Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Catch a Theif

Started by Haze, December 02, 2011, 03:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haze

Cai couldn't help but smile as Raif bumbled through his little speech and she gently reached out a hand to touch his arm. "Slow down, " She laughed, "Don't apologize. I understand." She quickly dropped her hand though, and dropped her eyes at the same time. "I agree, even. I feel a lot older than I am, for reasons I can't explain. I guess I... I just see the world differently."

She smiled again "you keep doing that - brushing your face." She didn't say anything more about it though, and continued on to answer his question."I'm orginally from Northwatch. We had a small farm at the base of the mountains. And I don't know. Maybe a week, maybe less. If I can find some work I will stay in a town longer.

She was struck by a brilliant idea. "You don't know of any village, or town in need of a healer, do you? Maybe that way I could stay for longer?" What was she saying? Why would he want her to stay longer? Why would he even care. But in her excitement her hand again had come to rest on his arm.

Lion

He cursed again mentally and only blushed harder when she commented on the fact that he kept brushing his face with his hand.  What was with him!?  Over a girl he'd only just met.  Sure he liked her, but he'd only known her for what seemed to be the better part of an hour and a half.  He didn't take to wearing time pieces, though he considered that perhaps he should.  It was a rare thing to meet such an exquisite soul out of the day to day grind of life and Raif certainly did not regret stepping aside from his duties to help this woman.

"I'm sure I can think of plenty that could use a good healer.  All of them in Fallial.  But that is because I help my father take care of his estate any spare moment I can.  You see he's a sick man.  And he gets tired very easily, so I do what I can to make his work load easier," he stopped then when he heard the throat cleansing of a familiar tone.

"You think you a tough one boy just 'cos you can throw that fancy fire 'round?" rang the voice of the brute just before them.  He had his arms crossed over his massive chest and he grinned nastily underneath his burnt face of his, or what was left of it.

Raif stopped dead in his tracks.  As the crowd of passersby parted, a gang of no less than ten goons emerged behind the man's back.

"I believe that lass got sump'm o' mine too.  I came back to collect."  He glared at the both of them.

"If you think fire's all I got up my sleeve, think again.  I thought you had enough last time.  You're such a coward you had to come back with your friends to back you up," Raif snapped and reached for his swords once again.  "And if you think you're going to lay a hand on this woman, think again."  He drew his weapons fast and placed himself between Cairis and the brigands.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Cairis was about to reply, but her quick eyes had seen the man ahead, before he even spoke. For a moment her hand gripped Raif's arm harder, and then as the crowd parted and the gang behind the burly man. His booming voice demanded retribution. He was going to kill them both, and he had plenty of help to do it.

"I believe that lass got sump'm o' mine too. I came back to collect." Cairis felt her hand drop from Raif's arm and to the dagger at her hip. Of course. She'd taken it. She felt a wave of nausea pass over her, and as Raif both challenged the man, and then defended her, the bottom of her stomach hollowed out.

Behind Raif, as he'd stepped in front of her, she ran through her options. She could run, and leave Raif. But that wouldn't do. He'd saved her - she owed it to him to stick with him at this time. She could stand and fight beside Raif - but she'd probably only be taken by one of the burly man's cohorts. Finally, she knew what to do.

Silently, she slipped into the crowd that had formed behind them. People stupid enough not to know that some people were going to be seriously wounded. It was like the crowd had created a ring, right behind the gang. She took the opportunity to weave through the groups of people, her heart beating in her throat. She'd picked out the smallest of the men, standing near the back.

She heard the collective ring of weapons being drawn, and prayed fervently that the leader hadn't managed to get his hands on anything. She decided to make her move. Summoning all her courage, she nimbly snuck behind the man, and with all her might, jabbed the stolen dagger into his side.

She felt a rush of adrenaline as the man yelled and turned to face her, and as he did she kneed him in the groin as hard as she could. All hell had broken loose with the man's yell, and Cairis swiftly ducked and slipped through as many of the men as she could, getting jabs and slashes in as quickly as possible, sly fingers picking up dropped knives where they could, and using a double handed approach.

