Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Beginnings

Started by SapphireIceDragon, July 29, 2014, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireIceDragon

Alena stumbled over a fallen log, her breath coming out short and uneven. How many days has it been? Three, perhaps? She forced her legs to move. Yes, I believe I've been running from them for three days now. I can't hold up much longer...Her entire body ached, her muscles complaining with every step. She gritted her teeth and ignored her burning lungs. The nearest inn isn't that far off. I can do this. Her cloak stuck to her with sweat. However, she didn't remove it in fear of others seeing. What if there are others that hate my kind as well? A dizzying sensation came over her, and the world seemed to spin. No, not now...I can't give up...She let out a shuddering breath before crumpling to the ground and losing consciousness.

Rock

The murky water filled the fish's vision.  It swam lazily, having just eating it's latest prey.  That is, until a dark shape appeared right in front of it.  It made a strange, wailing sound, sending vibrations through the water, scaring the poor Jawnut to the point of fleeing.
"Where are you going?!  I need to ask you how to get back to land!" bellowed Rock, oblivious to the fact that the fish could not understand him.
I guess I'm stuck wandering then.  Why did I leave my island?  Oh.  Right.  Those strange dark-skinned people chased me away.
Rock, the massive stone elemental, continued his plodding journey through the sea.

SapphireIceDragon

Alena slowly opened her eyes, afraid of what she might see. Have I been captured? However, she saw that she was in a small room, not a dungeon deep underground. Soft sunlight streamed through the window. She got out of bed and headed to the door. I wonder who saved me... She walked down a long, narrow hallway before entering the tavern of an inn. The bartender looked up at her.

"I'm glad to see ya up and runnin', lassie!" he walked over to her, his steps wavering slightly. At least he's not completely drunk... "I saw ya out cold in the forest. You're lucky I found ya."

"Did you see anyone cloaked in black?" Alena winced at the fear that was evident in her voice.

"Nope, not a soul," the bartender replied.

"That's a relief..."

Dansen

The parting of the forest allowed the young traveler to see a small inn jutting out of the dense forest that surrounded him and perhaps the occupiers. Its taken awhile, I never thought that I'd have to trek through this neck of the woods without a caravan... Calder's black cloak seemingly felt more moist than usual... He had realized that his walking through the opening had lead him into a large puddle, the muddy water being soaked up by the full body cloak lead the young man to cry out for a moment in disparity. "If its not one thing then its most certainly another..." Thinking aloud to himself he upturned his hood to let the sun shine on his exposed face, it might have been nice enough to dry out the cloak... But Calder's luck was not exceptionally great in such situations.

Taking steps to the inn the gentleman thought it'd be appropriate to knock first, it was the beginning of the day and though he had slept in the brush for a good old fashion dirt nap he had need of some food and supplies. Knocking on the door with his unarmored hand, one being constantly hidden for fear of reprisal from some who disliked magic and demonic forces alike, the man called out to anyone within. "Good day! I'm looking for some supplies and food for travel, may I come in?"

The innkeep was hesitant after hearing his ward in the young girl being fearful of followers, but hearing the man he felt it would only agitate the situation if he did not let him come in. "Aye lad come in we have food and drink here..."

After hearing the confirmation Calder opened up to see a rather empty little keep, with only the man who called out and another, this being a girl though as he walked in Calder pulled off his cloak and put it out to the owner. "Do you mind if I leave this out to dry, seems the road to the entrance had some terrible tracks of land." Kindly asking the innkeep still looked suspiciously as he noted the coloring of the cloak only taking it from him to move into the back with it yet noting the man's leather armoring and strange array of swords, one the right size and shape for a man his age and the other.

It couldn't really be called a sword, more like a giant slab of iron with an edge on the back of the young man in front of him. The very sight of it made him aghast hurrying away not sure what this man wanted and if he was one who the lady mentioned, at this point it was not worth the trouble if he was...

Placing his weapons on a nearby wall Calder looked to the girl in the tavern area, the girl was quite a beauty to find in these parts but it  seemed as if she was rather nervous of something, it might have been his appearance there with his weapons as well as his arm armored in a gauntlet unlike the rest of his body. As much as Calder tried it tended to make people nervous when he had to carry the tools of a mercenary around with him.... 

