Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chills [Rina]

Started by Tally, December 27, 2009, 12:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

At first, all Nell heard were the words steal and book, and he clutched the tome to his chest.  Who would steal a book?  Who would be so...so disrespectful? This book would not leave the library save when he'd seen a voucher and recorded its absence in one of the ledgers.  It absolutely would not.

Then he noticed the dagger, and realization clicked into place in his head.  He narrowed his eyes at Love, if that was even her real name.  "Hey!  You're not from a library."

What deceit!  Allowing him to think she had a legitimate right to be here!  She wasn't getting this book.  "Well, I'm sorry, but since you're not with any of the libraries and you don't have a voucher then you cannot take this book."

He turned his body a little away from her, shielding the book from her, and pushed his glasses up on his nose.  "But you can come with me to the Senior Clerk's office, we'll put you on a waiting list for a Writ of Lending, and I'll see what I can do about getting you the proper credentials since you seem to enjoy old books so much."

Her disregard for propriety aside, he should still try and help out a fellow book lover.

Anonymous

Love couldn't help but be amused by Nell's response. It was so cute. She really hoped she wouldn't have to stab him, but the book was far more important to her than he was. She could always find another scholar.

She tapped her knife against her arm, her stance relaxed and easy as she watched Nell try and protect the book from her, "Nell, let me make this clear. I'm taking that book. Now, I can stab you, maybe get your blood all over it and leave you to die while I take the book. Or," Love beamed at Nell, "you can come along and make sure that book is taken care of. Your choice."

Tally

Love's exaggerations weren't funny, and Nell was much more disinclined to help her out with all this crazy talk.  Book-lover or not, there was a line one should not cross, even in jest, and she was being far too excitable over this.  He kept his body turned away from her, and the book out of her reach.

"Well I'm sorry, but you are just going to have to leave, now.  We can't have people talking about stealing books and whatnot.  That is not a joking matter.  It is very serious."

One of the library guardsmen slouched near a clerk's desk on the other side of the main aisle.  Nell called out to him.  "Excuse me! Excuse me, she's trying to—"

Anonymous

The moment Nell started to yell, Love moved into action, fist slamming into the boy's throat, silencing him. She did not want to have to fight her way out of this place. There were way to many guards and she was not equipped to take that many people on.

While Nell was still stunned from the blow to his neck, Love grabbed the book the boy was still clutching and yanked it out with a strong pull. Smiling, she blew a kiss at Nell and gave him a wink, "It was a lark lovey. But now I just have to run."

The redhead then gave the guard another wink as she raced by him, slamming the book into the side of his head, followed by a vicious kick to his kneecap before belting toward the door and praying she was fast enough to outrun the guard.

Tally

Nell staggered, choking, and felt the book ripped out of his hands.  He grabbed his throat and gasped for air, but every attempted breath hit him with fresh pain.  He went to one knee, trying to suck in air, panicking, afraid for a few horrible moments that his throat had collapsed, that he would not be able to breathe at all.

When he realized he was getting some air and wasn't passing out, he looked up to see where Love had gone.  She thwacked a guard upside the head—with the book!—and bolted for the door.  Nell was up and stumbling after her before he even realized what he was doing.  "Hh...hey..."  He tried to cry it out, but it only came out as a whisper.

She was so much faster than he was with his aching throat still making it hard to breathe, but he made it to the door and ran outside, starting down the steps as he looked for her.

Anonymous

Once outside, Love paused, glancing around to get her barrings. She wasn't really sure which direction to run in, the book clutched to her chest. Damn that stupid librarian. Damn his eyes! He should have just come along with her! Now she was going to have to find someone that could read this!

Hissing, Love turned to start down the street when she saw Nell stagger out. Her face split into a grin and finally, finally her luck was starting to change! Sprinting, Love closed the distance between herself and the librarian, grabbing onto his wrist, "Nell! I knew you couldn't stay away!"

Beaming, Love dragged him down the steps, "Better move those legs! Wouldn't want to lose my translator!" A quick turn and she was pulling the wheezing librarian into the dark streets, waving and bobbing to avoid pursuit by any guards that might be following.

Tally

Love was so fast!  Nell had barely gotten out the door and she was already at the street.  His heart sank.  That book was going to disappear, end up only the gods knew where, and it would be all his fault!

Then Love saw him, and he froze.  In a flash she was back at his side.  He flinched back, expecting another strike, but instead found himself dragged behind her as she ran back down the steps.  Nell craned his head back to shout for the guards, but voice wouldn't work.  His shout for help came out as a wheezing cough.  This late at night, there was no one on the streets to assist him either.  They were alone out there in the darkness.