She only hoped that Raif had the leader.

Lion

The sudden commotion caught Raif by surprise, but it seemed the fight had started before he even got a cut at the leader, or the leader even drew his own weapon.  There were yells and he saw blood spill on the ground and his eyes widened.  Widened just before he saw the giant leader draw his own weapon and rush at Raif.  There were two other goons that were left unscathed.  They screamed at him as he dropped into a fighting stance.

Raif took several steps back and kept his rapiers low and parrying the swords of the two goons as he quickly disarmed them with their clumsy technique.  He clipped their hands with his blades, giving frostbite into the wound of the other and scorching the hand of another.  They both backed off quickly, whimpering at the grave wounds in their hands.

"You little swine!  I'll tear your spine out," the brute screamed as he lunged at Raif with his sword.  He was surprisingly fast for someone his size and Raif dodged a slash to his head by ducking, only narrowly.  Raif rolled off to the side and shifted again, at the last second before the edge of the blade tore at the cloth of his shirt.  He gasped and was caught up by the collar and headbutted severely before he was thrown to the ground.  The air got knocked out of him and his eyes were drawn to the glinting blade of the leader's sword as it was about to cut down into him.

Raif's arms moved quickly, cross his rapiers before the blade stuck him and catching the weapon between them.  The combined elemental power of the rapiers created a blast powerful enough to send the giant staggering backwards.  Raif rolled back to his feet and slashed at the brute.  He was awed momentarily at the effect and was cut across the arms, blood seeping down, but the brute didn't even look fazed after that.  He only came at Raif harder and slashed quickly, making Raif continue to give ground.

Raif parried and blocked where he could, though the enemy sword cut his arm and shoulder, tearing through the cloth.  As he looked at his wounds, he suddenly began to see red and anger took him.  He was not as strong as the leader but he was faster and nimbler.  He paused only for a second to study his opponent and stepped aside to avoid a cut to the head.  He cut open the leader's side with Scorch and suddenly pierce into his back with Frost, stabbing into his lungs with all the force he could.  He twisted the blade as the leader screamed in pain.  The man felt to his knees and tried to reach around back to pull the blade out but didn't.  Raif, covered in his own blood and sweat, put a boot to the man's back and plucked the blade out and stepped away.

"Cai, where are you?  Are you alright?" he asked remembering her.  Yet through all the commotion, he heard the heavy beating footsteps of the city guard approaching and bursting through the crowd, a man almost as large as the brigand brute pushed aside the watchers of the fight.  "What the hell is going on here?" the guard captain demanded.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Haze

Cairis continued with her attacks, wounding more men than were touching her. She put it down to luck, more than anything else. Luck that these idiots actually had no idea how to fight. As she channelled images for her father's rough handling of animals she continued to work her way through the dwlindling men. Every now and then her gaze was caught by Raif's magnificent fighting.

Finally with half a dozen men groaning for their mothers or wives at her feet, she heard her name. "Cai, where are you? Are you alright?" She turned her head towards the voice, and saw Raif standing near the big bully's body. She looked victorious. Her colour was high, hair flying wildly about her face, and her breath coming in quick sharp bursts. "I'm fine." She called, defiantly she kicked the man nearest to her, and ran towards Raif. She wiped one bloodied hand through her hair, leaving a streak of copper-red in the blonde strands.

She slipped two dripping knives into the belt around her waist, and leaned a little into Raif. "Well, that was fun." Her eyes glowed with adrenaline, and the frightened little girl from earlier was no more. Except for the small tremble in her hands. And the slight wobble of her knees. She didn't hear the marching of boots against cobbles.

"What the hell is going on here?" the guard captain demanded as he pushed his way through the crowds.

"Oh shit." The most unladylike thing to ever leave her mouth. Her lilac eyes widened, and she looked to the pile of groaning men nursing slashed shoulders and pierced sides, to her bloodied hands, and Raif, who was looking more than a little worse for wear, then back to the gaurd. "Do you think we can apologise?" She whispered to Raif, wishing she was hiding behind him, rather than beside him.

