Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

My first chapter

Started by Anonymous, July 29, 2005, 08:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did you like it?  (5 highest rating.  1 lowest)

0 (0%)
1 (100%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 29, 2005, 08:42:49 PM

Anonymous

Okay.  this is the first chapter in the book i'm writing, I Am Justice, about the events in the original star wars trilogy as seen through the eyes of an imperial soldier.  keep in mind that this is only a rough draft written by a guy with a ninth grade education, and i will appreciate any critiscism or suggestions any of you might have.  it's short for a chapter of a novel, but hey.  i suck.  thank you.

I AM JUSTICE
(a work of Star Wars fan fiction)

CHAPTER I

It was raining as Rath Damorian stepped off of his shuttle into the warm afternoon air of Carida’s southern continent.  He groaned as he hoisted his bag onto his shoulder.  
   â€œI’m never gonna get used to this gravity,â€? Rath thought as he walked past a couple of suspicious-looking natives.  He held his bag a little closer to his body, eyed the Caridans warningly, and, taking the hint, the would-be pickpockets backed off.  Rath smiled to himself.  Standing at six foot four and weighing over 200 hundred pounds, with broad shoulders, a hard face, and an athlete’s physique, he could present quite an imposing figure when he wanted to.  The fact that a Blastech DL44 was strapped to his hip didn’t hurt either.  Actually, Rath was surprised that they didn’t take his pistol away in customs, or at least drain the power pack, especially with the increasing amount of Mon Mothma’s terrorists making raids all over the Empire.  Of course, when you’re the son of the man who designed the infamously successful Carrack Cruiser for the Imperial Fleet, you’re bound to get a few perks.  
   After a little more walking, Rath glanced at his chrono.  He had half a standard hour before he was to report to the citadel, and after the long flight from Esseles, Rath wanted to unwind for a couple minutes before he enrolled to become one of the Emperor’s finest.  This in mind, he decided to have a short drink.  It took about ten minutes, but after passing up several seedy cantinas, Rath was able to find what looked like a fairly respectable establishment.  Even though he seriously doubted anyone would attempt to rob him, especially with the gleaming Imperial citadel looming several blocks away, the young man made sure to keep his belongings under close guard.  Rath, having grown up in a prestigious and respected Imperial family, had a particular dislike for all things poor or alien.  Even walking close to these animals made him feel like he needed to spend a good hour in the refresher.  By the time he stepped into the bar, Rath was thoroughly drenched from the tropical rain.  Walking up to the barstool he had claimed as his the moment he opened the door, he shook his head vigorously and ran his fingers through his wet, dark brown hair.  It was cut short in the military style, of course.  Rath inserted his credit chip into the bartender droid and waited for his drink as the droid mixed various liquors and juices within its torso, the original breast plate having been replaced with a transparent one to allow suspicious denizens to see that their drinks were made to perfection.  The droid gave him his drink, a Dantooine Dawn, a quite popular cocktail among the upper class of Esseles, and Rath took a sip, watching the bartender whisk away to another customer.  It was good, at least for a cheap star port bar, and he let it sit in the back of his mouth for a moment before swallowing and raising the glass to his lips for another sip.  Rath finished off his tumbler in three more drinks and walked back into the rain, feeling considerably better than before.
   The pavilion in front of the citadel was an amazing site.  At any one time there were at least one hundred storm troopers in the square, the various squads making their parades around it, ensuring that they never lost their discipline.  Rath, having grown up on a shipyard planet, was of course accustomed to armed patrols, but he had never seen anything like this.  Some of the Empire’s best trained soldiers, marching in disciplined military formations with white armor glistening in the brief patches of sunlight breaking through the cloud cover now and then.  It was something Rath would never forget.  
   More anxious than ever to begin his training, he walked as quickly as possible towards the citadel without looking comical.  The actual academy was on the outskirts of the city, near the wilderness, but all new recruits first checked into the citadel where they were tested so as to make sure that the Empire wasn’t wasting time and credits training hopeless cases.  Rath showed his identichip to the guard at the door wearing the rank insignia of lieutenant and was pointed through the doors to a desk to the side of the entrance hall labeled “Recruiting.â€?
   â€œIdentification and registration,â€? drawled a sergeant in his mid to late thirties, looking like there was something far more important he could be doing.  Rath handed him his Imperial I.D. and registration forms he had filled out when he decided to enlist.  
   â€œRath Damorian: reporting for basic training.â€?  The man looked up from the data pad in his hand.
   â€œI can see that,â€? he said with the same bored tone, this time with more than a hint of sarcasm.  
   Rath bit back a retort.  It wouldn’t do to be arrested for assaulting a military clerk the day he was supposed to begin basic storm trooper training.  
   â€œDown the hall, fourth door on the right,â€? the man at the desk told him, pointing down a corridor beside the desk leading farther into the building.
   â€œThanks.â€?  Rath picked up his bag and moved down the hall and into the room he was told.  Taking his place behind a lanky, blonde haired teenager two or three years his junior, he waited for his examination

Anonymous