Scowling, Nell tried to tug his arm out of her grip, but not with much zeal.  He didn't want to rile her anger. This girl was violent and crazy!

Anonymous

Love didn't seem fazed by Nell's attempts to call out. She just gave him a wink and kept dragging him down the street. Lucky for her, it wasn't hard to make it back to the inn she had been staying at.

Not that she would be there after tonight. No, she couldn't trust her little translator in the city. The darling would take off if she let him stay close to home. Hustling him into her tiny room, Love began throwing things into her bag, starting with the bag. How she missed being on that ship. It made moving around so much easier.

"Well, best get moving, huh lover?" The redhead gave Nell a grin, "You are gonna have to come with me for a while. See, I need this book to take care of this curse. And until I find me a mage that can fix it, I need you around so you can tell the nice mage what the book says."

Tally

Upon entering the inn—or rather, being dragged into it against his will—Nell opened his mouth to yell at the innkeeper for help.  He thought better of it before even a word left his mouth. Who knew what this madwoman would do to him if he caused trouble for her again?

Best thing to do was wait until she put the book down, then grab it and run away.  He was taller than her, had longer legs. That surely meant he could outrun her!

He stood rigidly just inside the door while Love packed her things. "Uh, no.  You can't keep that book.  It has to go back to the library immediately! It doesn't belong to you."

Anonymous

Upon entering the inn—or rather, being dragged into it against his will—Nell opened his mouth to yell at the innkeeper for help. He thought better of it before even a word left his mouth. Who knew what this madwoman would do to him if he caused trouble for her again?

Best thing to do was wait until she put the book down, then grab it and run away. He was taller than her, had longer legs. That surely meant he could outrun her!

He stood rigidly just inside the door while Love packed her things. "Uh, no. You can't keep that book. It has to go back to the library immediately! It doesn't belong to you."

Love raised an eyebrow at that comment, straightening up, "Nell...it's good you are pretty. Because you are not all that bright." He seemed book smart enough, but the boy had no clue what seemed to be happening.

"Let me use smaller words." Love went back to packing her bag, making sure the book was safely stowed, "I am stealing this book. And I am kidnapping you. I am going to take you, and the book, and leave the city. Then I'm going to use it, you and whatever mage I can find to break the curse on me." Staring Nell right in the eye, Love spoke the next words extra slowly, "Did we understand all that?"

"But--!"  Nell reached out helplessly as the book disappeared into her bag, then let his hand fall back to his side again.  "But!"

Yes.  She was stealing the book.  That much was clear. But how could she do that?! "But it doesn't belong to you," he said, speaking just as slowly.  /She/ was the one having trouble understanding things. "It's /wrong/ to steal it.  And you hit me!"

"Yes. I know it doesn't. That is why I am stealing it." Love still spoke carefully, folding up the last of her clothes and tying the bag shut, "And, yes, it's wrong to steal. I did mention I used to be a pirate." She smiled, slinging the bag over her shoulder, "I do bad things. I kinnda have too until I get this curse removed. But, I'll probably still do them anyways."

Closing the distance, Love lightly traced her fingers down Nell's neck, "And I had to punch you. You were about to get me arrested."

Nell threw his hands up.  "Of course I was, because you're stealing and it's a crime!  You have a moral obligation to bring that back! Right now! We're living in a society!"

He took a breath and scowled at her.  "And I can't believe you hit me.  I can't believe you would do that to someone!"

"I have a moral obligation to not turn into a damn dragon and have to mate some giant lizard. So shove it." Love rolled her eyes, "Look, what do you want? An apology? Fine. I'm sorry I hit you." But you totally deserved it.
"That doesn't make any sense!  And I don't want an apology--well okay, I do, thank you.  Apology accepted. But now you have to bring that book back because it's the right thing to do.  And you have to turn yourself in to the city guards."

Nell eyed the pack with the book in it, wishing he had the courage to try to wrest it from her.  But if she would hit him just for trying to stop a theft, then no telling how far she would go.

"Which part confused you?" Love's lips curled upwards as Nell spoke, so amused by his reaction she didn't even know where to start, "You know Nell. You are the most refreshingly naive person I have ever met. It's a little sexy. But I'm not going back and you are coming with me. So let's finish up with silly talk so we can get walking. Have you stayed outdoors before?"

