Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Here!

Started by AbiRose, March 04, 2013, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbiRose

Hey Everyone!

My name is Abby and I'm very new to roleplaying and forums and stuff.
I am trying to figure out how best to create a character and set up an interesting story.. Any thoughts/tips? :)

That would help me out greatly!

Zero

Let me start off with a big welcome!

To create a character, well, this is SotE, so just let your imagination run wild! We've got characters of all shapes and sizes here and we looooooooove unique, creative characters. Just write a character that you enjoy! From lowly peasants to grand lords and ladies, almost anything is possible and welcome.

For setting up an interesting story, you can create a plot thread in that forum, or you could just post a new thread with your character to see what happens, or if you see a character you would like to play with just throw a PM at the player! We're very friendly and we don't bite...much.

Okay, okay. I bite, but really, it's more like a playful nibble? -cough-

visualspice

Hi, Abirose! Welcome to SOTE X3 *wave!*

The first thing I would suggest is to brief over and familiarize yourself with some of the pre-created main realm of the game here: The World

Also, another good thing to help yourself get started is to create yourself a wants and limits page, which can help sell yourself an an rper. This can be found here. And will also help you sort of know what you'd like to do/accomplish while here while searching for rp buddies who may have similar interests:D

And well, a great place to start is just exactly what you are doing XD

I would also suggest creating a character or two, unless you would prefer plotting with other members first, but most of us are more than happy to begin new threads with fresh meat X3
I would just browse around the site, and if you see something you like or have a question, simply ask! (we don't bite... erm.. well some do...)

There's alo a nice PM feature here so you can send personal messages to members if you want to plot one on one with them an the c-box feature on the main page where you can introduce yourself if there's an active chat going.

The members and admins here are super nice so I hope you enjoy your time playing with us and hope some of my advice helps :D

Have fun!

-the spice
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

GoblinFae

Welcome!

As everyone has beat me to it, just do whatever feels right for you. There is no shortage of people who are going to want to play with you *waves enthusiastically* (self included), so don't worry about making interesting plots. The fun of threading is that there is always someone else to help write the story too ^.^

Feel around until you're comfortable and then take the plunge. You can also talk to members in our cbox located on the main forum. You don't have to but it's a nice place to talk in real time and test the waters.

If you have anymore questions in the future, don't hesitate to ask. We are more than willing to be of assistance ^.^ I look forward to working with you in the future!

Happy writing!
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Looshi

Welcome to SotE! (: 

Everyone else has filled you in pretty well. This place is great group to get started in RPing with, like they said. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, or pop into the c-box!

Happy RPing!

AbiRose

Thank you all so much! I didn't expect such a warm welcome. :D

Hihi, I am really excited about exploring everything and starting setting up my character and story. If i need any more help (and I'm sure I will) you will hear from me again. :)

Paradox

Welcome to SotE!

Once you've read the information available on the site, you're pretty much good to go IF you have previous roleplaying experience. This site welcomes folks of all writing levels and I'd like to think that most of us here aren't snobs when it comes to picking up partners. : ) Personally , I like to write with people above and below my skill level. I can help those less experienced and I can learn from those more experienced. Either way, you are being rewarded in some way, yes?

The true key to a fun and successful roleplay is to write what you love and to write with people who share your interests. It is also good to sometimes challenge yourself as a writer. Consider creating a character type that you've never played before! Maybe you've always played a bad boy because you think they're more interesting. Well, the truth is that a 'good guy' can be just as interesting so long as you balance out their goodness with the right amount of character flaws. Also challenge your character by shoving them into scenarios where they're out of their comfort zone because it will make you seriously take a deeper look into your character's psyche and perhaps realize something about them that you might never have thought of had you run the usual favored scenarios!

Naturally, not everything is going to work out for a particular type of character, but when you can find a flexible writing partner whom is willing to work with you to make the rp fair and interesting, you will never want to stop writing and you'll get so excited about all the crazy adventures that you can fling your unwilling (let's admit here these are the most fun to rp...because torturing them is so easy <3) characters into ! Whee!

I hope you have a blast here at SotE. I know I'm having one!

One last tip I have for you if ever you feel overwhelmed: Start off with a simple character concept and build on it. Make a basic, bland profile with a character whose life has been mostly uneventful. Make this character young and build their story. I usually start with these and my characters don't seem miraculous at first, but as time goes on I let their personality and actions in the rp speak for them and I modify my profile as the rp progresses. :)  It's very fun and interesting to see how characters grow over time . ^^

Lorcain

Hello! If you need any help with characters and stuff, you can ask me or anyone else :D

I'd suggest looking through the links Spice gave you, and on The World page you can look through the different countries to get an idea of them ^_^