Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

As we stare at the moon (private)

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2007, 09:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A short girl of 9 with wolf ears and tail weaved her way through the crowed streets of Arca . Her sky blue hair blew into her amethyst orbs. Ducking into an alley of a café quietly sneaking up to a chatting patron and quickly snatching the meat off the plate. Ayame giggled “too easy� she thought as her tiny fangs ripped into the piece of meat . She then spotted the café owner running at her with a knife “come back her demon!� he shouted . “oops time to go� she said to herself and jumped into the air and landed onto the roof of a building she jumped several other buildings until she jumped back down. Her stomach growled she was still hungry and lonely she wished she had a friend or at least someone to journey with .

Anonymous

A few weeks after killing that slave trader, Jonah traveled to Arca. He had just settled into his room at a nearby inn, and he found himself walking along the streets of Arca, pondering his thoughts.

Ever since he started his life as a mercenary, Jonah had always been alone. He never really needed anybody...he never remembered his parents, but he remembered his family history...and since his wife has been dead for more than half a century, he could probably never love again. He had no one by his side, and he had brief acquaintances with fellow mercenaries before parting ways with them.

But now, he felt his softer side...a side that very rarely reveals itself...nag at him. Now...he couldn't explain why...but he had a feeling that he would run into somebody who would befriend. Who would want to befriend him? He was one of the most ruthless mercenaries alive, and his appearance certainly made that so; his giant bloodstained scythe and large greatsword strapped to his back cross-style, those dark eyes that seemed like bottomless pits, the scars on his chest, his tiefling heritage, and that stone-hard expression that never seemed to change all made that impression.

He shook off that feeling as an impossibility. He felt better off alone.

Then, he heard a voice yelling, "Come back here, demon!" His head snapped to where the voice came from. He began to walk there. A moment later, he absentmindedly looked into another alleyway, and he spotted a young girl with sky blue hair jump down off of one of the rooftops right next to him. Judging from her wolf ears and wolf tail, it was apparent that she was a wolf demon of some sort.

He then saw someone with a knife run towards him. He absentmindedly blocked entry to the alleyway.

"Hey, you! Did you see a thievin' girl come by here?" the man asked.

"Depends," Jonah grunted. "What's she look like?"

"Light blue hair, big ears, and a tail," the man said. "You seen her?"

Jonah remembered the girl he saw earlier. "Y'know, I think I have. She went that way," he lied, pointing to the left.

"Okay, thanks," the knife-wielding man said as he ran off in that direction.

Anonymous

Ayame looked at the man who had just lied to the person who was chasing her . She came out from her hiding spot and looked up atthe mercennary with her cotton candy colored eyes "Hi my name's Ayame thanks for saving me back there , what's your name?" she asked smiling.

Anonymous

Jonah turned and looked at the girl, his hard expression never leaving his face. "Oh...you don't know me? Well, I guess I still have a ways to go," he spoke. "I'm Jonah, a mercenary. And thanks aren't really necessary...it was just something I felt like doing."

Now that he thought about it, why did he just save her? It never occurred to him to; he cared for no one but himself and whoever he was paid to protect. It was a question beyond his answering.

"Why was that guy chasing you? Did you steal something?"

Anonymous

"Yeah I took some food cuz' I was hungry, I'm an orphan so I don't have any money and people seemed to be scared of me so they won't give me any food" She said looking at the scythe and the sword "what kind of mercenary are you? do you work for someone?" The sky haired child wondered curiously.

Anonymous

Jonah stared at the wolf-child. Why was she being so friendly towards him? She really didn't know who he was? Why wasn't she afraid of him? Maybe it was because she was part-demon as well.

Well, he may as well answer her questions.

"I work for whoever pays me well. I've slaughtered so many criminals and slave traders that I've lost count. I guess you could call me a crusading mercenary," he said, never losing that hard look in his eyes.

Anonymous

"Oh thats neat" she replied wondering why his eyes were so hard maybe it's because he was alone like she was . "Can I travel with Jonah please I won't get in the way I promise" the 9 yr old said her eyes pleading she was very lonely and hoped he'd say yes.

