Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lost and found again. [Tally-poo!]

Started by Rhindeer, November 05, 2009, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Demaht couldn't help but grin at that. Aha. Now that she actually thought about it, this was a question she could actually answer honestly--and one that would hopefully discourage him from this pursuit. Because his word or not, she didn't trust him.

It was hard to trust others when her own word was meaningless.

She shook her head. "Nope. I don't. Never met 'em, whoever it was, but they was probably a thief themselves. Ya gonna scour the entire marketplace 'til ya find 'em, sugar?" She cocked her head curiously, one hand on her hip. She didn't add that if he just wished it, she could find the owner.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

Gospel halted them both and turned a flat look upon her.  "Before you said that he was awful to you.  Now you say you've never met him?"

Rhindeer

Demaht's mouth dropped open. For a second, she didn't say a thing, caught in her own web of lies. Gods-be-damned...

"A-ah...I mean...I thought ya meant th' owner, not th' merchant. Th' merchant's a thief! I never knew th' owner. Don't be daft, boy."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"Ah, yes."  Gospel started up again.  If he thought there was the slightest chance he might get an admission of guilt, he might have pursued it, but this one would have more excuses and explanations than a Thief's Guild master.

"The owner, of course.  It was my own confusion then.  And yes, to answer your question.  I—that is to say we, since you apparently cannot leave my side—we will scour this marketplace until we find your merchant.  And if they pack up and leave for the day and we still haven't found him?  Then we will return at dawn tomorrow to begin looking again."

Rhindeer

Oh, good, he was as dimwitted as she'd hoped. Demaht smiled when he agreed with her--but it promptly turned back down into a frown at what he said next.

Her shoulders slumped and she crossed her arms over her chest, scowling at him. "An' if he's left th' city entirely?"

Tally

Gospel took them on a winding path along the streets and alleys, searching for anything that looked familiar or any sign of the thief's flight through the marketplace.

"Then our search will also leave the city.  Rest easy.  I will not stop or give over until I have found him and made this right, no matter how long it takes or how far I have to look."

Rhindeer

He had to be joking.

Surely he was joking.

Demaht grit her teeth, feeling the heat rising around her. "Ya care so much about a dirty thief? There ain't nothin' to make right! Th' necklace weren't his to begin with, ya fool! And what're ya gonna do when we get there? What if he demands me back?"

Tally

"It's not for him, it's for me.  For the cleanliness of my own soul.  I will not become a thief myself on account of a thief."

They'd reached a crossroads, an intersection where three main streets met.  North looked good, slightly familiar.

"If that happens, I will deal with it.  I have a bit of coin and my station commands some respect."

Rhindeer

Demaht's lip curled. "...Really?" The cleanliness of his own soul? What kind donkeyshit was that? "Ain't thievery to take what ya find, child. Or do ya never pocket coin ya find on th' road?"

And she swore if he said 'no' and that he looked for the owner, she was going to scream.

Tally

"I didn't find this necklace.  A thief stole it and I recovered it.  It has a rightful owner and I'll buy it from him legally."

He paused, considering her last question.  "I suppose I do.  But only if it's a small one!"

Rhindeer

Demaht smirked and gave him a knowing look. "Ahh. So it's not stealin' if it's jus' really small, hmm?"

Tally

"Why pick up on the coin's smallness to define its worth?  Why not its value?  Why not the usefulness of what could be bought with it?  It is, in fact, not a thing's size, nor its value, nor any other qualifier one might place on it that defines theft.  It is only whether the thing is currently owned, and whether the owner wants it."

Gospel lapsed into silence for a time.  "Though you make a point.  Perhaps I shouldn't be picking up coins I find on the ground."

Rhindeer

Demaht sputtered. "Yer th' one that brought up size first! Answer yer own damned question!" she said, then threw his hands in the air.

"Ugh! Yer impossible! Ya can't be serious! Worse, ya somehow missed my point entirely! Th' point is finders, keepers, ya fool! Ain't ya never heard of that?"

Tally

"What I am saying, is there may not be an absolute.  The quest for transcendence of the soul is winding road."

Ah!  In their wondering, they'd found an overturned stack of crates that Gospel remembered the thief running into.  They were close!  At the very least, he had a point now from which to search from.

"Of course I have, and it's nothing but the battle cry of the greedy, and greed for material things impoverishes the soul."

Rhindeer

Aw, shit. He had to be kidding. She couldn't believe her luck, that the boy was one of those--the "wants for nothing, cannot be tempted, materialism is bad" sorts.

It was a djinni's worst nightmare.

"Ya can't honestly believe that," Demaht said with an incredulous look, then gave a short laugh. "That? Comin' from someone well-dressed as ya? And what if ya was starvin' on th' streets, hmm?"

Tally

They may just be on the right path, now.  Gospel saw signs of the thief's passage everywhere he looked.

"This is my uniform.  Everyone in the Serenian legion wears it.  And what if I was?  What has that to do with anything?"

Rhindeer

Demaht was oblivious to the signs; she had only learned that there even was a thief from Gospel's nonsensical rambling and she didn't have the slightest idea where they were anymore.

"I mean, if ya was impoverished, wouldja be spoutin' this horseshit about materialism and all? That's an awful high and mighty thing to say fer someone that's well off."

Tally

"As it happens, I joined the legion when I was poor and starving.  I believed then as I do now.  The salvation of one's soul comes by the ways of the divine, not the earthly.  When I could not sate my physical hunger, it was spiritual sustenance that preserved me."

Rhindeer

"'Spiritual sustenance' don't fill bellies," Demaht said with a roll of her eyes. "Yer a strange one. All that nonsense 'bout th' divine. Ya actually believe that stuff?"

Tally

"I never said it did.  But of course I believe it.  I wouldn't say it if I didn't.  Ah, there!"

They'd entered a square, and directly across from them sprawled a merchant's stall laden with jewels and chains, pendants and broaches.  A likely possibility for something like this necklace.  As he drew them closer, he saw that the stock was mostly cheap tin and copper.

"Do you know if this is it?"