Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Unmentioned Races and Magic

Started by Whim, February 02, 2016, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

As I've combed through the profiles of new characters, I guess specifically those of more veteran SoTErs, I've noticed a handful of common races and magical practices not mentioned on the wiki. I was wondering if there's any concrete information or general consensus on the following:

Shifters
They seem to be humans who can turn into an animal at will (completely or partially) as far as I can tell. It seems some live primarily as humans, and some are primarily as animals. Are shifters a true species or more of a magical quirk some people inherit? Or is it something acquired later in life (via lycanthropy, a spell gone wrong, etc.?)

Geomancers
I've seen the word geomancy thrown around a few times. I've usually seen it in fantasy as having something to do with leylines and so forth. On SoTE is it correctto say it encompasses 'nature' magic? e.g. healing, conjuring vines, turning into an animal, etc.?

I apologize if these are addressed somewhere on the wiki. I couldn't find them via a search, but they seem to be common themes. Thanks!
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

GoblinFae

Hey!!

Good questions. To answer them easily enough it all has to do with what the player wants and as long as it fits into the setting and doesn't break the site we're good with it. If you just look at werewolves or lycanthrope a alone on this site you'll see just how diverse we all make them. Shifters are either as it is completely up to you.

As for geomancy my opinion would be yes. But again it's up to you. You don't have to follow a certain brand of magic as long as you don't make an overly powerful character (those are rather difficult to play against and non-canon major gods are against the rules). So really go crazy and have at it!

If you have more questions or I didn't answer well enough just give a shout. We're always here to help 😊

Happy writing!!!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Tags: