Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Within the Beauty of Nature (DragonSong)

Started by KingTyrant, February 16, 2016, 12:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! I'm doomed! This was the only thing running through Neyan's mind. She panted, fleeing for her life as a large, angry basilisk stormed after her, its dragon-like tail whipping from side-to-side as it squawked and screeched loudly. She dodged low-hanging braches, leaping over rocks and roots, hoping to lose the animal along the way. Her attemps were futile, however, the basilisk just gaining on her more and more despite her attempts.

She squealed as she tripped over a hole in the ground, falling onto her hands and knees with a thud. She looked back at the creature, now looming over her as it expanded its leathery, feather-lined wings, letting out a menacing hiss. Her eyes widened, crawling backwards until she hit a tree. The basilisk dove its beak down at her, snapping at her neck with razor-sharp teeth. Neyan brought her foot up, kicking it in the face a few times, hoping to buy her some time. Though, it was clear now that she was as good as dead. After all, there was nobody in Draconi Forest for miles.

Neyan was heading back from Ketra, where she had been making profit by treating an outbreak of parasitic diseases. Her curiosity was what had gotten her into this mess... She just had to go towards the sound of squawking. She just had to investigate those weird tracks in the dirt. This was the first time she had ever seen a basilisk, and now she was paying for it.

DragonSong

It was the distinctly human squeal that caught his attention more than the squawking and hissing of the basilisk. Theoden frowned, irritated that his hunt had been interrupted, but when he heard the soft cry he figured he couldn't just leave whatever poor bastard had gotten themselves put on the creature's menu.

Running toward the sound, he saw the basilisk first and immediately nocked an arrow, drawing back and letting fly in less than a moment. He hadn't been aiming to kill, so the bolt struck the creature in the shoulder, a warning more than anything else.

Jumping forward, Theoden finally saw the young woman on the ground. "Get back," he said sharply, putting his body between her and the momentarily disabled basilisk.

KingTyrant

Neyan blinked at Theoden. She was stunned for more reasons then one. First of all, the arrow that seemed to fly out of nowhere and save her life. Second of all, that her rescuer was none other than a Wood Elf. The type of person you don't see too often. Not in her case, anyways.

As soon as his words registered in her mind, she scrambled to her feet, stumbling in shock as she got behind him as fast as she could. At this point, the basilisk had gotten back to its feet, bleeding heavily from its shoulder as it charged at the two of them. Neyan winced, expecting something bad to happen.

DragonSong

Theoden swore under his breath and fired another arrow, this one skimming just under the creature's eye. He really didn't want to kill it, not if he didn't have to, but this thing was pissed, and it was probably going to just keep coming.

Using his several moments of distraction, he tossed over his shoulder at the girl, "Get to a tree and climb as high as you can. They can jump pretty high, but climbing is beyond them." The basilisk lunged forward again and he shot another arrow, this one lodging in a wing joint. "Go!"

KingTyrant

Partially out of fear, partially out of just wanting to obey the man's orders, Neyan turned towards the nearest tree, running after it. She clawed into the bark with her nails, climbing for dear life. Every now and then she would slip, the bark offering very little to grip on with her hands and feet. She finally reached a sturdy branch that could support her weight, although it wasn't as far up as she had hoped. She remained here, however, looking down at the Elf and the basilisk.

She flinched as an arrow penetrated the basilisk's scaly hide, locking deep inside one of its wings and possibly permanently destroying one of the joints. The creature screeched in pain, back stepping for a little while before running off, a bloody trail being left behind it.

Neyan opened her eyes after awhile; she had them closed so she didn't have to witness the violence and brutatilty. She trembled, slowly looking down at Theoden. She felt bad... Mainly that he had to save her, and that the creature's attack was her fault. "I-Is it gone...?" She asked, her voice breathy and high-pitched.

DragonSong

Letting out a sharp breath of relief, Theoden looked up at the woman. "It's gone," he assured her, breathing rather heavily.

He moved toward the tree and leaned against it, hand going to a sharp pain in his side. The damn thing had spat at him as it left, the caustic saliva starting to eat away at his skin. "What the hell did you do to piss off a basilisk?" he asked gruffly, not looking at the woman as he spoke.

KingTyrant

Neyan was hesitant, but she eventually built up the courage to jump down from the tree, looking at her feet in obvious shame whilst pulling up her hood. At his question, she immediately looked up, eyes wide. "N-Nothing! I don't think I did anything... Did I? Well... I might've gotten a little close..." She answered, biting her lip and looking off to the side.

"I'm sorry... It's just... I've never seen a giant lizard-rooster before... And it was sooo cool!" She grinned, still amazed that such a creature could exist. She gazed at his wound, realization finally hitting her. "Oh no... Oh no... Um... I-I'm a healer, sir! I could help!" She smiled nervously, hoping to repay him for saving her life.

DragonSong

Theoden simply blinked at her at first, rather taken aback by her sudden chatter. He did snort a bit at the "lizard-rooster" comment though.

"A healer?" His eyebrows went up. That was lucky. "Uh... Yeah, actually, if you could take a look I'd be grateful." He tried to lift the edge of his shirt, hissing as the cloth scraped against the wound.

"I don't have coin to pay you," he warned, looking at the woman. "Not at the moment, anyway." Maybe she'd accept one of the rabbits he'd snared earlier as payment?

KingTyrant

Neyan shook her head rapidly, smiling as she pulled down her hood once more. She blinked her big, greyish-blue eyes at him, straightening her short, messy hair. "No need, sir! Sit down and I'll take a look!" She urged.

