesting but isn't required. I'm cool with whatever.))

Ahnnie

((I don't mind some action either XD))

Sacora nodded as she listened to Laran and Admar's comments about her being responsible in learning new magic. She thought the same of them as well. "This has been a most wonderful experience Admar does declare. Intelligent discussions over some good food and tea is always great, Admar says. The both of you and Admar should do this more often in the future," Admar stated, and Sacora nodded once again in agreement.

"Indeed. It has been a most wonderful visit to the Meeting Place."

Then a sense of shock and horror spread through her features as she listened to Laran's account of the origin of the beasts in the forests of Nowhere. They weren't the creations of the reckless students of Primal Will -- they were the students themselves! They had, as Laran put it, believed that using uncontrolled Primal Will was more "divine". "However you needn't concern yourself with them! I'm sure I can get us straight into the castle with the Sometimes Door and we won't ever even see one!. When we are done here I would be happy to open my door again! Just let me know when you're ready to go!"

"Well, Admar is ready whenever everyone else is. Should be a most enlightening trip for certain," Admar answered.

"I am ready as well," Sacora added, shouldering her bag.

Tunnelingcat

(OOC: Sorry for the delay you guys! I'm a horibble person, I know. Its just that it was finals week and I have been SO busy.  :'( )
Laran stood up and smiled "The fire has gone cold!" He stated with a tone as solid as iron. Suddenly, instantly the fire look as if it was weeks old. "There. Now then! Pack up whatever you need and we will be on our way!" He turned to face a nearby tree and took on a serious and focused expression. A small circle appeared on the tree and started expanding outward. After a few seconds it was around six feet high and four feet wide. It looked like ice, the tree visible on the other side of it. "That surface is a door!" Said with the same tone of irrevocable fact. As he finished his sentence purple flame sprouted in the center of the ice and melted it outward until all that was left was a purple flaming ring the dimensions of the original circle. The center was now only slightly transparent with a shimmering curtain of light wavering as if blown by some foreign wind. "You guys go through first and wait just on the other side for me."

Ethereal-Star

"Ladies first." Admar gestured with a hand to the door indicating that Sacora go on in first.

He looked at the door with interest, noting it seemed to be of the same type of transparency and energy that he had seen in his astral journey from before. "Quite a remarkable thing." he stated aloud, thinking of all the wondrous study opportunities he would no doubt be given whilst there in the place called Nowhere.

He waited for Sacora to enter first, before he in turn went in also.

Ahnnie

((Indeed you are a horrible person to keep us waiting, do you know how long it has been, LADSJFOIAHETAER!?!?!?
It's totally ok, we understand ^^ [I was being sarcastic, btw]))

Sacora watched as Laran commanded the fire to grow cold and created a small circle of what looked like ice on the trunk of a nearby tree. After it expanded, Laran commanded for it to be a door with as much surety as a king who was confident his orders would be carried out. The ice melted and became nothing but a purple flaming ring through which a shimmering curtain of light waved as though it were a window channeling a draft.

"You guys go through first and wait just on the other side for me."

"Ladies first," Admar then stated, gesturing toward the door for Sacora.

She stood up and, with her bag on her shoulder, nodded to Admar as she stepped through the portal.

Ethereal-Star

((OOC: I completely forgot to comment on your previous comment. Life happens, don't worry about it, we understand.))

Tags: