Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here we are!

Started by Goldie, December 30, 2004, 04:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Just keep holding on... She really was afraid of losing him, and that...knowing that pained him. He didn't like seeing her so afraid, so hurt. Aniketos knew this was completely beyond his control, but he still wished there were something he could do, something he could say to reassure her, and he didn't even stop to think of what a strange thought that was. He was the one that could very well be dying and he wanted to comfort Rayne! But that idea didn't seem strange to him; it was simply the type of person he was, always one to overlook his own condition and worry for others before himself.

But this was a situation that was completely out of his hands. It all depended on Nakaris, whether or not he pulled through. It pained him to think of his brother in such a state, but at the same time...what situation he was in was his own doingâ€"no...that wasn't fair to think. It was all due to J'aari...it wasn't his fault.

Nakaris was as much a victim as anyone. Perhaps even more.

For Rayne's sake, he forced a shaky, weak smile and hoped it didn't turn into a grimace. "I'm...I'm not goin' anywhere..." he told Rayne gently, still clasping her hand firmly, the feel of the cool towel soothing against his skin, though the feel of her hand was far more soothing than anything else could have possibly been at that moment. His vision was starting to blur as he looked at her, and perhaps that was for the better in Rayne's case, because he was unable to discern the fresh tears rolling down her cheeks.

Another sharp wave of pain struck, the feeling of his rib cage expanding painfully, and he bit back a groan as pain throbbed in his side...but then, oddly, not a few minutes later, the pain simply...stopped. Just like that. And the only evidence that Aniketos had ever been in agony to begin with was the sweat on his brow and his rapid, short breaths. And a slight feeling of fatigue that was the after effect of his struggle. For a moment he was quiet and still, waiting, just to be certain that it had passed, and his eyes opened fully, blinking slowly. And then he looked to Rayne, confusion and heavy relief plain in his eyes.

He swallowed. "It's over..." he told her quietly, and took a deep breath. No pain. His rib cage expanded comfortably as air filled his lungs. "He...must have been healed." Aniketos' voice and body was still a little shaky, and he felt a little drained from the ordeal, as was to be expected from such a close call, but he really was fine...

But though he'd said it was over, he suddenly realized he couldn't be sure. Without the pain to fill every ounce of his awareness, he was suddenly able to feel his brother's unusually strong emotions againâ€"an unsettling mixture of hatred, regret, defiance, sorrow, and maybe even fear. He'd never felt such a deluge of emotions from his brother before, never so many conflicting feelings. And not all feelings he would have expected J'aari to allow him to experience.

Something was happening. Something bad. And despite himself, Aniketos fell into a sort of troubled silence, "listening" to the emotions of his other half and wondering what it all meant.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

She couldn't help a sigh of relief leave her lips when Aniketos' eyes opened fully and he looked straight into her eyes.  Sure enough, there was no trace of pain left in them, only the fatigue that had come from dealing with such a strong surge of random wounds.  Yet even as he said it was over, she could feel his emotions fluctuate to uncertainty and his silence confirmed her suspisions that everything was not all right and as much as they both wished it to be over....

Oh gods...what was going on?  What could Nakaris be doing that threw his brother into a state of silent thought?  Normally she only heard of his emotions being violent, or angry, or something along those lines but...the feelings Aniketos were getting....they must be something that confused even him.

"What is it?" she asked, unaware that she still clutched his hand, more from relief now than from fear...and now mixed into the relief was a tinge of apprehension.  She prayed it was over, that Nakaris had been healed and that was it....but...

"What's happening, Aniketos?"  She rose from her kneeling position and sat down on the edge of the bed, now that she was sure her movement wouldn't hurt him.   but....what if Nakaris was still fighting?  just happened to find some strong drug to fight the pain but was still fighting?  Or what if he had been fighting and taken by the enemy?  And...oh gods, what was going on?  She hated not knowing and Aniketos' silence brought her silent fear flaring within her.  If Nakaris was going to get hurt...then Ani would feel the effects as well...

Damn their connection!  Why was it that they could never be rid of him?  It was like he haunted them and even when they thought he was gone, he flared up in one brilliant explosion that was just the still before the storm?  Yet...why was she so angry at him?  Was she even angry or just completely overwhelmed with fear and apprehension that she needed someone to be the outlet for that fear?

Oh gods...she couldn't stand seeing him in pain...and the thought that Nakaris was too in danger....she had known him before the j'aari had taken over and she had seen that side of him surface just slightly at their last meeting...

She wasn't mad at him...no...she was mad at the magic, the curse, they were born with.  But above all....

She feared it.  Both the magic and what it did to its victims.

Rhindeer

Aniketos shifted a little where he lay, and raised his eyes back up to Rayne as she questioned him. Of course...she could feel Aniketos' emotions due to their own connection, though he hadn't heard much about it lately, possibly due to her current state. But now she seemed to notice...or perhaps it was just because he had never been good at really concealing his thoughts.

If they had been Nakaris' usual emotions he would have even thought twice about them, but it was when his emotions drifted over to something other than aggressive ones that Aniketos got worried. Even before J'aari, Nakaris had always been confident, and even when Aniketos had felt what was no doubt a fight between his brother and someone else, the fight that had lead up to him no doubt getting a sword through him, he had never felt the slightest waver in that level of confidence.

Now, though...

He didn't want to worry Rayne more, but...he couldn't lie to her. Especially not after this attack. And lying wasn't in his nature, anyway, unless it was necessary to protect someone. But lying especially wasn't in his nature when it came to Rayne...he could never be dishonest with her.

And least of all now. As much as he didn't want to worry her more...it would only do more harm to refrain from speaking on this. At least now she could be prepared, if only a little. Nothing could ever prepare even Aniketos for an attack...

"He seems...very nervous, mayhap afraid. Angry still, an' defiant, but...not so much now..." He bit the inside corner of his mouth in budding frustration and apprehension of his own. If only he could read his brother's thoughts, as well! Then he would know what was happening. Perhaps even learn where he was, now. Then he could at least do something, or at the very least prepare himself for what would happen, if more was to happen. But now he was helpless, completely at the mercy of his brotherâ€"or those that had been hurting his brotherâ€"and the magic that plagued them both. The magic that frightened him more than anything else short of losing Rayne.

He could do nothing but endure it and hold on. And wonder. And the mind often conjured up worse possibilities than the actual truth.

Usually.

"I dunno what it means, Rayne."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Goldie

ooc:  Attempting this museless sooo....bare with me

ic:

She chewed on her lip, a nervous habit she had picked up in recent months, mostly from boredom rather than nerves, but now it worked to help try and calm her flaring emotions.  It pained her to know that she could do absolutely nothing in this situation!  She was completely and utterly useless in this situation...not that Aniketos would have let her do anything anyways; she was too close to the end of her pregnancy for him to let her do anything.  Well, even if she could convince him, the midwife had decided to move into the upstairs bedroom and would definately not let her.

Rayne wanted to say something, anything to make him feel better, but just like he couldn't lie to her, she couldn't lie to him even with something as small as this.  How could she give him a false sense of security when they both knew that it probably was not there.

"but....it's over now?" she asked, trying anything she possibly could, "he's healed...."

Rhindeer

Aniketos gave a small nod, though he was still uncertain. He didn't know for sure if it was over. He didn't know what those strange emotions signified, didn't know what was happening on Nakaris' end of things. All he knew was that something had seriously shaken his brother. And that it was still bothering him. If anything, he had only grown gradually more nervous.

And so had Aniketos. What could possibly shake Nakaris' confidence? Even when he had confronted them and been defeated, horribly wounded, even then he hadn't been afraid...or if he had, he'd kept the emotion carefully shielded, though he highly doubted that. Nakaris was physically stronger, but not emotionally.

A bit shakily, Aniketos sat up slowly and looked to Rayne, hand still clasping hers. "He's healed. It's over fer noâ€"" He winced suddenly, a dull pain biting into his chest, drawing a short line down the center at a slow, casual pace, the pain, little by little, growing sharper. Instinctively he touched his hand to the invisible wound, rubbing at the stinging flesh where a thin cut now marred Nakaris' skin. It wasn't nearly as bad as when Nakaris had been stabbed, but it was enough to make him uncomfortable, and not completely in just a physical sense. He'd spoken too soon. It wasn't over.

And this wound was different.

It was unlike anything Aniketos had felt from Nakaris before. He'd felt pain from it, and lots of it, but those were always the tell-tale pains of a battle. A sudden, quick stab and explosion of agony, a sudden, small flash on pain as some part of his body was knicked. All quick pains, and quick pains could be expected during a fight, because fights were quick. You couldn't take your time in one. But this cut was slow, a lazy slicing action that started out dull, but then increased as whatever instrument was being used was gradually pressed down harder...

That didn't make any sense.

Unless...oh great...

What had he gotten himself into...?

"Rayne, I...don' think it's over..." Oh Gods. He didn't want her to be here. Well, he did...he liked her to be near him...but...he didn't want her to have to see this. He didn't like seeing her hurt, or afraid, and he didn't know what was about to happen. He didn't want her to stress...it wasn't good for her or their child, and he hated more than anything to see her in that kind of state. But it was too late. She wouldn't leave him and, honestly...he didn't want her to. He still wished she didn't have to see him like this...

Especially since he was starting to get the feeling that things were about to get much worse. The emotions he was getting from his brother certainly conveyed that.

"I think he was caught..."

The searing pain that soon shot through the most sensitive part of his chest, eliciting a hissed gasp of surprise and pain, was answer enough, and soon that same stabbing pain was mirrored again in the same area, and again in his naval, the pain there even more intense with the addition of a strange, twisting pressure. And the emotions he felt from Nakaris had shifted, going from frustration, anger, and budding fear to growing panic, bitter hatred, and...a strange feeling of desperation. A horrible feeling of...being trapped. Aniketos had never felt such an emotion coming from Nakaris, and for a moment he hardly even felt the pain as he was nearly overwhelmed with realization. And concern.

Nakaris was being tortured.

That was the only explanation he could think of.

Aniketos wrapped his free arm around himself and clenched his jaw, and forced himself to take calming breaths. Oh Gods...he was being tortured...

Goldie

Caught?

Oh Gods...what did that mean?

Nakaris was caught....

Caught where?  And by whom?  Not that it would matter if it was an enemy of his...each place and people pointed to one thing and...Oh Gods...Aniketos was going to be subjected to everything, absolutely everything that was possibly happening in that place far away where Nakaris was trapped, caught....

Tortured

What could she do?

There wasn't anything she possibly could do.  Nothing except sit there, holding his hand and praying for the best...

The best of what?  Where was there possibly any best in this situation?

Stop it....just stop!

These thoughts could not possibly help him right now!  Not when he could feel exactly what she was feeling which was a mix of anxiety, fear and sheer terror.

Well...there was a good side!  If it was torture then there was no way he would be allowed to die which meant Aniketos would stay alive as well!

Alive and in utter pain.

Damn....there was no good side to this situation....not whatsoever, none, nada, zippity doo da.  Before her very eyes the person she cared about more than anything in the world was being subjected to pain that knew no boundaries inflicted to a person whom no mercy could possibly be shown.  Mostly because Rayne was sure he would refuse to tell the truth which would only lead to more pain and suffering for both he, his twin, and herself.

"The babe's been more active lately than I've ever felt before" she burst out in a rush, trying anything, anything at all that could possibly take his mind off of what was happening.  After all, what else could she do?  It was bound to be far worse to be sitting there just...waiting for the inevitable.  "I think that it can sense everytime you're around because it seems to struggle harder to reach out to you and finally be held by its daddy."  As if on cue, the babe gave a violent kick and Rayne brought Aniketos' hand down to her stomach to let him feel his child attempting to touch the world.

"I've often found myself staying up late at night imagining just what he..or she, will look like and each time I see you mirrored in its eyes and it makes me more and more excited to finally hold it and teach everything about the world...." she didn't even breathe as she spoke, speaking mostly for the sake of saying something to try and take his mind off of the pain.

"I've been thinking of what type of names we could possibly use and I've been meaning to ask you what you thought and I'm sorry that I didn't ask earlier but things have been so hectic lately as you know but now I finally remembered to ask because I certainly don't have any great ideas and what with not knowing whether it's a boy or girl we'll need to come up with both just so we're prepared."  Wow...that didn't sound as if she were nervous at all...that whole long run on sentence, "The midwife said that she was going to move into the guest bedroom this week because she seems to think that the babe is going to come early rather than later and she wants to be here right away when the labor starts, actually I think that she's just worried that I'm not resting when I should be and wants to be on hand to help you scold me when I try to do too many things eventhough I've never felt strained at all and feel as if I could do more to help around the house but you two are just too stubborn and...and..." crap, she couldn't think of anything else to say.  Everything she could say he already knew.

Rhindeer

The pain had ceased to grow in intensity, oddly enough, though the pain continued to throb throughout his chest and in his belly, and the emotions from Nakaris had not calmed. His torturer...he was probably planning other things. Maybe questioning him now. And Aniketos, like Rayne, knew that Nakaris wouldn't talk. He was too stubborn. And...and what would happen if he did talk? He was a wanted man. He'd killed before. If he talked, told whatever it was he knew...wouldn't that mean whoever caught him would no longer have a use for him, and he'd be...brought to justice? Nakaris wasn't stupid...

Or would he be kept alive?

Gods, who had caught him...?

And among that torrent of emotions from his brother, he could also feel Rayne's terrified ones...a feeling of desperation coming from her, of helplessness...just like from Nakaris, though his emotions also included hatred. So many painful emotions, swirling within him, practically drowning out his own...both from people he loved and cared about. Especially Rayne...

He realized he was shivering lightly as he clutched her hand and held his arm wrapped around his stomach, both because of the pain and because he was starting to feel nauseous, on the threshold of being overwhelmed by the situation, by the sickeningly negative emotions, by his own emotions and fears and concerns, more for the ones he loved than for himself...but Rayne knew what to do. She might not think she did, but it helped more than she could ever know. Even if her words were laced with nervousness, and even if it was painfully obvious she was afraid by the way she so breathlessly spoke and by the emotions still pouring from her...

For a while, his mind was taken away from the pain and fear, the sensation of the restless babe kicking against his hand and the sound of Rayne's voice washing away all other sensations and emotions in a wave of wonder. Or, at least, numbing them for a time.

"It...it certainly has yer spirit," Aniketos commented quietly as he felt the babe within her, a small smile forming despite all the pain within. He, too, had spent nights trying to envision what the infant would look like...and his mind always wandered back to that vision of the little girl he had seen, the one that looked so much like Rayne... "I...I've tried to imagine what it would look like, and everytime...I just can't help but see that girl I told y' about...th' one that looked so much like you..."

He raised his eyes to look at Rayne, and shifted his hand along her belly to once again reclaim her hand. "And it doesn't...surprise me that it'll wanna come early...look who it has as its mum! I knew it would..." And then, a small, teasing smirk. "An' y' really do need t' rest more."

Ohh, he knew she hated that! But he couldn't help it! It really was fun to tease her.

"What...what kinda names have you...have you come up with...?"

Goldie

Her spirits lifted as she saw the smile begin to grow on his lips.  So her words were helping!  Even if just slightly, that smile was enough to boost her confidence and ease the strong emotions of desperation and fear in her mind.  Which in turn was probably helping him by easing all the negative emotions that were flooding his own mind.  Rayne knew how awful it was to be completely surrounded by foreign emotions and never know exactly what it was you were feeling and what other people were.

How could she not have thought about that before?  How could she have been so selfish to plague his mind with her own terrified emotions and not realize that they were probably making everything ten times worse than they really were?

Great, now there was that pang of guilt which was CERTAINLY not helping!

"I haven't come up with many...." she replied, still holding Aniketos' hand against her stomach without even realizing it, "But if it's a boy I'm drawn to the name Zawayn which means Hopeful Heart."  Her words had slowed to a calm pace with just a hint of nerves which were basically masked but noticeable if looked for.  "Unfortunately, I don't have many ideas for girl names" she chuckled to herself, "You would think that I would have some idea for that, but I don't, even if it sounds silly."

A sharp pang stabbed at her stomach causing her breath to catch sharply in her throat, but it was gone the next second, so quickly that she wasn't completely sure she had felt anything.

The babe must be kicking again, she concluded.  Probably more determined to break through her stomach because Aniketos' hand was just above it.

"Did you have any ideas?" she asked a few seconds later after she was sure the pain was not going to return.

Rhindeer

"I think...I think Zawayn is a great name," Aniketos said softly, watching her face. He was feeling a bit calmer now...Rayne's nerves were calmer, Nakaris for the moment felt a little calmer, even if that fragile calm felt as though it were balanced on the edge of a razor blade...he felt...confused, and oddly guilty, and yet vengeful and afraid...but...for a moment, at least, it was over. For a moment. It didn't stop the throbbing pain or the sense of dread, but it allowed him to catch his breath and soothe Rayne. Talking like nothing was happening, like nothing was about to happen, helped. It really did. It made it all bearable, took his mind off the suffering, off the fear...off the sense of helplessness.

He was afraid more for Rayne and Nakaris. It was always worse to stand by and watch one you love suffer than it was to actually suffer, yourself. At least...that was how it always felt to Aniketos. And that was why he was so afraid now. Rayne had to watch him suffer, feel all his racing emotions, and know that she could do nothing for him.

And Aniketos had to feel Nakaris suffer, and know he could do nothing for him, either.

J'aari hurt more than just those it directly touched...

"An' a great meanin', Rayne. I...I haven't been able t' come up with any, yet...I've never been good with names, an' since this is our child...I..." He forced a shaky, if genuine, sheepish grin. "I'm almost afraid I'll pick a bad name..." A very silly fear, he knew, but...he was a first time father! The name had to be special. Rayne had a gift with names, and Aniketos didn't even know where to begin! "I've been thinkin' of some, though...I just dunno ifâ€"Rayne, y'okay?"

He had started suddenly as he heard the breath suddenly catch in her throat, and concern flashed across his features. "What is it? What happened?" She was stressing too much. That wasn't good for her nor the baby. She could really hurt herself...it happened.

And then a sudden surge of utter panic and surprise jolted him from Nakaris, almost causing him to jump, himself. Oh Gods...so...it started, again...

"Rayne...?" He thought fast. Oh Gods. He didn't know what to do. He didn't want her to be here. She'd stress over him again, and she could harm herself and the baby if she did. He wanted to send her away, ask her to do some frivilous favor for him just to get her out of this room when it all started up again, but...but she'd know. No matter where she went, she'd feel his emotions. And she'd know. And she'd rush back. And rushing around wasn't good for her, either. He bit his lip, then spoke in a rush. "Rayne...it's...it's gonna start up again, I think. I'll be fine, Rayne, just please, please be calm...please try. Y' could...y'could hurt yerseâ€""

Pain swept through his side as something bit into him, many sharp fangs digging deep into the skin, and then tugging, and then <I>ripping free, slashing open his side from many different angles. Aniketos cried out in pain, but had no time to recover as that same sensation made it's way to the right side of his face, slashing and tugging, tugging almost teasingly, and then tearing free in a blaze of agony and blood. He could practically feel the skin separating, feel the blood dribbling down his enflamed skin...

Gods...how could Nakaris stand it...how could people do that to one another?! Aniketos couldn't understand it...he could only think that if he was in that position, he would have already caved.

Collapsed once again on the bed and shivering, he turned his face away, eyes clenched shut, tears forming in his shut eyes from a combination of complete agony and from the painful emotions that pummeled him. Emotions he'd never felt from his brother: disgust, despair, terror...

He wanted to stop it...but he couldn't...

Goldie

She smiled as he said he liked the name, it gave her a small sense of pride that she had found a good name on her first try.  Although it seemed silly, she too had a fear that she would pick a wrong name, or something that the babe would end up hating as it grew and curse herself and Aniketos for picking such a horrible, horrible name....but Aniketos liked it, and that was all that mattered.  So Zawayn....if they had a little boy, he would be called Zawayn.

"I'm fine" she muttered grinning back at him, almost forgetting that he was in pain...almost, but not quite, the emotions coming from him were less hectic than before but the underlying fear of what was going to happen was still planted firmly in her mind.  "The babe's just been...more active...than usual."

But she was not completely fine, and chose to ignore the second flare of pain that swept through her uterus like a hot knife.  And it wasn't as if she had much time to contemplate the contractions because at the same moment Aniketos warned her that it was about to start again.

Her face paled, but she fought for calming breaths.  He was right...of course he was right, she would endanger herself and the babe if she stressed too much, if she allowed her emotions to get the better of her.  Calm...she had to stay calm.  He would pull through this!  He always had before so what made this time any different?  Nakaris was a fighter, and eventhough Aniketos never admitted to it, he too fought even if in a very different way from his brother.  All these years he had conquered the j'aari which, in Rayne's eyes, made him that much stronger than his brother.  Maybe not so much physically, but the mentality he took and his control over his mind far surpassed that of Nakaris.  He would get through this...together they would get through this just like they had jumped the barriers life set for them before.

Nothing prepared her for the cry that escaped him.

Biting her lip to keep from screaming out in shock and fear along with him, Rayne held his hand tighter than before, the tears welling in her eyes as he crumpled against the bed.  There was nothing she could do....nothing....no antidote for the pain, for the raging emotions...nothing...she couldn't....

Wait....

What if she could put some type of barrier around his mind as she did with her own?  Of course there was no guarentee it would work on the pain...but perhaps...perhaps she could block off the emotions?  Let his mind rest while he struggled with the worst of it?  But she had never tried something so intricate before, and what with her barrier wavering constantly there was just as much chance that she would open his mind to all the emotions for miles which she knew had the power to throw even Nakaris into unconsciousness...Was it worth the risk?  Or maybe she was stressing over nothing and in reality her magic could only work on herself and not others...after all she had never tried something that inticate, that dangerous, on anyone but herself.

Making up her mind she leaned over him, more than aware of his shivering which just re-enforced her decision.  Touching her cool fingers to his temple she closed her eyes and opened the barrier on her mind, bracing herself for all the emotions that flooded through her brain as she sifted through them, getting close and closer to the ones she knew were coming from Aniketos.  There....there they were, flaring brightly through all the everyday emotions.  Blocking out everything else she focused on them and made her way towards them, towards the mind that housed them, praying that it would work, that she could somehow create a barrier against all emotions but his own...

With a deep breath she pushed herself as close as she could to the link that connected Aniketos' and Nakaris' minds and placed herself before the swarming emotions sending tendrils of her magic to twine around them and neutralize them until they became so tiny that they could easily be overlooked.

Then she opened her eyes, praying that it had worked, that she had been able to do something....anything....or perhaps all her efforts were in vain and all she had managed to do was find a way to drain her strength in half in the matter of seconds....but she had done something.....the links to hers and Aniketos' mind were opened more as half of her attention was focused on her own barrier, the other half focused on what she hoped was another for him.

Rhindeer

Once again, the pain did not increase after those two biting strikes, and Aniketos could only assume Nakaris was being interrogated during the pause. But how he could even think anymore, with so much stress on his mind, so much pain, so many fearful emotions...it seemed impossible. Aniketos could hardly even form a logical thought, swamped with so many emotions, foreign and his own, and so much pain that wasn't even his. His body burned with pain, throbbing, stinging, stabbing...sheer agony blazing up and down the affected areas.

Alright, deep breaths. It had paused. It was over for now. But...it wasn't the actual pain that was really so painful; he'd felt pain from his brother countless amounts of times. But Gods, those emotions...the panic and helplessness from Rayne, and from Nakaris. He'd never felt such horrible emotions from either of them! It cut into him deep, as deeply as that sword had, even though it wasn't actually he that was being cut. And he couldn't do a thing about it. He couldn't make it better.

Him. A healer.

He had saved people before against terrible odds, but he was helpless to do anything for himself or the person that shared this link with him. Not a single thing. It was almost funny, really. Cruel irony. A healer that could heal anyone but himself.

He was breathing heavily as he tried to block out the pain, tried to regain some semblance of control, eyes clenched shut against the tears that burned beneath his eyelids, frustrated tears. He should never have let Nakaris leave with that woman. He didn't know how that would have worked, since he would have healed and then gone back to his old tendencies, but...he still couldn't help the feeling. He couldn't help but feel guilty, responsible...like he hadn't done enough. Those feelings he was getting from him...

No matter what he'd done, he knew it wasn't his fault, and...he was still his brother. His younger one, at that. Only by a few minutes, but...

He should have done somethingâ€"anythingâ€"to save him. And

And now he wasn't doing a thing for him, once again...

And Rayne...even though he'd told her not to worry, not to stress...yeah right...how could he expect anyone NOT to do that? If she was suffering before his very eyes, and she told him not to worry about it...that just would not go over well! He'd be beside himself with worry! Hell, he worried about her if she simply did too much around the house, worried about her and the babe, worried about her health, if she was resting enough, eating right...all pretty trivial things! Gods, how could she not worry, when she could feel his emotions, and he could feel hers...and...this was the absolute worst time for something like this to happen. She was nearing the end of her term...

Aniketos gulped in a breath, but it caught in his throat for a moment. He couldn't just lay here. He had to do something. Anything. What, he didn't know. But he couldn't just lay here while his brother was being tortured and Rayne was having a panic attack because he was being tortured with him! He made a weak movement to get up, but pain jolted through his body and virtually held him rooted to the spot.

And it was then that he felt it.

He could feel...something happening. Among the deluge of emotions, he could feel something prodding at his mind...at the part where J'aari connected he to his brother, an inpenetrable link...

And he recognized the sensation.

It was a sensation he'd felt before...not one initiated by anyone else, but one initiated by himself. In the beginning, after Nakaris had...turned...Aniketos had tried to put up a barrier of his own, block out the sensations he got from his brother. It had actually worked for a few moments, but then...

J'aari had simply pushed the barrier away. Or gone around it. Aniketos couldn't tell how it happened, but...it was just suddenly like the barrier was no longer even there. But, Aniketos understood it...their connection was not like many connections, it was one born into them, infused into their very blood and spirit. The magic was split among them so that both had only one half of a single whole. That was how the connection worked. And why it could not be squeezed off or blocked.

And now he felt that same tell-tale situation, felt cool fingers on his temple. He cracked open his eyes and saw Rayne. And knew. She was doing it. A flash of concern shot through him...he wasn't quite sure how her power worked...would it take energy from her to do this? But he couldn't stop her, because it was already done. He could feel the flaring emotions begin to die down as, for a moment at least, the barrier would hold up...

But even if it would only last for a moment, it was a blessed one...

It didn't still the pain, it didn't calm his own emotions, but it did something.

He swallowed, his mouth dry. "Thank...thanks, Rayne..." Aniketos murmured tiredly, wincing as the pain in his face flared, as the pain in his side burned everytime he filled his lungs.

Goldie

Hearing his voice was possibly the best thing that she could possibly have heard at that point in time.  It meant that her attempt to help him had really worked, and that she hadn't pushed out part of her strength in vain.  She was helping to ease his suffering and that felt better than anything in the world.  

Smiling gently down at him, she hid her exhaustion; positive that Aniketos would have her stop helping if he knew how much it took out of her.  But she didn't care about that, he was relieved, even if just for a few moments time.

"You're welcome..." she murmured, taking her free hand and gently pulling the cool towel across his brow.  Her panic had subsided when she realized that she wasn't as helpless as she had previously believed, but the worry still reflected strongly in her eyes and through her slightly shaking hand.  How could she do anything but worry?  It seemed almost silly for him to tell her not to, but she could understand exactly why he told her.  With the babe on the way it became even more crucial that she remain calm...remain calm and rest for the entire day.  It seemed that in the past weeks even cooking had become something he frowned up, but she wouldn't let him get everything that he wanted.  But now...now she had to try and stay calm, try and not to worry for the person she cared about more in the entire world...

Oh Gods, how could she possibly mask that emotion?  It seemed that worry had become a constant emotion for her since the moment she had met Nakaris years before....but then she had met Aniketos and everything had changed.  She had thought that she would never have been able to get close to anyone...especially the twin of the man who had cursed her for so long....but it seemed love worked in strange ways and who was she to ignore its calling?  That would be selfish when many people in the world never found love and lived desolate, lonely lives.

"How are you doing?" she asked quietly, her voice shaking slightly despite her determination to keep it steady.  A strong face, that's what she needed to show him, that she was strong for both of them.  "If you need anything ju--"

Her words were cut short as another hot knife ripped across her stomach, this time much stronger than the last two making it impossible for her to ignore it.  The pain forced her to drop the towel she had been dabbing across Aniketos' forehead as she wrapped her arms around her waist, willing the pain to stop.  Oh gods, not now...not now not now!!  This was possibly the worst time for the contractions to start....

But she couldn't stop them and they slowly became closer and closer together, marking that these were more than just pre-labor contractions that meant nothing....this was the real thing...oh gods, but she wasn't ready!  As much as she wanted to see her beautiful baby...how could she possibly let the miracle of life occur when its daddy definately wasn't in the right mind set or physical health to be there!

And she needed to be lending him strength!  How were they going to get through this if both of them were immobile and in torturous pain?

"A..ani..." she choked out, staring blankly at the floor below her bulging stomach, "Ani....I think...I think the babe's com---"  Another wave of pain washed over her, making her breath catch in her throat as she focused on keeping her breathing steady like the midwife had told her before hand....but oh gods was it hard.  Especially now that she had Aniketos to worry about just as much, if not more than, she had to worry about herself.

Breathe....

Oh Gods but she couldn't...

This was bad...oh this was worse than it could possibly have been.  Her breaths were anything but calm as the panic set in from everything that was happening, coming in as sharp sobs.  And that definately didn't help to have the stress level rise sharply at the beginning of the labor...and she had been told that labor could last hours....that her mother alone had been in pain for the entire night before Rayne had been born...

She couldn't deal with this...not now...oh gods not now...

But she didn't have a choice.

Rhindeer

Aniketos had been about to answer her question, reply as calmly as he could that he was doing alright, which wouldn't have been a lie. He wasn't really hurt. He was in perfect health! And the pain hadn't increased, though it hadn't gotten any better, either, but the fact that he was for the moment cut off from other emotions did help, a lot; that had probably been the most agonizing part. But once again, there was a notable pause in the pain...they tended to last a few good minutes. The last ones had. But the pain had only continued to increase when the "break" ended, so it wasn't exactly a comforting pause. But it was a much needed one, and he took advantage of it by gaining his bearings and bracing himself for the next round that was sure to come...unless his brother broke, that is...

He winced at the thought, and quickly pushed it from his head. He wanted to do something...but was far from being in a state where he could, and wouldn't even know where to start.

But thank Gods there was a pause at that moment. It couldn't have come at a better time, even if the entire situation couldn't have come at a worse oneâ€"if there ever was a good time to be indirectly tortured, that is.

Rayne's voice cut off in midspeech, her arms wrapping around her midsection in an obvious show of pain. And warning bells went off in Aniketos' mind, though his face had turned oddly blank despite the wave of worry that rushed through him. Oh no...don't tell him...

He didn't need to hear Rayne's choked words to know what was happening.

Even if he wasn't...incapacitated...he just knew he'd have a panic attack, anyway. He'd handled deliveries before with complete calm, but it was a different story entirely when the one having the child was someone you knew, much more your own wife with your own children! It was a combination of anticipation, excitement, and fear. He wanted to meet his child, more than anything, wanted to see its face and hold it for the first time ever. But now...oh Gods...he wasn't in the condition to help, this wasn't the right time! And though he knew the babe was scheduled to arrive early...had...had this been induced by stress? Would there be complications? Gods, the worst thing that could possibly happen was for the labor to have been induced earlier than was meant, before the child was positioned right!

No, no...he was stressing Rayne out enough as it was. The pain...it wasn't his. He just...as difficult and impossible as it would be, he had to just push it from his head. Thank Gods the emotions were blocked for now; it would have just been overwhelming at this point, with so much happening at once, two people he loved in agony at once. For Aniketos, physical pain had always been easier to deal with than emotional pain, which cut a lot deeper, so with the lack of outside emotions, he could really start to focus, just as he had been able to when he'd treated his brother before. And now, he had to be calm. He could do this. Childbirth was probably one of the toughest, if most wondrous things, and...pain or not, he had to be her pillar of strength. For Rayne, he could do this. He had to be calm for her, strong for her...

This would be hard on her, and he knew it...and though he was excited to see their child, he just...he just wished it didn't have to hurt...he hated seeing her in pain...that perhaps hurt him more than the pain he was facing himself, to see those tears running from her eyes...

He wished he could make it better.

Pushing himself up forcefully, even as pain made him lightheaded, he forced himself, shakily, to his feet. "Rayne...it's...it's okay...yer...yer gonna be okay...we'll just..." He wrapped an arm around her carefully, supporting her. If it weren't for the dizziness, if he hadn't been afraid of dropping her, he would have carried her instead. As it was, he felt the need to hurry...before another random attack of pain came. "We'll just get y' to th' room, okay? I'll get th' midwife. Just focus on breathin', love. Deep breaths," he told her as he carefully, slowly, guided her up toward their room.

Each step was agony, but he bit it back, held it down. He couldn't ignore it, but he could bear it, and now, with the situation at hand, it was more of an inconvenience than something he feared. But the importance of this situation made it so.

He called for the midwife as soon as they reached the top of the stairs, and was greatful for her help as she came from her own room to help, and the fact that both Rayne and Aniketos looked in pain was probably an odd sight. But she said nothing about that, and went on ahead to their room to prepare the bed while Aniketos continued to carefully guide her there, finally arriving and gently easing Rayne down onto it.

Aniketos knelt at her bedside and took her hand in one of his, and reached his free hand out to gently but firmly press a presure point near her hip as the midwife went about making her preparations. Hopefully, that would relieve some of the pain...not much, but a little...

"It's okay, Rayne. Just...just think...we're...gonna see our little child, soon. Just think about that...just think about breathing...yer gonna be just fine..."

Goldie

She couldn't help it, couldn't help the worry, the stress, the thoughts of pure fear racing through her mind.  How could she possibly be ok with this?  With the contractions, with the child coming now, coming...oh gods it was coming...and Aniketos couldn't even...he was being pummled by his own pain!  How could he possibly be there....for her...

No!  Those thoughts were selfish!  He needed her now more than she needed him!  Most woman had to go through childbirth at one time or another, she could get through this...she could...but Aniketos...he was being plagued by pain that no one should have to endure!  And he hadn't even done anything to deserve it where as, labor was completely natural for Rayne...completely natural...she needed to be strong for him, for the man she had fallen in love with, quirks and all.

But it was too late, he was already up and leading her away, with as much care as possible, before she could even resist.  Truth be told, she didn't want to resist his help, in fact part of her wanted the babe out now!  She knew that the pain would only get worse, that this was the first stage of the labor and that she had many, many, agonizing hours left to go, hours in which she would be completely immobile, a victim to her own pains.  Oh gods!  How could she possibly be there for Aniketos?  How was he able to just stand and ignore that pain for her?  She knew that he loved her, but just by standing up amidst the torture proved it even more and brought tears to her eyes.  If only she had that strength...

Breathe...

He was right, she needed to calm down, to make her breaths come in easily, calmly...calm, that was the key word.  She needed to stay calm, to push aside the panic that so quickly invaded her mind in the current situation.

Breathe

Oh come on...she needed to calm down!  It wasn't that hard to breathe calmly when she had practiced!  Why did it suddenly become so difficult the moment she was faced with a trial?  Because you weren't giving birth she reminded herself, stopping as another contraction ripped across her stomach.  Her breaths were slowing down, but weren't anywhere near the calm, collected breaths she had practiced so many times.

The bed...yes, she was laying on top of the bed now and the midwife was there, lending her help, which was definately a lot of help...but...

The pain had stopped...just...it was cut off.  Turning her head she looked at Aniketos and realized that it was him, not the midwife, who had stopped the pain, by a simple thing as a pressure point.  Oh Gods how she loved having a healer for a husband!  Not that she wouldn't love him even if he wasn't a doctor of course!

"How long have you been having contractions?" the midwife asked, the first thing she had said since she had arrived on the scene.  Looking back towards the woman, Rayne was perplexed to see she was biting her lip, obviously thinking.

"I...I'm not sure..." she muttered, wincing as another quick contraction hit, "I think the first...the first was about when Aniketos...fell..."  Well that didn't help much.  How long had he been hurt?  How long had she sat beside him, holding his hand, telling him to hold on?  A few hours at least, "Maybe...five...or six hours ago."  well it was out now...and she was sure that Ani wouldn't be too pleased to hear she had been in labor for nearly that long and not told him!  But she hadn't known!  Honestly!

"I..I thought they were just the pre-labor contractions...like the ones a few months ago..." Oh Gods she sounded stupid!  How could someone go into labor and not even know?  It probably sounded pretty pathetic!

And sure enough, the midwife shook her head, "I could have given you something to stop the labor." she muttered, walking over to gather some towels that Teague had just brought in on her request before leaving, obviously feeling out of place in the birthing room, "But now there's nothing we can do but hope that the babe is large enough to survive on it's own.  Don't move, I'm going to check to make sure the child is positioned correctly."  Leaning foreward, she placed her hands gently on Rayne's stomach and closed her eyes.  A soft gold light appeared around her hands as she used her unique power to see inside of the womb.  Her brow crinkled and she pulled away, shock clearly written on her face.

"My God..." she muttered, "I didn't see it before..."

Rayne had to fight back panic that began creeping up her throat.  Oh no...oh no no no!  What was wrong!?  What was happening!?  Had...was the...was the babe dead?  Was it going to be a still birth?  Had she done something wrong?  Oh Gods!  She should have listened to them about resting!  But instead she had gone and killed the babe!  She wanted to die...wanted to sink into a hole and just..just...

"It's nothing bad!" the midwife rushed, noticing the clear panic that Rayne was feeling, "It's just...." she paused.

"You have twins."

Rhindeer

Aniketos felt his jaw, quite literally, drop. "Six...hours..." Indeed, the news that Rayne had been in labor for maybe six hours was not exactly what Aniketos had wanted to hear, now of all times! His honey brown eyes widened as he looked to her, mouth still slightly open. Oh jeez...she had to be kidding! She'd been having contractions all that time and hadn't said a thing? He'd noticed her wince once, but she'd said it was nothing and he had passed it off as maybe a grimace at the situation. She'd been in labor. And she hadn't said a thing about it because she hadn't wanted to worry him, if he knew her! But she still should have said something! Then he could have done something.

"Oh Rayne...what am I...gonna do with ya...?" he muttered, more to himself than to her, as he squeezed her hand supportively and kept the pressure on her hip firm. But so much had happened in so little time. There was just...so much stress. Everything had been pretty stress free since saving Teague, and then, randomly today, it just decided to whack them all over the head with emergency after emergency. Rayne, Nakaris, himself...all in one day. All at once! It would have been easier to handle if it all happened spaced apart a little, one at a time. But life was never that easy.

And he couldn't help but feel guilty for this. Of course it wasn't his fault, but...but he should have tried to...tried not to stress out so much! She could feel everything from him! And stress...Gods, but his worse fear was for this to have been brought on by stress. If the contractions started when he fell...Gods, hopefully it was just a coincidence. He didn't know what he'd do if something happened to Rayne or the babe...

As soon as the thought popped into his head, he opened his mouth to question the midwife, to ask her to check if the child was positioned correctly. But, if seemed she had already thought of that, and had a more efficient way of checking, too. He watched as the woman's hands glowed around her hands, placed gently on Rayne's belly, and then he looked up to watch her face for anything that could clue him in to what results she was receiving.

Her reaction was not the reaction he was hoping for, and his stomach reflexively clenched as she jerked away in shock, and spoke the words that no new parent wants to hear.

Oh damn...oh damn...was...was it a breach? Deformed? A stillborn?! There were so many things that could be wrong! His hand tightened around Rayne's and he bit the inside corner of his mouth. The woman was taking too long to speak! Why wouldn't sheâ€"?

The next words she spoke almost floored Aniketos.

Literally.

He released Rayne's hand quickly to grasp the bed and keep from falling over as his tense muscles turned to jelly on him in a mixture of complete surprise and utter relief. That motion didn't sit well with his phantom wounds, and he drew in a sharp breath as he righted himself, wincing. But his focus on the pain was short-lived, and a second later, he was gaping again at the nurse. The babe was...okay...the babe was fine...not a breach...not still-born...not mutilated...the babe was fine...

The babe wasn't a babe! The babe was TWO babes!

"Y...yer...yer serious...?" he asked slowly, voice almost a whisper. "Twins...yer...that's what ya saw...?"

He glanced quickly over at Rayne then, "I didn't know" plainly etched into his expression.

Twins...

Goldie

"I honestly didn't know..." she replied with all sincerity as she felt Aniketos' shock, wincing again as another contraction traveled through her lower stomach.  They were slowly becoming more painful and she was sure that if he moved his hand away from her side that the pain would be twice what she was feeling right now.  Although, something told her that the pressure point wasn't going to help as the actual birth drew closer and closer.

She kept telling herself to breath, but nothing worked as the midwife relayed her news to the two, young, almost parents.  When she paused her words, Rayne had been so close to sobbing for the dead babe that resided in her womb....but nothing prepared her for the news she received.

Twins

Oh gods oh gods.....nothing could have prepared her for that.  The shock that coursed through her mind paralyzed her to the bed, the only clear sign that she was still there and not in a trance was the grip that tightened on Aniketos' hand.  She had been carrying two babes...two precious little children and she hadn't even known.  Wasn't it normal for a parent to know if there were multiple children?  Shouldn't she have seen the signs?  But what were the signs....and even if she had, she wouldn't have picked up on them!

"The first is positioned correctly, but the second is facing the wrong way." she informed them, "But don't let that worry you!  More often then not twins will be facing opposite directions and the second will fall into place as his sibling is born.  And you're coming along just fine, Rayne.  The water has yet to break and if you'd like I can do that for you when you're fully dialated.  You're at 6 centimeters right now and I estimate you reaching 10 in an hour.  Just keep focusing on your breathing."

She tried to still her rapid breaths, but she couldn't still her racing heart.  She was terrified....now that it was finally upon her, Rayne didn't know whether to be excited or cry.  She was sure that she would have cried already if she had the strength to, but half of it was already holding onto the emotions that threatened to invade Aniketos' mind, and she wasn't about to let up her hold on that!  Part of her would rather die then let him feel that pain, but the more logical part reminded her that he wouldn't be able to cope with two children running around the house!

"Th...thank you." she choked out through another larger contraction, her hold tightening slightly on her lover's hand as the pain seered through her.  She could get through this....if there wasn't anything else she could ever do, she would get through this without making a sound, without voicing any type of complaint.  Aniketos had gone through so much worse than what she was experiencing and she wasn't about to give him any more reason to worry about her.  If he thought she was in excurciating pain that would only increase his worry.

But he's seen other women give birth before, she argued with herself, he'll know that you're in pain.  You won't be proving anything to anyone by being silent.

The thought was true, but that didn't dampen her silent vow.  She wouldn't cry out, she would hold it all in and prove to herself that she was strong enough to carry both herself and Aniketos when they both needed it the most.  And now seemed like a good time.

"Are you alright?" she breathed, turning her head to look at Aniketos.  She hoped that whatever was happening to Nakaris had stopped for now....had stopped forever!  But something told her that they wouldn't be that lucky.

Rhindeer

Aniketos could only glance back and forth between the midwife and Rayne, taken completely off guard. Twins. He should have known. He should have checked! He was a twin, after all, and didn't that make the chance of having twins of his own higher? And then that thought brought with it a sudden flash of concern, one brief instance of near panic as the pain pulsed through his body, bringing him rudely out of his shock. Twins. J'aari. Oh Gods...

For one brief, terrifying moment, he actually feared that, maybe, just maybe, J'aari could be passed onto his children, and that thought was enough to freeze the blood in his veins and make his breath catch in his throat. But then he remembered...J'aari only inhabited one set of twins at a time, ever. And as grim as that knowledge was, to know that he and his brother were the lucky twins, it was at the same time a comfort. His children couldn't get it. Ever. Not even if he died and the magic was once again released into the world to wait for its chance to possess its next victims. No, from his own knowledge of it, from the legends told in his village, J'aari could only inhabit twins, and could only enter into them at the moment of conception, before the egg had even split, which was why it was such a rare thing. Aniketos didn't know much about it, and no one really knew why the magic could only possess twins, and not take a single soulâ€"and thus stay whole. He'd heard some guess that that was the doing of the Goddess, that though She couldn't eliminate the vile substance, as it was not Her creation, She could only make slight, subtle alterations to it. She couldn't make it not possess people...but She could specify what people it could possess, since the original creator had left out that detail. And so she chose twins, as they were rarer...and as, if it possessed twins, it would be split, and thus dulled.

It was a plausible explanation. As good as any, Aniketos supposed. In any case, that knowledge eased his concern, and he breathed a deep sigh of relief. As long as they were spared...that was all that mattered.

And now that the initial panic had receded, he could bring his focus back to Rayne.

And she seemed terrified.

And rightly so. He didn't blame her. Gods, but the actual process of childbirth was not a pleasant one, and he knew it; he'd seen it, and he'd delivered children himself when no midwife was available. And it could last for hours. He'd never delivered twins, though, never seen a twin birth, but it seemed this midwife had; and she was far older than him, too, and as she did this for a living, of course she'd delivered twins, what was he thinking?! About the only thing he knew about delivering twins was that they were born smaller than single children were.

Ah! "Y'know, Rayne, it's actually good that yer havin' twins, 'cause twins come out smaller than a single child does," he offered, trying to reassure her. And as soon as he said the words...he realized that he'd probably failed miserably in that department. Come to think of it, he suddenly really doubted she'd care how "small" they were, because they'd still be big enough, and she'd have to do it twice. Um...um...another subject!

"I...I actually think I might have a name if't's a girl...or if one's a girl...or...or, yanno, if there's a girl. I was...I was thinkin' Eolynne, maybe. What do ya think?" he offered up, still keeping his fingers pressed firmly against that vital pressure point. Absently, he used his free hand to brushed some hair back from her face. "Heh, guess we'll haveta think of another name of th' same sex if they're identical. Wouldn't that be funny if they weren't, if there was a girl and a boy instead? Then we'd have th' names down and wouldn't have t' worry about it, and..."

He realized, somewhere in his deluge of words, that he was rambling. But oh man, he was nervous. For Rayne. For the children. For himself. For Nakaris. He didn't think he'd ever been so nervous before. But so much was happening right now all at once at a dizzying pace. Nevermind his own indirect-torture-induced-dizziness!

"Yer doin' just fine, Rayne," he finally finished weakly.

And then Rayne almost floored him when she asked, through it all, if he was okay. And he could only take a deep breath and nod. "As long as y' are," he told her gently.

Unfortunately, he wouldn't be okay for much longer, though for a few blessed moments, Aniketos had actually started to wonder if, maybe, the torture session had ended. Minutes down the line, though, maybe half an hour at the most, and the torturer had returned to Nakaris. Aniketos hadn't been able to feel his emotions, and if he had, he would have had a warning, would have been able to recognize the heightened panic from his brother as a sign that it was to begin again. But this time his only warning was the sudden, vicious lashes that seemed to fall all across his front side, one after the other, in rapid succession.

It took Aniketos completely off guard.

And there was nothing he could do about the splitting pain, the feeling of flesh being torn, of his whole front side being maimed and lashed and skinned brutally.

It probably didn't last all that long, but it felt like hours. Aniketos had no choice but to release his hold on Rayne and collapse on the floor against the bed, each invisible lash bringing with it a violent spasm of pain. He tried not to make a lot of noise, tried desperately not to make a big show of it, for Rayne's sake, and for the sake of the midwifeâ€"Gods, but she'd probably think him insane, and he was in absolutely no condition to explain!â€"but he failed. Utterly and completely. There was just no avoiding it, and all he could do was writhe in complete and total agony from wounds that no one but Nakaris could see, muffling his screams as best as he could behind clenched teeth. He could feel each individual barb...feel the blood gushing freely...the world was swaying, tilting sickeningly...blackness dancing in his vision...

And somewhere during it all, J'aari strained frantically against the temporary tournequet Rayne had placed on it. Pulsed.

And then broke free again as the throes of pain reached their maximum, as the connection and the powerful sensations it delivered raged wildly.

And once again Aniketos was unprotected, completely vulnerable, and flooded with a torrent of fearful, confused, and utterly degraded emotion. And the combination of physical weakness and muddled, powerful emotion was overwhelming...Aniketos could feel himself start to careen toward blackness.

Whoever had done the torturing must have realized he got a bit carried away, because suddenly the pain was gone. Another healing.

Aniketos panted heavily where he lay, his eyes closed to block out the swirling world. But he could still feel it spinning, and it only spun more violently when the feeling of being struck across the face made im gasp. He could actually feel the bruise begin to form, feel a small trickle of blood leaving his lip.

And the emotions...they were the worst...he'd never felt such fear before...such complete and utter panic and despair...

And this whole time, not once did Aniketos find himself fearing for himself. All he could think of was his brother, and of Rayne...

Goldie

Rayne smiled weakly through her fear for both her children and for the man she had falled in love with.  She could barely keep her thoughts on anything other than the suffering that Aniketos had to endure, and the prospect that something terrible would happen to her children during birth.  Horror stories from her childhood raged in her mind of twins who died days later, of one surviving while the other was so deprived of proper nutrients that it would pass away during birth...

She couldn't help thinking that something terrible would happen, that this birth was far too premature for both of the children....

Twins

Even now, after everything was said and done, and...happening...she couldn't imagine that all this time she had been carrying two small lives within her and not even noticed!  How had she not noticed?  Thinking back it seemed absurd that the coincidences that occured hadn't brought her to think she was going to have twins.  The excessiveness of their movement, and even the emotions that she felt every once in a while!

Aniketos' ramblings didn't help to keep her mind off of things, but Rayne was grateful to just listen to his words, soothing or not, just the sound of his voice was enough to soothe her.  As long as he kept talking she didn't have to worry about the pain from Nakaris because she knew nothing was happening.

"Eolynne sounds beautiful" she murmered, through another contraction, this one much stronger than the last but the pressure point held firmly by her lover kept the majority of the pain from surfacing.  Rayne knew that even the pressure point wouldn't work once the babe started to come, but for now she was content knowing that she had a few more moments of relief before the real labor began.

"I...I think that it may....may just be a boy and girl." she informed him, trying to piece together all of the emotions that she had felt from them those past months, "Their emotions remind me.....a bit of...a bit of Tai and I when we would argue."  It was true too.  The annoyance that flared once in a while mirrored her and her brother's disagreements.  Of course she could always be wrong...but she wanted to hope that there was a girl and boy.

The next instant Ani's hand left her side and as he collapsed to the floor, Rayne shot up, twisting around to try and grab one of his hands as the largest contraction struck with the sudden movement followed by a rush of fluid between her legs as the water broke.  She vaguely felt the Midwife clean up the mess, but her full attention was on her husband...

"Ani!" she cried in shock, trying to think of something...anything that she could do to help him!  About to shout his name again she felt her hold against the emotions in his mind pulse and a few moments after, snap.

The half of her mind she had given to Aniketos was thrown back into her head like a gunshot, smashing into every rational or irrational thought that she tried to process.  For a moment everything seemed to stop, at least to Rayne.  Her eyes stared a head but she saw nothing as her brain fantically tried to ease the rush of emotions in her mind, trying to close the door that she had left open in order to protect him.  Panic...Panic...Fear....Apprehension she couldn't tell which emotions were her own...which ones were Aniketos', which ones were Nakaris, or anyone else for that matter!  She was lost even to herself as she was plunged into a tidal wave of emotions that flooded her brain until it felt like her mind would explode.

With a shuddering sigh, Rayne collapsed onto the straw mattress, her body shutting down in order to deal with the shock of having a mind link severed.

The midwife looked up, complete shocked at the sudden collapse of her patient and immediately ran over to a small bag of herbs she carried with her and held a capsule of smelling salts up against Rayne's nose.  She had to stay awake or not only would the babe's die, but the mother would as well.  She wanted to ask Aniketos to help his wife, to keep her awake, but he seemed to be out of commission as well and the job was left entirely up to her.

Rayne woke with a cough, tears stinging her eyes as a migraine caused from the back lash of magic coursed behind her eyes.  The soft sunglight that came through the window was enough to make her clench her eyes closed and bite her lip against an agonized sob that threatened to escape.  She couldn't focus on anything....and she didn't even realize where she was, or what was going on.  Subconsciously she heard the midwife tell her she needed to start pushing, but her body refused to allow her to obey.

"You need to push, Rayne." the midwife told her forcefully, scared both for the life of her patient and the children that were so close to seeing the world.  Hurrying to Rayne's side, the older woman held a warm rag against her patient's forehead in an attempt to calm the raging headache which was evident from the way she kept her eyes clenched tightly.

"When I say go, I'm going to help you sit up.  Take a deep breath and push for ten seconds.  Go"  She placed her hand gently behind Rayne's back and helped her sit up.  Rayne, suddenly realizing what was happening, gulped in air and pushed with all her might, trying desperately to focus on something, on anything, but her head wouldn't allow it and she kept wandering between Aniketos, in so much pain beside her, and the children who were in more danger now then they had ever been before.

Rhindeer

Aniketos found himself in a shocked daze, his breathing coming in short, quick gasps and his hair plastered to his damp face. Everything around him was...duller somehow, with blackness fading in and out in the corners of his vision, and even laying still, it felt like the word was moving on its own. He was vaguely aware of the midwife rushing to Rayne's side, but though the woman's words were incomprehensible to Aniketos in his state, he could understand that tone well enough. Worried, urgent. Or were those just the emotions he was feeling, those displaced emotions that had suddenly become his own, forced themselves onto him? No...no...it...it wasn't his pain...he had to snap out of this...Rayne...something...something was happening with Rayne...something was wrong...

He drew a deep, shaky breath, his chest spasming as sheer panic wanted to conquer him. He was coming back...he could hear him, coming closer, closer...it was gonna start again...Gods no, not...not...

NO!

Chest heaving with each labored breath and heart hammering in his chest, Aniketos fought with his wobbly limbs to rise. They weren't his thoughts...not his thoughts! Not his pain! Gods, he couldn't let himself cave, but this was enough to drive anyone mad! He'd never had his happen...never felt this. Gods, but now he wasn't only feeling his pain and emotions, but his thoughts? Or was he just going insane? Or were those his own thoughts, the product of his mind shutting down against the torture? He couldn't tell anymore...which were his, Nakaris', or Rayne's...

Rayne...

Another deep breath. He had to hold on. The...the midwife was doing something, speaking firmly to Rayne. Push. Already? What...what had...?

The world swayed sickeningly, focused in and out, when he finally managed to force himself up to his hands and knees. A few quick breaths, and he managed to sit up, swaying, and the world swirled in a way that almost made it difficult to keep whatever he'd last eaten down. Ignore it. Ignore it. He had to focus. Gods, that made him feel terrible...telling himself to ignore the torment his brother was going through. But he had to...had to be realistic. He could do nothing for him right now. He could do something for Rayne. She was in danger...the midwife looked worried...and Rayne...

It made him ache to see her like that...

And a sudden pang of realization struck him in that moment, as she struggled laborously with the life within her, that hadn't really, truly, occurred to him before.

She could die. She could really die here. Something was wrong...he could see it in her face; she was in a lot of pain...

That thought alone was enough to make him force himself closer, shakily reach up to cover one of her hands in his. "Keep...keep goin'...Rayne, yer...yer doin' great..." he told her as reassuringly as he could, though his voice was weak and breathless and he still felt really, really out of it. "Mid...midwife, is there...any...anything I can...?"

He knew it was insane of him to ask. He was in no condition, and he knew it. But he didn't like doing nothing...not even now. He had to at least offer. And this was Rayne, his lover and best friend...he...he had to do something...anything...

A slight flinch ran through him, a sudden pinprick of pain and the jolt of emotions that followed making his stomach clench. It wasn't a severe pain, nothing compared to the flogging, but the location to which it was applied and the surge of emotions told what it meant well enough, and it was enough to make him sick...

His brother was being tortured in every possible way...

Goldie

The pain was intense...the worst pain that she had ever felt even counting the years of agony she had lived through because of J'aari.  It felt like she was exploding from the inside, like a hot knife was slowly dragging across her stomach threatening to tear her body in half.  Each contraction brought another wave of pain, and now pushing....Gods but it hurt...it made her want to scream, to cry, to beg for it to be over....

But she wouldn't scream, and she was far too exhausted to cry.  Her mind kept wandering, making it nearly impossible for her to focus on anything for more than a few moments.  It was as if her life was flashing before her eyes.  There was Tai, running around the small village they had finally been able to settle in after the years of running with their Uncle.  And there she was, following behind him as fast as her little legs could take her but of course Tai was faster than she could ever hope to be...

Out to the outskirts of the village, right where the trees met the first houses, and right where she had first met Nakaris....

The warmth that filled her hand brought her mind back from the strange replay of memories and she looked over through blurry eyes to vaguely make out the outline of Aniketos.  He was still there...he was there and his presence was enough to give her strength even when her body was slowly draining it away.  His words were broken but they helped...she had someone to fight for...she had always had someone to fight for and now, looking at her lover she was reminded of the two lives ready to begin.  If she gave up they would not survive.  

Gods....Gods but I don't have the strength she cried silently, pleading for something, someone to lend her the strength she needed.  After the babes were born she could slip away into unconsciousness, but only then.

Rayne's hand tightened on Aniketos' fingers as she was helped up to push again, not even hearing the midwife tell Ani that the best thing he could do right now was just to comfort his wife and give her as much support as he could.  Nor did she hear the minstrel that Aniketos' had healed be called, asked to come in to help Rayne sit up so the midwife could make sure that the first of the two children was healthy and coming out without any complications.

The minutes turned into hours as the pain remained, persistantly aching, trying its hardest to make the poor girl cry out.

"Here it comes!" Came the midwife's jubilant cry as a loud wail split through the air.  Like a miracle, the pain was gone and Rayne was finally able to fall back on the straw mattress and close her eyes for a few moments.  Her breath came in violent gasps from the effort it had taken.

"It's a girl!" Came the midwife again, bringing the babe over to her parents while the second babe was waiting.  It would only be a few moments before the labor would begin again and the midwife wanted the two young lovers to see their beautiful creation.  She had been wrapped tightly in a wool blanket so only her face and head of bright red hair showed.

"She's....she's beautiful..." Rayne whispered, tears in her eyes as she looked upon her darling little girl.  Reaching up she touched the brow of her head, smiling over to Aniketos, "She looks like you, lov---"

Her words were cut short as a pain even worse than the first tore through her.  Her body convulsed against her will as the terrible agony swept through her, and this time it felt as if she really was torn in half!  Her determination not to scream was broken in that instant.  There was something wrong...oh Gods she could feel that something was wrong!