Lion

To any guard in any city in any decade and any country, they would always complain about the boringness of guard duty, complain to it and drink those sorrows down the drain of their throat.  Yet when it really came down to trouble, they preferred the boringness to the excitement of trouble that they offtimes were unprepared to handle.  To the captain of the guard, he knew to be alarmed by the sight of blood an eleven wounded or even dead men lying in the streets of his city.  Even if they did look like a part of the criminal element, there was a crime obviously committed here and no doubt the two left standing covered in blood had something to do with it.

"You two!" he demanded fiercely and ordered a group of his men to unsheathe their weapons at them.  "I want to know what the hell happened here now!  Or by the gods, I'll lock both you up and everyone here until somebody talks."

Raif was stunned momentarily as the red before his eyes faded away and he remembered the blood on his arm.  He sheathed his weapons and held his shoulder, trying to catch his breath.  "It's not what it looks like, sir.  We...were only defending ourselves.  You have to understand."

"I understand I have a couple of troublemakers here in my city.  And possibly murderers from the looks of it.  And I'll be damned if I'm going to have the two of you spilling anymore blood before I'm through with you.  Arrest them!"

"Wait!  Wait!" Raif held up his hands to show he had no weapons in hand.  "Do you know who you're dealing with!?"  A pair of guards came for him with cuffs quickly in hand and another pair came for Cairis.  They grabbed him roughly, disturbing the wound on his arm and he felt the clamp of metal around his wrists as they began their arrest.

"Tell it to the judge, smart ass," snapped the guard captain.

"Don't you lay a hand on him!"  A familiar voice rang out.  Raif looked up and was surprised as ever to see the Steward pop out from the crowd, looking like an old rooster in his red regalia and silly hat.  "You will let that young man go this instant, Captain," he said with cold black eyes.

"And why the hell should I?"

"Because he didn't murder these poor bastards.  In fact, he's little more than a poor bastard himself, for leaving my side like a fool.  These man sprang upon him with the intent to harm or worse, kill him.  And should he be killed, there'll be hell to pay from Fallial.  He is the High Lord Rhys Stone's son after all.  You will let him go this instant or I'll bury you in so much legal paper work your children's children will have to answer for the mistake their father made on so unfortunate a day."

"He's a criminal and he looks like one.  I'm taking him in."

"You drag that boy another foot and by the gods, you'll have to answer to the High Lord himself, explaining to him why you did such a thing."

The Captain paled in the face and looked at both Raif and Cai with an exasperated expression.  "What about the girl?  She of any relation to the High Lord."

"She's my cousin," Raif blurted out without thinking about what he was saying.  "She was only trying to help me.  She saved me as much as I saved her.  We didn't murder anyone.  You'll let her go too."

The Steward said nothing and only raised his brows at the Captain.  The man sighed and nodded his head to his guards as they unlocked the shackles around their wrists.  The captain called to the crowd as there was nothing further to see and the guards began to clear away the bodies of the fallen brigands.

The Steward immediately walked toward Raif and grabbed him by the arm, Raif in turn grabbing Cai by the wrist and tugging her along with him gently.  He let her go and looked at the steward with wide eyes.  "I thought you were at the shop!" he said in surprise.

The steward only glared at Raif before promptly smacking him in the back of the head.  "What the hell were you thinking, Master Raifael!  You could have been killed!  Both you!  Young fools."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cai watched wide eyed as the guard approached and began to make accusations. To be honest, it did look pretty bad. But they had only been fighting to save themselves.

"Hey!" Cairis' eyes widened as the metal was clamped on her wrists. She didn't anything more though, as much as she wanted to. She could feel an indignant rage rising up in her throat. She bit it back though, as Raif went on to defend them both. He had accquired a habit doing of doing that, defending her.

"Tell it to the judge, smart ass," snapped the guard captain.

