Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Bones and New Magic [DragonSong! <3]

Started by Rhindeer, April 21, 2016, 04:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Makani waved a hand. "It's a long trek from here to anywhere, my dear," he said. "It's not an issue. I got what I wanted--teeth--and also got something a little extra--a pupil--so I see no harm in taking a little evening stroll with said pupil."

Back stiff from sitting so long, he gave a big stretch and stepped outside his home so he could unfurl his wings to their full span. He let out a satisfied sigh, popping his neck, and then took a look at the hanging meat to assess it.

"Unfortunately, you'd have to ask a different witch for help with, say, levitating spells and such. I've no experience in that. I do, however, have a different kind of magical solution that has been passed down through history since the dawn of time..."

He held up a finger for her to wait and ducked back into his home. When he returned, it was with several sacks made of animal hide. He tossed one to her with a grin. "Load up," he told her, and began to pack his own sack. Two-hundred pounds of meat should be manageable between the two of them, and he was fully prepared to carry the heavier sack.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Kiri snorted at him, catching the back he tossed her easily and setting about loading it with the butchered animal's meat.

"You don't have to take me the whole way, y'know," she said as she worked, more for the form of the thing than because she thought he would really change his mind. "But, ah...thanks."

She tried to keep the distribution of weight between the packs as even as she could manage—it wouldn't be the first long trek she'd taken back from a hunt.

"Fair warning: my mother is going to want to meet you," she told her new mentor as she hefted her pack with a grunt. "And my brothers and sister. And probably my aunts. And my grandmother."

Rhindeer

A slow, amused grin spread onto Makani's face as Kiri spoke, saying he didn't have to come all the way, warning he would have to meet her family...

He cocked his head, a hand on his hip, and peered at her knowingly. "Hmm...it almost sounds to me like you're more nervous about the possibility than I am," he mused. "I can't be the first man you've brought home."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Her automatic reaction to that was to snort and reply, "No, of course not--"

She drew herself up short as she actually thought about it. Her brow furrowed, lips moving around a handful of names as she ticked them off on the fingers of one hand. Surely someone had met her family...

Oh.

Hm.

"Er...yeah, actually. I guess you are." She laughed a little awkwardly and shot Makani almost a sheepish look. "I mean, it's not exactly the same sort of thing, but uh...yeah."

Rhindeer

Makani's grin broadened, delighting in her awkwardness. He had no idea what the deal was with her family or why she was being so odd about it, but he had a mischievous streak that was dying to find out.

"Ah, I see. So I should be on good behavior, yes? Make a good impression, be polite and respectful, and definitely not mention the ritual blood orgies?"

DragonSong

Kiri might have been a little more taken aback by the playfulness, if she wasn't still feeling the gentle after-effects of the binding ritual. She wouldn't say she was feeling his mischief, precisely, but she thought that she caught onto it quicker than she might have usually.

"If you can manage it," she sniffed, crinkling her nose at him. Then she sighed and ran a hand back through her hair. "Actually, now you say it, my mother would probably be thrilled about any sort of orgy. At least then she might get the grandbabies she's been harping about."

Rhindeer

Makani burst out a laugh, wings fluttering with mirth. "Oh, I think I like your mother already!" he said. "She sounds like a treat. Wait. Are you more concerned about me meeting your family for their sake or for my sake?"

He returned to his work, loading up his sack until it was full and tying it shut.

DragonSong

"Yours!" Kiri laughed, shrugging the pack into a more comfortable position before she turned to check on his progress. "All of my siblings have at least one kid--I'm the only one left for every maternal figure in my life to fuss over!" She waved a hand at him broadly. "Listen, I won't say they wouldn't be...wary of you teaching me blood magic. So maybe we downplay that a bit. But at this point, if they thought you were gonna knock me up, I don't think it would be a dealbreaker."

She rolled her eyes dramatically, making it clear that she was joking, though it was the sort of joke that needed to be grounded in reality. She considered a moment, then said a bit more sincerely, "I think you'll like my brothers though. Well, two of them. They tend to be a little less..." She waved her hand again, casting around for a word, and after a few moments decided on, "Meddling."