"No I have not stayed outdoors and I don't intend to!  We are going back to the library right now.  I won't be a party to your depraved crimes."  He folded his arms across his chest.

"Nell darling." Love gave a small sigh, "Let's go slowly, okay? You are coming with me. If you don't, I will snap your arm. I don't want to do that, I'm sure you don't want me too. So let's just avoid that and have you come along quietly."

Nell flinched.  "But...you apologized!  You can't hurt me again after you apologized for it already!"

Love tilted her head, "Yes I can. Because I apologized for hitting you before. And I am sorry. And I'll be sorry to hurt you again. But sometimes Nell, we have to do things we don't like. Like you have to come along with me. Or..." Love frowned, a thoughtful look crossing her face, "Maybe you want me to be along with the book. I've never had to deal with a book this old before. I hope I don't damage it."

"You're an awful person! No, ah!  I'm sorry, I didn't mean that!  But how can you say something so awful?"

Nell slumped.  "We have to go back."  They just /had/ to, but he was beginning to think it wasn't going to happen.  He couldn't /make/ her go back and she didn't seem to care that what she was doing was just wrong.

"No. I am." That hit a little close to home, but Love did her best to look carelessly indifferent, smiling brightly at Nell, "I've robbed, kidnapped and attacked two people in the last hour."

She felt a little guilty for doing this to Nell. She wasn't heartless, but she needed this book. And needed Nell, "I promise, when this is all over, I'll give you the book back and deliver you to the library. And I'll figure out something really lovely to make it up to you with."

Oh.  Well.  That wasn't /so/ bad.  Nell tilted his head, considering.  It was sort of like...borrowing a book from the library without going through the proper paperwork.  Which was marginally better than stealing.

Nell closed his eyes and sighed.  "If I help you, do you promise you will give up the book when you're done with it?  And you'll never steal again?"

"I promise I'll return the book, but Nell darling, I make my living stealing. I can't promise I'll never steal again. A girl has to eat." She would never get tits if she kept missing meals due to lack of funds! "But glad we have this sorted out! Let's me friends!"

"Uh huh."  Nell had no idea what her word was worth.  Probably nothing, but he didn't say that.  He would just have to go on and hope that she kept her end of the bargain.  If it meant getting the book back and getting away from her, then he supposed he could help her out. He'd rather that than get his arm broken.

"Wait, why did you pack?  Where are we going? It's dark out, we should stay here."

"We can't stay here silly. You would just try to run off back to the library with the book." Love smiled, "So we're going to have a little camp out! It'll be fun. I only have the one bedroll though, so we'll have to get really close tonight."

Reaching down, Love grasped Nell's wrist again and started for the door.

Tally

"I would not! I keep my word."  That wasn't really fair insinuation, though.  So far she hadn't proven herself a liar.  Just a thug and a thief.

He allowed himself to be dragged to the door, but dragged his feet plenty.  He felt vaguely ill.  It was beginning to sink in that he would not be returning to the library tonight, that he would in fact be forced to follow this woman about to the gods only knew where.  What would he do for food? For coin?

"We should go back to get my coat.  I don't have it on account of you attacking me."

Anonymous

"What? Have I broken my word?" Love tilted her head, trying to remember if she had lied to Nell. She did try to avoid lying when she could, it was such a nasty habit. But, well, sometimes mistakes could happen.

She was starting to get frustrated with her new captive. How did all those villains make it look so easy in the stories? He was such a baby! The fact that she was kidnapping him and holding one of his precious books hostage was really beside the point.

"Nell, darling, you don't seem to get what's happening. We are not stopping anywhere. We can get you a different coat. You'll just have to snuggle real close to me tonight." Love gave Nell a wink, "Maybe we can find you something on the way out. But, see, I just can't risk you trying to get away or bringing back guards or something."

Tally

"No, and let's keep it that way."  The door to the inn was open to allow a party to make its way inside.  Gusts of chilly air hit him as they made their way down the stairs.  He was already cold and they hadn't even made it outside yet!

"I'd like that.  But no stealing!  You have to pay for it."  If he was going to be her hostage, she was paying for his coat.

"Where are we going, anyway?  Why can't we stay in the city?  There are lots of inns.  Don't we need supplies to survive out there?  We need food, don't we?  Oh! I didn't get supper.  If I don't eat, I get faint you know."

Anonymous

"So harsh little bookman." Love laughed, watching him bluster. He was really rather cute, and so clueless about what was going on. She lifted one of her eyebrows as she ushered him down the stairs and out of the inn.

