Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Recent posts

Sirantil Valley / Re: Mirror, Mirror
Last post by MadEmperor - Today at 09:18:46 AM
Dan didn't like it at all—not one bit—but he had to admit that they had few options. Convincing his parents of that, however, was a whole different matter.

"I was hoping to avoid the fighting altogether."  He sighed. "But if it comes to that, House Vannier isn't so prosperous that we have the manpower to defend against a seasoned mercenary brigade. And involving duchy soldiers is likely a bad idea. So, it certainly can't hurt to propose such an unorthodox solution."

The old woman chuckled. "Nothing so dramatic as giving the young man my life force. I just mean, if anyone here is to be caught using magic, it's better if it's someone with less life to lose."
Draconi Forest / Re: Lost Fledgling [MadEmperor...
Last post by MadEmperor - Today at 09:03:12 AM
Grimr looked away and was silent for, perhaps, a painfully long moment. Part of him knew that her valiant efforts would likely be in vain, but it wasn't real until she voiced it. He didn't want to stay as a bird forever, but he wanted even less to be abandoned again have to learn to trust someone with his life all over again.

Eventually, he turned his gaze up to her. "He could still come back. Right? Animals don't exactly have the best concept of time."
Hivan Ocean / Re: On Stranger Tides
Last post by MadEmperor - Today at 08:40:07 AM
Gracia shook her head like a teacher weary of corralling excitable children.  "I swear, neither of you ever took anything seriously."

She chuckled to herself. "But this is just a social call—mostly—so come on in.

"Yes, mom," Thrax sighed theatrically, stepping inside. For that, he received a playful swat on the head, even though she had to stand on her tiptoes to do it. He barked a laugh in return.
The Thunderblacks / Re: City of Stone
Last post by MadEmperor - Today at 08:15:12 AM
"Of course, but..." Ein paused, unsure what she was talking about. "What do you mean by 'island hopping'?"

He had rarely even seen the ocean, and not once had he been on an island of any variety. There was no frame of reference for him to grab onto. And why was the idea making her smile so?
Niahi Woods / Re: All Creatures Great and Sm...
Last post by MadEmperor - Today at 08:01:12 AM
Nobody had ever questioned his beliefs so directly. He had never had to defend them to anyone either, so for a moment he was at a loss, flabbergasted by the  blatant disrespect his faith was getting.

"What, pray tell, makes you such an expert that you can call an entire nation, the technological leader of all Le'raana, so completely wrong about the nature of the world?" he said, his voice full of injured pride.
Coastal Serendipity / Re: Latent Dream (Summervale) ...
Last post by GoblinFae - Today at 07:29:25 AM
Without being able to see through his tears and hands, Theo completely missed Fletcher's protests and so continued to sob and apologize without interruption. "First there was the..." he quieted as he signed the word for 'kiss' before continuing, "and then you got in trouble when I promised you everything would be okay and it wasn't and I was too cocky and let my ego get in the way. Everything's been falling apart and it's all my fault. I thought if I just gave you space it would be okay but I should have just apologized sooner. And I'm so, so sorry. I've ruined everything. And I said such horrible things to you. I called you the worst names. I've never even used those words out loud before and I was so mad and I took it out on you. And then I went and had another pathetic pity party," he spat the words flailing his right hand up into the air only to whimper-groan at the pain and bring both hands back into his lap.

Sniffling and with red, teary eyes Theodore finally looked up at his friend and met his gaze. "This is not how friends behave. I am so," the breath caught in his lungs making his words shutter and shake, "so sorry. For my actions. My words. Everything."
His face fell like a stone. He was sure that hand hurt like hell, but he hadn't been expecting it to bring Theo to tears like this. The medicine jerked and splashed with every sob and threatened to tip over altogether. Fletch stood and strode to retrieve it, setting it gently back on the bedside table. He'd just turned to return to where he'd been sitting when Theo spoke.

The weight of it could have crushed him. His lips parted but no argument emerged, and for a moment, all he could do was watch on in horror as the damage he'd done came pouring out. If there was ever a sign that he was poison to this place, this was it. He made his way slowly back to the chair he'd dragged up next to the head of the bed and slumped back into it.

"Theo. No."

He rubbed his face, trying desperately to come to grips with how much he'd hurt the man he'd tried to keep safe. He didn't know where to even begin to fix it in this moment, so he waited, patiently and silently, for the man to finish.
Last post by GoblinFae - Today at 06:21:24 AM
Fletcher smiled at him and Theo burst into tears. The weight of the months of their deteriorating friendship that had resulted in his disgusting, violent, on cruel outburst on the training grounds followed by his own guilt-filled pity party and broken hand slammed into him all at once. Oh how he had missed that smile, had missed his friend and their bond. To have it now when he deserved it the least just made him cry harder. His medicine was precariously abandoned so he could bury his face in his hands while sobbed all the harder. 

"I don't deserve it...or you. I have been so awful to you and I'm so sorry. I'm a terrible friend."
Last post by Nightcrawler - March 27, 2024, 09:54:47 PM
Satisfied that Theo wouldn't spill the medicine all over himself, Fletch stepped away to stand awkwardly over him. He lasted all of two seconds like that before finding a spot at the foot of the bed and sitting there instead. "None," he replied. "By any measure that counts, anyways. The healer made sure your mum took it seriously. If she tries to pretend she didn't hear him, I'm sending for him again and again until she shuts her damned mouth."

He laughed softly and smiled what must have been his first genuine smile at Theo in weeks. "I think I've about had it with her," he continued. "And I suppose that means you'll get some entertainment if she starts her shit back up. Something to look forward to, ey?"

Fletcher motioned with his head towards the unconsumed medicine. "Drink it, please. It's for the pain."
Last post by GoblinFae - March 27, 2024, 08:37:01 PM
Theo recoiled his head back from the drink as he attempted to reach for it with his injured right hand. He was still so foggy from passing out and the pain, that it took several reaching attempts to figure out that he couldn't use that hand and that was the reason why Fletcher was playing keep away with the cup. Finally, he managed to accept it with his left hand although he immediately placed it in his lap instead of drinking from it.

"What happened? Why am I...home? Yes, home. How much trouble am I in?"