Rhindeer

"If you need to get them off your back, you could always borrow one of my kids," Makani offered with a wry smile. "They're perhaps a little old to play the part, but the offer's still there."

He slung his own bag over his shoulder, shifting his wing to make sure no feathers got trapped beneath the strap. "How many siblings do you have, anyway?"

DragonSong

"Noted," she chuckled, nodding at him as they started to move. "And I've got five siblings--four brothers and a sister." She shrugged. "I'm the middle child--three older brothers, one baby brother, and then my sister is...almost exactly a year younger than me." Once she started in on her family, it seemed to be a comfortable enough topic that she just started going. "Belani, my little brother, he's twenty now, nearly twenty-one, his first baby was born just about two months ago--"

She suddenly seemed to catch herself and glanced at him. "Ah--what about you? Siblings?"

Rhindeer

"Aha, the middle child, are you? What a place to be! Normally, the middle child is the most neglected--not as precious and needy as the youngest, not as pressured as the oldest, just sort of there. Seems you have the opposite problem, mm? You're the holdout, so you get the most attention, like it or not. Congratulations, you have broken the stereotype!"

He pushed a low branch back as he passed and held it back to wait for Kiri to pass as well. "As for me? I'm the oldest of seven. Two brothers, four sisters, one maha. Of course, being the oldest, I decided to make my siblings' lives all easier by being the weird one. Let's see...I've three boys of my own, two of them twins. They stay with their mothers in the village proper. Hmm. I haven't seen any of my family in a while, come to think of it..."

He frowned a little at the realization, and shrugged. "I'm usually just so busy. Someone always needs something, you know."

DragonSong

"Oh, lucky me," Kiri snorted, ducking under the branch he held. "Then I just had to go and decide to learn blood magic from a stranger, huh?" She snorted again, more at herself this time, and rolled her eyes. "Gods, maybe my mother's right."

She laughed a bit when he identified himself as the "weird" sibling. Well, she couldn't exactly say he wasn't, from what little she knew of him. "And I'm sure all your siblings are grateful for your sacrifice," she teased as she hopped over a fallen branch and began picking her way along a game trail through the trees.

"How old are your boys?" she asked, glancing back at him. She found that she tended to quite like children--as long as there was a proper parent in easy reach to hand them back to if they got fussy. Expression sliding into something between curious and sympathetic, she added, "I can imagine you're...busy. This--what you do. Do you get a lot of people coming to you for help with...well. Stuff?"

Oh, well done, Kiri. Incredibly articulate.

Rhindeer

Makani grinned. "My boys are four and two--ah, the twins are both two, roughly speaking, I mean," he said. "Like I said, a bit too old to borrow, but they're still cute?"

There was a hint of something in his voice as he said it--or maybe just some flicker of micro-expression in his eyes. It had been a while since he had seen them. Not that it particularly mattered; they received no shortage of loving or cherishing among their families, and they barely even recognized him. Two different mothers, two different accidents, two different attempts at a relationship. It was...rough. Of course children were a blessing, but they were also extra work he hadn't meant to burden those women with--because as it turned out, he couldn't stick around to help. Village life didn't suit him.

And yet, the selfish part of him was hoping one of those boys would have some talent for this that he could pass on. Then again, perhaps with Kiri here apprenticing under him, he might not even have to worry about that if things worked out.

It was a busy life, and a bit lonely. Primal magic and blood magic was one thing. But some viewed his craft as too dark.

"It does get rather busy, especially at certain parts of the year. A bad flu rolls through the village, for example, and you're getting zero rest. Even worse if you happen to catch it, too. Still, the work must get done, and that's only an extreme example. People come for everything. Fertility help, a broken bone, an infection, hair loss, you name it. Everyone needs something." He fluffed his wings. "And as it turns out, I was born to serve."

DragonSong

She felt...something. A tingle of emotion that didn't feel quite hers, which she assumed had to come from the binding ritual. She couldn't precisely place the feeling, but she knew it wasn't a good emotion, exactly. Wistful, maybe?

Trying to lighten the mood a bit, Kiri shrugged and joked, "Honestly, my mother is so mad for grandbabies that she probably wouldn't even care if I just turned up with some random toddlers." She hopped over an exposed root, wings flaring just a bit to catch a soft cushion of air as she did. "It's not that I hate the idea or anything, it's just...not a priority. Anyway!"