Anonymous

Jonah didn't know why this Ayame person wanted to be with him. He was Jonah Azrael, possibly the most ruthless mercenary alive. He has mercilessly killed thousands of criminals and slave traders, leaving a trail of blood and death in his wake. But this young girl hardly seemed fazed by that fact. What was her deal?

He suddenly had a feeling that he might gain something by having this wolf-demon with him. He didn't know what that something might be, but that feeling kept nagging at him for some strange reason.

"As long as you can bear witnessing what my job involves," he said.

Anonymous

She nodded  "Don't worry I can Jonah-oniisan" she smiled again taking his hand with her own. She was very happy she wouldn't have to be by herself anymore and maybe she could help Jonah not be lonely anymore too.

Note: "Oniisan" Japanese for Older brother

Anonymous

Jonah was slightly surprised that she took his hand, but instead of reacting to it like he usually would (which involved throwing the person hard against the wall), he just allowed her to do so. Plus, on top of that, she had called him "Oniisan"..."big brother". Why? He was better off alone. But then, he could've sworn he heard a voice in his head say, Go with the flow, Jonah Azrael. Perhaps something good may come out of this. For a second, his eyes softened, but then he continued looking as imposing as ever. Meh, what the hell...I'll bear it for now, he thought. After all, it's said that once a demon gains interest of something, it's near impossible to shake off.

"If you say so," he said, then he began walking, taking Ayame with him, walking in the direction of the inn he had settled into.

Anonymous

Amethyst tinted orbs widended at the size of the inn as she entered with Jonah "It's so Big!" she exclaimed , she had seen inns from the outside but she never been in one.  Her perked as she looked at a group of people whispering.

"Isn't that a demon?"
"Why would they let a demon in here?"
"Abonation!"
They whispered then left.
Ayame's ears and tail drooped as she tightened her grip on the mercenary's hand "How come people don't like me Oniisan?" she asked with pure sadness in her voice.

Anonymous

Jonah looked with disinterest as the group of people murmured about Ayame and left. He then sighed. "I think it might upset you more if I told you why," he whispered to her. Then, he saw another group of people gossiping in hushed voices.

"Hey, isn't that the mercenary everyone's talking about?"

"What's he doing with that demon child?"

"Maybe the rumors are true...maybe he's a demon as well."

They got up from their chairs and left.

Jonah sighed again. "Looks like you're not the only one..." he said as he led Ayame to a table in the corner.

Anonymous

Ayame seated herself at the table and looked up at the mercenary "Jonah why did you become a mercenary?" the demon girl asked she didn't want to pry into the elders private life but alas she was a child and cursed with a child's ever hungry curiousity.

Anonymous

Jonah raised an eyebrow...a rarity for him. Just go with the flow, he thought. "Well...I needed a job where I can make money and put my power to good use. Being a mercenary seemed to be the best job for me. Everyone needs to make a living somehow," he said.

Anonymous

A loud rumble came from nowhere and the sky haired child blushed when she realized it was her stomach , she was still starving. "umm niisan I'm hungry" she mumbled not wanting to act like a burden to the much older man , her face grew redder when he stomach growled again.

ooc: sry about not posting my Internet was being a jerk.

Anonymous

((--OOC: Ah, don't worry about it. Happens to the best of us. --))

Jonah sighed and went to the counter to place an order. As he was waiting, he began wondering why he was doing all this for the little wolf girl. What would he gain out of all this? What good would it do him? Answers seemed to elude him every time he had questions. Moments later, his order came and he paid the bartender. He came back to the table with a large plate of hot turkey legs, water, and a mug of their strongest ale for himself.