"Oh, I am, am I? Well, we shall see." She would buy him one if that kept him happy. Love never really worried much about money. She spent freely when she had it, got more when she needed it. A coat she had the money for, so why not. But no need to admit that just yet.

Exiting into the night air, Love rolled her eyes, "We can have dinner in the woods. We can't stay in the city because I don't trust you. You might escape. You know this place." She smiled again, bright and friendly, "I need you somewhere you can't leave me. Because if you run away in the woods, you'll be stuck and probably die."

Tally

The cold hit Nell so hard he winced and sucked air through his teeth.  The chill of the library towers hadn't prepared him for this at all.  Well, that did it.  She was going to buy him a coat or he was just going to have to stand in one place and refuse to move. See how she liked that!

"I don't see how that will work," he said, trailing along after Love.  His voice came out wavering and shivery.  "What would we even eat?"

He could have laughed when she assumed he had some great knowledge of the area.  They were already moving onto places he hadn't had occasion to visit since he was a boy.  Any other time he would have been fascinated by the sights and shops, but now he could only huddle into himself and walk as close to Love as possible.  She created a break in the wind.

"Don't forget my coat.  That's where we're going right?"

Anonymous

"Ugh. Yes. We are getting you a damn coat." Gods but he was a whiny one. Maybe she should just leave him. But then finding someone else that could translate would be really hard. Maybe a gag would work?

Moving into the slummier parts of the city, Love kept her eyes peeled. It wasn't always easy, but parts of the town never slept, "Stick close." Last thing she needed was Nell drawing attention to them and getting them into a fight.

It wasn't the most promising of places, but Love spotted a shop that might work. They seemed to sell mostly various things, clothing among them. The old man behind the counter leered at her, which caused Love to shiver slightly and resist the urge to cover herself despite being fully dressed.

"Here. See if there is a coat that fits. Hurry up."

Tally

Nell was already falling behind Love, trailing off here and there where an odd sight caught his eye.  There were so many shops around here! Most of them were closed, but a quite a few of them had colorful signs and a few were even open.  They passed a couple of inns as well, raucous conversation drifting out from inside.

He probably would have fallen behind completely if Love hadn't spoken up.  He bounded up beside her once again.  "Okay!"    He's stayed close after that, but still watched the few people out on the street with interest.  "I've never been to this part of the city before."

Ah, finally a place that sold sundries!  Nell gave the shopkeep a wave.  "Good evening, sir!  Chilly out, isn't it? Oh—yes!"  Love was in such a hurry.  It was almost like she had pulled this coat at random.  She hadn't even given him time to visit with the merchant or look at the different styles they had.

"Uh...hm."  Once he had the coat on Nell turned this way and that, examining himself.  He leaned in close to love and whispered at her.  "I don't want to upset him," he said, "but I don't think these are of the best quality.  Do you think he would be terribly disappointed if we left without buying anything and went elsewhere?"

Anonymous

Love blinked at Nell. Was he serious? Love's lips pulled up into a smile, patting Nell on the shoulder, "Nell baby. There really isn't a better place to go. This is it. The nice places are all closed. That's why we're in the slums. Besides, I can't afford better. Now try it on. I bet you'll look quite sexy in it."

Tally

Nell nestled himself into the coat.  Sure it seemed warm in here, but what could he really tell from that? It was warmer in here than outside.  He really ought to press Love for a good woolen shirt to go beneath the coat—he prone to feeling chilly—but she probably wouldn't hear of it.  She was quite...focused.

"I suppose it might do."  He'd wear it, he just wouldn't be that happy about it.  "Though it only has the two pockets.  I like a good quantity of pockets to carry things around in you know?  Oh!  We should get gloves as well.  And an extra pair of boots or two?"

Anonymous

Don't throttle him. Don't throttle him, don't throttle him, don't throttle him. Love's hands itched with the desire to grab Nell by the throat and shake him until stopped moving. But that would ruin her plans and the thief took a deep breath and forced a smile onto her face, "That's just great then. Too bad about the pockets. Maybe we can find you a belt with pouches somewhere."

That was not this city. She needed to get out of here. He was getting closer and she had just robbed the library and kidnapped one of the members. Didn't really want to be sticking around.

"What? Gloves, fine. And..." Love checked her stash of coins, wishing she had a bit more. She could afford gloves and one pair of boots, but it was going to take most of what she had. But if she didn't...he was going to whine. "one pair of boots. One."