She turned to walk backward a few paces, ducking easily under a low branch as she did. "How long did it take you to learn all this? You said your grandmother taught you, right? When did you start?"

Rhindeer

"Aha! Well, there's an idea: just steal a random child and present them as your own. I see no flaws in that plan," Makani said with a wink. "Your mother gets off your back, the child's parents get a few full nights of rest, and the child gets a fun and confusing adventure. Everyone wins."

His wing caught against a branch and he paused to untangle his feathers from the grasping twigs and leaves. Spacial awareness wasn't always his strong suit, especially when distracted.

Tossing a few dead leaves to the ground, he cocked his head at Kiri's question.

"Oh...hmm...I was about, say...fifteen, sixteen? Somewhere around there. She wanted to start me off earlier, but I didn't think it would be for me. I wasn't really like you, throwing myself at the opportunity, much less an opportunity from a stranger! It was my own grandmother, but she was a little scary to me as a kid, and I liked my simple, comfortable life. I thought it would be boring. It was only when I saw her save someone's life that I thought...hmm...maybe..."

He flashed a sheepish smile. "I sort of eased into it, waded into the shallow end and learned how to float before I swam. You've jumped into the deep end with both feet and no clue how to swim."

DragonSong

Kiri laughed, nodding along with his assessment. She couldn't say he was wrong. "Yup, that's me. All heart, no head--least that's what my grandmother always says." She shrugged. "I think she'd probably be less surprised that I took you up on the spontaneous offer of an apprenticeship and more surprised that was all I did. Says I'm too impulsive--I dunno."

She shrugged again and spun on her heel to face forward once more. "She'd probably be less nagging about it if it didn't work out for me so well. Following hunches, I mean. Lining up my shots." She tossed a quick grin back at him as she referenced her admittedly odd metaphor for how she had felt when he first offered to teach her blood magic. "My mother says I'm lucky, but that I should be careful with the luck. It always runs out eventually."

She rolled her eyes. Luck was all well and good, but she liked to think she got by on at least some of her own competence. And what her grandmother called "impulsiveness", she called "following her gut". And thusfar, her gut had never steered her wrong.

Rhindeer

"That sounds like jealousy to me," Makani said wryly, giving his wings a little ruffle. "Then again, I don't really believe much in luck, except for the luck you make. I don't really like the idea of some...invisible force being arbitrarily in control of things. Convenience, sure. Some things just fall so easily into place for one reason or another, and other times you have to work harder. But I like to think the gods are less, mmm...dickish, and perhaps have better things to do in general, than to screw me over personally."

He cocked his head curiously. "Hunches, 'lining up your shot'...you just sound intuitive to me. Animals have a knack for that naturally and humans don't listen to it enough. Perhaps you're just more tuned in because you're too curious to tune it out. That can be its own magic, too."

DragonSong

"Exactly!" She beamed at him over her shoulder. "Intuition. I never did much care for the idea of luck, anyway. I mean, it's all well and good to blame things that go wrong on bad luck, but then that means nothing you actually accomplish counts either, doesn't it? It's just "good luck"." She rolled her eyes. "Sure, it was a nice coincidence that we were hunting the same boar, but you chose to offer to teach me, and I chose to accept. I don't think that's luck."

She glanced at him again, then added with a small smile, "But you maaaaaaybe shouldn't be so quick to defend me when you meet my family. The most agreed-upon pass time back home seems to be riding me for my impulsiveness."

Rhindeer

Makani cracked a grin. "Who said I was going to defend you against them? Oh no, no, no. Who am I to interfere with a time-honored tradition?"

The path widened up enough for him to fall into step beside her, and he nudged her playfully with his elbow as he did. "I've barely known you a day and I've already gathered plenty of fuel to add to the fire."

DragonSong

"Oh, gods help me," Kiara groaned dramatically, tipping her face up toward the heavens. "What have I got myself into?"

She shot Makani a sidelong sort of grin and returned his little elbow nudge by swerving slightly to let her shoulder bump into his. "Maybe I should just take the boar from here by myself after all," she chuckled.