Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Flora and Fauna ((Quills!))

Started by Anonymous, January 31, 2010, 06:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

After having some sort of odd dream about plants and medicine, Oliver opened his eyes slowly and felt a dull pain in his arm. He glanced around, seeing Ulma. He smiled brightly, an odd expression to see on the face of a poisoned person. "Well, hello!" He looked at his arm. "Thank you very much for helping to heal me." He still had this little innocent smile on his face.

Anonymous

"Oh, we are not yet finished," muttered Ulma without looking up from her work. She was still grinding away at the mixture in the bowl, and would be for some time. "You get sick again soon. You need this, but it take time for to be making."

She scowled slightly as she worked. How could he be smiling right now, when he was still so ill? She wanted to shout at him, to ask him how he could be so careless, but it wouldn't help. He was still poisoned, and the last thing she wanted was to make him feel worse. For now, she channelled the feelings into her work, crushing the leaf residue with vigour. The lecture could wait until he was cured.

Anonymous

Oliver still was smiling. "Okay." He tilted his head to the side. Even though he didn't feel good, he was still happy. Why? Well, he was alive, wasn't he? And he had someone helping him get better. That was good enough for him, really. He glanced at her face, looking a bit confused for a second. "You look annoyed at something. What is it?"

Anonymous

"Just wish it not so long to be taking," replied Ulma, still working hard. It wasn't entirely a lie. She did want to cure him faster, because this poison was nasty. She also didn't want to lie to him, so the sooner he was well enough to be yelled at, the better.

"If you are not well to be feeling," she added, "tell me what is wrong. I have many medicine, they help until I can for good the poison to be curing."

Anonymous

Oliver nodded. "Um, well...I feel okay, so I don't think you need to be worried about that. As long as I'm not dead, I'm well." He smiled again. He said, quietly, "I've been in worse situations than this...it's fine."

Anonymous

Worse than death poison? That had to be pretty bad. Well, Oliver probably wouldn't want to talk about it, so Ulma wouldn't ask. She was nothing if not discreet. Besides, this wasn't really the time for tales of tragedy. At times like this, talk should be either cheerful or practical. She wasn't a doctor, and as such her bedside manner was rather lacking, but she knew that patients should be kept upbeat.

She nodded and gave him a thin smile. "Well, I have medicine for pain, or sick, or tired, so if you are to be wanting them, you ask. They are no good for to be having if I never use them, yes?"

Anonymous

Oliver shook his head. "Ah....I'm just a bit sleepy, that's all. Probabaly supposed to be because of this poison, huh? Well...And aren't sick people supposed to get sleep?" He looked up into the branches, his smile fading for a moment, then he closed his eyes, half between sleep and being awake. He mumbled something about his brother.

Anonymous

"If that is what you are wanting," said Ulma quietly. She worked on in silence, letting Oliver sleep. He spoke a few times, something about his brother. She wondered vaguely where this brother was if he was important enough to dream about, but it was none of her business, was it?

She kept on crushing the leaves into the liquid for a while longer, then poured the mixture into a thick clay jug with a lid. She needed a fire, but the jungle was far too damp to find kindling. Luckily, she'd found and bought a little metal contraption in Arca, which she dripped some lamp oil into and lit, setting the jug on top to boil for a while. When it was done, she strained it into a bowl, added a little honey to make it easier to drink and left it to cool.

She nudged Oliver gently, to wake him. "It is ready."

Anonymous

Oliver's eyes opened slowly. He looked over at her, smiling. He said, looking thoughtful, "I had an odd dream..." Then, he glanced at the bowl, curious. "Is that it?" He tilted his head to the side.  "Does it taste bad?"

Anonymous

Ulma sighed with relief as Oliver's eyes opened. That meant the poison hadn't worked its way back into him too quickly. She sat back and lifted the bowl. It wasn't too hot in her hands, so hopefully it would be cool enough to drink comfortably. As for the taste, well...

"I do not know. I hope not." She gave the tea a cautious sniff and her wrinkled face creased in disgust. "But I guess yes."

She passed the bowl over. "But no matter. You must to be drinking it anyway. All of it, now."

Anonymous

Oliver said, "Well, here it goes.." He held the bowl, drinking the medicine quickly and looking like he was having a hard time making himself drink it. It was hot, but not too hot.When he was finished with it, he put the bowl down and sighed. "That tasted kinda bad, but I guess I'll get better now, huh?" He smiled cheerfully.

Anonymous

Ulma watched Oliver drink the horrible stuff, expecting complaining even with the honey. But... Nothing. He just drank it all, with a smile on his face. He was every doctor's dream patient. "That should be the cure, yes," she told him confidently. "You are fine."

"Now..." Her expression changed from gentle smile to scowl. It was time for The Talk. "We speak about how you to be behaving, young man. You have to be having more attention! You watch what you do, yes? If I not here, you die from that! Are you understanding me?"

Anonymous

Oliver's smile faded a bit, and he said, "Oh...that's what was wrong? But.." He smiled good-naturedly. "I could have avoided it...but I didn't! Why? Because, if I hadn't of taken the hit, you would have gotten the thorn in your arm instead!" He looked happy. Well, not like there was much time when he didn't look happy.

Anonymous

"Well..." Ulma faltered a little in her outpouring of concern-slash-rage. He had definitely triggered the shot, but she didn't know if it was while he was escaping or because of his step back. She didn't have any proof either way. She was, at heart, a scientist, and she couldn't make judgements with no evidence.

But she was also a grandmother, and there were Grandmotherly Things to be said at times like these, evidence or no. "You still not to be scaring me! I am old lady, scares not good for health. You remember that, yes?"

Anonymous

Oliver nodded, looking guilty. "I'm sorry for scaring you." He sighed. "That wasn't a good thing to do." He lowered his head, looking up at her. "Is there something I can do to make up for me being stupid?"

Anonymous

Ulma sighed and smiled warmly, shaking her head. "No... No... You not need to be doing anything." She placed her hands on Oliver's shoulders. "You just not scare me again, yes?"

She started gathering her things together to pack them away. After this, she didn't want to take another chance with the plant. She just wanted to get away from here, to get Oliver away from here. She had what she'd come here for, after all. Trying to get some of the assassin's beauty-plant, that was just her being greedy. She didn't need it. Really, it had always been her fault that he got hurt.

Anonymous

Oliver smiled again. "Alright." He looked around as she packed up, making sure to be careful. He wished he could stretch out his wings and fly, but it was too dense with trees. He spotted a brightly colored bird. It was red and blue, feathers shimmering. He made a bird call and it flew towards him, onto his outstreached arm. It chirped softly, and he said, "Isn't he an interesting looking bird?" He stroked its back with two fingers.

Anonymous

Ulma finished stuffing the dirtied utensils back into the already overfilled packs and pouches on the animal's back. She wiped her hands on her clothes, turning to look when Oliver said something. He was holding a little bird. She wasn't all that interested in birds, because they weren't plants, and she had no idea what sort it was.

Still, if it was a flower, it would be a very nice one. If she looked at it that way, she could appreciate it. "Yes," she smiled. "It is very pretty. It is to be coming with us?"

Anonymous

Oliver observed the bird for a moment, then said, "He wants to stay here. He can't get his food elsewhere." He let the bird go. As he watched the little bird fly away, an unusual look crossed his face; a tired look that made him seem older. "Everything that is recieved cannot be held onto forever; it must be taken away at some point." He sighed.

Anonymous

Ulma nodded when Oliver let the bird go. She'd thought as much. With plants, it was hard for them to survive where the soil, and the amounts of water and light, were different. Of course animals would have the same kinds of problems.

But his look... That was a strange expression to see on such a young face. Generally that kind of observation, and that wistfulness, came with age. "That is true... But it is only natural if you do not want to be letting it go," she added gently.

She had a brief, longing thought of her late husband... No. He was long gone. It wouldn't do to get maudlin when there were things to be done. "So," she said brusquely, untethering Ugly from the tree, "Is there anything you want to be doing here? Or shall we to be leaving?"