SapphireIceDragon

Alena glanced at the young man, and her blood froze. Is he one of them? The huge sword he had on him could easily kill her. However, after a moment of assessing him, she decided that he didn't look hostile at all. She let out a relieved sigh. He's probably just a weary traveler... Now that she knew that she was out of harm's way, she had a decision to make. She obviously had to find a new home. A new occupation, as well. Her family had been rich, so she had never needed a job before. Can I trust this traveler? She took a deep breath and walked over to him. He was a bit intimidating, considering that he was at least a head taller than her!

"E-Excuse me sir," She hated sounding weak, but she was never very strong. She tried to calm her nerves. "C-Can I travel with you? I'm afraid that I've ran out of luck, and I don't have anywhere to go." After she had said that, she noted how vulnerable she sounded. If he had been after her, she'd be easy to kill. If he finds out that I'm half angel...I just hope that he's not part demon...

Ferr Windston

"Note to self, next time I am in the home land, bring more food." Damion sighed before falling against a tall tree in the middle of the woods. The man took in a deep breath before pushing off the tree and venturing forward down the vague path before him. He held his stomach with his off hand, adjusting his cloak with his other hand. The armored man had been walking for weeks, returning from his homeland of Connlaoth to the lower kingdoms.

In those few weeks he had been dealing with minor demon on his way down here. It was like every corner had one of the little bugs around it ready to lunge at Damion. He soon came up to a more clear path, leading up into a tavern. This gave the man an ecstatic feeling. Finally he could get some new supplies. And sleep in a bed for a night. Even though it was still the day and plenty of time before evening. Once that thought passed his mind he was sad again.

"If it comes to that, I'll just stay here the whole day." Damion said as he approached the door and opened it. His off white cloak waved in the small breeze he made walking in. His giant sword hidden behind the long cloth, all except the lovely and brilliant hilt. His icy eyes fell upon the bar and he walked towards it with a merely step. "You have no idea how long I have been needing to be in a place like this." He smiled brightly. "Sir, anyway I can get water, and if possible, milk?" Damion asked.

The man looked at him strangely for a second before nodding, moving to the back. 

Brisinger987

The bar was pretty boring, and so, she sat in her corner, downing drink after drink, and realising slowly that getting drunk wasn't actually something she could do.

The more she drunk, the more she got dizzy, but she didn't feel any different, her legs just stopped working properly, and so did all her muscles and eyes. She thought fine, but her body wanted different things.

This wasn't how being drunk had been described to her quite honestly. This was how she envisioned being hurt badly. Not being drunk where everything was fun and lovely. This was horrible.

She thought for a second, and then her body told her to go and say hello to the new man that had walked into the bar, he looked like her kind of man.

She stumbled over, her wings folding out, and one patron jumping as her drunken wing knocked over his drink.

"Y-you... Whu... What are you doing? Why don-don't... Why don't you come t-talk to me? Huh?... Hot stuff..." Her eyes turned to the door, and she realised it was still day time.

"Oh. It's still day time." As the light entered the voids in her eyes, she began to recover, the demon half of her purging the alcohol quite quickly.

"I'm Temhota, sorry about that. The alcohol wasn't being particularly good. I can't get drunk." She listed off, her personality switching and rearranging itself constantly.

((OOC: More relevant reply))

Rock

"Where on Terra am I now?!"  Rock frustratedly screamed to no one.  He had been marching ever westward for a very long time now.  The reefs had turned to sandbars, and those to shoreline.  Rock emerged from the water slowly, but not by choice.

"And you!" He shook his arm, trying to dislodge the massive shark. "You are persistent, and that rocks, but could you please GET OFF!!"

After it finally released its grip, Rock resumed his forward progress.  The fisherman he had failed to see blanched at his sheer strength, and would tell the tale of the stone man who wrestled a shark for years to come.

It is time I found a place to stop.  Maybe in a few hundred miles or so.

Ferr Windston

"Excuse me?" Damion stared at the woman baffled by her appearance. The man looked at her eyes and wings, her overall appearance seemed other worldly yet was appealing. He looked to the patron who was frozen looking at her and his spilled drink. A brief chuckle escaped his mouth before looking back at Temhota.

"Hello there." He said, figuring it would be the correct response. I mean, what exactly do you say to someone that comes up to you drunk? Not to mention said person was drunk a moment ago, but then sobered up like it was an act of belching out the alcohol. "Well good to meet you, Temhota."

