Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wanderers (Open)

Started by Anonymous, December 11, 2009, 06:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Zakar sat on a rock by the road, and stared into space.  He'd been traveling for two days now.  The last village had been kind enough to him.  It had been a peaceful stay, but a group of travelers had wandered into town.  Zakar had thought he had recognized one of them.  That had been enough to start him on his way.  He sighed to himself.  Life had been this way since he and Misha had fled their home in Adela months before.  A group of rogue Mordecai had turned up in the village they called home.  No one had said anything about Zakar, and he had simply worked with herbs when one of their number had come to him for healing.  A poulstice and a bandage had seen the fellow on his way.  But Zakar had been sure the fellow had been able to tell the subtle illness his presence brought.  Zakar and Misha had fled that very night.  It all seemed so very long ago.

So very long...

His attention wandered to the other side of the road where wildflowers grew in great abundance.  Standing amidst them and picking especially pretty ones was the small skeleton of a human girl, Misha.  Zakar's first...servant?  Familiar?  Child?  Misha was the very first corpse and spirit he had rejoined.  That had been years ago.  Zakar didn't think of her any differently than the children who ran clothed in flesh through the streets of villages.  Misha was a child.  A very special child, yes, but a child nonetheless.  A smile played across his face as Misha put tulip through her eye socket.  She was aware of what she was, if only dimly.  Her spirit was a child when she died, and had returned to her own bones.  Zakar doubted she understood exactly what had happened, but Misha knew she was "alive" again and was happy with what she had.

Waving a hand, Zakar caught Misha's attention and waved her over to him.  The small skeleton skipped across the road to Zakar and presented her face to Zakar, as if asking him what he thought of her addition.  He smiled at Misha, playfully tapping the bridge of her nose.  Misha started back in mock indignation, and fell backwards across a rock.  There was a faint clicking sound as she hit a smaller rock, but it was mostly muffled by Misha linen dress, dirty from the days of traveling.  Zakar laughed cheerfully at the sight.  Misha, however, didn't move.

"Misha?  Oh, Misha, what's wrong?"

Did something disrupt the magic?  Is there a mordecai around?

Zakar's eyes darted around quickly, but he saw no one.

"Misha?"

He crouched by the small skeleton.  Waving a hand over Misha, Zakar tried to figure out what had gone wrong only to have Misha spring to life and hug his midsection.  Zakar smiled at the sight.

"Silly girl..."

Anonymous

"well, well what do we have here the dead and the liveing playing together? my, my what an interesting piece of work you have there!" As Relyks came up from behind. "How fun it must be dead but still alive i never knew how to do that my self but i get by on my fire, but still it look as if she is happy to be alive."

Anonymous

Zakar whirled around to face Relyks, and pushed Misha behind him.  Whoever the man was, he had snuck up on them and there was no way of telling how he was going to react.  His words seemed kind enough.  However, Zakar had run into people like that before where the actual intention was to mock him before trying to attack.  Misha fidgeted behind Zakar's robes.  She clutched the side of one of Zakar's legs and craned her head out to look at Relyks.  She too remembered all the bad times along the road.

"She is not a piece of work.  She is a child," Zakar said, keeping his tone even.

Fire?  An elementalist.  I do hope he means no ill.  I've nothing to defend myself with.  But at the same time, at least he isn't a Mordecai.

"Yes, she is happy.  Who might you be?"

Anonymous

Secret Ryvre had been sitting near a stream by the road, allowing her mount a drink after a long day of traveling.  She had noted the man sitting near the road on a rock, his clothes showing the signs of one doing traveling as well.  She had planned to approach the man and question him about whether or not he had seen and Ravenspeakers during his travels, when the man lifted his hand waved to a little girl by the road.  The little girl ran over to him and man and girl were happy, Secret Ryvre could sense that.  She smiled briefly as she watched the couple, then stood up and stretched her whole 6 feet of self, preparing to go approach the man.  She nickered to her mount to follow and began to walk to the man, her long black hair flowing slightly in the afternoon breeze.

Before she reached the man and the child, she noticed another individual approaching the man from behind, in a flash she had her blade in hand and was mentally calling the elements to her aid; if this traveling man and the child knew anything about Ravenspeakers, she had to salvage them.  She stood stock still, her tunic of browns and greens allowing for some camoflouge against the grass and the trees, and her mount proceeded to munch on grass.  She watched intently, her deep blue eyes never waivering from the approaching man, when suddenly he spoke and the man jumped up, pulling the little girl behind him.  But what caught Secret Ryvre's interest is what the man said.

Dead but alive? What did this mean?  She looked from the man speaking back to the little girl hiding behind the traveler... She looks like a normal child to me...  Was the child enchanted to be seen differently than what she is?  Still in her place of minute concealment she watched on, noting the uneasiness of the traveler as well as the child.  Something was going on with this couple, but what?  Secret Ryvre really didn't think that it was any of her business, what was her business was to question the man about any possible sighting of a Ravenspeaker.

Anonymous

"I am Relyks Sharansar, Enchanter and fire mage at your service. I am actually looking for my twin sister who kind of ironically has power over ice *chuckle, sigh* sadly she  was kidnapped by someone and I want to find her so I can have my assistant back for my shop." while Rel was talking he turned around and looking into the sky

"I wish I knew where where she is watching you play with you 'child' remindes me of when me and my sister use to play with our counter magic, She would always win *sigh* I wish for those good days back" Turns back around to face Zakar "mind if i show you something?"

Anonymous

Watching Relyks carefully, Zakar did not notice Secret.  He focused intently on Relyks.  The man had come from nowhere, and was speaking freely.  There was no sign of immediate hostility.  Perhaps the fear of the mordecai was simply weighing heavily on Zakar.  Spirits alone knew what they would do to Misha if they caught her.  Well, honestly, there really wasn't much.  Too long in their presence would simply release the bonds that allowed Misha to animate her body instead of just temporarily nullifying them.  But then again, they could do something horrible if they realized Misha wasn't just a simple, mindless undead.

I won't let them take her.  We'll walk until my feet bleed and then keep walking before I allow those demon-spawned whelps to touch her!

Relyks had something about his sister.  The man seemed to genuinely miss his sibling.  Especially given he was telling Zakar, who was for all intents and purposes an absolute stranger.  There was a creeping nostalgia in Relyks' voice that was hard to ignore.  No, he couldn't be a threat.  He was a mage.  A traveler.  A brother of the road, if one could go so far.  And he had not immediately declared Zakar to be some devilish thing for having the skeleton of a child following him around.

"Mind if I show you something?"

"Well, I suppose that would depend very much on what you wanted to," Zakar was interrupted by Misha urgently tugging on his robes.

Misha bobbed slightly when she noticed Zakar paying attention to her, and pointed fervently at the woods.

Anonymous

Secret Ryvre noticed at once when the child's eyes fell upon her.  Quickly, she tucked the knife in her belt behind her back before the child let her location be known to the the men.  The child began tugging at the travelers robes to get his attention, and promptly let her secret hiding place become known by pointing a tiny finger in her direction.  Perhaps the man speaking of his sister meant no harm to this couple, but when in doubt, Secret Ryvre would air on the side of caution and keep her fingers at the ready of her knife, and the elements close and ready to strike with a command.  With a sigh, Secret Ryvre emerged from the woods, walking into the sunlight of the afternoon air.  In the sun, it was apparant that her hair was not just jet black as it may have appeared in the shadows of the woods, but streaked with natural blue highlights.  And her eyes were the electrifying match to those highlights.  She was quite tall, at least six feet tall, but she didn't slouch to hide her height compared to the men; she stood proud and had the air of nobility shrouding her persona.  She began to approach the small group, her hair flowing around her back and shoulders, her mount snuffing at the ground with a grunt of impatience.

"Greetings fellow traveler.  I wished to speak to you of a topic of great importance after this kind gentlemen was through speaking..."

Her eyes shifted as she looked down her nose to the small girl, meeting her eyes steadily.

"However I seem to have lost my skill of camoflouge and have been spotted out by a most observant member of your group."

A small smile tugged at the corner of her mouth and she gave the girl a small wink that was to be seen by only the girl.

"I do apologize for the interruption, but I do require a moment of your time once this kind gentlman is through with you."

She said this last bit while holding her gaze with Zakars, the full impact of her gaze for him alone, before looking to Relyks, nodding her head slightly, and waiting, as if she were an orignal member of this group, for Relyks to demonstrate.

Anonymous

"Well I have a spare ring, so let see if i can still do this still i havent done this for about a week." Zakar, Ryvre and Misha felt the heat around then disapate as they noticed a ball a fire apeared on Rels hand.

"now i place the ring in the fire and i can enchant it with the power of the Loved of the Flame who ever wears this will e healed by any flame but i dont know if it will work on you little friend there" pointing to Misha "whats her name any way?"

Anonymous

Secret's emergence, unlike Relyks's arrival, did not startle Zakar.  He had come to grow used to the idea that Misha was more observant than he.  Death seemed to have a focusing effect on the mind.  The little girl seemed to notice even the smallest things.  She'd wandered in a field of flowers and find one that wasn't quite like the others immediately; sometimes she'd reached into a bed of clovers and pull out one of the rare ones with four leaves immediately.  Zakar had begun to teach Misha basic herb lore before they'd been driven from their home.  In time, Misha would be a useful assistant in addition to a small joy.

"I do apologize for the interruption, but I do require a moment of your time once this kind gentlman is through with you."

Zakar nodded to Secret, not flinching at her gaze.  Misha on the other hand realized her grip on Zakar's robes at the wink.  It almost seemed as if the small skeleton was smiling.  She wandered over to Secret, and reached up to her eyesocket.  Removing the tulip, she offered it to Secret.  Misha's skeletal fingers gingerly holding the stem of the flower up as high as she could.

"now i place the ring in the fire and i can enchant it with the power of the Loved of the Flame who ever wears this will e healed by any flame but i dont know if it will work on you little friend there."

"Well, that's all very interesting, but what was the purpose of the demonstration?"

"whats her name any way?"

"Misha," Zakar said.

Anonymous

"Well the reason I did this was to show that i don't mean any harm and I haven't enchanted anything for weeks." now turning toward Secret barely remembering her there, "so what was it you wanted to say?"

Anonymous

Secret Ryvre watched as Misha relaxed, her small hand releasing Zakars robes.  Something about this young child reminded Secret of her younger brother Liam when he was a child...  Her blue eyes seemed to deepen in thought and the grey storm in the back of them began to brew as her brothers image floated through her mind: black hair similar to Secret's, tanned skin, young and energetic green/grey eyes, laughing and running around the yard as Secret caused the wind to blow the fallen leaves off the ground and assault him with a blizzard of golden leaves.  He was always so happy... why did this have to end?  Secret pushed the thought from her mind.  This was not the time to contemplate what must be done...

Secret refocused her attention to the girl who was now standing on her tip-toes, reaching up to Secret with a flower in hand.  Secret reached down to take the flower from the girl, lifted it to her nose and inhaled, closing her eyes in the process.  When she opened her eyes she focused on the girls face and grinned slightly.

"This is a lovely flower, thank you child."

At this she bent and knelt on one knee so that she was nearly eye level with the girl.  She leaned forward so that only the girl could hear her next words.

"Now it's my turn.  Shall we give this flower some friends?"

From here she turned her blue eyes to the flower, closed them again and mentally called the element of earth to her.  She felt the element surround her with it's warmth and sweet smells.  She could feel the beating of draining life from the dying flower, but it was still there.  She focused the earth element to the flower. Mother, give it life...  Instantly the flower began to pulsate in her hand, and when she opened her eyes she knew what she would see.  The flower was sprouting several little buds at it's base that began to grow to roots.  These roots began to form quickly into stems, then to flowers, the same as the one that Misha had plucked.  Within a moment, the flowers were full bloom and Secret was holding a bouqet of wildflowers, roots hanging from her hand.  She lifted her eyes to Misha and grinned before handing the child the flowers.

Anonymous

"Bleh" Leothiel opened his eyes and and sat up slowly, his head were still quite heavy, for he had been sleeping quite heavily. Slowly his left hand moved up to rub his eyes, his other hand idly scratching his side. He crawled out of the cocoon he had created earlier by melding a pack of wolves together, as he had not had the good fortune of finding someone with a tent along the way, sleeping under the stars was never something he enjoyed. It probably had something to do with heights, but he were not certain. His mind cleared as he realized why he had woken up two days early of what he had planned. The feeling of magic lingered in the air and the source of it was not all that far away from his location...

He cursed his curious nature as he began to dress himself and walk in their direction, it was not long before he heard voices, he stopped just out of view of the small crowd, leaning against a tree as he listened to the conversation. He had no real reason to hide himself other then the fact that he might miss out on some valuable information if he showed himself. Yet it seemed to be idle talk rather then some secret roadside cult meeting, so without any further notice he walked out of the woods and approached the group with a wide smile, that bared his sharp canine teeth slightly, those red eyes of his giving a faint pulse of energy as he said in his most cheery voice "Ho' there fellow wanderers, my name is Leothiel! How fare you this fine day?" His eyes slid to the reanimated girl briefly, to then slowly scan the group.

Anonymous

"Who have we here looks like another wanderer? does this feel as fit it is some sort of wanderer meeting or is it just me?" Rel said as he noticed Leothiel walk into the area. "look like I should get going now." Noticing the sun angle " I think I might have over stayed my welcome here i best be getting on with my search for my sister, is it not?" As Rel started walking he through the ring to Zakar "here you probably need this more than i do."

Anonymous

Secret lifted her blue eyes and straightened herself from her kneeling position to her full height as she sensed another approaching, mentally calling the other 4 elements, still having earth element called to her.  She spotted the man just before he emerged from the woods and made note of his every detail.  She had a sense about him, a feeling, but she could not place it; so instead she watched and waited for the man to reach the group.  After the man gave his greetings, Secret nodded, her black hair falling around and down her shoulders and back and she looked at the man with an air of nobility around her.

"Greetings fellow traveler, 'tis a fine day indeed."

She said this last part with a bit of sarcasm trailing behind.  She stepped back and took in both Zakar and the Leothiel in her gaze.

"Perhaps you fine young travelers can give me some information that you may have picked up along your journeys."  Her gaze met Relyks briefly, "Or perhaps you, kind sir, will be able to assist me."

Her gaze shifted again to take in the rest of the group.  "I need to know if during your travels, or perhaps here in town, any of you have run across a lone gypsy, or a band of traveling gypsies.  The members of this tribe call themselves Ravenspeakers and it is of utmost importance that I find them."

Here eyes flashed a dangerous shade before quickly returning to their normal entrancing blue.  She turned her gaze to Zakar, locking with his with full intensity and spoke the next words directly to him. "The lives of our loved ones may be at stake."  Her gazed shifted purposefully to Misha before locking with Zakar's once more.

Anonymous

Rel hearing this is stopped in his tracks "Ravenspeakers? i have heard of them and.." looking towards the ground "...I think they might have taken my sister." Rel then looked up where where was the last place you heard of their whereabouts?" Rel asked comeing back toward the group.

Anonymous

Misha gleefully took the flowers in her hands, and bounced about cheerfully with them.  She'd seen magic before, of course.  And a soothing voice, Zakar's, had called with magic to return her back to the world.  But she'd never seen magic that made flowers grow!  She wandered back over to the rock that Zakar had been sitting on and hopped up.  The young girl began to look intently through all the flowers, ignoring the rest of the world.  Zakar gave her a quick glance to make sure she was well before returning his attention to the others.  He wordlessly accepted the ring offered by Relyks, and began to give his thanks when Leothiel appeared.

No ill feelings.  Can't be a mordecai.  And this group would be a match for those few that came to the village.  These people look like they can fight.  Thank the spirits for small blessings.  At least they don't appear hostile.

"Greetings to you as well, and to you as well.  Misha seems happy with that little trick.  I'm afraid I don't know that one.  I've not heard of these Ravenspeakers, or run into anyone matching that description.  But Misha and I have not been around here long."

Anonymous

He idly stood by the group and listened to Secret's words about the Ravenspeakers and their foul intentions, he were interested in who these Ravenspeakers could be and the various riches they might possess. He turned his attention to the woman seeking these gypsies, his eyes trailing across her form slowly to take her appearance in fully. He felt she had a connection to everything around her, could be that she had mastered forms of elemental magic? The one who had given the ring to the necromancer could most likely harness flame, as he had shown his skill just some moments ago. So a group of four mages randomly meets in the middle of the road, the likeliness of that isn't very large he realised... Could the magic in them somehow have guided them to this meeting? It was a interesting thought and it wasn't long before Leothiel fully believed that was just the case, and that meant that these Ravenspeakers obviously also had something to do with this rare coincidence, so without any further delay he said: "I would gladly help you find these Ravenspeakers, I have many abilities which might prove useful... And I also think it sounds like a noble goal, as they are a threat.. Not to mention the fact that they have this mans sister!" He nodded to Rel.

Anonymous

Secret's gaze left Zakar's and moved to Relyk with his statement that he thought he had heard of the damnable Ravenspeakers. She looked to Misha to be certain that she had her mind involved in something aside from the conversation that was going on. When was the last time I had seen one? The blood of the last one was probably dried under her fingernails and still smelled strongly in her nostrils. But she did not need to reveal this to the wanderers.

"I am close to a few of their kin, but we know not where they abide." The images of her two brothers flashed through her mind, and even her own, looking back at her. She could see the vile blood running through her veins as well as her brothers in her minds eye and she had to stop herself from revealing the rage that she was feeling. She was not ready to accept this.  Suddenly the new comer spoke, had agreed to aid her in the hunt for the Ravenspeakers...  Perhaps he did not know what she was up against, or perhaps he did.  She had to be careful not to reveal too much to this man, or this group for that matter.  Instead, she looked back to the others and spoke in a strong voice.

"This tribe is not foolish and may appear to be nothing more than interesting and mysterious beings to the untrained eye. However they are a cunning band and will go to any means to achieve what they want; so I warn you now to be cautious and keep those that are dear to you close at all times." Her gaze shifted once again to Misha, studying the flowers intently, before looking back at Leothiel "And you, kind sir, we shall have to speak in detail about what we are up against before you foolishly agree to anything."  Her eyes turned the dangerous shade of blue and grey, the storm brewing with her anger.

"They must be stopped..." She said nearly under her breath.

Anonymous

Rel to release his rage shoots a fire ball at a close by tree which explodes on impact "With my power I will hunt down those who have taken my sister they will burn in my righteous flame, If I must I will hunt into the voids of darkness to the brightest lights in heaven I will find them and my sister!" As Rel said this he looked back to the group "I am coming with no matter what you say I am prepared to do anything to find my twin.

Anonymous

Zakar watched the others.  They were rapidly rallying to the unknown woman's cause.  She hadn't even said her name.  Just what she was aiming to do.  Was it really all that wise?  They had no idea who she was.  No idea what was going to happen, against enemies with no clue of their capabilities.  It was foolish...and vaguely noble.  Zakar unconciously began to run his hand across Misha's skull, his fingers tracing the cracks in the skull plate from where they had fused as Misha had been growing while alive.  The girl had no hair for him to run his fingers through, but this was essentially the same thing.

They are going to do something incredibly foolish with no plan.  They are going to get themselves hurt.  By the spirits, people just don't think these things through.  These aren't the tales!

"Excuse me, but despite your fantastic powers, do any of you have the least bit of an idea of how to heal yourselves?  What herbs can be used to make a poulstice?  How to set a bone?  You're all discussing a dangerous thing, but seem to be forgetting the practical considerations of such a thing."

Misha plucked a petal from one of the larger flowers, and put it in the hole where her nose would be.