"Don't be so rude!" Cairis finally snapped, glaring at the Guard. She was about to give him a piece of her mind when a voice rang out.

"Don't you lay a hand on him! You will let that young man go this instant, Captain,"

This must be the Steward She thought wryly, hiding a smile at his pompous outfit.

"And why the hell should I?"

As the Steward went on, Cairis couldn't help but sneak a glance at Raif, who was standing stoically. She could see he was hurt though, and she frowned, craning her neck around to see where the blood was coming from.

"She's my cousin," Cairis looked up in surprise, eyes flicking from Raif to the Steward, to the Guard. The Steward said nothing, but Cai nodded her head emphatically. Then the shackles were released from her wrist. She rubbed them gently - those men had been rough, and her wrists were already tender from being used in ways they'd never been before. Heck, they'd never even held a weapon!

The Steward immediately walked toward Raif and grabbed him by the arm, Raif in turn grabbing Cai by the wrist and tugging her along with him gently.

Cairis stumbled for a moment, trying to keep up, but then Raif let her go. She watched the exchange with a frown. She wasn't sure she liked this Steward. Yes, she'd been stupid, but Raif had been a hero. The steward smacked Raif over the back of the head, and Cairi's head snapped up, eyes suddenly blazing. "Raif saved my life!" She cried, spinning to face the pompous old rooster, "He didn't have to, I am a complete stranger, but he did. So don't you go smacking him, when really, I'm the one to blame. You should be proud of him! That he was so selfless as to risk his life for another. He was brave and courageous and selfless! THAT is what makes a man!" Her eyes narrowed into icy slits as she stared down the Steward for a moment, and then turned to Raif, taking a steadying breath.

"You're hurt. Let me see." Her eyes softened, and looked worryingly up at Raif's face. She was unaware of the few scratches on her face and a bloodied lip. She was focussed on the man who had undoubtedly saved her life, twice now. She reached out a hand to his arm, where several slashes crossed over each other. She could feel the familiar warmth in her hands as they touched. But it was a funny thing, this healing that she had. Unless it was a life and death situation, it wouldn't work unless given express permission from the heal-ee.

Lion

The Steward really was a pompous old rooster wasn't he? Raif thought with bitterness.  The old man widened his eyes and slowly turned his head to look at Cairis with a gaze of clear disdain.  He really wore his feelings on his sleeve, didn't he.  "Excuse me?  How dare you speak to me that way!  By what right do you have to address one of the court of a High Lord in such a manner!"  The old man was clearly livid and his hand immediately came up to strike the face of the young woman, a hand which was quickly caught by the wrist in Raif's vicegrip.

"There's no need to be such a stuffy old man, Benard," Raif said with surprising calm.  "She did nothing wrong."  The steward looked at him with and huffed, pulling his wrist away which he let go with ease.  "She was a victim as much as I was."  He said this and winced just in time when he felt an irritation on his shoulder he glanced at her with curious furrowed brows.  "What are you— "

But as soon as she touched the fairly deep gash, he felt a warmth enter the wound.  A warmth that soothed the pain if only temporarily.  "You're a healer right?  Well, if you've got the power, feel free.  Otherwise the blood will just have to stop by itself."  Raif didn't much care for healers, not the ones at home anyway.  Not when his own body could take care of itself and heal on it's own.  There was the risk of infection as always and he made sure to clean and dress whatever wounds he'd come across.  These were unfortunately deep but if she could make them more than sufficiently healed, it was enough for him.

He knew Benard would have something to say at that point and he shot daggers at him to keep the old fart quiet.  "Troublemaker huh?" he said absently.  "I don't know too many troublemakers that offer to heal cuts and abrasions.  She's better protection than you are Benard.  We'll have to see how long you can keep this...job of yours."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis watched with wide eyes as Benard lifted his hand to her, and then as Raif caught it. Her eyes narrowed even further. "You may be my superior, but you, sir are no gentleman." She seethed through clenched teeth, bringing as much vitriol into her clear voice as she could muster.