Damion gave her a small smile and bowed his head. "I am Damion. And I normally can't hold more then ten drinks at once." He laughed only slightly so he didn't make the interaction awkward or anything. "I ugh." He looked again to her back and wings. "I like your wings. Are you perhaps a Yoreiqi?"

Brisinger987

"If I told you why I had wings, then there would be no fun in that..." She considered actually telling him for a minute, but instead she just smiled and let her eyes glow at their fullest.

"And besides, I'll lose the air of mystery." She grinned. "40 is my upward limit. It took me forty drinks to get to a point where my body was wobbly. I'm blessed in that sense. I can't drink to death." She sighed, inviting him to follow her.

"Come, sit with me. I've grown tired of my corner being so lonely."

===============================

The human sized dragon heard Rock, and turned to look in his direction, her golden eyes shining out of the treeline.

She roared at him, stepping out of the treeline.

"Who are you?!" She shouted at him, angry that he had been so aggressive with the innocent shark.

"And why do you treat the wildlife so?!"

Dansen

The bar at the inn seemed to gather more and more colorful characters as the minutes grew further on. Not long Calder had taken a seat another would enter into the bar, this man was not unlike himself in regards to clothing and overall stature. Though unlike the mercenary he was wearing quite a bright white cloak as he entered the door, the hilt of his blade was all that the young man could see but underneath the billowing cloak he could tell that the blade he was using was quite sizeable not as long or wide as his own greatsword but in his own respects that was not due to his own choice but due to its use by his 'partner'.

As the brightly cloaked man walked in Calder noted something else on him, it was the scent of something quite familiar to the man at this point. For the past 2 or 3 years he could catch the scent of something that was not of the natural world but instead something mystical... He could catch it on the body of the man as he entered, whether it was from a creature recently slain or something else Calder felt a tinge of worry creep up his spine as he settled into his seat and checked on his protected arm. The tense feeling from his limb made him worry more, but he was sure that during his trip here he had dealt with the 'issue' that haunted him throughout the days it seemed that the feeling may have been his own fear of discovery, or maybe he was just getting use to being in fear of losing himself....

As too almost bring him out of the stupor of thought he had fell into the young woman who he had seen when entering the tavern came to speak with him. With a look of almost shock Calder noted the other man going to order from the keeper of the establishment, at least with this he could be more comfortable knowing the other man did not seem to note anything different or out of the ordinary with him. The girl on the other hand seemed shy to start speaking with the young man in front of her, she asked of him with stuttered speak to be a travelling companion, seemingly down on her luck and without a place to go Calder could tell that this girl was in a similar predicament to him if only due to terrible circumstances. "You'd like to travel with me?.... I suppose I can't see why having company on the road would not be more preferable than being alone." Looking over to the bartender the man called out as the still rather suspicious older owner looked to him.

"Sorry for troubling you again like this but could I get some food for myself, and possibly for my friend here as well? I can pay in advance if you wish." The polite manner of speaking along with the rather sizeable coin pouch that found itself on the table as he procured it from his inner armor seemed to dismiss the worries of the man as he smiled towards the man and went back to gauge the food stuffs for him as well as get the drinks for the other man by the bar. Looking to the girl again a kind smile came onto the face of Calder as he beckoned the girl to sit. "Please don't worry about me, I'm more than a bit appreciative of your plight. If you want I can help you get to the nearest city to look for some employment, and with me around you I imagine that you'd be plenty lucky in comparison to me for the most part." Chuckling at his own poor luck turned into jest Calder had hoped that this would have calmed the poor and seemingly desperate girl down.

It was with his aim to comfort that something else fell into his attention. Another woman had moved to the other man in the tavern, it wasn't effecting him till she knocked over a patron's drink that the young man noted that she was more than just someone with avian features... Her movements at first made it clear she was quite drunk, yet suddenly she moved with grace as if she was stone sober. A feeling began niggling in the back of the young mercenary's mind, he could tell this woman was more than human and something made his armored arm begin to itch with a strange excitement. Well what do we have here.... A voice in his head rung out. It was his own but its thoughts were separate to his. The partner in his mind, he seemed to awake at the sight and feeling of the girl but Calder held his arm in check, acting as if he was simply trying to keep it limber from the eyes of his company.

Oh please don't be so timid, I'm not interested in feeding on anything right now... Well at least not yet anyway~ The voice seemed to silence itself with that rather damning warning, holding his composure the look of fearfulness changed to calm happiness when turning back to the girl in front of him. He'd have to make small talk, hopefully then he wouldn't feel as exposed and perhaps his control would be greater if he could relax a bit. "So Miss, may I ask your name?"   

SapphireIceDragon

Upon seeing the drunk girl flirt so openly with the man who just entered, Alena blushed. If I ever got drunk and did such a thing, I'd die of embarrassment! The girl immediately sobered and apologized. That's odd... Alena turned her attention back to her new travel companion, who had just asked her name.

"My name is Alena." She preferred not to say her last name, in fear of others overhearing. It's not like she needed it, anyways. Her family was dead. She snapped herself out of her thoughts when she realized that she was spacing out, not paying attention to the man in front of her. "Sorry about that," She blushed, giving him a small smile. "So, what's your name?"

Ferr Windston

"40 is your limit? I can tell you right off the bat I needed that kind of endurance a few weeks back when I got in trouble at the border. Its crazy to think someone could hold in that much." The warrior chuckled softly before turning back to the older man. He came back with some water but no milk. That was fine with the man, Damion as he placed some more money on the table then he needed to. "Hey. Just one more thing before you go. I really gotta get some food in more or I'm going to keel over. The biggest thing you got to that table in the corner. Please?"

The warrior placed on a smile, looking to the man. Taking the money the older sir nodded and walked once more to the back to gather a meal for him. Damion then turned back to Temhota and nodded. "Come on. I hate sitting by myself as well." The snow haired young man smile and brought his drink over to her table. It was as he was walking that his sword began to faintly glow before it died off. He felt it's warmth for a moment before looking around the tavern. "Angel?" He muttered to himself before shaking his head. Not in a place like this.

Dansen

The young man listened in on the new companion he seemed to have found in front of him, she had blushed at the sight of the other girl making a drunken scene. It wasn't really something that good ordinary people were use to from the day to day, but Calder didn't mind if the strange fellow and the girl who was seemingly attracted to him made their own place in the tavern, so long as they didn't do anything to make it complex for the youthful mercenary it should be smooth sailing... It seemed however that his attention should have been perhaps focused on the lovely young lady in front of him instead.

She introduced herself as Alena, no last name but it wasn't surprising for people in this day and age not to give out all their info on the first meeting. Though the lady in his company might be a bit less forthcoming Calder was fine with her greeting, she wasn't acting as anything more than a kind and down on her luck young woman, so why wouldn't he be willing to talk and introduce himself. As she seemed to appear out a dazed state he smiled in her direction with a small chuckle as she blushed slightly after her little moment with herself he decided to give out his own name, albeit softly to her hoping no one would be too nosy to hear.

"Nice to meet you Alena, the name's Calder Aren... No need to blush, though I guess that could be a part of a charm... Please sit down I'm sure the food will be along soon." Looking past her for a moment he noted the older owner walking with plates though the food was out of sight at the moment. "Speak of the devil huh?" Thinking aloud a condesending voice cried out in his head. Truly the irony in that phrase...

SapphireIceDragon

Alena tensed at the phrase "speak of the devil". She remembered that dreadful night, the massacre of her family. The killer sure looked like the devil. The sickening smile on his face, his clothes covered in blood. Not to mention how the crimson liquid stained his lips. Alena shivered at the thought. Her parents' throats slit open...She bit her lip to keep from crying. No...I can't cry here...I can't worry Calder. She took a deep breath. I'm fine... She caught how the man in front of her raised his eyebrows, and realized that she had spoken aloud. He was extremely kind for allowing her to tag along on his journeys. He had made a good impression on her, but could she tell him what had happened?

"I mean..." She sighed. "Well, the thing is..." She couldn't force the words out of her mouth. To say that her parents were dead would make it all too real. She decided to change the subject, and she hoped that he wouldn't bring it up. "So, where are you traveling to?"

Rock

Rock came to a crossroads.  He saw lights in the distance, heard reverie, but did not think this was the proper time for such things.  After all, Luna would most certainly disapprove of bright lights and loud noises during her watch of Terra.

Mud-damned fools.  I should do something.

Rock started down the path leading to the disturbances, and came across a strange structure, with others like it nearby.  He lumbered towards it, his footsteps shaking the ground, and stood looking inside.

What in the brown burrows are these things?!  They aren't stonekin...

But Rock wasn't being as careful as he should have been. 

Why has the noise stopped?