As soon as he was seated, Neyan kneeled, waving her hands over the burnt, raw skin. Her fingers and palms glowed a bright white, the girl mumbling long, obscure words under her breath. After a few minutes, the wound began to light up as well, the raw skin slowly being replaced with new, albeit scarred, tissue.

"There we go! It might ache a little... That's a side-effect of the magicy stuffs... Sorry!" She giggled, cocking her head to one side. She hugged him tightly out of nowhere. "Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!!! I was so sure I was gonna be rooster-food!" She exclaimed, immediately going back to her overly-excited aura that she almost always possessed.

DragonSong

Theoden winced at the foreign feeling of magic wandering over his skin, but he wasn't exactly about to complain. Especially if the girl wasn't going to ask for payment.

He froze when she threw her arms around him, eyes wide and jaw dropping. "Um. Yeah, sure. No problem." He patted her shoulder awkwardly, hissing in a sharp breath as the sudden hug jarred his side. She'd been right, it was a little sore.

Better than basilisk venom eating at his skin though. He'd have to figure out a way to pay her back for that, no matter what she said.

KingTyrant

Neyan pulled away, smiling at him and holding out her hand. "Neyan Addyanna! I'm... Technically a noble, but you can just call me your everyday healer!" She giggled, looking him over. "Wow... A real Wood Elf! I've only seen those High Elves that live near cities and whatnot... They're mean. But you're not! At least... I hope not." She rambled on giddily.

"Is there anything at all I can do for you? You deserve it! You're a hero!" She exclaimed, grinning. "Not only that, you're an Elf-rooster-slayer-adventurerer... Whatever! You get what I mean!" She laughed, jumping up to her feet and doing a little twirl. She was definitely energetic. A little too energetic...

DragonSong

Taking her hand, he just gaped at her as she chattered and bounced around. "Uh...Theoden," he introduced himself awkwardly, eyeing her up and down. Was she mad? She seemed mad.

KingTyrant

"Theoden... Ooh... I like that name!" She smiled sweetly. Although she was hyper and overly happy about everything, she seemed harmless enough. Besides, with zero weapons and such a short frame, what danger could she really possess?

She tilted her head, still smiling as she put her hands behind her back. "So... Where are you headed, Mr. Theoden? Ketra? I could show you the way! I just left Ketra! Or... Maybe you were just strolling through Draconi Forest! That's it, isn't it? I can see why... Nature is so beautiful!!!" She talked fast, not even stopping to breathe.

DragonSong

He blinked at her. "Just- just Theoden," he stammered out weakly, protesting the Mister. Pulling himself together, he shook his head and offered a small, rather bemused smile.

"No, Miss. Don't worry about it. I'm just on a hunt, I know my way around here." His brow furrowed and he glanced away into the trees. Any game for a mile would have been scared off by their little scuffle. Damn.

KingTyrant

She gasped, as if highly intrigued by something. "Hunt? You're a hunter?! Well... I guess that would make sense, with the bow and all..." She grinned. "What kind of animals do you hunt?" She asked, rocking back and forth on her feet.

DragonSong

"Er...lots of kinds." He gave her an odd look. "Deer. Hare. Wild boar, if I can find it. A few odder things on occasion. Why?"

Why wasn't she just leaving? He'd saved her neck, she'd healed him- that should be it, right? It wasn't that he objected to her presence, exactly, he was just confused by it.

KingTyrant

Neyan shrugged, still smiling. "Just curious. I guess I shouldn't be, though... After all, I nearly got eaten by a basilisk! Like they say, curiosity killed the cat! But I'm not a cat... So I guess I'm alright!" She exclaimed.

Neyan skipped around him, humming happily. "I don't know why... But I looove meeting new people! Especially when their just so... Cool!" She yipped, stopping directly in front of him. "Oh! I know, I know! How about I go hunting with you? Pretty please? I promise I won't get in the way!"

DragonSong

Theoden took a step back, looking down at the woman with wide eyes, and his back thumped into the tree. He winced, brow furrowing. "Look, lady-" he tried to cut across her, but she was talking too fast.

"Would you just- hang on a second- Alright!" He finally snapped, grabbing her by the shoulders. He let go almost immediately, whipping his hands back as though he'd been burned. Sighing, he ran his fingers through his hair and muttered. "Look, fine. You can stick with me for a while, but you have to stop talking."

It wasn't just that she was overwhelming to him, but she'd scare away any potential game at this rate!

KingTyrant

Neyan blinked, seeming surprised at his outburst. Oh boy... She was doing it again... That annoying thing everyone had told her she had a habit of doing. Noticing this, she nodded rapidly, moving her thumb and her index finger over her mouth in a zipping motion.

As much as she loved talking and laughing, she knew for a fact that not everyone was a fan, even though she had made lots of friends in Ketra due to her bubbly attitude. This Theoden guy meant business and obviously didn't feel like playing games. She understood, even if it annoyed her not to be able to speak.

"Sorry, sorry... Quiet time! I understand!" She whispered, giving a faint smile.

DragonSong

He let out a slightly relieved breath. "Right. Okay, thanks." Rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, he felt a prick of guilt at how abrupt he'd been. Damn, this was why he avoided people.

"Look, uh- it's not- I just don't want you scaring off the game," he mumbled eventually, shuffling his feet. He felt much younger than he was, uncomfortable around a stranger.