She turned and carried on with Raif. She was startled at his surprise, but as he gave her permission she nodded. Saying for his ears only "I do not like that man."

She didn't like the sight of blood, in fact, it always made her more than a little queasy, but as she touched her fingers gently to Raif's skin, she closed her eyes and concentrated. Even with her eyes closed, the magic in her blood seemed to find each and every wound. Her fingertips brushed over each one in turn, a tingling sensation covering the skin and stopping the bleeding. She frowned a little as she worked, feeling her energy dissapating. It had been some time since she worked on this scale. Her small hands fluttered like butterflies over Raif's chest and shoulders and arms, feather light, and still without opening her eyes, to his face where evidence of the head-butting was showing. She could feel the bruising disappearing under her touch, the blood drying up, and the skin pulling together to form neat red lines.

Finally, her hands drifted down to Raif's hands. But as she took his gloved digits into her own, the warmth stopped. Yes, there was injury here, but far beyond what she was capable of.

"She's better protection than you, Benard..."

Only then, did she lift her eyes. They looked a little dull, and tired, and her skin tone paler than usual. "There." She said tenderly, and smiled. "We should still cover them, in case of infection, but you should be fine."

With that, all of the day's events, and the draining of her magic caught up with her. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head, and she collapsed.

Lion

Raif chuckled at her words and whispered to her with a sly grin.  "Nobody does.  My father just hired him because his credentials were outstanding.  But the man is a bore and a brown noser, and a stuffy old bastard.  But I wouldn't worry too much about him.  He's alright once you get used to him.  Just takes about fifteen years,"  He chuckled again and closed his eyes when she began to heal his wound.

There were tendrils running through him, of white hot lightning that flashed and pulsed through where she touched him.  It was faint at first, but as the healing progressed his mind began to see it.  As a psychic he was overtly sensitive to such sensations and he began to actually get a headache as the healing progressed.  He winced and groaned in quick pain but the lightning quickly dissipated as soon as she was done and he gasped for breath, holding his temples.

He did not hear what she said after that.   And opened to his eyes to see her paled and exhausted.  At that moment he got the better of himself and blinked when she collapsed on the ground.  He stared at her still form for a good long while and exchanged glances with Benard.  "Good, we can finally leave her here," the old man scowled at the body.

"You picked up our reservation at the hotel, didn't you?"

"Why yes, of course.  Wait..you're not—"

"Let's get her to the hotel, Benard.  And don't ask questions, old man.  Remember my father may have hired you, but right now you work for me," Raif ordered.  He leaned down and plucked up Cai's small frame from the ground and threw her over his shoulder before hauling her off and following Benard quickly back to the hotel.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis was sitting in a foggy haze of exhaustion. She tried to open her eyes, but they felt leadened. Her limbs felt weightless, like they didn't exsist.

I'm dead. I knew it. What was I thinking, going into that mob like that. Idiot girl. You have no fighting skills. What about Raif, of Raif! I hope you're okay.

"Oh Raif... I hope you're okay" So that last bit was said aloud, a little slurred, but clear nonetheless. It was said tinged with sorrow and regret.

She came to in that moment, as her head bounced uncomfortably against Raif's back. It took her a moment, but as she opened her eyes, she could see road passing beneath her, and the somewhat disorientating view of Raif's behind. Not that it was a bad veiw.

"Raif.." she hissed, blushing furiously "Raif .. ... Raifael ... put me down. Put me down now!"

Lion

Raif held her over his good shoulder, though his other one was healed over, it was sore and ached underneath pressure.  She was quite light, but he was not a bulky man and there was some struggle in hefting a hundred plus pounds over his shoulder.

He heard murmuring back there and didn't stop walking, sure she was just talking to herself.  It was only when she actually called his name that he paused, Benard pausing too at the entrance of the hotel.  "Oh, you're awake.  That's good," he remarked.  He did as she commanded of him and set her on the ground.  "You're all right.  That was a nasty spill you took there.  Does that happen often when you heal people?"