"Hope ya like turkey," he said.[/i]

Anonymous

Ayame nodded and sank her tiny fangs into the meat devouring it in seconds she tried her best not to look like a pig but this was the biggest meal she ever had. The entire plate was eaten in minutes the bones picked clean of meat. The little wolf yokai was sipping her water when she suddenly felt very sleepy. "I'm sorry niisan did you want some turkey I didn't mean to eat it all" she said while trying to surpress a yawn

Anonymous

Jonah's face remain unchanged, but inside he was a little surprised...just a little. Damn...she even cleaned the bones. For a little demon, she sure has a big stomach, he thought.

"Nah, I have my ale, that's alright with me," he said, taking a swig.

Anonymous

Jewel hued pools watched him taked another drink of the amber liquid, a stray strand of sky hair fell in her face but she did't push it away. She was tired and wanted to go to sleep she edged closer to the mercenary and leaned her small dial against his shoulder "Oniisan I'm glad I met you because now I won't be alone anymore" she said to the man before falling asleep.

Anonymous

Jonah looked at the wolf-girl, who now fell asleep where she sat. After finishing his drink, he gently picked up Ayame. He then carried the wolf-girl to his room and set her down on his bed. After a while, Jonah continued to wonder...what made him so attached to her? She was lonely, yes, but why should he care? He cared for no one but himself. But why is he caring for her? There were more questions than answers, and Jonah grew irritated about that. He needed to get his mind off of it for awhile. He left the tavern and walked out into the night.

There, he was greeted with a frantic sight of what looked like a sword-wielding gang rummaging through homes and shops.

"Hurry up, you fools! Get that scythe man out there! We'll show him what happens when he kills one of our men!" came a voice to his left. He looked and saw a back-turned man in a outfit that looked strangely like the one that slave trader he killed was wearing. Apparently, he must have been part of a ring of slave traffickers. Jonah snorted; those sniveling maggots never knew when to give up.

He approached the slave trader, who apparently was the leader. "Lookin' for me?" he said.

The leader jumped and turned around, clearly surprised. What the...!...That scythe...it's you, isn't it?" he said, losing all evidence that he was shocked. The other gang members stopped, then surrounded Jonah, who seemed unaware of that fact.

"And what if I am?" Jonah said. "Ah yes...you were in league with that worm from a few weeks ago."

The slave traders drew their swords and pointed them at him, a deadly wheel of inward pikes. "You'll pay for interfering with our business!" the leader yelled.

Jonah chuckled. "'Business'? You call trading other people as property for your own greed 'business'? Feh. I call it 'inhumane'."

"KILL HIM!" the leader yelled. The gang, numbering a dozen, lunged at him in perfect unison with swords trained on him. Jonah, seeing that they had to learn the hard way, allowed himself to be stabbed. Twelve swords pierced his body, then withdrew. Pain coursed throughout his body as Jonah quavered and fell onto the ground. Blood was spilled from twelve points on his chest and abdomen as he fell down...but something was not right about his blood. Instead of being crimson red, his blood was an oily black, and, if one took a very close look at it, it contained the stuff of nightmares.

The bandits looked at him in disbelief. He wasn't moving, but the black blood stopped spilling. After a few minutes, Jonah suddenly got up, and, in one swift movement, grabbed his scythe and swung it forcefully, cutting a huge gash in one man's chest. The traders stood in fear, vulnerable as Jonah took down the next one in one move. From then on, it was a thirty-second massacre, the stench of blood thick in the air, until only the leader was left alive, the others lying in pools of blood.

Jonah approached him with scythe drawn, its blade smothered in blood. The leader was paralyzed in fear. "What...what are you? he squeaked in fear.

Jonah's hard, bottomless expression never changed. "I'm Jonah Azrael," he said as he grabbed the man and lifted him off the ground. A high-pitched whistling noise pierced the air as his hand glowed with tiny orange embers. "You will do well to remember that name in Hell." The embers then became a raging inferno, eating at the man until only ashes were left. Jonah then looked at the others he had killed, then, with a wave of his hand, several fireballs shot out, hitting all of the bodies and turning them to ash. The flames dissapated, and the ashes were carried away into the night breeze.

Jonah smiled. Now that was what he needed. He returned to the tavern, his wounds closed up and free of blood.