Brisinger987

Temhota smiled, and led the man back to her table, and she suddenly sensed the presence of other half-bloods. Lots of them.

And on a dime, she turned, using her umbramancy to barricade the doors.

"I have a game to play for EVERYONE!" She did a little hop onto the table, smiling wildly, and her purple eye faded into red.

"My name is Temhota, and I'm your resident gameskeeper. Our first game tonight, is 'find the half demons'. To play, you have to figure out who the half demons are, and bring them to me! If any are hurt... There'll be hell to pay." Her psychotic personality was just one reason that she had suddenly decided to initiate a manhunt. And she couldn't be bothered to do it herself.

This was her type of game, and in this little dimly lit pub, she owned the floor. She was queen bee right now, and she wanted the demi-demons rounded up.

SapphireIceDragon

The woman's sudden announcement put Alena on edge.

"T-There are half demons here?" she whispered, her angel wings quivering beneath her cloak. I need to leave...She glanced at the door. However, a large shadow blocked it. Umbramancy...Alena's eyes widened. Her heart hammered in her chest, and her every instinct told her to run. "Excuse me f-for a m-moment..." She slowly got up from the table and started to walk down the hallway. I hope that woman didn't notice me leave...

Ferr Windston

Damion sighed and rubbed his temples, taking off his metal gauntlets and moaning low under his breath. Why did he always have to fall for the crazies? Why not just some normal woman? But then again when someone looks as Temhota looked he should have known better. He undid the cloak that covered his armor and blade, folding it calmly and placing it down on his seat.

His sword was acting oddly this day, flashing in faint hues of gold and then a rapid pulse of red. This had never happened before and the warrior didn't know why. Okay, perhaps it would pay him to play this little game. He placed the falx sword around his waist down onto the table and finished his water. Releasing a loud breath, Damion looked at Temhota and asked. "What has gotten over you? How would you know if their were half-blooded demons in this tavern. Look at these people, you might be frightening them."

His words held an honest tone to them, for he meant what he said. But also in the back of his head he wished to hear her response and her method.

Dansen

His new travelling partner seemed to be on edge, Calder could tell that for the most part, this girl was not a world weary traveler that was simply looking for company. Her demeanor seemed to be on of a person whose life was in the throes of life and death and it depended on how careful she was with her day to day life in getting to the nearest safe place in order to not be caught out by some sort of danger or unknown grim spirit following her waiting for the scythe blade to slip and take her life. She claimed aloud that she was fine... In most cases that was already a sign of danger around every corner but as she seemingly calmed herself yet still couldn't find the words to ask him their destination the young man tried to calm her worries on the road ahead. "We should be able to make it to Serendipity from here no problem, the roads aren't that treacherous, when we get their you can decide if my company is bad enough to want to leave---"

He was cut off by the strange woman in the presence of the large man who she had seemingly flirted with to get the attention of and to get a drinking companion. She jumped up and proclaimed that there was to be a sort of hunt, one for half-bloods of the demon variety... This was a negative position to be in, Calder himself was not so inclined, but he wasn't fully human anymore... The glyph on his arm made him more than that, albeit not fully demon to be sure... Yeah only about 1/5 of a demon, if were counting limbs... A mocking voice rang out again, but the mercenary chose to deny it any sort of response in the form of a retort. Her drinking companion was even less interested in the notion of such foolish things as rounding up those with such a dark heritage, though it didn't stop him from revealing his armor and checking his sword in a manner to seemingly scan for something... Its power was magical in a manner but holy magic seemed to sway the beast within Calder so long as it wasn't hungry.

The other person in distress was, of course his new companion... She seemed terrified at the idea of a group of half demons in the area. She noted the door had been blocked by the powers of the odd woman, so Alena made to enter the hallway of the inn looking to find some sort of exit elsewhere. Calder felt that if something was to happen he'd want to be sure that Alena was okay... He had promised to help her on the road, and he was sure that meant to protect her with this right now. As the girl left the table Calder moved swiftly also, with a quick slight of hand he managed to hide away his smaller sword into his hand, hoping it would not come to violence... He still had to make sure he was protected however. He walked towards Alena and caught up to her placing his hand on her shoulder looking to give her some comfort for the moment. "Don't worry about anything, if there are demons coming... I'd know, so I'll protect you while you're still in my care..." Trying to confirm that she had nothing to worry Calder prepped for whatever this strange half and half woman said when she chose the time to explain her actions.