Raif looked her over and began dusting her off where she hit the ground and took a step back, noticing her expression at last.  "I'm sorry was carrying you not something you wanted to happen?" he asked with curious brows.  "Did you prefer I leave you on the ground?"  It may have sounded like he wasn't serious but every part of him couldn't have denied the naivete in which he spoke.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

As he set her down she looked him over once. She'd done an okay job. She couldn't say the same for herself. Her lip felt fat and tight, and she had a number of bruises. "Yes, I'm okay."She said quietly, feeling a little unsteady on her feet. "I get tired, yes, but I don't ... faint. Usually" She looked sheepish as she admitted her defeat. She still had a lot to learn, but there was something strange about healing Raif in particular that had sapped more energy than usual.

She blushed again as he brushed her down. He seemed to not realise how inappropriate it was. He apologised for carrying her, and Cai shook her head slowly.

"Did you prefer I leave you on the ground?"

She stopped and stared at him, her mouth slightly open, eyes wondering at his stupid conclusion. "No!" She cried, running her hand through her blood matted hair in frustration, but getting fingers caught in the tangles instead. "Of course I wouldn't want you to leave me there! You could have ... I don't know... woken me up, or something. Or not thrown me over your shoulder like a sack of potatoes. You know, been a bit more gentle. I've just been through a lot!"

Angry, tired tears began to well up in her eyes. "I was the victim of theft, then almost the victim of rape. Then I was having a lovely time, walking with you when we were set upon by throse brutes! Do you know I have never lifted a finger in violence before, Raif!? Never!" Her colour was rising with her voice, and she dashed the tears starting to leak from her eyes. "And I was doing it for you! for YOU! I helped you! And you throw me over your shoulder like a bloody sack of potatoes!"

The last word broke off into an overwhelmed sob, and she spun on her heel, and charged into the hotel, assuming that was where they were going.

Lion

Regardless of whether or not it was inappropriate, Raif just raised a brow at her as she raged on.  She had reason in her words, and certainly valid points, but he didn't take to dealing with people that preferred to communicate in such an immature and sophomoric fashion.  He lowered his brows and put his hands on his hips, saying nothing as she stormed off into the hotel.

He glanced back at Benard.  "Who knew a woman older than me, could act like such a child," he said, giving a pitying tsk-tsk-tsk of the tongue as he crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head.  Who would have thought that she would explode in his face in such a way?  But he understood why she had done so.  Yet he could see no harm in carrying her the way he was.  It wasn't like he groped her or left her to get butchered by those insipid fools that were carted away by the guards.

"You should apologize, Master," Benard nodded gesturing for the young lord to enter first.  He did so and brushed a hand through his hair, slicked back and out of his face like it was.

"Perhaps I should," he sighed and uncrossed his arms before entering a few minutes after her.  "You give me my key to my room and I'll meet you for dinner shortly."  The steward nodded and handed the key over before vanishing toward the stairs.  The hotel was a grand place, lavish and the foyer was busy with well-dressed people talking amongst themselves.  Raif waited at the side, looking for someone not as expensively dressed and stalked toward her with his hands behind her back.

"Cai.  I'm so sorry for carrying you like that," he said apologetically and smiled at her.  "I didn't realize I was suddenly so important so quickly to you.  We've only just met.  But already we've helped each other both.  Won't you let me make it up to you?  How about you join me for dinner this evening at a fantastic restaurant just down the street?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis felt like a fool. She stood in the middle of the foyer, with the wealthy bustling around her, and there she was rubbing red, wet eyes. She even hiccupped a little. As she saw Raif approach, she very nearly turned her back on him. Fighting back the childish urge, she stood her ground, and looked somewhat defiantly at the young man as he apologised.

Even as he said it, she realised why he'd been that important to her. She felt indebted. "I suppose it's a good thing you did become important." She offered after his apology. "I did think about running, when that gang came back." Offering a sorry half smile.

"I'm sorry too. I behaved like a child. I shouldn't have exploded on you like that. I certainly haven't been very well mannered. It wans't really your fault. I'm... tired." She couldn't find another word to describe the wealth of shock she was still under. This whole day had been something totally foreign to her. "And my mother would be shocked." She lifted a hand to her cheek, and considered his offer.

"I'd like that. I'd that very much." She smiled a litter brighter, but winced as her lip caught. "I uh... I think I'll need to change... I'll go find somewhere to... clean up." She became very hesitant. This wasn't the kind of place she was used to, and there was no way she was going to assume that Raif would accquire lodgings for her. She was sure she could find something more ... affordable. "Just.. tell me where to meet you."

Lion

Raif saw that she'd been crying and might have felt bad if he just wasn't sure she was overreacting.  But he'd apologized and that was over with.  Raif knew she couldn't stay mad for long.  He had a way with talking to people, a way that made them sway in his favor sooner or later.  It usually worked and he was satisfied to see that she had calmed down.  He smiled at her charmingly and he nodded.

"Don't worry about a thing, I'll have Benard take care of everything.  He might not like it, but I insist and I won't take no for an answer.  He'll take you shopping while I take care of the paperwork I'm sure he's left for me upstairs.  Come along.  You'll get to see what it's like in a day of a high lord's son.  And we'll take care of those scrapes.  All right?"  Raif offered a hand for her to take if she so desired before leading her upstairs.

There was a penthouse suite which Benard had been sure to reserve a head of time, the entire floor all to themselves.  It was a lot of room and Raif didn't very much like the idea of share a floor with Benard, but it was already paid for and he very well wasn't going to sleep on the streets.  They reached the floor, and he knocked on the door to Benard's room, the same one he rented out.  "Benard, will you do me the biggest most grand favor in the world?" he asked as he nudged the door open, revealing a lavish room that suited the old rooster's tastes to the T.

The old man peered up at him from behind a desk, removing his thick spectacles.  "Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like this Master Raifael?"

Raif only grinned at him.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

His generous offer took her by surprise, and she began to protest. Then he mentioned Benard and she almost flipped. "The Steward!? But he hates me!" She looked stunned, mouth dropping open and she frowned a little "Are you sure?" But as he offered her his hand she closed her mouth, and took the proffered hand.

Led up stairs, Cairis couldn't hide how in awe of her surroundings she was. This is what it was like to live in riches. She marvelled at the lushness of ... well... everything. Suddenly aware that she was so far behind anything Raif was used to, she felt a deep humbling. Who was she anyway.

Raif continued to lead Cairis up stairs and to the biggest room she'd seen in her entire life. She struggled to keep her jaw from hitting the floor. Not very ladylike, at all. As Raif spoke to Benard she hid behind Raif, just a little scared of the old man. She'd been rather rude.

"Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like this Master Raifael?"

Very slowly, Cairis peered out from behind Raif. "Hello, sir." She offered a contrite smile. "Raif said you're going to take me shopping?"

Lion

Raif only laughed when she moved behind him and he turned and tried to push her forward.  "Would you, Benard?  It's only for a little while and I'll get to work right away on whatever it is that you left for me to look over.  I'll make sure Father isn't getting into any dirty deals, all right."

Needless to say, Benard was stunned and he glared at both of them before exploding.  "Absolutely not!  You should not be cavorting with this girl.  She's trouble.  She brings it on the wind, I can tell."

"You don't know her that well, Benard, so you can't say for sure.  Now do as I've bid of you and take her shopping.  Buy her something nice for dinner this evening.  She'll be joining us and I won't have another word of it, so take her down to that nice tailor shop in the market, where Mr. Marznchantz works.  Not the little one.  The tall one with the limp.  His brother, you know him well."

"But Master Raif, I seriously think—"

"My father is paying you to hear what you think.  I'm paying you here and now, to take her shopping.  Are we clear?"

"If you'd only see –"

"Are.  We.  Clear, Benard?"

The steward stopped and glared at Cairis and bit his lip in thought, leaning on the desk as if a great burden had been placed on him.  After a long awkward silence he finally tossed the glasses on the tabletop in resignation.  "Oh all right!  All right!  Just don't tell your father.  I thought being with you meant I would have to get out of babysitting!  But it looks like I can't escape it no matter how hard I try.  Come on then, young lady, let's go get you measured."

"And one more thing Benard."

The old man stepped out from behind the desk and stomped over to Cairis, then turning to Raif.  "Yes, Master?"

"Be nice."

Benard went red in the face and made raspberries before starting down the hall a good twenty paces ahead of Cai.  Raif grinned at her and nudged her to follow.  "He'll be nice, I promise," he said, nodding toward Benard.  "Go on then."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Haze

Cairis said nothing throughout the whole exchange. Of course, she would have liked to have said some very choice words to Benard about her being trouble, but she bit it back. The only evidence of her frustration was the colour rising in her cheeks, and the sudden set of her jaw.

She almost laughed at the sight Benard's face. Be nice indeed. He would have an apoplexy before he would be nice to her, she was sure. But Raif nudged her out, and she had no choice to follow.

"Thank you," she said softly, letting her hand fall ono Raif's arm, before turning and running to catch up with Benard.

As she did so, she noticed that yet again she was probably going to have to revert back to the awful skip-run, if the Steward didn't slow down. "Benard... Sir. Sir?" She was finally walking at his side, and she looked up into his sour old face. "I'd like to apologise."

While his mouth stayed closed she carried on "I'm sorry I put Raif in danger. I didn't mean to. And I'm sorry I said you weren't a gentleman. I'm really not that bad - honest. If you would just get to know me, just a little?"

Lion

Benard huffed.  This was NOT his idea of a good time.  Well, not that he could remember what it was like to actually have a good time.  He was too busy with work after all and he was kept busy with what he had to help run down here.  He did not need to babysit some girl who obviously was too uppity to know her place when it came to society.  There were certain things you couldn't say, couldn't do, and that was that.  Didn't she know these things?  If he didn't know any better he would have assumed she was little more than a country bumpkin.

"Hmph," was all he said to her as he led them out of the hotel, sticking his nose up all the way.  Mr. Marznchanz's tailor shop was luckily not too far from where the hotel was and it was just about a block away so the walk was short.

He said nothing all the way over there, for he had nothing to say to her.  Why should he after all?  It was her fault they were having so many of these interruptions.  If it weren't for her, it would be business as usual and that would be that.  If he had his way, he'd have let the girl gotten locked up.  She was nothing but trouble. Trouble!

"Go inside and talk to Marznchantz.  He's the only man in the whole shop, probably surrounded by nothing but frills," he said matter-of-factly.  He closed the shop door behind him and hoped he wouldn't have had to do more interaction than that.  That was until he heard the shrill voice of Marznchantz greeting him at the door.  "Benard! Benard!  Oh how happy I am to see you again?  What can I help you with today?"   Benard turned around to see a tall man walking with a limp as Raif had described then, with a big nose and a balding head.  But he looked regal for a man of fifty and he was as friendly as ever.  Too friendly if you asked him.

"Mr. Marznchantz.  It is a pleasure as always," Benard said, nodding and bowing as he was supposed to do.  "This trip, fortunately, is not for me.  It is for this...lovely young lady right here," he almost couldn't mutter the word.  "Fit her with a dress for this evening if you don't mind.  Price is no object, I believe.  She is attending dinner with Lord Rhys' son this evening and he would like for her to look her best.....if that's even possible."  He muttered that last part under his breath and sat in a chair by the door, a chair so puffed full of air he almost fell in it instead of sat in it.

Marznchantz was unfazed by the steward's apparent attitude and immediately flew to Cai with excitement brimming in his eyes.  "Oh, how beautiful you are my dear!" Marznchantz exclaimed and threw a hand to his chest as if the very look at her was about to knock him down.  "My, my, my.  If Master whoever his name is, doesn't just grow weak in the knees by looking at you, I certainly will.  Oh come my dear, we have much to do!  So much to do!  Please let's get you measured and fitted into one of my gowns right away!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn